Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:04:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Mocking Elijah
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mocking Elijah  (Read 1569 times)
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2006, 11:53:30 AM »

1 Kings 18, 19:1-8

We like to mock Elijah. Oh, that man of little faith. That cowardly, doubting man. We take comfort in the fact that Elijah, even Elijah, doubted his God and ran away when trouble came.
     Somebody mocked Elijah’s disciple. Go on up, you old man, you old bald man. Then the bears came. Oh, my. Oh my what? Oh my God!
     God laughed through Elijah. The God that speaks with the mouths of prophets also laughs through them. "Who is God, anyway? Dagon’s son? Is Baal true God? Let’s see about that. Dance, you priests. Scream, you prophets. Where is he, anyway? Is he taking a nap? Is he on vacation? Where is this deaf, dumb god?"
     They raved all day. They ranted till evening. God laughed. And the joke was not over.
     "Your god, your deaf, dumb, absentee god, wouldn’t visit dry wood and fresh meat. Wait, I’m not done yet. I have perfect confidence that the true God will glorify Himself. He’s done it before, and He’ll do it again. He made the world out of water and He’ll destroy it with fire, till the seas are licked dry and no place is found for them. Dig a moat. Fill it up. Water, water everywhere. Wet the tinder. Soak the alter. Swamp this holy spot. Who is God, anyway? He flooded the earth and He’ll burn it clean."
     Who is this king of glory? This is Israel’s God, this heavenly flame that leaves a desert bush unburned, but drinks up water and licks up the dust that’s left behind. This is how God laughs - the laughter of a wild and glorious God. He laughed through Elijah. Through David and Samuel. He laughed through a prophet in the palaces of Egypt. He laughed through a son born to an old, old man. He laughs; He is a jealous, joyous God. Boys and ostriches and old prophets laugh because they are strong. When men laugh scornfully God scorns them for the dust that they are. When Men laugh helplessly, as dust laughs, they see a God of holy humor; fire dinks water, and water turns to wine, and a single flask of oil fills all the empty jars of a clan. He makes Creation ridiculous to Men, and sends fools to confound the wise, and tells dandelions to split sidewalks. He does it because He is God. He does it to His own glory. He does it for the joy set before Him. When the ostrich laughs at horse and rider, this is God laughing at His great things through His foolish things. He owns the cattle of a thousand hills and the bronze-boned Behemoth, and still He loves His sparrows.
     But God did not mock when Elijah hid.
     Elijah came to a wilderness place, weary and weighed down by a troubled spirit. He came to a lonesome spot to be alone with God. He did not take his life into his own hands; he sought the God of sparrows and behemoths and burdened men, and said, Take this cup from me. Give me Your permission to die. I am so tired; I am only a man, no greater than other men.
     God did not mock Elijah. God did not say, Oh ye of little faith! You saw Me defeat the priests of Baal! You saw My glory made known in Israel! How strong you were then, oh yes, when the day was going well! Now you run and hide at the threat of Man - and not only of men, but of a woman!
     God did not scorn Elijah. In that barrenness, a godly, lonely man humbly sought his God and asked to end. And his God gave him rest.
     Once a man crossed a valley of blood and entered a garden and prayed for deliverance. If it is your will, God. If it is possible. The journey is too difficult. I am alone.
     God did not mock the prophet hidden in the wasteland. The Father did not mock His Son hidden in the garden. He gave them comfort; He gave them strength. He sent His heavenly servants to their aid. And the journey was no longer too hard to bear. His name shall be called Immanuel, God with us; His wrath lasts only a moment, and His lovingkindness endures forever.

-Joy

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the