Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:28:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bringing up Children
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bringing up Children  (Read 1654 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2006, 08:17:20 AM »

Bringing up Children

"And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4).

This verse, together with the parallel passage in Colossians 3:21, is probably the key New Testament instruction specifically dealing with the training of children. "Nurture" is from the same Greek word that is translated "chastening" in Hebrews 12:5,7, and "instruction" in II Tim-othy 3:16. It has particular reference to carrying out child training with both firmness and gentleness, as needed and appropriate in each particular case.

The term "admonition" is from a Greek word meaning "putting in mind." Thus, the "admonition of the Lord" implies teaching the ways of the Lord by using the Word of the Lord. There is no substitute for implanting a knowledge of God's Word in the minds of our children. Even if they should drift away for a while in later life, the Lord can use His Word in their hearts to bring them back.

Both types of training--through action and through verbal teaching--are said in this passage to be primarily the responsibility of the father. The first reference in the Bible to training children deals with Abraham's responsibility to bring up his children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (see Genesis 18:19). Mothers, of course, also have much responsibility and ability in this ministry (see Proverbs 1:8, and the example cited by Paul himself of how Timothy's mother and grandmother had taught him--II Tim-othy 1:5; 3:15). Fathers, too, sometimes delegate certain teaching responsibilities to tutors (Galatians 4:1-2), but the overall responsibilities are theirs.

And all of this training should be done in love. "Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged" (Colossians 3:21). Then we trust the Lord and pray.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:33:23 PM »

Amen Brother

I was particularly blessed a couple of weeks ago.  My boys (age 11 and 6) were out of town visiting with the grandparents.  My oldest one called me up and we were talking and then he said he and his brother were talking about church and Jesus.  And he started to witness to his little brother.  Call me a wimp of a man...but I cried.  It was not so much that the youngest was asking questions but also that his brother cared enough to witness to him and help him on the road to salvation....darn it...I am crying now  Cheesy

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 07:36:59 PM »

Praise God for our wonderful children.

Brother, there is nothing wrong with tears over our children. At least it is for a happy situation.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:34:53 AM »

Amen Brother

I was particularly blessed a couple of weeks ago.  My boys (age 11 and 6) were out of town visiting with the grandparents.  My oldest one called me up and we were talking and then he said he and his brother were talking about church and Jesus.  And he started to witness to his little brother.  Call me a wimp of a man...but I cried.  It was not so much that the youngest was asking questions but also that his brother cared enough to witness to him and help him on the road to salvation....darn it...I am crying now  Cheesy

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

Praise God Brother I am so happy for you!!

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the