Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Elizabeth Elliot Devotions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elizabeth Elliot Devotions  (Read 153237 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2006, 08:41:06 AM »

Author: Elisabeth Elliot
Source: A Lamp For My Feet
Scripture: Exodus 16:6
The Path of Lonliness

Who is in Charge?

The people of Israel complained loudly against Moses for having brought them out into a wilderness where there was nothing to their liking. "Better to have died in Egypt!" they said.

"It was the Lord who brought you out," Moses told them(Ex 16:6-8). "It is against the Lord that you bring your complaints, and not against us."

When we are angry or offended, let us be careful to note where our real complaint lies. This person who insults me at the office or on the bus, this husband who rides roughshod over my feelings, this insensitive individual who does not understand or appreciate me--is he not one whom God has put in my life for my good? Who, after all, is really in charge?

Let us beware of rebellion against the Lord. Circumstances are of his choosing, because He wants to bless us, to lead us (even through the wilderness) out of Egypt, that is, out of ourselves. Settle the complaint with God, and it will settle other things. Be offended with God, and you will be offended with everyone who crosses your path.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:42:27 AM »

Scripture: Numbers 16:10
The Path of Lonliness

Hatred of Authority

The rebellion of Korah took place because he and 250 "leaders of the congregation, well-known men," could not stand the distinctions God had made in the organization of his people Israel. Moses and Aaron were singled out to exercise authority; Korah and the others protested that all were holy, that no one should have prominence. Moses pointed out that others had been separated, brought near to the Lord, given service in the tabernacle, appointed to minister to the congregation. "And would you seek the priesthood also?" (Nm 16:10 NEB). Their so doing was diagnosed by Moses as rebellion against God. Hatred against authority, even any earthly authority appointed by God, is rebellion against God.

Lord, teach me to take gladly the place You have assigned to me and to submit humbly to those over me, that I may do my part to keep the smooth and proper functioning of the body of Christ.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 04:22:57 PM »

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:11-11

He Will if You Will

All through the Bible we see the interworking of the will of God and the will of man. It was God, Creator and Sovereign, who conceived freedom for man--the glorious likeness to Himself in "the dignity of causality," to use Pascal's phrase. All things are so arranged in God's universe that He may work his will through man's exercising his gift of a free will. It is a gift, and one which, while it confers staggering power on us humans, also limits the Almighty. Here lies the tremendous mystery--that God should be all-powerful, yet refuse to coerce. He summons us to cooperation. We are honored in being given the opportunity to participate in his good deeds. Remember how He asked for help in performing his miracles: Fill the waterpots, stretch out your hand, distribute the loaves.

This little word of Paul's to the Corinthian Christians contains the whole kernel of that truth: "He will deliver us if you will cooperate by praying" (2 Cor 1:11).

Is there something you are hoping for today? Perhaps there is a condition you must fulfill before the Lord can grant it. He will if you will.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 06:50:08 AM »

Scripture: Matthew 13:58

He Could Not Because They Would Not

The other side of the coin of this amazing matter of cooperation with God is that there are things even God cannot do. He cannot because He has chosen to assign certain powers to his people. If they will not, his hands are tied.

"He did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief"(Mt 13:58 AV).

"How often would I have gathered you . . . but ye would not"(Mt 23:37 AV}.

Some would argue that although it is proper to say that God will not and does not, it is not proper to say that He cannot. I would reply that given the terms of his relationship to us, the people He loved and called, He cannot force us, for He cannot deny Himself. To force us would be to deprive us of the freedom He granted when He made us, and thus to deny Himself.

Yet we pray, "Make me to do Thy will!" And so we should, for in that prayer we express our will to cooperate with Him.

"Our wills are ours to make them Thine." (Tennyson)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 07:17:40 AM »

Scripture:

One of the Mysteries of Our Humanity

Have you ever thought much about the fact that we, created by God for his own pleasure and glory, are permitted by the Creator Himself to deny Him? Even though we are totally dependent on Him for our next breath, with that breath we may declare that He does not exist or that we refuse to do what He wants us to do. We live by the life He gives us, moment by moment. We enjoy rain, sunshine, the growth of crops and flowers, sensations, delights, satisfactions of many kinds. Yet we often act as though we were sufficient in ourselves, needing no interference from Him.

I can, by the power mysteriously granted me by my Creator and Redeemer, declare myself master of my fate, captain of my soul, and say, "My will be done." That the Lord should expose Himself to this effrontery in a million forms, for millions of days and nights, is the mystery of love and grace. Still He draws us with cords of love, calls us to come, waits (amazing grace) for us to bow and say, "My Lord and my God!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 07:18:57 AM »

Scripture: Hebrews 11:1 Psalm 71:1

Realities

"Faith...makes us certain of realities we do not see (Heb 11:1 NEB).

What realities can we be sure of? There is a popular notion about prayer which assumes that the thing asked for ought to be the object of faith--"Lord, give me this or that," wherefore "this" and "that" become the realities. No. The Bible states the absolutes that we can be certain of: the character of God, his love, his will that we be conformed to his Son's likeness, his sovereign control of all the universe. When faith latches on to those realities which we do not see with our eyes, it can never be confounded. If it makes the thing asked for its object, faith itself will dissolve if the Lord's answer is no, or not yet, or wait.

"In Thee, O Lord, do I put my trust. Let me never be put to confusion" (Ps 71:1 AV).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 03:39:05 PM »

Scripture:

No Sand

Around the turn of the century an expression was used which today would be grit, guts, or gumption. A man was said to have "sand."

An unbeliever named Miller approached Mr. Frank Sandford with the scornful remark, "Jesus didn't have any sand."

"Didn't he? Well, He stretched out one hand and said to his captors, 'Put a spike in there for Miller!' Then he stretched out the other hand and said, 'Put another spike in there for Miller!' I don't know if you have enough sand to follow Him, but don't say He didn't have any sand."

Lord, give me sand enough to take up the cross daily and follow You. Help me to take lightly this world's judgments and to take seriously your call and your cross.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 05:50:37 AM »

Scripture: Hebrews 9:14

His Blood and My Conscience

In the conscience of all of us sinners there is deadness from our former ways. This has its effect on our present behavior, in ways we little realize, and hinders our fitness for service to God. But there is a remedy: the power of the blood of Christ.

"His blood will cleanse our conscience from the deadness of our former ways and fit us for the service of the living God" (Heb 9:14 NEB).

This morning I was troubled about what seemed to be a blockage deep down where I could not get at it. I was glad it was not too deep or too strong for the power of the blood to reach and cleanse. Satan would try to convince me daily that I am full of "hang-ups" which unfit me for God's service. The blood of Christ is my answer to his challenge. It will never lose its power.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 01:29:11 PM »

Scripture: Hebrews 10:10

What Fits Us For Service

Is there any Christian who does not long for some special experience, vision, or feeling of the presence of God? This morning it seemed to me that unless I could claim such I was merely going through motions of prayer, meditation, reading; that the book I am writing on discipline will prove to be nothing but vanity and a striving after wind. The Lord brought yesterday's word to mind again with this emphasis: it is not any experience, no matter how exciting, not any vision, however vivid and dazzling, not any feeling, be it ever so deep that fits me for service. It is the power of the blood of Christ. I am "made holy by the single unique offering of the body of Jesus Christ" (Heb 10:10), and by his blood "fit for the service of the living God." My spiritual numbness cannot cancel that--the blood will never lose its power.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 01:31:03 PM »

Scripture: Revelation 17:14

All Things Serve Thee

The Lord's decrees (his promises, his plans, his every word) stand fast, no matter what news we receive. A child has run away. A mother has cancer. A business has failed. The events in our private lives and the great catastrophes in the world do not budge the solid ground on which the Christian takes his position. How can this be? Are there not conditions which harm and hinder and destroy? Not in the end. There is nothing, on earth or in hell or heaven, in time or in eternity, which can alter in any final sense what God has promised--because all things serve Him.

A word in the Book of the Revelation shows this truth most gloriously. Ten great kings will join their powers with an enormously powerful beast to wage war on the Lamb. God does not intervene to prevent that war.

"But the Lamb will defeat them, for He is Lord of Lords and King of Kings, and his victory will be shared by His followers, called and chosen and faithful" (Rv 17:14 NEB).

All things serve Him. That is, everything will at last be seen to be under his control, contributing to his eternal purposes--and (here is another marvel) the Lamb's victory will be ours as well.

Lord, who has called and chosen us--make us faithful. Enable us to keep our eyes on the final victory.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 06:14:28 AM »

Scripture: Hebrews 13:8-9

Outlandish Teachings

There is no end to the new methods offered for success, self-realization, fulfillment, understanding, and happiness. Seminars, conferences, and workshops abound. Go to so-and-so, get counseling, a new exercise program, a new diet, another degree, job, husband, house, color scheme. If it's new, it's good.

Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. "Do not be swept off your course by all sorts of outlandish teachings; it is good that our souls should gain their strength from the grace of God" (Heb 13:8,9 NEB).

Fixity of heart is a rare thing and probably always has been. It is easier to follow after the world in its futile pursuit of happiness, simply because we are like sheep and we go astray. To stay quietly by the Shepherd seems harder, but in the end we find there (and nowhere else) our soul's real strength.

Pascal wrote, "I have discovered that all the unhappiness of man arises from one single fact, that they cannot stay quietly in their own chamber." Try spending a half hour in a room alone, without music, without television, without even reading. Can you find any peace or happiness there? If not, perhaps you have not begun to learn what is truly important.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 03:33:40 AM »

Scripture:

What Was The Question?

"Christ is the Answer" has been a wall motto, and, more recently, a bumper sticker. Somebody added, in small print, "What was the question?"

In the final analysis, it does not matter what question we are asking. All questions come under one of three headings:

1. Way--we need guidance

2. Truth--we need a norm

3. Life--we need sustenance.

Jesus said, "I am" all of these things. Let us bring everything that baffles us into his presence, holding it up before Him by faith. In that Light, the look of things will slowly begin to change, and as we humble ourselves to receive the true answer, our eyes will be opened. We learn to know Christ, then, as we walk in his way, obey his truth, and live his life. He Himself, a living, loving Person, is our answer.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 02:37:18 AM »

Scripture: Hebrews 12:2

From Start To Finish

The great witnesses to faith in the eleventh chapter of Hebrews, beginning with Abel, who offered a sacrifice by faith, down to those nameless others whose stories are not success stories by any stretch of the imagination, did not know Jesus, God's full revelation of Himself. Yet they believed. Yet they were strong in faith. It was, although they were ignorant of it, Christ on whom their faith rested. Faith depends on Him "from start to finish" (Heb 12:2 NEB). The whole saga of human faith from Abel to us in the twentieth century depends on Him who endured a cross. The whole story of any one individual's faith also depends on Him from start to finish. There is no other ground anywhere. He is the Rock.

I don't know why I keep forgetting this and assuming that somewhere along the line (or the racetrack) I am supposed to manage it by myself. It is Jesus at the start, Jesus every foot of the track, Jesus at the finish. Trust Him. Trust Him. Trust Him.

So, through life, death, through sorrow and through sinning.

Christ shall suffice me, for He hath sufficed.

Christ is the End, for Christ was the Beginning--

Christ the Beginning, for the End is Christ.

(F.W.H. Meyer, St. Paul)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 02:38:56 AM »

Scripture:

The Face of Jesus

The face of Jesus:

marred more than any man--
      spit upon,
      slapped,
      thorn-pierced,
      bloodied,
      sweating,
      the beard plucked,
      twisted in pain--

For my salvation.

A glorious face, now.

Let its light shine on me, O Light of Life.

Let Your radiance fall on me, Sun and Savior,

Lighten my darkness.

Then grant me this by Your grace:

That I, in turn, may give

"The light of the knowledge of the glory of God" (2 Cor 4:6 AV)

As I see it in the face of Jesus Christ.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 06:18:21 AM »

Scripture: Genesis 39:21

The Lord Keeps Faith

When trouble comes, we are tempted to think we are being punished or that God has forgotten us. He never forgets. He keeps faith--that is He keeps his promises, is faithful to his word, even when it appears that we are forsaken.

Joseph suffered one disaster after another. When, because of the vicious lie of a rejected woman he was put in prison, the Lord was with him there, keeping faith (Gn 39:21). Perhaps Joseph wondered why Almighty God could not have prevented the woman's triumphing over him--or prevented his ever having been victimized by his brothers in the first place and thus being at this woman's mercy. But we are given the complete picture which Joseph did not have while he was in prison--the amazing purpose of God for his chosen people, Jacob and all his family, who because of Joseph's long-drawn-out sufferings, were saved. God keeps faith--He has a perfect blueprint, and He is building according to its specifications.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the