Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Faith Damaged by 'Da Vinci Code'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faith Damaged by 'Da Vinci Code'  (Read 9328 times)
stealyourface89

On the road to God.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2006, 12:56:45 PM »

To all those willing to listen,

A couple months ago, curiosity took over me and I began reading the Da Vinci Code. Now I am realizing that it was a big mistake.

Before reading this book I had just realized and accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I prayed everyday, and I am sure that I received answers from God. I had faith in the Lord and read the bible every night before bedtime. I was at peace with myself after a lifetime of doubt (I was NOT raised in a Christian home).

I began to read the book simply because I didn’t realize that it was Anti-Christian. I had no idea that this book would undermine my faith and leave me confused about the nature of God. I had no idea that it would leave me doubting the validity of The Bible, doubting the life of Jesus himself!

After reading the book I felt that my whole faith had been destroyed, and it didn’t bother me at all. This is what frightened me the most. I didn’t even care that my beliefs had been destroyed. I just went on with my life as if nothing had happened. I feel so distant from God now, but I am able to pray to him again.

I used to pray in deep concentration and ask the Lord questions, and I heard the answers! Now I can only bring myself to ask him for forgiveness, I have neglected him and in the process have lost my faith. I can only ask him now to restore my faith, but nothing has happened yet. No glorious vision. No answer from above. Only silence. This doesn’t mean my faith is gone, it is just damaged. But not beyond repair.

Now I formally ask for your help, I am lost and can’t find myself. Raised in an Agnostic home (or maybe Deist, my parents believe in God) I have never been to church. I had never owned a Bible until I asked a friend for one. I had to find God on my own. And I thought I was at peace with God until I read that awful book.

I know it is fiction, and even the non-fiction book the so-called history is based on (Holy Blood, Holy Grail) is a disgrace to history, and Christ himself! The man that presented the bloodline theory said in court that he had made the whole thing up! I hope to read the book Cracking the Da Vinci Code, but I don’t need that to realize the whole idea behind Holy Blood, Holy Grail is ridiculous.

You might think, "Well this guy obviously wasn't a 'true' Christian because a book wouldn’t damage my faith!"

Well, when I read that book I was on shaky ground with my faith as it was, I had just became a Christian and was very vulnerable to evil influence.

I can anticipate your answers. Go to church. Read Your Bible. Seek help from a pastor. I will be blunt; I have trouble understanding the Bible. I know there are answers within, but I have trouble unlocking them on my own.

And frankly, If I start going to church every Sunday (which I want to do) my parents will think I am crazy, and they will never let me forget that I am just another “religious freak” as they describe people with faith. I wish my parents would wake up and smell the coffee.

I feel stuck, all around me I see hypocrites. They are having premarital sex, doing drugs, going against God’s word and not thinking a second though about it.

I wish I could the peace I had with God before I was deceived by Satan.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Speech in Detroit, Michigan, (23 June 1963)
Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 01:13:13 PM »

And frankly, If I start going to church every Sunday (which I want to do) my parents will think I am crazy, and they will never let me forget that I am just another “religious freak” as they describe people with faith. I wish my parents would wake up and smell the coffee.

I feel stuck, all around me I see hypocrites. They are having premarital sex, doing drugs, going against God’s word and not thinking a second though about it.

I wish I could the peace I had with God before I was deceived by Satan.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Someone has to break the mold and do the right thing to follow God.  It isn't your parents or anyone else's aproval that you have to get but God's.  You have to choose wheather or not you want to please God or your parents.  Who cares what anyone else thinks of you.  When you stop careing and worrying what others think of the relationship between you and God is when you are going to feel closer to God.

As for the Da Vinci Code.  Maybe you could post what is bothering you and we could answer some of your questions.

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 01:22:26 PM »

Hi stealyourface89,

First of all I want to welcome you to Christians Unite. There are many wonderful Christians here that I am sure will give you some excellant support in words and in prayer. I will be praying for you.

The Bible assures us that Jesus will never leave us nor forsake us. He is our mainstay. It may seem that He is not answering your prayers but be assured that He will do so. We know that the words of the Bible are true. They have withstood the test of time, they are supported by a lot of evidence historically, archaeologically and spiritually. Rely on this word for assurance. Before you start reading the Bible ask God to show you His truth and to open your understanding of His word.

There is a lot in this world and there will be more that attempts to shake our faith in our Lord and Saviour. We all must turn to Him for that assurity and not waiver for only through His strength can we stand firm.

You said,

If I start going to church every Sunday (which I want to do) my parents will think I am crazy, and they will never let me forget that I am just another “religious freak” as they describe people with faith.

We must not allow others to come between us and the Lord not even our own family. We must put Him first in all things that we say and do. Remember He will not leave nor forsake us.

The most important thing is to stay in Hiw word and in prayer.

Stay strong in the faith and He will reward us in the end.

My prayers will stay with you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
stealyourface89

On the road to God.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 01:48:41 PM »

Who cares what anyone else thinks of you.  When you stop careing and worrying what others think of the relationship between you and God is when you are going to feel closer to God.

I do have a problem with caring about what others think of me. Sometimes I just try to ignore it and say, "Thats just the way I am" but I really need to work on it.

I really do want to attend a local church.

You have outlined many different problems in your post or should I say excuses But it seems to me that you realize that you have sinned against God by reading this book.

I have a problem with making excuses, too.  Lips Sealed
But I take it everyday at a time and try to live my life like the Lord wants me to.

As for the Da Vinci Code.  Maybe you could post what is bothering you and we could answer some of your questions.

It was the theory about Constantine making Jesus seem divine to make Christianity a political power. The book explained that his miracles were fabrications to make the people follow Christianity. It made too much sense to me, and I guess it deceived my naive mind.

First of all I want to welcome you to Christians Unite. There are many wonderful Christians here that I am sure will give you some excellant support in words and in prayer. I will be praying for you.

Thank You, I am looking forward to being a member here.

I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

Martin Luther King Jr.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 02:40:32 PM »

Hello StealYourFace89,

First, WELCOME!!

I look forward to reading your posts and having fellowship with you.

"Fellowship" is an interesting word that also applies to our personal relationship with GOD. Everything we do or say can have a positive or negative effect on our fellowship with GOD, and this is especially true with sin. When we pray, we must realize that we are talking to ALMIGHTY GOD - our CREATOR, and we must learn to wait upon the LORD when we pray or have problems.

If you truly accepted JESUS CHRIST as your LORD and SAVIOUR, you are still a child of GOD, and no power in the universe can separate you from the Love of GOD or pluck you from HIS Mighty Hands. What you are describing is a damage of your faith,  but GOD remains ever faithful and always keeps every promise. HE has already promised that HE will never leave or forsake you, so you have NOT been deserted by GOD, and you haven't lost your Salvation. YOU have partially deserted GOD, and you have done things that have weakened the strength you had in CHRIST. The HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD is still in your heart, but GOD is hurt by your doubts.

The anticipation of answers that you listed are correct and right. YES, you need to spend MUCH time in prayer and studying GOD'S WORD. I suggest that you study Ephesians, Romans, and Philippians as a start, and please take your time. You need GOOD AND HEALTHY SPIRITUAL food to nourish you and revive your strength. YES, you do need to pray and pray some more. Ask GOD to guide you and direct you in your study of HIS WORD. This is something you should do every time before you study the Bible. Whatever wrongs you feel that you have done, pray and ask GOD for forgiveness. Please don't even think about putting time limits on GOD, as HE is the one who is hurt and offended. WAIT, PRAY, STUDY, and keep doing this.

Now, you see what harm can be done to your fellowship with CHRIST by garbage and sin. It weakened your strength in CHRIST, and that is the nature of garbage and sin. Ask GOD to help you avoid things like this in the future, and listen to the voice of the HOLY SPIRIT in your heart when HE says "NO, this is wrong." When you hear or feel this, put it down and go eat some more Spiritual food from GOD'S WORD. If you really accepted JESUS CHRIST as your Lord and Saviour, you have already heard and felt the HOLY SPIRIT of GOD working in your life. YIELD and DON'T IGNORE HIM if you want strength in CHRIST!

Many here will be praying for you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 5:5-8 NASB  Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge. Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord -- for we walk by faith, not by sight -- we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 04:10:10 PM »

Hello Stealyourface89, and welcome to Christians Unite forums.  I will be praying for you. Satan is trying to mislead you right now. This is a test for you, so treat it as such. As blackeyedpeas said,..........

If you truly accepted JESUS CHRIST as your LORD and SAVIOUR, you are still a child of GOD, and no power in the universe can separate you from the Love of GOD or pluck you from HIS Mighty Hands. What you are describing is a damage of your faith,  but GOD remains ever faithful and always keeps every promise.

Something else you may want to read, is a topic on did on satan. since the search isn't working right now grrrrrrr....................
===============================================================

Satan, lying, cheating and stealing ways

Since we are renouncing the devil and all his works and all his ways, we should ask: "What are the works and ways of the devil?" The devil's works are hatred, bitterness, resentment, anger, arrogance, and above all the stubborn refusal to bow to the will of God. The devil's ways are deception and lying, cheating and stealing.

Temptation by its very nature is deception, a lie. What is evil is deceitfully presented as good, what is harmful as helpful, what is poison as antidote, what is enslaving as liberating, what is foul as fun. Temptation is what a trap is to an animal. It offers something good, but its true intent is to trap and kill. This is the background for Christ's statement about the devil in John 8:44 "When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

To be tempted is one thing, to sin is another. Jesus was tempted but did not sin. We cannot avoid temptation. Countless individual and corporate monastic attempts notwithstanding, there is no place to go to escape from temptation, for the devil and our flesh are always with us. We can't escape it, but when it comes, we are to resist it, that is, say "no" to it. We are to "resist him Satan and remain, firm in our faith" 1 Peter 5:10 and "Resist the devil and he will flee from you." James 4:8.

Vigilance against temptation is not merely a solo affair. It is a community affair, an affair of the Christian community, the Church. This is seen in Galatians 6:1-2: "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." This is also seen in the 6th & 7th Petitions of the Lord's prayer: "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one" Matthew 6:13. We pray in the plural. We pray this for one another not just ourselves.

The devil also often attacks with temptation following some spiritual victory on our part. Here again Elijah's victory over the prophets of Baal is a good example. This was Elijah's great spiritual victory. But soon after that he succumbed to temptation and fell into fear, depression, and fatalism. So it is often with us. When we have just shared the Gospel with someone, spoken out for the truth of God's word, have just started a new habit of Scripture reading or prayer, then we are attacked so that we might quit. Especially when we try to let our lights shine, to "go public" with our faith, we can expect the adversary to violently attack.

The devil often tempts us during a time of idleness. It has often been noted that King David was tempted to commit adultery with Bathsheba during a time of idleness. 2 Samuel 11, "Then it happened in the spring, at the time when kings go out ((to battle), that David sent Joab and his servants with him and all Israel, and they destroyed the sons of Ammon and besieged Rabbah. But David stayed at Jerusalem. Now when evening came David arose from his bed and walked around on the roof of the king's house, and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful in appearance." The words picture a scenario of idleness.

The devil is tenacious and persistent. It is one thing to say "no" to one temptation. It is quite another to continue to say "no" to a persistent temptation. As an example: For a time Samson withstood Delilah's temptations to tell her the secret of his great strength. But we are told that "It came about when she pressed him daily with her words and urged him, that his soul was annoyed to death. So he told her all that was in his heart" Judges 16:16-17. Note that what won the day for Delilah was persistence. This is a picture of how the devil also works.

The devil leads us to doubt, then deny God's goodness or wisdom. This was his approach with Eve as recorded in Genesis 3. He injected doubt in her relationship with God: "Did God really say . . ." Then he openly challenged God's goodness and integrity. "You will not surely die . . . For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." This is often his technique with us. Often through other people he injects doubt of God's Word into our minds. Having then weakened us, he openly challenges God's goodness or justice, leading us to rationalize and justify saying "yes" to the temptation.

You know his schemes against YOU! Or as Peter puts it "Be on the alert" 1 Peter 5:8. Know what temptations are used against YOU. It does no good to be vigilant toward temptation if we are totally ignorant of the ways that we are most easily tempted.

So we're in a battle. Because even though we really have renounced the devil and all his works and all his ways, we find ourselves doing them too many times. It's a battle... a battle that started in the Garden of Eden, a battle that continues to rage on not only in this world but especially right in our own hearts. When a person is baptized into Christ, when they are declared beloved children of the Father in heaven, a new heart is planted within. A new self is created. And that new heart and new self rejoice in Jesus works and ways and totally renounce the works and ways of Satan. But the new self exists right alongside the old self; the new heart beats right next to the old heart. A Christian is by definition a conflicted personality.  And so the battle within is inevitable. It's the battle Paul was talking about when he said: "For what the flesh desires is opposed to the Spirit and what the Spirit desires is opposed to the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what you want!" Galatians 5:17 It's a battle he was talking about when he cried out: "I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want to do." Rom. 7:19

Jesus knew enough of Satan's works to know that he only wanted to destroy in Jesus the light of faith. He knew enough of Satan's ways to know that the devil is a liar whom you can never believe. In the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness, Jesus succeeds in doing what Adam and Eve failed to do. He turns His back on Satan's deceits and empty promises and He clings to God alone.

The sign of spiritual life within us is actually the raging battle within. To give up the fight against evil is simply to renounce everything Jesus would give us. In mercy, the Word of God is spoken to us to strengthen us. God's Word does not promise an end to the battle in this life. In fact, God's Word assures us that the Battle will go on until the day we die. But God's Word gives us the courage and strength to fight this life-long battle. It does so because in speaking truth to us, it unites us to Jesus: it tells us that we are children of God, holy and beloved. It points us for the proof of this, not to any successes we have in the battle against evil, but simply to the cross. There the Word teaches us to see the true tree of life: where Forgiveness wipes out sin, where Love defeats evil, where Life destroys death.

Do you renounce the devil and all his works and all his ways? I hope so. You said so, at baptism. You can't have it both ways. Yet the devil tries to make us have it both ways because in doing so he's really winning us to his way. The power to continue the battle is God's Word and sacraments. The more of God's power we take in, the harder the devil works on us. And the harder the devil works on us, the more strength God gives us. And when it comes to the direct battle between God and Satan, we need only look as far as the cross and empty tomb to know who the real winner is. Jesus is the winner. And He gives you the power to be the winner, also.

When Paul describes the full armor of God we need to withstand the devil's attacks, the only offensive weapon he mentions is "the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God" Eph. 6:17. Whether Paul was thinking of Jesus when he wrote this, our Lord Jesus is the greatest example of using God's Word as a weapon to defeat Satan. In the Gospels Matthew 4:1-11 we learn that when the devil tempted Jesus in the wilderness, Jesus fought Him with the Word of God. Three times he was tempted and three times Jesus quoted Scripture to drive off the enemy. What catches my attention is that each passage Jesus quoted was a passage that confronted the specific temptation. In the same way, we should confront whatever is tempting us, with a passage that speaks to the sin we are being tempted to commit. For example, if we are being tempted to cheat, we should confront the devil and our sinful flesh with the 7th Commandment: "It is written, "You shall not steal."

cont'd next post.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 04:11:31 PM »

Part II

Another way to use God's Word as a weapon is to be so immersed in the Word that you know right from wrong and therefore know when you are being tempted. Here I have in mind passages like Psalm 119:11 "Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You." If we don't have a clear understanding and memory of what God says is right and wrong in His Word, we will not know when we are being tempted.

Prayer is a second, and an extremely important, weapon, that God has given us to fight off temptation. Jesus made this clear already in the Lord's Prayer. The last two petitions are devoted to praying against the devil and temptation: "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." We also remember Jesus' words to Peter, James, and John and the garden of Gethsemane: "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak" Matthew 26:41. Of course this means praying both when we are being tempted, that God might help us say "no;" and it means praying daily that God might keep us from succumbing to temptation.

Using the Gospel as a weapon means confessing your baptism and faith in the Gospel as Paul outlines in Romans 6. It means affirming your new identity in Christ in the face of whatever is tempting you. It means saying, for example, "Devil, you who are tempting me, you have no power over me. I am a Christian. I have been baptized. Through baptism, I have died to sin but am alive to God through Christ Jesus. I belong to Jesus Christ, who, by His perfect life and death, has saved me, forgiven me, and set me free from slavery to you, sin, and death. Sin has no power over me for I am under grace. I believe that Jesus Christ lived and died for me. I now dwell in His kingdom, not yours. Therefore, be gone satan”!

The fourth weapon I believe God has given us is a matter of common sense - but it is also found in the Scriptures. We are to fight temptation by avoiding it and fleeing from it. By "avoiding" it, I mean not foolishly putting ourselves in a position or place where we will be easily tempted. For example, Psalm 101:3 “I will set before my eyes no vile thing." We will be tempted far less, if we avoid situations and places that tempt us. We will be tempted far more, if we willingly invite things that tempt us into our lives.

We are also to flee temptation. When we find ourselves in a situation where we are being tempted, we should flee, run away from it, rather than foolishly think we are strong enough to withstand it. In this spirit, Paul writes in 1 Cor. 6:18: "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body." And Joseph is a great Old Testament example. When Potiphar's wife tempted him he fled out of the room Genesis 39:1-20.

Christian fellowship. When it comes to resisting temptation, there is strength in numbers. We are stronger together than we are apart. Christians who are being tempted should seek the help of other Christians

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

stealyourface89

On the road to God.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 04:15:56 PM »

It weakened your strength in CHRIST, and that is the nature of garbage and sin. Ask GOD to help you avoid things like this in the future, and listen to the voice of the HOLY SPIRIT in your heart when HE says "NO, this is wrong." When you hear or feel this, put it down and go eat some more Spiritual food from GOD'S WORD.

That is what sin does isn't it? And things like this instill doubt about the true nature of Christianity. It is nothing more than the will of Satan, deceiving all that he can. Or possibly the Antichrist, waiting for the Tribulation, gathering followers.

I used to think that little voice inside me that told me something was wrong was only my conscience or intuition. But now I realize that it is the Holy Spirit, guiding me through life, and hopefully closer to God.

Martin Luther King Jr.
stealyourface89

On the road to God.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 04:21:05 PM »

Thanks for the Article, DreamWeaver.

I'll copy + paste it into my database of text files.  Wink

Martin Luther King Jr.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 07:55:26 PM »

Thanks for the Article, DreamWeaver.

I'll copy + paste it into my database of text files.  Wink
Your welcome to copy it syf.  I pray that it can help you learn the tricks of satan. And how to fight against his tricks.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 02:37:58 AM »

Hello Hopes_Daughter,

I could easily be wrong, but I think that 'Cracking the Da Vinci' code is a book that shows how false and foolish the Da Vinci code is. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost sure I read some news about this.

Love in Christ,
Tom

John 10:11 NASB  "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 03:17:13 AM »

Hello Hopes_Daughter,

I could easily be wrong, but I think that 'Cracking the Da Vinci' code is a book that shows how false and foolish the Da Vinci code is. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost sure I read some news about this.

Love in Christ,
Tom

John 10:11 NASB  "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.

You're not wrong brother. Cracking the Davinci Code is a book that shows how false the Davinci Code is.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 04:05:22 AM »

Thanks Pastor Roger!

I get 1 positive memory point to begin the day with. Now, let's see if I can keep it.  Cheesy  I would at least like to keep it till noon.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 14:26 NASB  In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, And his children will have refuge.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 04:09:33 AM »

Thanks Pastor Roger!

I get 1 positive memory point to begin the day with. Now, let's see if I can keep it.  Cheesy  I would at least like to keep it till noon.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 14:26 NASB  In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, And his children will have refuge.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

stealyourface89

On the road to God.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 10:48:02 AM »

Yes, that is why I want to read it. Why would I read something I knew would damage my faith?  Roll Eyes

Martin Luther King Jr.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the