Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:28:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christ died on Thursday and rose on Sunday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christ died on Thursday and rose on Sunday  (Read 9637 times)
asaph
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2003, 03:55:40 AM »

John1one,
Thanks for the details. I know you went into a lot of work to refute the traditional view. I can't answer you on the basis of word studies because I am not a greek scholar. So I will have to stick to the english translation and hope that I can cast a reasonable doubt on the thursday and wednesday theories.

Let's begin by looking at exactly which Sabbath Day followed His passion. Was it the first day of Unleavened Bread, or the Seventh day (Saturday) Sabbath?

Luke 23:52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
Luke 23:53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
Luke 23:54 And that day was the preparation [Friday], and the sabbath drew on.
Luke 23:55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
Luke 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. [seventh day Saturday sabbath]
Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week [Sunday], very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

The women viewed the sepulchre and the body of Jesus on the preparation day (Friday evening before sunset) and then rested according to the 4th Commandment, on the Saturday Sabbath. When the Saturday Sabbath had past, the women returned to the tomb at sunrise, and that day was the first day of the week (Sunday). Clearly then, Jesus was crucified on Friday afternoon, the preparation day for the Saturday Sabbath.

This Friday preparation day is mentioned in Mat 27:62, Mk 15:42, Lk 23:54, Jn 19:14, 19:31 and 19:42. It is worth noting that "the preparation day" is apparently always used to define the day before the seventh-day Sabbath, but not a day preceding a non-seventh-day festival sabbath. The term always means what we call Friday, in both scriptural and non-scriptural usage.

In conclusion the seventh-day Sabbath was the day after the crucifixion, because the women rested that Sabbath day (Saturday) according to the fourth commandment of God. Therefore, the crucifixion had to have occurred on a Friday.

More to come.

asaph

asaph
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2003, 04:11:01 AM »

John1one
Quote you

The rest of the Scriptures concerning the "third day" are Matthew 16:21; 17:23; 20:19; Mark 9:31; 10:34; Luke 9:22; 18:33; 24:7, 21, 46; Acts 10:40 and 1Corinthians 15:4. There are no prepositions to help us in any of these Scriptures except perhaps Luke 24:21 where the disciples say that this is "the third day since these things". The Greek word here is "apo" (S.575) and means from or since. It has the sense of "from" any time onwards. Here we would have to consider the whole day (the first day of the week) because the two disciples were speaking to Jesus toward evening that day. If you count the final moments of Friday, it has the possibility to mean what you say, provided Christ rose at sunrise the first day of the week rather than sunset on the 7th day of the week as indicated by Matthew 28:1. The clause in Luke 24:21 can also refer to the third days since all those things that happened were done, but then again, according to your link, I may be very devious in how I present my case here.

We cannot just brush away verses because they have no prepositions can we? The verses in my view do set a precidence. (spelling?)

Please allow me to quote again:

Mat 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again *the third day*.

Mat 17:23 And they shall kill him, and *the third day* he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Mat 20:19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and *the third day* he shall rise again.

Mark 9:31 For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise *the third* day.

Mark 10:34 And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and *the third day* he shall rise again.

Luke 9:22 Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised *the third day*.

Luke 18:33 And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and *the third day* he shall rise again.

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
Acts 10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
Acts 10:40 Him God raised up *the third day*, and showed him openly;

1 Cor 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1 Cor 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again *the third day* according to the scriptures:

Jesus was resurrected ON the third day after His death and burial, not after three literal days. If He rose after 72 hours, then all the above verses would read on the FOURTH day.

asaph
asaph
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2003, 04:15:27 AM »

Perhaps I'm simplistic...but isn't it just wonderful that He died for us, and rose to live in us?  Smiley

I agree, but this is just for fun.

asaph
asaph
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2003, 04:27:35 AM »

John1one,
Let's take a look at Matthew 28:1.

In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

You pointed out this verse to show that the women first came to the tomb late on the sabbath (Saturday) near sunset. Your point is quickly clarified by looking at Mark's account:

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
Mark 16:3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?

Clearly the women came to the tomb at sunrise, finding the tomb empty. So what about the strange wording of Matthew 28:1? The explanation can be found in the division of the text into verses. The original Greek texts contain no punctuation, or chapter or verse markings. These were later added as a convenience to the reader. By merely reorganizing Matthew 27:66 and 28:1 as follows, the apparent ambiguity completely disappears:

Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Mat 27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.
Mat 27:65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.

Note that in verse 62, the request for a guard on the tomb was made on a Sabbath (the day after the preparation) and that the request was for a guard until the third day. Now, here is how the following verses should be printed:

Mat 27:66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch in the end of the sabbath.
Mat 28:1 As it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Note that the wording is not changed, merely the dividing point of the verses is changed by moving the period ending verse sixty-six. It was the watch guarding the tomb that began at the end of the sabbath! This shows that Matthew and Mark agree completely as to when the women came to the tomb: just before the rising of the sun at dawn, the first day of the week, Sunday.

Since Jesus was to rise the third day, the Roman guards were put in place immediately at the end of the Sabbath, because they anticipated the body being stolen by the Jews sometime on Sunday, the third (and next) day. Had they anticipated the theft on Saturday, then the guard would have been in place by Friday evening, (the preparation day).

asaph

asaph
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2003, 11:55:45 AM »

Now let's take a look at "inclusive reckoning".

Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Mat 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, *After three days* I will rise again.

Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and *after three days* rise again.

These verses are appealed to in order to propose a full 72 hours in the grave. They do seem to say a full 3 days and 3 nights don't they? How can this possibly be reconciled with the traditional chronology? If you believe the Bible cannot contradict itself, then these verses MUST be harmonized with the rest of scripture on the subject.
Well... please note the following story in 1 Kings-

1 Ki 12:5 And he said unto them, Depart yet *for three days*, then come again to me. And the people departed.

1 Ki 12:12 So Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam *the third day*, as the king had appointed, saying, Come to me again *the third day*.

The king tells the people to depart for three days, but they return ON the third day, not on the fourth!! Why? Because the king did not mean to be gone for a full 72 hours. The counting of days was inclusive in nature. The same day that the king told them to leave was the first day. The second day they stayed away, and then they returned the third day, as the king had intended. This is the exactly the same manner of counting used for the resurrection. It is inclusive in nature, with whatever portion of the first and last days being counted as full days.

Just for good measure, this same story is told in 2 Chronicles-

2 Chr 10:5 And he said unto them, Come again unto me *after three days*. And the people departed.

2 Chr 10:12 So Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam *on the third day*, as the king bade, saying, Come again to me *on the third day*.

Note the way this is worded compared to 1 Kings. Come again unto me after three days, depart yet for three days, and Come again to me on the third day, these all mean exactly the same thing, which is NOT a full three days or a full 72 hours.

Luke 13:31 The same day there came certain of the Pharisees, saying unto him, Get thee out, and depart hence: for Herod will kill thee.
Luke 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
Luke 13:33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.

Note that here in Luke 13, the third day clearly means the day after tomorrow, not after 3 full days. So, in light of all the evidence, Matt 12:40, 27:63 and Mark 8:31 do not really mean a full literal three days and nights or 72 hours, since Jesus clearly rose ON the third day. By Jewish understanding, referred to as inclusive reckoning, three days and three nights, and after three days, simply meant the same thing as ON the third day.

asaph

John1one

Christian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2003, 01:01:18 AM »

Greetins Asaph,
I really enjoyed reading what you have written. However, I copied your posts up to post 18 and worked from my copy off line. When I returned to post, I noticed that you also have a post 19. I will be quite busy this weekend. I may not be able to address this post before Monday. I hope you understand.

Quote Asaph
I can't answer you on the basis of word studies because I am not a greek scholar. So I will have to stick to the english translation and hope that I can cast a reasonable doubt on the thursday and wednesday theories.

I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I am a scholar. I have invested in some good "Bible helps" but nothing more than that.

Quote Asaph
Let's begin by looking at exactly which Sabbath Day followed His passion. Was it the first day of Unleavened Bread, or the Seventh day (Saturday) Sabbath?

...The women viewed the sepulchre and the body of Jesus on the preparation day (Friday evening before sunset) and then rested according to the 4th Commandment, on the Saturday Sabbath. When the Saturday Sabbath had past, the women returned to the tomb at sunrise, and that day was the first day of the week (Sunday). Clearly then, Jesus was crucified on Friday afternoon, the preparation day for the Saturday Sabbath.

This Friday preparation day is mentioned in Mat 27:62, Mk 15:42, Lk 23:54, Jn 19:14, 19:31 and 19:42. It is worth noting that "the preparation day" is apparently always used to define the day before the seventh-day Sabbath, but not a day preceding a non-seventh-day festival sabbath. The term always means what we call Friday, in both scriptural and non-scriptural usage.

In conclusion the seventh-day Sabbath was the day after the crucifixion, because the women rested that Sabbath day (Saturday) according to the fourth commandment of God. Therefore, the crucifixion had to have occurred on a Friday.

I can save a little time here by first of all admitting that the 6th day of the week is indeed a day of preparation as Exodus 16:5 makes clear. However, every Sabbath was a day of rest. No work could be done in any of the Holy Day Sabbaths either. Notice Leviticus 23:6-7. Here it is speaking of the 15th of Nisan the Feast Day of the Passover. It is a Sabbath and no work is to be done. Therefore, all the preparations that were normally done for a weekly Sabbath had to be done for this day as well. Moreover, a great deal of more work had to be done for this particular Sabbath - more than any other. All the leaven must be cast out of their houses and unleavened bread only could be eaten. Houses had to be cleaned so no bread crumbs etc could be lying around anywhere (Exodus 12:15-19). It was a big deal. Leaven was a type of evil or sin. This seven day festival celebrated the Lord leading them out of Egypt which is also a type of sin or evil. The fulfillment being that we celebrate Christ leading us out of sin, removing all our sin, casting away all that offends etc. It was a seven day Festival - eight if you include the Passover day (not a Sabbath) upon which our Lord was crucified.

That this time is also called a preparation day is made clear in 2Chronicles 35:3-8 and 16-18. Here Josiah made great preparations for the Passover so that all Israel celebrated the Feast. No Passover celebration was quite like that one even in the times of David. The Lord was really pleased with the preparations.

You quoted the last few verse of Luke and I would like to quote some of them here to ask a few questions:
Luke 23:54  And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on. 55  And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid. 56  And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Verse-54 makes it very clear that the sun is going down and that indeed it is the day of preparation. John 19:42 shows the reason for them using Joseph's tomb is that it was so near to the place where Jesus was killed. There just wasn't time to make any arrangements for a proper burial or to select a grave site of His own.

Verse-55 clearly shows the women following those who took Jesus' body to note where they laid Him. Remember, these women were from Galilee and a few from Bethany. They didn't know where Joseph's tomb was. They had to follow.

Verse-56 makes it plain that they returned (to where - there homes and places they were staying for the Feast). Then they prepared spices and ointments, but also RESTED according to the commandment.

One thing is clear to me that when they RESTED, it was to obey the commandement to rest on the seventh day Sabbath. We are in agreement here. My questions are these:
  • When did they have time to prepare the spices and ointments since the sun was already setting by the time they laid Jesus in the tomb?
  • Moreover, where did they get the spices and ointments? It should be clear that they did not bring such things from Galilee.
  • Certainly by the time that they returned to their homes it was already the Sabbath. Wouldn't the places of business be closed?
  • Even if they were able to buy them on their way home, when could they have prepared them?
You also quoted Mark 16:1 which I will quote here as well because I have a few questions:
Mark 16:1 "And when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him."

This verse makes it clear that the women named (at least these 3) bought the spices AFTER the Sabbath.
When would they be able to buy the items they needed? The Sabbath would have continued at least until 6 PM. No Jew would be in his place of business before the Sabbath, for they were not to conduct any type of business during that day. The priests sought Jesus life because He healed on the Sabbath. Could you imagine what they might do to a Jew who was in his place of business before the Sabbath was past?

Did these places of business open during the night? Wouldn't that leave them prey for robbers? Why would they do such a thing? How much business could a person do between the hours of 7PM (at the very earliest) and say 9PM? All night stores are a modern phenomenon. When I was a child, it was a big thing if a store (usually a small grocery store) was open at 9PM.
I don't believe that any place of business that dealt with funeral arrangements would have been open after dark. Do you?

I see no reason why Mark 16:1 and Luke 23:56 shouldn't be coupled together to make it clear what had happened. I believe that this is only logical. If we do this, however, we must place a day of business between two Sabbaths. The one an annual Holy Day and the other a weekly Sabbath. But what do you say?

MORE TO COME
John1one

Christian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2003, 01:35:47 AM »

Continued to Asaph,
Now let's turn to what you say concerning the women coming to the tomb on the first day of the week. The Scriptures you quoted in this regard were:

Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulcher, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulcher at the rising of the sun.

Let's look at another to add more color to the story:
John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulcher, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulcher.

Mary Magdalene comes to the tomb EARLY. Early when? Early in the morning or early in the evening? The Greek word is proi (S.4404) and means "early" or "early morning."  Mark 1:35 speaks of Jesus rising in the morning a great while before day to pray, indicating it was still dark when He rose up in the morning. In Mark 13:35 we are told about the watches through the night; "proi" can also indicate the MORNING WATCH being the last before daybreak. The night was divided into four watches, even, midnight, cockcrowing and morning - each lasting three hours. If Mary Magdalene came to the tomb in the morning, it was sometime between 3AM and 6AM which is the last watch of the night, for we are told that she came while it was "still" or "even" dark. Nevertheless, I hope to show that Mary came rather Early on the 1st day of the week, just after sunset.

First we shall assume that all that the Bible records is in the morning of the 1st day of the week. Now notice that when Mary first came to the tomb, she did not see Jesus and thought that His body was stolen (John 1:2). She went to tell the disciples and Peter and John came to investigate the tomb. They left believing Mary's assumption that someone had taken the body of Christ (John 1:3-10). They may have been staying somewhere on Mt Olives or in the Upper Room where they last ate with Jesus.

Mary stayed outside the tomb and it wasn't until after the disciples left her at the tomb that Jesus appeared to her (John 1:11-16). It was still dark since the other women had not yet arrived; for they came at the rising of the sun (Mark 16:2-8) and had no idea that the Jesus' body was no longer there. Continuing in Mark 16:9, we see that the very first person that Jesus appeared to was Mary Magdalene and when she saw Him, immediately she returned to the disciples, this time telling them the good news.

All this, concerning Mary, was done while it was yet dark! How do I know this? I can know this because Jesus is the Wave Sheaf Offering, our Firstfruit that must be received by the Father before we can be harvested for the Kingdom of God. Notice John 20:17 where Jesus told Mary not to touch Him, for He was NOT YET ascended to His Father. This means that the Wave Sheaf was not yet offered at the Temple, which took place at 6AM (sunrise). Later in the morning Jesus permitted the women to hold onto Him (Matthew 28:9-10), making it clear that the Wave Sheaf was already offered to God to be accepted for the people and He had now returned to finish His ministry to us. They too were told to go and tell the disciples.

Returning to Matthew 28:2 - before Mary's first appearance there had been an earthquake and an angel came and removed the stone. The Roman guard was terrified. Yet, Jesus had risen even before this, because the angel only revealed an empty tomb. When did Jesus rise from the dead? He had to have risen before the morning watch (3AM - 6AM). If Mary came in the morning of the first day of the week it was during the morning watch. The stone was already removed and she didn't see the guard. They had fled before she arrived.

Moreover, time was spent going to the tomb, investigating it enough to see that Jesus was no longer there. More time was spent going to tell the disciples. More time was spent while the Peter, John and Mary returned to the tomb. More time was spent while Peter and John investigated the inside of the tomb, talked about it and probably to Mary before leaving her. Then Jesus appeared to Mary and spoke with her, saying to go and tell the disciples. All this was done while it was still dark - before sunrise and the time of the morning sacrifice which would include the Wave Sheaf Offering - the time that Jesus would ascend to the Father. How much time would have to be spent for all this to occur?

All this took time YET, Jesus rose before all this time. The angel opened the tomb before all this was done. The guards left and spoke to the chief priests before all this happened (Matthew 28:11). Do you really think the Roman guard went to see the chief priests sometime before 3AM?

Now look at the Scripture in Luke: Luke 24:10  It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles. 11  And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not. 12  Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulcher; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass.

Mary Magdalene, remember was alone when she saw Jesus, but at least one other group of women saw Jesus a little later. They all told the disciples, but the disciples did not believe, yet Peter ran a SECOND time to view the tomb and went away wondering.

The women did not come together. Some came and told the disciples (Matthew 28:10; Luke 24:10) and some did not (Mark 16:2-8). Some came at sunrise, but Mary while it was still dark.

My point is that I believe that John 20:1 must be understood that Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early on the first day of the week just after dark. Only then does it make sense that the Roman guard went directly to the chief priests. It would have been early evening on the first day of the week (still our Saturday). Only then does all the activity of the disciples make sense. If part of the activity was in the early evening of the first day of the week and part just before and after sunrise, it seems to fit better. This would then pin point the resurrection of Jesus to just before the end of the Sabbath as the Wave Sheaf Offering was being harvested. If this is not done, then the most important event in Christian history was done in the dark, we do not know the time of day that Jesus was resurrected.

MORE TO COME
John1one

Christian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2003, 02:04:18 AM »

Continuted to asaph,
Concerning the third day (POST 16), I understand and admit that the day after tomorrow is the third day from now. BUT let me ask you a question. If I said that I would meet you at a specific place three days and three nights from a specific time on Friday, when would you look for me? Wouldn't Monday be the third day?

If a Jew in the New Testament times actually desired to meet with someone exactly three days and three nights from a specific time, HOW WOULD HE PHRASE IT?

I admit that partial days can be understood to mean "three days" or the "third day", but what if you really did desire to do something in 72 hours, how would you phrase it? AND Would a description like "three days" or "the third day" necessarily confuse the issue?

While I understand how two partial days and one full day can equal "three days" to someone, I do not understand why "three days" or "the third day" confuses the issue if one actually means 72 hours.

Concerning POST 18, your thoughts on Matthew 28:1 regarding "the end of the Sabbath" has really made me think. I am not certain that it can be used with the guard, but I am also not certain that it cannot either. I have never heard that before. I found it very interesting.

However, that aside, we still must consider Mary's coming to the tomb at the end of the Sabbath, because if we use this phrase "as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week" to mean sunrise, how could Mary arrive at the tomb while it was yet dark (John 20:1)? How would all the activity that took place before sunrise take place, if Mary came to the tomb at sunrise? Therefore whether you place the phrase "in the end of the Sabbath" with Matthew 27 or with Matthew 28 it makes no difference with respect to the resurrection. Mary had to have come to the tomb just after dark on the first day of the week (our Saturday evening). She found:
  • the stone cast aside,
  • the tomb empty
  • the guard gone
  • JESUS WAS RISEN!
This is how I see it. What are your thoughts, my friend?

God bless,

John1one

P.S. AS IS MENTIONED ABOVE. I DID NOT NOTICE YOUR LAST POST UNTIL NOW, BUT I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RESPOND BEFORE MONDAY. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND
John1one

Christian

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2003, 02:24:38 AM »

Greetings Allinall,
QUOTE from Post #14:
Perhaps I'm simplistic...but isn't it just wonderful that He died for us, and rose to live in us?  Smiley

No, my friend, you are quite profound! This, indeed, is the most important thing. Knowing this, however, I believe asaph and I can have a little fun as he also has said.

Every Word of God is important. Jesus was even concerned over a "jot" and a "tittle" (Matthew 5:18). There is much to learn from one another, and I have found that it is good to discuss with brothers and sisters and see one's thoughts through the eyes of a friend. Asaph and I are like neighbors talking about our favorite subject - Jesus. We'll end our discussion some time and go home feeling a little better about what we believe. At least this is how it has usually been with me, when I discuss anything in God's Word - even about what three days mean.

Good night and God bless,

John1one
asaph
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2003, 03:38:43 AM »

John1one,

(When did they have time to prepare the spices and ointments since the sun was already setting by the time they laid Jesus in the tomb?
Moreover, where did they get the spices and ointments? It should be clear that they did not bring such things from Galilee.
Certainly by the time that they returned to their homes it was already the Sabbath. Wouldn't the places of business be closed?
Even if they were able to buy them on their way home, when could they have prepared them?)

more quote

(I see no reason why Mark 16:1 and Luke 23:56 shouldn't be coupled together to make it clear what had happened. I believe that this is only logical. If we do this, however, we must place a day of business between two Sabbaths. The one an annual Holy Day and the other a weekly Sabbath. But what do you say?)

You make a good point. To hold to my view I would have to speculate only. The Bible is silent on this. But let me speculate. Perhaps the women had relatives in Jerusalem or close connections with people that had all they needed. Therefore they didn't have to shop at all, but only wait for the sabbath to end. When the Sabbath did end they would have began immediately to prepare them.

Another thing I would like to mention is that, if I am correct,  the 15th of Nisan landed on the 7th day Sabbath, making that day a special Sabbath; you might say a double Sabbath on the same day. A verse that I believe confirms this is John 19:31.

John 19
31   The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

What made it an high day is the fact that the feast of unleavened bread began on that day. The passover was the day before on the 14th of Nisan. Then there's the 16th of Nisan, the day of Firstfruits, a clear type of the resurrection day, which occurs after a sabbath day, but is not itself a Sabbath day!

asaph
asaph
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2003, 04:08:02 AM »

John1one

(My point is that I believe that John 20:1 must be understood that Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early on the first day of the week just after dark. Only then does it make sense that the Roman guard went directly to the chief priests. It would have been early evening on the first day of the week (still our Saturday). Only then does all the activity of the disciples make sense. If part of the activity was in the early evening of the first day of the week and part just before and after sunrise, it seems to fit better. This would then pin point the resurrection of Jesus to just before the end of the Sabbath as the Wave Sheaf Offering was being harvested. If this is not done, then the most important event in Christian history was done in the dark, we do not know the time of day that Jesus was resurrected.)

Wouldn't the Wave Sheaf Offering have to be harvested after the Sabbath to avoid breaking the Sabbath?

Saturday then, if it is the resurrection day, should also be the day of Firstfruits. But this violates what is set forth in Lev. 23:11 which states that Firstfruits occurs the day after the sabbath, meaning the day after the 15 Nisan sabbath (1st day of Unleavened Bread, v.7). So, Firstfruits could not have been on Saturday, since it would clearly not be after a sabbath. So Saturday is clearly disqualified from being Firstfruits.

Let me quote Lev. 23:11

11   And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

Does not the sheaf waved represent Christ in resurrection? And is it not waved the day after the sabbath? You are right when you say we do not know the time of His rising, but it has to be after the Sabbath. I do not have a problem with it being done in the dark, so I am not sure what your point was on that issue.

asaph

twobombs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2003, 04:10:27 AM »

Christ was crucified at the feast of passover, and rose from the dead on the third day; a sabbathday. Exactly the same day that the people of Israel left Egypt. Therefore fullfilling the pascha-feast. Ya'll do the math....

The next feast that was to be fullfilled was the Pentecost; or early harvest. This is descibed in Acts.

The next feast that is to be fullfilled is the Rosh Hashanah; the feast of trumpets. All feasts are fullfilled on the exact date they where ordained by God unto moses.

After all; I'm Mr. date-setter here Smiley

[ Tempus Fugit Smiley ]
asaph
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2003, 04:27:00 AM »

John1one

However, that aside, we still must consider Mary's coming to the tomb at the end of the Sabbath, because if we use this phrase "as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week" to mean sunrise, how could Mary arrive at the tomb while it was yet dark (John 20:1)? How would all the activity that took place before sunrise take place, if Mary came to the tomb at sunrise? Therefore whether you place the phrase "in the end of the Sabbath" with Matthew 27 or with Matthew 28 it makes no difference with respect to the resurrection. Mary had to have come to the tomb just after dark on the first day of the week (our Saturday evening). She found:

the stone cast aside,
the tomb empty
the guard gone
JESUS WAS RISEN!

"As it began to dawn" Does not have to mean the sun was peeking over the hill. I do not think this is meant to be a precise phrase indicating an exact moment. It could mean any time prior to sunrise yet with time enough allowed for Jesus to rise after the Sabbath. In order to be the antitype of the wave sheaf offering, Jesus would have to rise on Sunday, the Day after the Sabbath. I was not there so I can't fill in the details. Only God Knows.

asaph
asaph
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2003, 12:40:24 PM »

John1one
I have an afterthought about John 20:1.

John 20
1   The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

It's about the phrase, "when it was yet dark." It seems to me that this implies there was darkness for some time before she came to the sepulchre and that sunrise was approaching. Otherwise why would John say that? It would have made more sense to say, "when darkness fell" or "when evening came", if he was refering to the moments just after sunset on Saturday.

asaph

asaph
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2003, 01:24:01 PM »

Proposed Wednesday Crucifixion

Wednesday 14 Nisan             Thursday 15 Nisan
Night-day                            Night-Day

Lord's Passover                    1st Day of Festival
                                         of Unleavened
                                               Bread
                                         A Sabbath Day
------------------------------------------------------------
Friday 16 Nisan                     Saturday 17 Nisan                  
Night-Day                            Night-Day

Women bring                        7th Day Sabbath
spices to anoint
   the body
Day of Firstfruits??         Day of Firstfruits??
                                             Resurrection
Rested in Tomb                        late in the day
                                             before sunset
------------------------------------------------------------
                           Sunday 18 Nisan
                           Night- Day

The Third Day??
                              (Luke 24:21)

Day of Firstfruits??

Tomb discovered
                              to be empty
                                at dawn (there abouts)

Now remember that 14 nisan is Passover, 15 Nisan is old corn and unleavened bread eaten, and 16 Nisan is when Manna ceased and Fruits of Canaan eaten.

The resurrection takes place at some time after the beginning of the day (at sunset) but before the morning sunrise. Just exactly when after sunset the resurrection took place is uncertain, but that it happened on what we today call Sunday is really quite clear as Luke 24 showed, but here is more evidence-

1 Cor 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the Firstfruits of them that slept.

So just how does this verse relate?-

Lev 23:10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the Firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest:
Lev 23:11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

The wave sheaf represented the first fruits of the resurrection, the Messiah (1 Cor 15:20), and the day it was presented was the day AFTER the Sabbath as Lev 23:11 just proved. (The Sabbath meant here is 15 Nisan/Abib, the first day of Unleavened Bread [Lev 23:6-7]). Clearly then, since the first day of Unleavened Bread coincided with the Seventh day Sabbath that year, the resurrection of Jesus (the first fruits), happened on 16 Nisan/Abib the day AFTER the double or high Sabbath, on the first day of the week, Sunday. (Because it represents the resurrection, the day of Firstfruits must clearly occur on the third day after the crucifixion [14 Nisan], to fulfill scripture.)

For even more evidence that the commonly accepted chronology is correct, one must really understand the principle of type and antitype. The sequence of days to be observed for Passover was set down in scripture as the "type". This sequence was symbolic of what was to come when the crucifixion of the Lamb of God actually took place, which is the "antitype". So the type and antitype must match precisely:

14 Nisan, the Lord's Passover is the type of the crucifixion day.
15 Nisan, 1st day of Unleavened Bread, is the second day.
16 Nisan, Firstfruits, is a type of the resurrection, and the third day.
An example of Israel keeping this precise scenario is found in the book of Joshua:

Josh 5:10 And the children of Israel encamped in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourteenth day of the month at even in the plains of Jericho.
Josh 5:11 And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day.
Josh 5:12 And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.

The chart above shows that a wednesday crucifixion does not fit the type revealed in the OT.

asaph

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the