Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:40:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Effectual Calling—Reluctant Slave
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Effectual Calling—Reluctant Slave  (Read 766 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »

by Bob Flynn

As I gaze at the gorgeous winter scene that blankets the Rocky Mountains, my heart much appreciates this absolutely wondrous portrait that God has painted in creation.  But the beauty that resides in this picturesque mountain setting is only a small part of the scene.  God not only paints mountains into His portrait, He also paints visions into the hearts of His children.  I cannot testify to the canvass that, by His hand, graces your heart but only the one etched deep within my own.  I wish I could say that it was created over a span of years and that I was allowed to admire each brush stroke, contrast and hue—but it was created in an instant.  I was struck to the ground and lay  paralyzed and unable to move.  I wept uncontrollably tears that seemed as if they would never end as the Holy Spirit allowed me to experience His grief over sin (mine included) and the lost souls serving in our military.  God, in His tender mercies, had placed His call upon my heart in a way I would not soon forget.

I believe that God has called each one of us to be His missionaries.  All that remains is our response to His calling.  I remember that Moses was less than enthusiastic when He received his call from God.  In Exodus 3:10 God called Moses to lead Israel out of Egypt.  Moses’ reply, in verse 11, can be paraphrased as I HAVE NO ABILITY! (sound familiar?).  God told Moses that He would be with him (verse 12).  But you say, “that's O.K. for Moses, what about me?” Philippians 4:13 says “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

That would have been enough for me, but not for Ol’ Moses.  His retort, in verse 13, was basically that I HAVE NO MESSAGE.  But God gave him one.  We too have the message that “...Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures…” (I Corinthians 15:3-4).

Now right after this, Moses rushed off to do God's bidding, right?  Wrong-o!!!  He complained, I HAVE NO AUTHORITY (Exodus 4:1).  So God reminded Moses that He was his authority.  Jesus told us, “All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” (Matthew 28:18-20)

Now wouldn’t you figure a big league player like Moses would be willing to quit after three strikes?  In Exodus 4:10 he claims NOT TO HAVE ANY ELOQUENCE.  The Apostle Paul shares with us in I Corinthians 2:1-5, “And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.  For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.  And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of man, but in the power of God.”

You would think at this point that Moses would be all squared away.  But, like me, Moses tended to be a little thick between the ears (the texture of case-hardened peanut butter comes to mind).  Finally he looked straight at the burning bush and fired off his last big line, admitting that he had NO INCLINATION to do what God had asked (Exodus 4:13).  I believe I would have been looking for the big mushroom cloud after that one.  But God was gracious.  He worked with Moses and allowed Aaron to accompany him and help with his mission.  God says to us in Philippians 2:13, “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.”  You see dear brothers and sisters, in Christ, we are without excuse.  “We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.” (II Corinthians 6:1)

The fact that I share my faith means nothing, for the folks that come by my front door each week with a small magazine share theirs with fervor.  The fact that I DO NOT share my faith says everything!

I pray that all of us in CMF would open up the canvas of our hearts so that God may paint a most wondrous portrait there; worthy of the sacrifices made for us by His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.  Let us not drag our feet like Moses, but go for the Gold like Paul.  We can see that God has provided in every way for our journey.  Let us be willing to go forth and spread the good news.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the