Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:32:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why an empty cross in your church?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why an empty cross in your church?  (Read 2295 times)
doormat

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »

why is there an empty cross without Jesus shown as being criucified on it in your church?  If scripture says on numerous occassions that we preach Christ crucified, then why would you not have him on the cross?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »

Quite simply because he is risen. He is no longer on the cross but in heaven preparing us a place.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »

The is no Cross at my Church, any where doormat. As the Bible teaches what Pastor Roger has said, "He is Risen." So that would say he isn't on the cross any more.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:44:21 PM »

Personally I do not have a cross of any sort on my church nor an empty tomb. Jesus is no longer on the cross so why should I want to keep Him there. The amount of time that He was there was more than sufficient for all.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Jessie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

Good question and good answers. I've never even thought about that.

"One man's wrong lead, is another man's counter canter."
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 12:40:53 PM »

Most churches I've been associated with have had an empty cross.  As has been so eloquently stated, Jesus is no longer there.  He's not paying for the sins I fail and commit, He's paid for them.  As for having an empty cross, I personally don't have a problem with that.  It's a reminder of where my walk with Him, where my life began.  It's also a visual reminder of His expectation of me.  No, a cross isn't necessary for that.  But it does draw my attention to what He's done for me, and what He's doing in and through me as I yield and obey Him.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Chaplain Bob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:52:39 PM »

Well gosh, guess what church doormat belongs to.

I think too much has been made of icons (including the cross) in the Christian church.  Just one of a number of things man has adopted into the Christian religion he created that are not supported by any Biblical mandate.

In His Service,
Bob Allen
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 12:28:43 AM »

Amen Brothers and Sisters!

There's a lot of precious truth and thoughts in this thread. It seems that nearly all of us concentrate on the reality that our Lord and Saviour is ALIVE. He defeated death with a TOTAL VICTORY! Our Victory is possible only because of HIS VICTORY. I know that HE LIVES!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 1:9-11 NASB  And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ;  having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 12:53:45 AM »

Jesus is no longer on that cross, just as He is no longer in the tomb. And I might even add just as He is no longer a babe in a manger, He is King of Kings

Glory to God, He is alive, mighty, and victorious.

He was in the manger for a short while, on the cross for a short while, in the tomb for a short while but at the right hand of God for eternity.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
servant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 11:31:54 PM »

why is there an empty cross without Jesus shown as being criucified on it in your church?  If scripture says on numerous occassions that we preach Christ crucified, then why would you not have him on the cross?
Uh... why does it matter?

Putting Jesus on the cross -- which, incidentally, is NOT enough to give away what church someone belongs to, since it's present in more than one denomination - draws attention to the sacrifice of Jesus. Like you say, "Christ crucified."

But the cross is not "preaching" Christ crucified - it is a symbol. And I think it would be a great stretch to say that the fact that Jesus is no longer on the cross means that people in such churches don't believe Christ was never on a cross, ever. The empty cross, whether or not you agree with the symbolism involved, emphasizes that Christ is no longer on the cross: that is, he is no longer dead. But an empty cross doesn't really signify that Christ is at the right hand of God, just that he is not on the cross, so the symbol of an empty cross isn't exactly perfect, either. The point is, it's a symbol. If you want to know what a church believes about the death and resurrection of Christ, look to their statement of faith and to the people themselves.

I think an important thing to keep in mind is that the cross, regardless of whether or not Jesus is portrayed on it, is a SYMBOL. It is no more right to suggest that most Protestant denominations dishonor Christ's sacrifice with an empty cross than it is to say that the Roman Catholic church denies the resurrection by placing Christ upon the cross symbol. Whether or not you have theological problems beyond that point is fair game -- I certainly have problems with Catholicism -- but the symbolism involved shouldn't really by the issue here, I think.
Kelly4Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 09:08:44 PM »

Our church has no cross, empty or anything. We are a church for the unchurched. We try to reach seekers, and many associate the cross with other churches and some have actually walked out of services when they see the cross as you are describing, due to a bad experience. This, of course is what our sister churches have seen, or been told when they have asked what keeps some from coming into new churches. Some feel the cross being displayed is a turn off, until they hear more about Jesus. Then again, I grew up in a religion where my grandmother displayed Jesus, as well as Mary and Joseph all over our house. I am told now that it is idol worship, but I never saw her worship any of those--she kept them because she so believed in the Lord, and her faith also believed in Mary and Joseph being saint (let me also add that, although her religion might be argued, she was more Christian to others than most people I know today. The woman loved and helped everyone, and never asked for anything in return. She did it all in the name of Jesus).

The cross with Jesus on it is to show that, Jesus is not there anymore, but has ascended into heaven, as our scriptures clearly state. The cross is a symbol of faith. We don't have to look at it to wonder Who was on it. We, as true Christians don't need to see it to be reminded for all He did for us.

Personally, I don't care about what a church looks like, or what decorations they have. They are material things and material things are wants and needs of the flesh. I care about the hearts of those that are in the church--the congregation and those that lead the church--and how they display Christ's works. No picture or statue, to me, means anything. It is just for display. It is how we show others about Christ, through us--His Vessels that matters.

And, that..is my view on things.

God Bless!

God Bless You Always!
In The Precious Love of Jesus,
Kelly

Psalm 62: 5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;  my hope comes from him.  6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 11:00:07 PM »

My church is not decorated either.  Come to think of it about the only time that we get to look at a cross is for Easter to remind us what Jesus did for us.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable with statues around.  I kinda agree about the idol thing.

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 11:00:09 PM »

Personally, I don't care about what a church looks like, or what decorations they have. They are material things and material things are wants and needs of the flesh. I care about the hearts of those that are in the church--the congregation and those that lead the church--and how they display Christ's works. No picture or statue, to me, means anything. It is just for display. It is how we show others about Christ, through us--His Vessels that matters.

And, that..is my view on things.

God Bless!
All I can say is AMEN Kelly!!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 04:03:32 AM »

My church has no crosses, and no idols.

We want to reach out to people, to all people, we have a new Covenant with God.

We don't need crosses or icons, or idols. We have Jesus.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 12:03:02 PM »

Our church has one empty cross and it's in the Baptismal. We put it there because it reminds us that our Savior is Risen off of that old rugged cross, and that the baptism in which is being performed is symbolic of what has been done to our souls. We've been saved, we've died to our sins, been buried, and raised in his likeness. Our souls are cleaned from our sins and we are regenerate souls. Simply put, the empty cross is a reminder that YES, our Lord is Risen and He will come back one day to redeem His church. Hope you all are well and God Bless.

Coram Deo,
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the