Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Verse For Today
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Verse For Today  (Read 61328 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 08:55:30 AM »

AMEN SISTER MARIA!

Thank you. That was a beautiful post, and I pray that hosts of people read it. The GOOD NEWS of the Gospel of GOD'S Grace is the most important topic in existence.

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 66:20 NASB  Blessed be God, Who has not turned away my prayer Nor His lovingkindness from me.

Brother Tom, it is my deepest desire that some of our guests read these posts and if they haven't already received Jesus as their Lord, that they may realize that tomorrow is promised to no one. That today is the day of salvation. That we have nothing to lose, but everything to gain  Smiley

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 04:05:39 AM »

Ro 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

In the OT animals has to be sacrificied in order to make atonement for their sins. Each person having to bring their own sacrifice. The shed blood of animals could not take away the sin of fallen man. Hence the law could not give fallen man eternal life or forgiveness of sins once and for all, atonement had to be made yearly.

God sent His own Son, Jesus to the earth to be born in the likeness of sinful flesh and to condmn sin in the flesh. Jesus was perfect in that He had no sin, He did not have the Ademic sin that we His creation have. He did not have the blood of sinful man, He had already exsisted before Adam was created, He was the Creator.

He was born of a virgin, and concieved by the Holy Spirit, therefore He had no sin. Yet He came to earth to be made sin for us, He represented that sacrifice that was made yearly under the law, but this sacrifice was far better, because it was done once and for all, for all mankind. Mankind would never again have to sacrifice animals in order to be forgiven of sins. Jesus paid it all once and for all. He became each man's personal Savior. Man no longer had to sacrifice a perfect lamb to atone for his sins for a short time. It was already done by the Blood of the Lamb. The Lamb God Himself provided for us.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 05:36:55 PM »

Joh 1:29 ¶ The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Joh 1:36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

In my last post I made mention of the Lamb God provided for us to take away our sins.

If you notice in the OT the people had to bring a flawless lamb to be sacrificed for the atonemnt of their sins. Each person had to bring their own. And this had to be done every year.

In the NT God provided the perfect, flawless Lamb We don't need to sacrifice a lamb to make atonement for our sins. It's already been done once and for all, for everyone.

This Sunday Christians will be celebrating Resurrection Day. Thanking God for the love He has for us. Thanking our Lord Jesus for dying on that cross for our sins.  He didn't have to stay there, He could have gotten down if He wanted to, but He stayed there and died for us, to save us. He was looking at His creation and He was looking into the future generations, He knew He loved us too much to try to get off that cross. It wasn't the nails that held Him on that cross, it was His love for us.

This Resurrection Day, let us remember that our salvation was purchased with a great price. We belong to Him twice, first because He created us, and second because He bought us back. Let us praise and worship our Father for His love. Let us thank God for the Resurrection of our Savior, and Lord. The King of Kings, Jesus Christ.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 09:27:40 AM »

Phi 4:8  For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]. Amplified Bible

Phi 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. KJV

Phi 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ASV

John Gill Exposition of the entire Bible

Phi 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true,.... To close all with respect to the duties of Christianity incumbent on the professors of it, the apostle exhorts to a regard to everything that is true; that is agreeable to the Scriptures of truth, to the Gospel the word of truth, or to the law and light of nature; and whatever was really so, even among the very Heathens, in opposition to falsehood, lying, and hypocrisy

whatsoever things are honest; in the sight of men; or grave, or "venerable" in speech, in action or attire, in opposition to levity, frothiness, or foppery:

whatsoever things are just; between man and man, or with respect both to God and men; giving to God what belongs to him, and to man what is his due; studying to exercise a conscience void of offence to both, in opposition to all impiety, injustice, violence, and oppression:

whatsoever things are pure; or "chaste", in words and deeds, in opposition to all filthiness and foolish talking, to obscene words and actions. The Vulgate Latin and Arabic versions render it, "whatsoever things are holy"; which are agreeable to the holy nature, law, and will of God, and which tend to promote holiness of heart and life:

whatsoever are lovely; which are amiable in themselves, and to be found even among mere moral men, as in the young man whom Christ as man is said to love, Mar_10:21; and which serve to cultivate and increase love, friendship, and amity among men; and which things also are grateful to God and lovely in his sight, in opposition to all contention, strife, wrath, and hatred:

whatsoever things are of good report; are well spoken of, and tend to get and establish a good name, which is better than precious ointment, Ecc_7:1; for though a good name, credit, and reputation among men, are to be sacrificed for the sake of Christ when called for; yet care is to be taken to preserve them by doing things which may secure them, and cause professors of religion to be well reported of; and which beautiful in all, and absolutely necessary in some:

if there be any virtue; anywhere, among any persons whatever, in opposition to vice:

and if there be any praise; that is praiseworthy among men, and deserves commendation, even though in an unjust steward, Luk_16:8, it should be regarded. The Vulgate Latin adds, "of discipline", without any authority from any copy. The Claromontane manuscript reads, "if any praise of knowledge":

think on these things: meditate upon them, revolve them in your minds, seriously consider them, and reason with yourselves about them, in order to put them into practice.

My words

Have you ever noticed that your thoughts can affect your mood?

You're sitting in your favorite chair reading, and suddenly you read something that reminds you of your grandma, warm memories bring a smile to your face, perhaps a tear to your eye as you think lovingly of how much grandma meant to you.

You are fishing with your grown son and grandson, and suddenly you remember the day you went fishing with you friend when you were just teens and something he did (you can't recall) makes you lose your 'best catch', years have gone by, you have forgiven your friend, but just the same soon you find yourself angry at your friend all over again. So angry that you want to give him 'a piece of your mind.'

Thoughts can control your mood, and your feelings. Once your mood has changed and soured those around you are affected by your mood. It is so important to always think on things that are of good report, things that are pleasant. It is satan's job to try to keep everyone unhappy and angry, why give him the opportunity to control your feelings and reactions to those around you?

The mind is where satan tries to take control, he will plant evil thoughts into the mind and that is where you have to push away the evil thoughts.
Ro 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
 Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 02:45:49 PM »

Isa 54:13 And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

POOLE
Shall be taught of the Lord; not only outwardly by his word, which was made known to all the Jews under the Old Testament, but inwardly by his Spirit, which is poured forth under the New Testament, both upon a far greater number of persons, and in a far higher measure, and with much more efficacy and success, than it was under the Old.

The peace: 

1. Inward peace of mind or conscience arising from the clear discoveries of God's love and reconciliation to us, and wrought by the Spirit of adoption, which is more abundantly given to believers under the gospel, whereas the spirit of bondage was more common and prevalent under the law.

2. Outward peace, safety, and happiness, which is more fully promised in the following verses, and which God, when he sees fit, will confer upon his church.

MY Words

As parents the best thing we can leave our children is not money, that can be spent quite quickly and unwisely, especcially if they haven't worked for it, it's not a great college education, there are many who have gone to the best universities and are not happy with what they majored in so they resort to a lesser paying, less stressful carreer.

The best thing parents can do for their children is 'bring them up in the fear of the Lord'

As a matter of fact it is the parents' responsibilitiy to do just that. Not just for our childrens sake , but for our own sake as well, it is a command from God. The Bible doesn't say 'if you want to'

It will also save parents a lot of heartache when their children are grown, knowing that they have knowledge of the Lord, and the peace that comes with it.

Pr 22:6  Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Ps 119:165  Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 12:35:14 PM »

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Poole

But as many as received him; though the generality of those amongst whom Christ came received him not in the manner before expressed, yet some did own him, believed in him and submitted to him; and to as many as thus received him, not into their houses only, but into their hearts, to them gave he power to become the sons of God; he gave a power, or a right, or privilege, not that they might if they would be, but to be actually, to become, or be, the sons of God by adoption; for believers are already the sons of God, Ga 3:26, though it doth not yet appear what they shall be in the adoption, mentioned Ro 8:23, which the apostle calls the redemption of our body, viz. in the resurrection; hence the children of God are called the children of the resurrection, Lu 20:36.

To them that believe on his name; this is the privilege of all that believe in the name of Christ; by which term he opens the former term of receiving: to receive Christ, and to believe in his name, are the same thing. To believe in his name, is either to believe in him, Ac 3:16 or in the revelation of himself in the promises of the gospel. The proposition of God's word is the object of faith of assent: but the person of the Mediator is the object of that faith which receiveth Christ; and those alone have a right to be the sons of God, and to the privileges peculiar to sons, who believe in Christ as revealed in the promises of the word of God, and there exhibited to men.

Adam Clarke Commentary

Verse 12.  Gave he power] exousian, Privilege, honour, dignity, or right. He who is made a child of God enjoys the greatest privilege which the Divine Being can confer on this side eternity. Those who accept Jesus Christ, as he is offered to them in the Gospel, have, through his blood, a right to this sonship; for by that sacrifice this blessing was purchased; and the fullest promises of God confirm it to all who believe. And those who are engrafted in the heavenly family have the highest honour and dignity to which it is possible for a human soul to arrive. What an astonishing thought is this! The sinner, who was an heir to all God's curses, has, through the sacrifice of Jesus, a claim on the mercy of the Most High, and a right to be saved! Even justice itself, on the ground of its holy and eternal nature, gives salvation to the vilest who take refuge in this atonement; for justice has nothing to grant, or Heaven to give, which the blood of the Son of God has not merited.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 03:19:57 AM »

Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble. Psalm 41:1

TOD

The poor intended, are such as are poor in substance, weak in bodily strength, despised in repute, and desponding in spirit.  These are mostly avoided and frequently scorned.

Poole

That considereth; or, that carries himself wisely and prudently with or towards him, not rashly and foolishly censures and condemns him, as my pretended friends dealt with me, Ps 41:8; nor insulteth over him, which is a foolish as well as wicked thing; but considereth that it may be his own case, and therefore pitieth and helpeth him; which is the likeliest way to obtain the like pity for himself in his trouble.

The poor; or rather, the weak, or sick, or languishing person, as may be gathered by comparing this with Ps 41:3, where the mercy which he is supposed to have afforded to him is returned upon himself, and with Ps 41:8.

My Words

No one is exempt from human frailties, we all suffer at one time or another. Nothing is so uplifting as to have someone who will be at your side in your time of need. God blesses us as we bless others. When we bless someone in any way, we can be sure that God is blessing us in ways we may never know.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2006, 02:43:14 AM »

Pr 16:21 ¶ The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

Poole

He who hath wisdom or sound knowledge in his heart, will show it by his prudence in ordering his actions.

The wise in heart shall be called prudent: the sense is either,

1. He who hath wisdom or sound knowledge in his heart, will show it by his prudence in ordering his actions. Or rather,

2. He who is truly wise, or prudent, or intelligent (all which words most commonly signify one and the same thing, both in this and in other books of Scripture) shall be so called or accounted by others.

The sweetness of the lips; eloquence added to wisdom; the faculty of expressing a man's mind fitly, and freely, and acceptably.

Increaseth learning; both in himself, for whilst a man teacheth others he improveth himself; and especially in others, who by this means are induced to hear and receive his good instructions. Wisdom gets a man repute with others, but this faculty of right speaking makes a wise man more instrumental to do good to others.

My Words.
The Bible has much to say about wisdom, God made us in His image and wants His people to have wisdom and knowledge.
 When asked by God what he wanted Solomon asked God for wisdom; wisdom to lead God's people. God was so pleased that Solomon chose wisdom, when he could have chosen a long life, wealth as well. God wants us to get wisdom. The only place to get wisdom is in God's Word. The wisdom of the world is foolishness with God.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »

Ro 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Ro 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This is the comfort that Christians have:
Nothing shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. His love is like Himself unchangeable, and everlasting.
He Who gave His own Son, to save us will never stop loving us. The above Scriptures cover everything, not one reason or thing is left out. God will always love us.
Should we not always love God the way He loves us?

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 10:01:05 AM »

Wisdom

Jas 1:5  If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Barnes NT Commentary

Verse 5.  If any of you lack wisdom. Probably this refers particularly to the kind of wisdom which they would need in their trials, to enable them to bear them in a proper manner; for there is nothing in which Christians more feel the need of heavenly wisdom than in regard to the manner in which they should bear trials, and what they should do in the perplexities, and disappointments, and bereavements that come upon them: but the language employed is so general, that what is here said may be applied to the need of wisdom in all respects. The particular kind of wisdom which we need in trials is to enable us to understand their design and tendency; to perform our duty under them, or the new duties which may grow out of them; to learn the lessons which God designs to teach, for he always designs to teach us some valuable lessons by affliction; and to cultivate such views and feelings as are appropriate under the peculiar forms of trial which are brought upon us, to find out the sins for which we have been afflicted, and to learn how we may avoid them in time to come. We are in great danger of going wrong when we are afflicted; of complaining and murmuring; of evincing a spirit of insubmission, and of losing the benefits which we might have obtained if we had submitted to the trial in a proper manner. So in all things we "lack wisdom." We are shortsighted; we have hearts prone to sin; and there are great and important matters pertaining to duty and salvation on which we cannot but feel that we need heavenly guidance.

Let him ask of God. That is, for the specific wisdom which he needs; the very wisdom which is necessary for him in the particular case. It is proper to bear the very case before God; to make mention of the specific want; to ask of God to guide us in the very matter where we feel so much embarrassment. It is one of the privileges of Christians, that they may not only go to God and ask him for that general wisdom which is needful for them in life, but that whenever a particular emergency arises, a case of perplexity and difficulty in regard to duty, they may bring that particular thing before his throne, with the assurance that he will guide them. Compare Ps 25:9; Isa 37:14; Joe 2:17.

That giveth to all men liberally. The word men here is supplied by the translators, but not improperly, though the promise should be regarded as restricted to those who ask. The object of the writer was to encourage those who felt their need of wisdom, to go and ask it of God; and it would not contribute anything to furnish such a specific encouragement to say of God that he gives to all men liberally whether they ask or not. In the Scriptures, the promise of Divine aid is always limited to the desire. No blessing is promised to man that is not sought; no man can feel that he has a right to hope for the favour of God, who does not value it enough to pray for it; no one ought to obtain it, who does not prize it enough to ask for it. Compare Mt 7:7-8. The word rendered liberally, (aplwv,) means, properly, simply; that is, in simplicity, sincerity, reality. It occurs nowhere else in the New Testament, though the corresponding noun occurs in Ro 12:8; 2Co 1:12; 11:3, rendered simplicity; in 2Co 8:2; 2Co 9:13, rendered liberality and liberal; 2Co 9:11, rendered bountifulness; and Eph 6:5; Col 3:22, rendered singleness, scil., of the heart. The idea seems to be that of openness, frankness, generosity; the absence of all that is sordid and contracted; where there is the manifestation of generous feeling, and liberal conduct, In a higher sense than in the case of any man, all that is excellent in these things is to be found in God; and we may therefore come to him feeling that in his heart there is more that is noble and generous in bestowing favours than in any other being. There is nothing that is stinted and close; there is no partiality; there is no withholding of his favour because we are poor, and unlettered, and unknown.

And upbraideth not. Does not reproach, rebuke, or treat harshly. He does not coldly repel us, if we come and ask what we need, though we do it often and with importunity. Compare Lu 18:1-7. The proper meaning of the Greek word is to rail at, reproach, revile, chide; and the object here is probably to place the manner in which God bestows his favours in contrast with what sometimes occurs among men. He does not reproach or chide us for our past conduct; for our foolishness; for our importunity in asking. He permits us to come in the most free manner, and meets us with a spirit of entire kindness, and with promptness in granting our requests. We are not always sure, when we ask a favour of a man, that we shall not encounter something that will be repulsive, or that will mortify us; we are certain, however, when we ask a favour of God, that we shall never be reproached in an unfeeling manner, or meet with a harsh response.

And it shall be given him. Compare Jer 29:12-13, "Then shall ye call upon me, and go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with your whole heart." See also Mt 7:7-8; 21:22; Mr 11:24; 1Jo 3:22; 5:14. This promise, in regard to the wisdom that may be necessary for us, is absolute; and we may be sure that if it be asked in a proper manner it will be granted us. There can be no doubt that it is one of the things which God is able to impart; which will be for our own good; and which, therefore, he is ever ready to bestow. About many things there might be doubt whether, if they were granted, they would be for our real welfare, and therefore there may be a doubt whether it would be consistent for God to bestow them; but there can be no such doubt about wisdom. That is always for our good; and we may be sure, therefore, that we shall obtain that, if the request be made with a right spirit. If it be asked in what may expect he will bestow it on us, it may be replied,

(1,) That it is through his word--by enabling us to see clearly the meaning of the sacred volume, and to understand the directions which he has there given to guide us;

(2,) by the secret influences of his Spirit

(a) suggesting to us the way in which we should go, and

(b) inclining us to do that which is prudent and wise; and,

(3,) by the events of his Providence making plain to us the path of duty, and removing the obstructions which may be in our path. It is easy for God to guide his people; and they who "watch daily at the gates, and wait at the posts of the doors" of wisdom, (Pr 8:34,) will not be in danger of going astray, Ps 25:9.

{+} "lack", or "want"
{a} "that giveth to all men liberally" Pr 2:3-6
{b} "and it shall be given him" Jer 29:12

My Words

Wisdom is certainly needed to make wise choices in all aspects of life, from deciding a career, to choosing a husband or wife, to choosing whether to rent or buy a home, everything and anything that we do requires wisdom.

Of course there is the Wisdom that is necessary to live from day to day in a Godly manner. This is in my opinion very important. We don't have the answers to everything in life, but God does.

The way to get wisdom is to go to God in prayer, reading His Word, meditating in His Word, and waiting on Him. He is waiting on you to ask.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 11:55:51 AM »

2Ti 1:5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.

My Words

Here the Apostle Paul in exhorting Timothy, lovingly remembers Lois and Eunice.
Lois was most likely among some of the first to convert to Christianity, she raised and taught her daughter Eunice, who now has trained Timothy in the Way. Timothy according to Hitchcocks Bible Names means: honor of God; valued of God.

As we read the Bible we learn that Timothy's father was Greek, however because of the unfeigned faith of Lois and Eunice, Timothy grew strong in the Lord. Even as a lad he already was being trained by Paul, who reffered to him as "my dearly beloved son".

In my humble opinion, there is no greater thing a mother or grandmother can do for her child or grandchild is to pray, pray earnestly for the child. How blessed is the child whose mother and grandmother pray for.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 05:01:42 AM »

Ro 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

Matthew Poole Commentary

Ver. 37. Nay, in all these things; i.e. in tribulation, distress, &c. as before, Ro 8:35.

We are more than conquerors; or, we overcome. We conquer when we ourselves are conquered; we conquer by those which are wont to conquer others; we beat our enemies with their own weapons. The meaning seems to be this: The devil aims, in all the sufferings of God's children, to draw them off from Christ, to make them murmur, despair, &c.; but in this he is defeated and disappointed, for God inspires his children with such a generous and noble spirit, that sufferings abate not their zeal and patience, but rather increase them. "We Christians laugh at your cruelty, and grow the more resolute", said one of Julian's nobles to him.

Through him that loved us: a short description of Christ, together with a reason of a Christian's success. The conquest he hath over sin, and over sufferings also, is not from himself, or his own strength, but from Christ, &c.: see Ro 7:24,25; 1Co 15:57; 2Co 2:14; 2Ti 4:17.

My own thoughts

Brothers & Sisters,
We, (human beings) cannot be strong in ourselves. We become conquerors when we allow the Lord to be our Stronghold.

We should ever keep it present in our minds that our enemy is not a puny little cartoon character with a pitchfork and a tail, we should remember that he is a powerful enemy that we alone cannot defeat, however, he already has been defeated by our Lord, and we as heirs and His children have the power and the authority in the Name of Jesus to conquer him; because we are strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 02:47:38 PM »

2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Commentary Barnes

Verse 25.  In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves. That is, those who embrace error, and array themselves against the truth. We are not to become angry with such persons, and denounce them at once as heretics. We are not to hold them up to public reproach and scorn; but we are to set about the business of patiently instructing them. Their grand difficulty, it is supposed in this direction, is, that they are ignorant of the truth. Our business with them is, calmly to show them  what the truth is. If they are angry, we are not to be. If they oppose the truth, we are still calmly to state it to them. If they are slow to see it, we are not to become weary or impatient, Nor, if they do not embrace it at all, are we to become angry with them, and denounce them. We may pity them, but we need not use hard words. This is the apostolic precept about the way of treating those who are in error; and can any one fail to see its beauty and propriety? Let it be remembered, also, that this is not only beautiful and proper in itself; it is the wisest course, if we would bring others over to our opinions. You are not likely to convince a man that you are right, and that he is wrong, if you first make him angry; nor are you very likely to do it, if you enter into harsh contention. You then put him on his guard; you make him a party; and, from self-respect, or pride, or anger, he will endeavour to defend his own opinions, and will not yield to yours. Meekness and gentleness are the very best things, if you wish to convince another that he is wrong. Win his heart first, and then modestly and kindly show him what the truth is, in as few words, and with as unassuming a spirit, as possible, and you have him.

If God peradventure will give them repentance, etc. Give them such a view of the error which they have embraced, and such regret for having embraced it, that they shall be willing to admit the truth. After all our care in teaching others the truth, our only dependence is on God for its success. We cannot be absolutely certain that they will see their error; we cannot rely certainly on any power which argument will have; we can only hope that God may show them their error, and enable them to see and embrace the truth. Compare Ac 11:18. The word rendered peradventure, here mhpote--means, usually, not even, never; and then, that never, lest ever--the same as lest perhaps. It is translated lest at any time, Mt 4:6; 5:26; 13:15; Mr 4:12; Lu 21:34 lest, Mt 7:6; 13:29; 15:32, et al.; lest haply, Lu 14:12; Ac 5:39. It does not imply that there was any chance about what is said, but rather that there was uncertainty in the mind of the speaker, and that there was need of caution lest something should occur; or, that anything was done, or should be done, to prevent something from happening. It is not used elsewhere in the New Testament in the sense which our translators, and all the critics, so far as I have examined, give to it here--as implying a hope that God would give them repentance, etc. But I may be permitted to suggest another interpretation, which will accord with the uniform meaning of the word in the New Testament, and which will refer the matter to those who had embraced the error, and not to God. It is this: "In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves--(antidiatiyemenouv) lest --mhpote --God should give them repentance, and they should recover themselves out of the snare of the devil," etc. That is, they put themselves in this posture of opposition so that they shall not be brought to repentance, and recover themselves. They do it with a precautionary view that they may not be thus brought to repentance, and be recovered to God. They take this position of opposition to the truth, intending not to be converted; and this is the reason why they are not converted.

MY WORDS

It is very important for all of us who walk in the Truth to remember that we also were once lost, that we too needed someone to help us understand those things we couldn't. But even more important is the fact that each and everyone of us wants to be treated with love and respect. May we always remember the golden rule                                 

"Treat others as you would have them treat you"

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 12:45:45 AM »

Lu 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward whom his lord shall set over his houseservants, to give them their portion of food in season? (MKJV)

Luk 12:42  And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful steward, the wise man whom his master will set over those in his household service to supply them their allowance of food at the appointed time? (AMP)

Who then is the faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall set over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? The answer of Jesus shows that he especially addressed the disciples, for a steward is distinct from the household. On him the whole burden and care of the domestic establishment rested. Thus Jesus showed that he meant the disciples, yet did not exclude any who heard from profiting by his discourse. Fidelity is the first requisite in a steward, and wisdom is the second. All Christians are stewards; preachers, elders, Sunday-school teachers, etc., are stewards of place and office. Rich men, fathers, etc., are stewards of influence and possessions.

(TFG 323)

MY Thoughts

Each and every born-again Christian is a stewart, we have all been given a commision, that is to spread the Good News of the Gospel. We shouldn't just look at it as a commision only, but as an act of love first for our God and second for our fellow human beings.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 09:35:56 AM »

Pr 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue Keepeth his soul from troubles.

In the Book of James we read:
Jas 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
Jas 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jas 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison

We are warned in the Bible, that we will give an account for every idle word.

With the tongue we could bless and we could curse. Let us use wisdom and think carefully and wisely before we say things that we may later regret.
Words have a way of sinking into people's hearts, whether they are uplifting or destructive. The sad thing is that when we say things we really didn't mean, no amount of apologizing can take the words back.  Once words come out of the mouth, they have either done their damage or built someone up.

Father, in the name of Jesus, I ask that You remind me to keep a watch over my mouth everytime I get ready to speak, please remind me to use my to upbuild, strengthen, and bless others. Amen

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the