Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What Is Ministry?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Is Ministry?  (Read 2116 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »

If you know me, then you know I already have my answer!   Cheesy  But this is something that God has been changing my understanding of over the past several years.  He's scripturally deepened it, and practically impressed it upon me.  That said, I'm curious to know what everyone would answer to this question.  Feel free to answer, and apart from blatantly wrong scriptural answers that would get you banned from the forum anyway, I'm not setting anyone up for a wrong answer opportunity.  Just want to discuss, and learn, and possibly even give a little insight on the matter.   Smiley

His,

Kevin

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:28:07 AM »

A very good question, brother. Ministry is actually many things and each and every Christian should have one. It is your testimony, verbally, physically and is spiritually based. It is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is what each one of us does for Him.

One of the several descriptions given to this word in the dictionary is "a person or thing through which something is accomplished". Each one of accomplishes things for our Lord and Saviour in different manners and all for the Glory of God. Whether it is working in the nursery, being a church janitor, or witnessing to others outside the church it is all a ministry. Even the way that we live our lives is a ministry.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:20:26 AM »

Amen PR.

Everyone has a ministry. Ministry is always to bless another person or many people

eyes - to see a need and make provision according to our own ability
ears - to hear a deperate cry and respond quickly to aid and pray
mouth - to say a word of encouragement, advice, and wisdom, share the Gospel
hands - to reach out to those who are lost, sinking, or in need of any assistance
heart - to love everyone as Jesus loves them.

These are but a very few of the many ways to minister to others
but the one that I think is the most important is LOVE, without love we will be deaf and blind to everything and everyone, and that is when we will find we are only ministering to our own selves.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 11:24:30 AM »

Amen sister and may I also add that we minister to the needs of others whatever that need may be.

A servant of Christ serving those that have Christ or are in need of Christ.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »

That right Brother, what greater ministry, than to share Christ with those who are in need of Him.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 11:59:02 AM »

Hello Brother Kevin,

"Ministry" can actually have many meanings, depending on the context where it's used, so I'll offer a general answer in Christian context.

Service on behalf of the LORD to or for others for the LORD'S Glory. I would consider this to be the sum total of service, including: living testimony as an example to others, prayer for the lost, prayer for the building up of the saints, prayer in general, and labor or actions of any kind that would be pleasing to the LORD. I must add that "ministering" to others involves spiritual and physical NEEDS. So, a Christian's "ministry" will be more than bringing the Gospel of the Grace of God. It will many times involve food, clothing, shelter, medical attention, and other physical needs. So, maybe a Christian definition for "Ministry" might be something like: demonstrating a care for other's spiritual and physical needs in the name of the LORD.

I associate the term "Ministry" with much more than just what is normally expected from a person with a title of "Minister". I've always considered it a fact that GOD has work for all Christians to do, and it really doesn't matter if the task is big or small. Many Christians talk about being "called" or "led" by the Holy Spirit to do certain things for the LORD, and this should be a part of every Christian's life. The LORD will only consider the work good if it is done because the person loves JESUS. If the work is done for personal recognition or status, the work will be burned up.

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 17:11 NASB  "I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 10:39:57 AM »

Amen!  I've gone through many stages of ministry understanding.  I'll share them and see if we have even more common ground...

...Once upon a time, in a land, far, far away, I was studying for the ministry.  I had lofty opinions on what exactly this meant.  We had at the school I was attending, a seminary president come and ask us all, "What is the ministry?"  Many answers were given.  He said nay to them all!  Then he took us to Ephesians 4:11-16...

And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

From this, I learned that leaders are there to equip fellow believers, not to be good Christians, but to do the very thing they are doing - serve one another in Christ.  At the time, I saw this as giving them a better understanding of God's Word and how to apply it in their lives, so that someday, they'd be able to teach others also.  I still believe there's great validity in this approach.  I now understand that ministry goes far deeper.  To me, ministry is working on the behalf of others, for their spiritual, physical and emotional betterment.  That can begin to sound a bit selfish, so let me 'splain.

Each of us has been given spiritual gifts.  I'm not here to talk about what those gifts are, but rather how those gifts are used.  I used to see ministry as teaching Sunday School, singing in the choir, passing the offering plate, serving as a deacon, managing the finances, or any other of the things that local churches offer as service opportunities.  And in many of these areas, I found corresponding spiritual gifts.  Oddly enough, I found more...that didn't apply in the areas I mentioned.  Those gifts that fit in those areas (which, mind you, I'm not negating as ministries in the least), also fit into far more personal areas of ministry.  Simply put, ministry is serving each other, with the gifts God has gifted us with, in love, for their betterment and His glory.

This was astounding to me.  Maybe not to y'all, but I got caught up in the traditional mold of "ministry" only to find that most were simply "programs."   Programs are great.  People are greater.  I can teach many from a pulpit and never really know what affect I've had, or, I can teach an individual, one on one, and see a difference; hear a difference, and begin to know that God is working there.  I can give to a need ambiguously at church, and know that it's going to help someone in need, or, I can give of my finances, time, muscle or simply myself to meet a specific need expressed by a specific brother and truly help bear that brother's burden.  Better yet, I see direct results.

I basically see ministry as far more personal than programmable as I ever did before.  NOTE:  This is a hodge-podge of thought as I'm typing from work and doing work in between.  If I lack in clarity, please advise and I'll 'splain some more!

Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:09:25 AM »

Amen Brother Kevin!

I was reflecting on this entire thread and some really special and precious Christians came to mind. They are too numerous to even mention, but the common denominator that made them stand out in remembrance was LOVE. Maybe they served as a cook at a Bible Camp, or maybe he was an elderly pastor that everyone loved, or maybe they were anywhere in between and did all kinds of things for others in the name of the LORD.

Brother, thanks for a very pleasant thread. It brought back many precious memories for me of saints who are home with the LORD. I give thanks for all of them, and I just want to sit here in the quiet for a time and think about some beautiful times in the LORD. THANKS AGAIN BROTHER!

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 1:20-22 NASB  For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us. Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 01:57:26 PM »

Most welcome Brother.   Smiley

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 02:04:08 AM »

AMEN all of y'all!!

Ministry can also mean, least to me. Assisting believers in defining, and defending the Christian view. 

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »

AMEN all of y'all!!

Ministry can also mean, least to me. Assisting believers in defining, and defending the Christian view. 

Amen!  It's physical, financial, highly spiritual, but above all, personal

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the