Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Beware Ready-Made Role Models
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beware Ready-Made Role Models  (Read 953 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2006, 06:23:14 AM »

Beware Ready-Made Role Models

By Brad Locke
March 3, 2006

(AgapePress) - During the Major League All-Star media day in Detroit last July, I was jockeying for position around Albert Pujols' crowded table, trying to squeeze in some semi-intelligent questions. I intended to ask him about his Christian faith, but I only managed to slip in a question about the steroids issue.

Even if I'd gotten to talk with Pujols at length about his faith, I don't know how much he would have told me. I know he began following Christ just before the start of his spectacular major league career, but I've never heard him speak out about it. (It must be noted, however, that he often points heavenward after a big play.)

I can only speculate about why, but it could be one of two things: his naturally reserved nature; or he realizes that he's just like any other young Christian and wants to be sure he's been well-discipled before becoming a disciple (publicly, that is) himself. Who knows, perhaps in private Pujols is talking his teammates' ears off about Jesus.

Whatever the reason, I wouldn't be too concerned by Pujols' public reserve regarding his spiritual life (and I'm certainly not condemning him in any way). Too often Christians treat born-again celebrities as ready-made role models, expecting them to be as proficient in their theology as they are in their careers. Unfortunately, many of these celebrities seem to buy into this line of thinking, which is understandable. Athletes, movie stars and the like are very self-motivated, driven to make a difference based on what they believe. Couple that with the boundless enthusiasm of a new believer, and you have someone who will wind up in over their heads spiritually.

Some new Christians are able to offer a mature perspective, but they are a rare breed. Most would be wise to patiently grow in wisdom, allowing the old self to die away. This should not keep them from living out their faith or even giving their testimony, which I would like to hear Pujols do. If nothing else, he could tell how he came to Christ and what he's learned so far.

In the near future, I certainly hope Pujols becomes more outspoken, a la Kurt Warner. Not because he'll become a great theologian -- though he could -- but because prominent people have an opportunity to make a wider impact than us obscure folk. (Then again, God has used many unremarkable people to accomplish mighty things.) People will listen to him, and he may indeed become a very powerful witness to this lost world, as well as a great encouragement to his fellow Christians.

It should be pointed out that many celebrities also excel in other areas; they aren't as one-dimensional as we (myself especially included) make them out to be. That's because fame is traditionally achieved through much hard work and sacrifice, and that approach works in any pursuit. Plus, many athletes are multi-talented (it seems that's the case with most highly successful people). Retired athletes often achieve success in second careers, be it acting, broadcasting, business or humanitarianism.

What we must keep in mind is that regardless of a person's level of fame and spiritual maturity, all in Christ are equal. The world upholds a caste system in all realms -- financial, athletic, philosophical, educational, etc. -- and finds it necessary to lift up the most "enlightened" -- or at least charismatic -- to nearly god-like positions. Thankfully, God doesn't work that way. We have our spiritual leaders, to be sure -- we need them here on Earth to helps us maintain a faithful walk -- but we should not consider them superior.

Only God is superior. And He can use any instrument, great or small, to accomplish His ends.

Beware Ready-Made Role Models

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the