Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:10:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286797 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A picture of Christ in the OT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A picture of Christ in the OT  (Read 2527 times)
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2006, 04:47:03 PM »

An Image of the Lord

Exodus 12

1. And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron in teh land of Egypt saying
2. This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first of the year to you.
- Remember this would be time of new beginning.  A rebirth if you will
3. Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for a house.
- Jesus rode into Jerusalem on the 10th day.  Also notice it says 'a' lamb.  There is to be 'a' lamb for the sacrafice.  Israel is instructed that there is to be 'a' sacrafice for the attonement of sins.
4. And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him and his neighbour next unto his house take it according to the number of the souls; every man according to his eating shall make your count for the lamb.
- Now it say 'the' lamb.  That there is one sacrafice, not just 'a' lamb but 'the' lamb.  And that we are to share 'the' lamb.  A picture of the great commission.  When John the Baptist saw Jesus on two different day (John 1:29 and John 1:36 he shouted "Behold the Lamb of God!"
5. Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats.
- Now note "your" lamb.  this is to be a personal lamb.  Not just anybodies lamb but YOUR lamb.
6. And ye shall keep it up until the 14th day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.
- Christ was cruxified on the 14th day.  Also ensured death was before the evening.  Remember they wanted to remove him from the cross before the sun set.
7. And they shall take the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, where in they shall eat.
- A picture of Calvary.  On either side of Jesus were two men (the side posts), but above them was Jesus (the upper door post).  We see an image of Calvary in the passover.
8. And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened breat; and with bitter herbs they shall eat.
9. Eat not of it raw, nor soddent at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with purtenance thereof.
- Do you remember that when Christ was on the cross he stated "I am thirsty"? (John 19:28).  The lamb was not to touch water just as Jesus was given what?  Vinegar.  Bitter flavoring.

In just those few versus we see the sacrafice that is to be Christ.  Christ is 'the' lamb that God had chosen to be 'the' sacrafice.  All of the prophecies of Exodus are fulfilled.  Even at this early time God was preparing the Jews for 'the' final sacrafice, and 'the' final passover. 

Just one of many illustrations of Jesus in the Old Testament of the Jews.  And it does not take any grand "delusions" to relate the Scripture to Scripture

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
friendship bunch

hot sync

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 05:00:05 PM »

I love it when people can look back in the bible and find prophecy fullfilled.  I have read both the story of the passover and the story of the crucifixtion and I had never realized the prophecy being fulfilled there.  Thanks for yor insight. Smiley

my first love will always be my Lord.
Ken1Burton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:29:56 AM »

Exodus 12:5 shows the Lamb can be taken out of the sheep or the Goats. It is hard to think of a "Goat Lamb." But God said the lamb can be either.

Problem is, The Sin offering had to be a Goat. "We all as SHEEP have gone astray." But Jesus did not go astray. Did we have the same problem Moses did. Not being able to find the Sin offering.

Leviticus 10:16 "And Moses diligently sought the goat of the sin offering, and behold, it was burnt:"

The Nation of Israel is still looking for the sin offering, But it has already been burnt. (God's word like as a fire in Jeremiah 23:29)

Consider this part of the law.

Two goats were to be taken. (Leviticus 16:6/10) A lot was to be cast. One for the Lord, and the other for a Scapegoat (Escapegoat would be a better word) The lot for the Lord was to be offered for sin. the Scapegoat would be set free. Sounds like Jesus and Barabbas to me.

Remember sin was PLACED upon the Goat.

Zechariah 10:3, Mine anger was kindled against the shepherds; and I punished the goats;

Zechariah 10:6 shows they will be as if the Lord had not cast them off.

Jeremiah 12:1/3 shows the Sheep are the wicked. So when Jesus renders to man His righteousness in Job 33:26. Our righteousness is as filthy rags, Because Jesus gave us His.

Through Jesus we feed the hungry, clothed the naked, etc. The Sheep answered "When saw we thee a hungry, and fed thee?" Because Jesus did the works, we get the credit.

Ken
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 02:02:12 AM »

Praise God, we don't live by the law. We live by the Grace, of Jesus Christ. 

John 13:34 I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another.

John 1:16-17  For out of His fullness (abundance) we have all received [all had a share and we were all supplied with] one grace after another and spiritual blessing upon spiritual blessing and even favor upon favor and gift [heaped] upon gift.   17 For while the Law was given through Moses, grace ([a]unearned, undeserved favor and spiritual blessing) and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:8 For it is by free grace (God's unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ's salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God;

Grace is, therefore, God's unmerited favor - His goodness toward those who have no claim on, nor reason to expect, divine favor. The principal manifestation of God's grace has heen in the form of a gift. We think the apostle meant that salvation is "the gift of God," or, as emphatically put in the Greek, "of God is it the gift." Salvation is not our achievement, but it is a gift from God. That truth is made stronger by contrast. It is 'not of ourselves' and "not of works." Salvation is indeed the most extraordinary expression of God's grace.

Salvation is of divine origin. But it is not anything that God was bound to arrange by the necessity of His nature. It is the result of His gracious will. Had it not been for His good pleasure, salvation would never have come. "By grace are ye saved." The Greek grammar denotes not the act of being saved, but the fact of having been saved. God's grace rather than human merit is the source of the whole arrangement. We are saved gratuitously. Salvation is a gift; it is not earned.

What a nice expression - "the grace of God." It prompts pleasant and peaceful thoughts about our Father, the great Creator But Paul's use of "the grace of God" phrase in Titus 2:11 appears to be with a specific purpose There the expression refers to the Savior of mankind. That four word phrase "the grace of God is a synonym for Jesus: "For the grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all men." (RSV) How beautiful! The sequence of phrases puts in good perspective the reality of His manifestation. He is the gift of God's grace by which all men may be saved. How wonderful to know it! "The grace of God has appeared!"

Paul wrote a similarly-identifying phrase. Its words are specific too - "the goodness and loving kindness of God." The context shows that those words refer to Jesus. "But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared ("God our Savior" - a reference to the Father, of which more to be said later), he (God) saved us, not because of deeds done by us in righteousness, but in virtue of his own mercy by the washing of regeneration and renewal in the holy spirit which he poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior." Titus 3:4-6 RSV  "The goodness and loving kindness of God" another synonym for Jesus, a companion phrase to that in Titus 2:11   "the grace of God."

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »

Hello Ken1Burton,

Your post above is very confusing. As just an example, see the quote below:

Ken1Burton Said

Jeremiah 12:1/3 shows the Sheep are the wicked. So when Jesus renders to man His righteousness in Job 33:26. Our righteousness is as filthy rags, Because Jesus gave us His.

Are you saying that Jesus Christ is NOT righteous and holy? I must be honest and say that most of your post appears to conflict with the Holy Bible. Maybe I am misunderstanding your style of writing, so answering a couple of questions would help most of us considerably:

Is JESUS CHRIST Very GOD, Holy, completely righteous, and without spot or blemish?

Your references to sheep and goats are also extremely confusing, and I'm having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say. It almost appears that you are saying that JESUS CHRIST, the Great Shepherd, and His followers are evil. Did you intend to say anything like that?

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »

Ken1Burton

Let me start by saying welcome to CU Forums.  I am sure we look forward to all of your posts in the future.

But let me address your mention of Leviticus 16 and the relation to the 2 goats to that of Jesus and Barabbas.  Note back in vs 5 "And he shall take of the congregation of the children of Israel two kids of the goats for a sin offering, and one ram for the burnt offering"

A couple of problems with this analogy you posit.  First the offering mentioned here are for Aaron and not the tribe of Israel.  So it is a specific action here.  Whereas the one mentioned above earlier is for the passover for all of Israel.  But lets set that aside and look at something.  You have stated that the two goats are Jesus and Barabbas.  If that were the case then Barabbas was also a sin offering for Israel and if he had gone to the cross it would not have mattered the sacrafice would have been made. 

You also stated that sin was placed upon the goat.  Which is actually incorrect.  The sacrafices that were made in OT times were not a coating of blood of the offering of the sins.  They were a symbolic act of asking for forgiveness.  Each year the Jews were to make a sacrafice for the atonement of their sins.  Atonement is the amends orreparation made for an injury or wrong.  So each year the Jews at a minimum would have to make atonement to God for the wrong they have committed the previous year.  Sometimes God would require extra sacrafices such as in the case of Aaron you are mentioning.

This changed when Jesus came. Before Christ each family would have to make atonement, but Jesus made the atonement for all people from that time on.  The final sacrafice of blood.  Romans 5:11 "And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement"  Paul explains that Christ was the atonement for the sins of man. 

There is some hints of ideas in the posting that you have done.  But I would think that further study would reveal that it is not all as you have posted.  BEP (Blackeyedpeas) also brings into questions some of the direction I was wondering about as well.  Further explanation is required please

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the