Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:25:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  GOD don't want you to have TATTOO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOD don't want you to have TATTOO  (Read 15493 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 11:08:23 AM »

God loves all and want us all to repent of our sins and acept Him as our Lord and Savior. As the Word says in part 'whoseoever believeth in Him', now that means anyone regardles of wether they are tattooed, blind, lame, deaf, body pierced, an ex-con, a prisoner, 'WHOSOEVER'. But once a person has received Jesus as his Lord and Savior and his relationship with God grows, and his knowledge of the Word and his Wisdom increases, he will realize that God does not want anyone to tattoo their bodies, but that is after you come to know God, not before. God will not turn anyone down because they had a tattoo. now if a Christian gets tattooed after he is reborn, and is repentant, God is merciful and quick to forgive.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 11:28:53 AM »

God loves all and want us all to repent of our sins and acept Him as our Lord and Savior. . . . . God will not turn anyone down because they had a tattoo. now if a Christian gets tattooed after he is reborn, and is repentant, God is merciful and quick to forgive.

Sister Maria,

As usual, you are wise and insightful.... Our God is merciful and graceful.  He wants our HEARTS ~ not our flesh.... HALLELUJAH!  It's our character that's changed by the love of God.  Even though I'll never tattoo my body (ouch!) I'll never look at a someone as a heathen just because they have.  I said earlier that I know several beautiful Christians that have tattoos ~ besides, there are some that are "marked" in ways we can't see! That's who we need to pray for! JMHO

Blessings ~

=^..^=

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 01:23:13 PM »

Amen Sister, did you know that Jesse Duplantis played with a rock metal band back in the day? He played with Steel Butterfly, and the wrestler Sting, who has tattoos is also a born-again Christian, so is Chuck Norris, there are many many wonderful Christians who have had a tremendous change in their lives when they received Jesus as their Lord, and they are no less loved than anyone of us. There are some beautiful Christians male and female at my church that were also tattooed, and they are such a wonderful example of what Christians should be they are loving, caring people just like anyone else who love the Lord, and He loves them just as they are. None of us are perfect, if we were than we why would God have sent His only begotten Son to save us?

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Mockingbird

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 11:00:29 AM »

now if a Christian gets tattooed after he is reborn, and is repentant, God is merciful and quick to forgive.

Um, I'm still not finding scriptural support that tattoos are sinful (unless, of course the tatoo happens to be of a naked lady or an idol, or something like that).   

Don't get me wrong; I don't have tattoos, either, nor do I have any plans on getting tattooed, I just think we need to stick to truth. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 11:14:53 AM »

The truth is that our bodies are made in the likeness of God. We are the temple of God. Now the question to answer is "Would God want His handy work messed with and His temples decorated in such a manner?"

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Mockingbird

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 10:43:48 PM »

The truth is that our bodies are made in the likeness of God. We are the temple of God. Now the question to answer is "Would God want His handy work messed with and His temples decorated in such a manner?"

Erm, when it says man was made in God's image and likeness, does that mean physical image and likeness? 

Once again, I don't find the scripture to support that.  I do, however, find support that likeness is referring to righteous and holiness:  "And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Ephesians 4:24

There is another reference to knowledge in Colossians 3:5-10:  "And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him"

Also, when we are told we will be conformed to the likeness of Jesus in Romans 8:29, is that referring to physical likeness?

If there is scripture that shows I am misinterpreting these passages, please let me know. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 11:18:55 PM »

In the Hebrew language the word tselem means image as used in Gen 1:26. The word means  resemblance and is used frequently in describing a figurine or idol that is made in the image of something else. In other words a physical likeness of something.

Eph 4:24 is talking about being born again, not the original creation of man which is what Gen 1:26 is referring to. Gen 1:26 is speaking of the physical creation of man. Two separate things.

Again Rom 8:29 is not speaking of the original creation (the flesh ) of man. The Greek word in this verse, eikōn, can be used for either a physical or figurative meaning.

So there is a big difference here. We are physically in God's image. When we are born again we are made into the righteous image of God.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 11:20:56 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 09:12:14 AM »

Erm, when it says man was made in God's image and likeness, does that mean physical image and likeness? 

Once again, I don't find the scripture to support that.  I do, however, find support that likeness is referring to righteous and holiness:  "And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Ephesians 4:24

There is another reference to knowledge in Colossians 3:5-10:  "And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him"

Also, when we are told we will be conformed to the likeness of Jesus in Romans 8:29, is that referring to physical likeness?

If there is scripture that shows I am misinterpreting these passages, please let me know. 

Mockingbird, of all of God's creation the Bible only speaks of man being made "after the image and likeness of God", man is the only one of all God's creation that is capable of feeling love, along with all other emotions, speaking, making choices, having a conscience, thinking and even the 5 senses. In this respect we are made in God's own image and likeness, we are also tri-part meaning (speaking in the first person, but applies to all humans) I am a spirit, I possess a soul, and I live in a body. God made us that way 'spirit', 'soul', 'body'. God is Triune God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost. There are many wonderful books that can explain to you how God made man in His image. But the best book to learn from of course is the Bible. All ther books are tools to help you understand. I will do a little reseach and see if I can get a title of a book that could help you in that area.
As for tatoos, the Bible calls us saints, we are holy, we have been made holy, because we are God's children and He is a Holy God, we have been set aside, we are sacred that is what the word set aside means. God wants us to treat our earthly bodies, as His Temple.

Mockingbird

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 11:14:44 AM »

First of all, this is the entire, cut and pasted definition of tselem: 
From an unused root meaning to shade; a phantom, that is, (figuratively) illusion, resemblance; hence a representative figure, especially an idol:—image, vain shew.

Take special note of the word figuratively.  Also, the word idol does not denote physical likeness, merely representation or symbol.

Second, Gen 1:26 is referring to both the physical and the spiritual creation of man, correct? 

Third, when we are born again, wouldn't we be a lot like Adam and Eve before they ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil? 

Fourth, when we go to heaven, we leave our bodies behind to decay and rot. 

Now, upon further study, I will concede man was also made in the physical image of God.  The word likeness: 
From H1819; resemblance; concretely model, shape; adverbially like:—fashion, like (-ness, as), manner, similitude.

However, is it our physical body that is the temple, or is it the spiritual?  Is it the physical body that should be free from impurities, or the spiritual? 

"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out the body?  But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these things make a man unclean.  For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.  These are what make a man unclean; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him unclean."  Matthew 15:17-20

Does a tattoo make a man unclean?  I realize a tattoo is permantent while food is temporary, but so is the body temporary and the spirit eternal.  Does a tattoo dishonor God, or is it evil thoughts that dishonor God?  There was the question, "Would God want His handy work messed with and His temples decorated in such a manner?"  Is it the tattoos that decorate the temple, or is it the evil thoughts? 

I guess the question I'm asking, does a tattoo in itself cause us to stumble?
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 12:08:16 PM »

Mockingbird, many Scriptures have been posted to help you understand and many views have been given.

I guess the question I'm asking, does a tattoo in itself cause us to stumble?

So I guess the answer to your question quoted above in my own opinion is only if you let it

TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 03:08:40 PM »

I happen to agree with my Sister Maria ~ a tattoo is and what you make of it..... In my humble opinion, a tattoo of Christ's image or "I love Jesus" is a positive message; whereby if one has (the word that rhymes with 'truck') tattooed for the world to see is not sending a positive message...... it's all in the attitude.  Just like messages imblazoned on a tee-shirt ~ it's the message that people read, it's your attitude they see and your character that is revealed.

JMHO  Wink

Blessings~

TalkerCat

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 03:23:54 PM »

Another thing that we need to take into consideration on this as Christians.

1Co 8:9  But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

Mockingbird

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 10:27:28 AM »

Another thing that we need to take into consideration on this as Christians.
1Co 8:9  But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

That is a good point. 
Bronzesnake
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 02:59:23 AM »

If you read the tattoo scriptures carefully, they seem to be relating to the worship of false gods and witchcraft.
People in the far east and other secluded places, to this day still place ritual/spiritual tattoos on their bodies. There are many in places such as Hawaii the south Pacific also doing this.
That makes the distinction in my understanding from a person doing that, and a person who has a heart with his wife and children's name on it for example.

John
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 08:38:35 AM »

C'mon people.  You must have certainly learned by now that there are people who try to make themselves feel superior by putting other people down.  Usually they have sins they are having trouble dealing with so they will point out other "sins" to try to get their attention off their own.
Is this speaking of Christians or folks still in their sins out there in the world?

ollie

Support your local Christian.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the