Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:34:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286809 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The ACLU; Every Parents Nightmare
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ACLU; Every Parents Nightmare  (Read 1316 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2006, 05:02:11 PM »

The ACLU; Every Parents Nightmare
by kender

For those of you that have children, what I am about to say is going to hit home.

My son is still relatively young, and so far reasonably obedient. Who am I kidding? My kid’s great…..he is smart as a whip (and before you ask about that saying have you ever been hit with a whip? It smarts!!!), keeps his room pretty clean, never talks back in a bad way and is actually pretty funny sometimes. But like every parent, I know that someday he’s gonna change. He won’t want to get out of bed anymore….he’ll start to smell funny, keep odd hours and suddenly acquire strange looking friends. In short, he’ll become a teenager.

That’s fine. I know it’s coming, so I can prepare for it, or rather, I can be prepared to not be prepared for it, if that makes sense. I expect the kids that I think dress odd and the not wanting to get out of bed and everything else that goes along with a teenager, but the one thing I won’t put up with is if he suddenly becomes stupid, especially if he gets a friend that tells him that he doesn’t have to listen or follow the rules.

That is what the ACLU does.

Right here is the story of one young man that is acting stupidly (IMO) and the aid he received from the ACLU. (Following post)

MONTEBELLO - Before delving into organizing student walkouts at his high school, Guillermo Tejeda made two prudent phone calls.

One was to the National Lawyers’ Guild, the other was to the American Civil Liberties Union. (snip) From the ACLU, Tejeda and other student organizers received thousands of pocket-sized guides that spelled out exactly what their rights are - and what to do if they were arrested or disciplined.

Never mind that this kid is calling the NLG and the ACLU to basically ask “How can I get around the rules?”, (if my son ever calls the NLG he’d better be prank calling), one of the major problems is that the ACLU is actually answering him. If a kid comes to you and says “I wanna do this” and what he wants to do is against the rules, the correct answer is NOT “here’s how you stay out of trouble if you get caught.” The correct answer is “I don’t think that’s a good idea AND since you aren’t my child I suggest you ask your parents.”

Not the ACLU. They jump on the wagon and start handing out little pamphlets advising the kids of their rights and what to do if they are arrested or disciplined. I wonder if anyone at the ACLU once thought “If these kids stay in school we wouldn’t have to be telling them what to do if they get arrested or disciplined.”

Probably not.

By accounts from his teachers, his father and his fellow students, Tejeda stands out among his peers for his political activism. While still a sophomore, he organized protests against campus military recruiters and was active in several social justice groups.

I see this kid and the ACLU are going to have a long relationship. Personally if this was my son and he started running with this crowd he would be off to military boarding school before you could say Che.

“He is well-read,” said Gilbert Gomez, Tejeda’s teacher in advance-placement government class. “He does make an attempt to inform and is sincere in what he’s trying to accomplish.”

Did you catch that? He is “sincere in what he’s trying to accomplish”. The problem? He may be sincere but he is wrong, and the ACLU is aiding and abetting delinquency.

While Gomez said he admires the students for becoming more aware of the immigration issue, he believes the school walkouts “missed the point.” The point, he said, is that schools “educate everyone here, even those who don’t speak English.”

Tejeda sees it differently. He believes the walkouts were necessary to call attention to the plight of illegal immigrants and their families. And he balks at critics who say students were merely trying to skip school.

We need a new word. “Plight” should be saved for when you are in a situation that you couldn’t help being in, not when the situation you are in is of your own doing, and being an “illegal” (I prefer criminal) alien is solely the fault of the person in that situation. It’s not as if they woke up in another country illegally, (although I am sure that booze and stupidity have caused that to happen once or twice) or were brought here against their will. Even the girls that are occasionally found in sex-slave rings aren’t brought here against their will.

Even so, he believes some students went too far when, during a rally in front of Montebello High, they removed the American flag from its pole, hung it upside down and raised a Mexican flag above it.

He called the tactic “unnecessarily divisive.”

“I’ve participated in the desecration of many flags, but that just distracted people from our message,” Tejeda said. “Let’s turn this page. This is about thinking differently about the border.”

Now why am I not surprised to find out that one of the kids involved in the attack on our flag in Montebello had help from the ACLU?

Tejeda said he and a couple of his friends managed to prevent students from repeating the flag incident at Garfield High School later that day.

How much will you wager that by the time it rolled around to Garfield High that Guillermo has been informed that the actions of those kids with the flag was illegal?

It is tough enough to raise a kid today, I don’t think the ACLU actively helping them to screw up their future and break the rules is a good thing.

Do you?

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 05:03:58 PM »

Student activist does his homework
Montebello High senior credited with organizing protest
By Pam Wight Staff Writer

MONTEBELLO - Before delving into organizing student walkouts at his high school, Guillermo Tejeda made two prudent phone calls.

One was to the National Lawyers' Guild, the other was to the American Civil Liberties Union.

The Montebello High School student, whose interest in political activism was sparked after reading Alex Haley's "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" at age 12, was looking for solid legal footing for the coming immigration walkouts.

Specifically, he wanted to know what students' rights were during such demonstrations.

From the ACLU, Tejeda and other student organizers received thousands of pocket-sized guides that spelled out exactly what their rights are - and what to do if they were arrested or disciplined.

"We have a pretty politicized group of youths at my high school," the 17-year-old Tejeda said.

By accounts from his teachers, his father and his fellow students, Tejeda stands out among his peers for his political activism. While still a sophomore, he organized protests against campus military recruiters and was active in several social justice groups.

"He's always been a step ahead of the other kids," said his father, Guillermo Tejeda Sr. "He's very socially and politically conscious."

"He is well-read," said Gilbert Gomez, Tejeda's teacher in advance-placement government class. "He does make an attempt to inform and is sincere in what he's trying to accomplish."

Harry Pachon, a professor at UCLA's Tomas Rivera Policy Institute, a Latino think tank, said anecdotal evidence points to an overall rise in political awareness and activism in general among Latino high school students.

The spark, he said, was immigration reform and recent efforts to crack down on illegal immigrants.

"The past 10 years have seen a drumbeat of anti-immigration rhetoric," Pachon said. "We haven't done any specific research on \, but it does appear that there's an increase in awareness about immigration, because it affects everyday life."

For many Latino high school students, the issue personally touches their families. At Montebello High, Tejeda joined a core of about 20 students who handed out pertinent literature in locker rooms and organized discussion groups weeks before the first walkouts began at the end of March.

"The students already knew who we were. When the immigration issue hit, they were like, `Hey, they're going after our families. This is personal,"' Tejeda said.

"Within two days, we had a lot of students planning to walk out."

While Gomez said he admires the students for becoming more aware of the immigration issue, he believes the school walkouts "missed the point." The point, he said, is that schools "educate everyone here, even those who don't speak English."

Tejeda sees it differently. He believes the walkouts were necessary to call attention to the plight of illegal immigrants and their families. And he balks at critics who say students were merely trying to skip school.

Even so, he believes some students went too far when, during a rally in front of Montebello High, they removed the American flag from its pole, hung it upside down and raised a Mexican flag above it.

He called the tactic "unnecessarily divisive."

"I've participated in the desecration of many flags, but that just distracted people from our message," Tejeda said. "Let's turn this page. This is about thinking differently about the border."

Tejeda said he and a couple of his friends managed to prevent students from repeating the flag incident at Garfield High School later that day.

Yet nothing about Tejeda suggests a person trying to force himself into the spotlight. Instead, he repeatedly redirects the conversation away from himself and back to the issues.

"The biggest thing is, stay out of prison, stay out of the military and educate yourselves," Tejeda said.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
servant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:59:35 PM »

Not the ACLU. They jump on the wagon and start handing out little pamphlets advising the kids of their rights and what to do if they are arrested or disciplined. I wonder if anyone at the ACLU once thought “If these kids stay in school we wouldn’t have to be telling them what to do if they get arrested or disciplined.”
The ACLU's actions here are a prime example of legalism gone wrong. Law and justice aren't really the same thing, and the ACLU is a classic example of that in their focus on following a narrow interpretation of the written law rather than questioning what is right and wrong. But the fact is, that's their purpose, and informing people what their legal rights are is a hard thing to condemn, especially living as we do in a civil or democratic society where such rights actually exist.

Having said that, the ACLU has also defended Christians' civil rights for the practise and expression of their religion, so it might be a bit harsh to leap on the ACLU as having an anti-Christian agenda as such. Their problem is that they are focused on what is permissible according to the law, rather than what is right according to morality.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 12:11:07 AM »

I don't believe that you are fully aware of all that the ACLU is or what it has done. Such statements as you have just made makes that very apparent. While attempting to keep Anything Christian out of the public eye they are in turn supporting the public expression of muslims (which is no surprise when many of the ACLU lawyers are muslim). They attempt to change laws so that pedophiles have the right to be pedophiles and to exploit children in their perverted way. This is not being focused on what is permissable by law but rather in changing the law to fit their agenda. Every time they turn around they are suing someone in an attempt to change the existing laws. The ACLU is not only anti-Christian they are anti-American supporting foreign laws and powers over those laws and powers of the U.S.

Before you speak such you need to do a much better research of what the ACLU is actually doing.

servant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 12:18:46 AM »

Before you speak such you need to do a much better research of what the ACLU is actually doing.

Perhaps you could be more specific about where I am being ignorant. Some basic research on the ACLU's electronic resources alone will reveal, for example, that they HAVE in fact defended Christians, including Christians' right to expression of their belief in public.

I don't believe they have an anti-Christian agenda because I think they're too amorally blind to have one, not because I think they're cute and friendly. Their defence of NAMBLA fits into this, actually. They have an extremely narrow interpretation of the law, and they attempt to push that agenda. The fact that they are so often successful suggests that the ACLU is only a symptom of a greater problem, though. I'm not sure where hte ACLU is on record attempting to change a law so that pedophiles have a right to exploit children, but I hope you can enlighten me. (This might be a better topic for a new thread or a private message, though; it wasn't my intention to drag the topic in that direction.)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:37:50 AM »

Although the ACLU has defended some Christians it has been far and few in between and when they have it has been to their agenda. One example is when the got a law passed that allowed a homosexual club to be in a high school. Shortly thereafter a Christian group started a club in that same high school based on the court decision and law they got passed. When the ACLU saw that they started working on getting that same decision rescinded so as to prevent the Christian club from being there.

There is another thread on the ACLU already. It can be found in the Politics and Political Issues in thread titled ACLU In The News. There are many news articles and commentaries there on just exactly what the ACLU has been doing.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the