Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Television (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Violence in the meda.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Violence in the meda.  (Read 2471 times)
Kryptid

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2006, 12:29:43 AM »

For those of you who remember me, I was Supercryptid. For some reason, it wouldn't let me log in as that username, so I had to make a new one.

Now, there is something about me that you should consider when you read this thread: I have reason to believe that I suffer from a disorder called "scrupulosity". For those of you who do not know what that is, it "is the obsessive concern with one's own sins frequently focusing on acts or thoughts not usually considered sins within one's religious tradition", as quoted from Wikipedia. It is related to obsessive-compulsive disorder, which I have also had in the past.

However, this thread is not about scrupulosity. It is about violence. If you want to say something about scrupulosity, please say something about the topic at hand as well.

It goes without saying that violence has become a large part of our movies, cartoons, comics, and pretty much everything else. Most people have a certain tolerance level of violence. They say that "x amount of violence is too much" and "x amount of violence is okay". Where should we draw the line? Even silly cartoon antics like turning someone into a pancake by hitting them with a hammer is a type of violence. But most people probably wouldn't condemn something so simple as that.

I think my main concern here is the "good guy vs. bad guy scenario". A hero fights for what is right and does what they can to defeat a villain who has ill intentions for the world. Surely, the hero's intentions are justified in doing that. There's a valuable lesson to be learned from such things, since it shows good triumphing over evil. But is that what people watch such shows for? Do they watch it for the moral values? Or do they watch is just because they are entertained by the acts of violence? A hero has a right to fight for peace, but do we have a right to enjoy his fighting?

Even now, I enjoy "action-based" media because I like to watch characters fight. That's true for many people. Assuming that, in the context of a fictional show, a conflict could be resolved either peacefully or violently, I would usually prefer (within reason) to see it settled violently. That's why someone would even watch an "action" show in the first place, isn't it? When you watch a good guy and a bad guy fight, you usually don't think "the good guy's doing something noble", but rather you would think "this fight is cool!".

Now, as for levels of violence, it comes in many degrees. At the least intense stage, you have comedic violence. People usually get bopped and thwacked without lasting injury in these sort of things. Then, you get to a more serious, but mild level of violence. People fight each other, but the biggest injury is usually nothing more than bruising. Higher still, you get to the point where there's a little blood here and there, and maybe even broken bones. At its worst, violence on TV or comics could reach the level of gore, dismemberment, impalement, as spurting of blood. In short, red becomes the most prominent color on the battlefield.

When is violence too much? Is any violence too much?

Now, I could be too stringent if I were to say that all violence, even justified violence, is wrong on TV. I know that I have been too stringent in the past. There was a time when I thought that almost every bad thought that entered my head caused me to sin. I'm not the only one either. In the New Testament, people have been too stringent as well. They even accused Jesus' disciples of breaking the Sabbath by getting corn to eat, but Jesus defended them.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 02:38:36 AM »

Kryptid, welcome back.  Cheesy Cheesy. Yes I remember you and so do many others. You have been missed. We all had a problem with our passwords when we got the new software, but the little problem seems so small compared to how much better and safer the software is now. So WELCOME back.  Grin Cheesy

As for violence, there was a time that slapstick comedy seemed violent, and there was a time when Elvis was banned from TV and afterwards was only allowed to be viewed from his shoulders up, because of the way he swayed his hips. Brother, things back then were so much different than they are today.

Here at home we have fun with our children throwing water ballons at each other, even inside the house we have playfulness, we tease each other, we laugh at ourselves and each other, but we also have a limit as to how much we can tease how far we can go. It is called respect and feelings for each other.

As for TV violence, it is on almost everything, the news, sitcoms (which I don't watch), dramas real life stories, almost everything on TV has violence. The responsibility falls on the person watching it. Cartoons as you mentioned do have violence....the line is actually drawn by the viewer and the person or persons responsible for the viewer....

There are many shows I refuse to watch not just because of the violence, but because of the language and contents as well.
Brother we are living in are world that is not ours, satan has dominion over this world, until the Lord Jesus retuns.
We are of in the world, but we are not a part of it. Violence began right in the Garden of Eden, when satan stole eternal life, from Adam and Eve. Yes stealing is an act of violence, lying is an act of violence and satan did that in the Garden of Eden too.

In the meantime we have to keep our minds set on Jesus and on God's Kingdom. And thank God that all the violence will end.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the