Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  FREEWARE Open Office 2.02 Final is Out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FREEWARE Open Office 2.02 Final is Out  (Read 4157 times)
BLAD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 01:24:37 AM »

thank you Pastor Roger. i will download it and try it.

God bless you and your family

so far the OpenOffice Freeware are great!!!! i guess i do not have to install the Office i bought.  Wink
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 06:46:15 AM »

Hello Blad,

I've been using Open Office now for over 3 years and feel it is much safer than Microsoft Office. It's a real winner as far as I'm concerned, and you can't beat the price: FREE!

I've never had a problem of any kind with downloads. Open Office probably represents the flagship of the open source (FREE) software market. If you use an official download site, I would consider it completely safe. I must add that it's first class and actually performs better than Microsoft Office in many areas.

http://www.openoffice.org/

The above is the home site for Open Office.

Mizar
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 06:25:35 PM »

Time to upgrade, everybody - OpenOffice 2.0.3 is here.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »

Hello Mizar,

Thanks for the update information. I really appreciate it. I'm very surprised that there is a new version out so soon. If it gets much better, they'll put Microsoft Office out of business.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Mizar
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 05:40:47 PM »

One of the new features is a "Check for updates" option on the Help menu. I don't know whether this will be patches or having to download the whole thing again. I hope it's the former.

The more I use it the better I like it!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 02:23:57 AM »

Hello Mizar,

It would be nice to get smaller updates instead of having to download the whole thing again, but I would have to say that I'm so happy with it that I really don't mind. I think that many of the folks working on it are avoiding the huge file sizes and security problems that has plagued Microsoft. Microsoft could never dream of producing an entire office suite in under 100 megs and one that would be so versatile and safe to use. I read some reviews on 2.01 when it came out, and the governments of whole countries are going to it. It turns out that they get some of the bills paid with documentation and training. The regular help system that comes with it is more than adequate for most people, and if you can already use Microsoft - you can use Open Office with no problem at all. I really think it's easier to use than Microsoft, so I'll never be spending $500 for an office suite ever again. I'll gladly buy some of the Open Office books just to help them out, but I really find that the help materials already with it are excellent.

I can also see churches and charities using this software to reduce their costs. There really isn't a reason any longer to spend big money every 3 to 5 years just to have a good office suite. Most of us know that the Microsoft plan was to get everyone to buy a new suite every 5 years or go without support. Microsoft has the same plan for operating systems, and I expect there already is excellent alternatives that are either free or almost free. The Microsoft monopoly is just about over - Microsoft just doesn't know it yet.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Titus 2:11-14 NASB  For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

Mizar
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2006, 08:28:09 AM »

I'm actively encouraging people to adopt Open Source Software and produced the following information:

Open Source Software

There is a growing trend to move away from commercial software to what is called “Open Source Software” (OSS). Using the power of the Internet, programmers from all over the world are able to collaborate on producing high-quality software which is in the public domain and therefore free to the end-user.

“Open source” indicates that the actual source computer program is not a commercial, copyrighted secret but freely available to anyone.

The biggest advantage to adopting OSS, of course, is the cost. Instead of buying software or buying a licence for several computers, OSS is simply downloaded from the Internet and installed on as many computers as necessary.

A second advantage is that the user is no longer tied to a particular manufacturer who is at liberty to change the software periodically, necessitating expensive upgrades. Instead, any documents produced are to an independent, open standard which is not a commercial secret.

Thirdly, open source promotes software reliability and quality by supporting independent peer review and rapid development of source code.

In the UK the Cabinet Office has published the Government's policy on open source software. It includes the statement “UK Government will consider OSS solutions alongside proprietary ones in IT procurements. Contracts will be awarded on a value for money basis.“

The Office of Government Commerce has produced its final report on open source software in Government. One of its conclusions is “Open Source software is a viable and credible alternative to proprietary software for infrastructure implementations, and for meeting the requirements of the majority of desktop users.” This report contains many case studies, some cost/savings comparisons and is thoroughly recommended as an authoritative, independent and balanced assessment of OSS.

Much of the Internet is powered by the Linux operating system, Apache server software and MySQL databases - all open source applications.

And if you want more convincing, try OSS Watch for its further and higher education perspective, the BBC and the experiences of the Beaumont Hospital (look for the words "astonishing cost savings!).
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 07:11:58 PM »

Thanks Mizar!

I really appreciate the links and information. Open source software is becoming more available by the minute in just about all categories. People should NOT associate open source software with virus, embedded advertising, limited functions, or any other kind of problem. Just the opposite - open source software is many times cutting edge technology, easily competes with commercial software, and is completely SAFE to download and use.

In fact, open source software is now rated along with the commercial programs by many reputable reviewers. It is interesting to note that the open source software many times wins in the reviews against the commercial software. One can find many examples at places like Softpedia and CNet. The only problem appears to be that many outlets for software don't list them because they aren't paid to list and advertise open source software.

Thanks again for the links and information. I added them to my bookmarks.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the