Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:10:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356310 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: December 03, 2017, 12:39:17 PM »

http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

Sentenced to Hell by this one Scripture!

(John Flavel)

"I will place My Spirit within you, and cause you to follow My statutes and carefully observe My ordinances." Ezekiel 36:27

The design and end of God in the infusion of the Spirit of grace, is practical holiness and obedience. The indwelling Spirit of God . . .
  elevates their minds,
  sets their affections upon heavenly things,
  purges their hearts from earthly dross, and
  fits them for a life of holiness and obedience.

None are more forward to claim the privileges of religion--than those who reject the duties of it. Multitudes hope to be saved by Christ--who yet refuse to be governed by Him. But such hopes have no Scripture warrant to support them--yes, they have many Scripture testimonies against them!

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10

O how many thousand vain hopes are laid in the dust, and how many thousands of souls are sentenced to Hell by this one Scripture!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: December 06, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »

He goes to the forest--and chooses the most suitable 'rod' to correct us!

(James Smith, "Divine Chastening" 1859)

"You shall also consider in your heart, that, as a man chastens his son--so the Lord your God chastens you." Deuteronomy 8:5

Our heavenly Father loves us just as much when He frowns--as when He smiles upon us.

The Lord Himself chastens His children. He never allows His children to be flogged by others, nor keeps a drill-sergeant to do it. He Himself chastens every redeemed child.

He selects the instrument. He does not take up a rod that may 'by chance' lay before Him–just because it comes first to hand. No, no! He goes to the forest--and chooses the most suitable 'rod' to correct us! Proud man always imagines that God . . .
  has chosen the wrong rod,
  or strikes on the wrong place,
  or corrects at the wrong time.
But depend upon it--it is all right. If He . . .
  strikes the body,
  or seizes the property,
  or removes the family member,
  or alienates the friend,
  or afflicts the soul--
it is all done in infinite wisdom, and perfect love.

He numbers His strokes. Not one too many, nor one too few--but just the right number is appointed. LESS would not humble the proud heart, bend the stubborn will, or turn back the wandering feet. MORE would unduly depress, give Satan an occasion against us, or harden our hearts. Believer, you shall never have one more stroke than your Heavenly Father has appointed--nor will He appoint one more than is necessary!

He marks the effects of the rod. He watches to see the effect produced by every stroke. If we fall at His feet, humble ourselves before Him, confess our sins, and appeal to His mercy--we take hold of His strength, and the chastisement soon ceases.

Sanctified correction always . . .
  embitters sin,
  brings us nearer to God,
  softens our spirits,
  humbles our hearts,
  produces penitence, and
  leads us to admire the wisdom and love of God.

Chastisement is designed to improve our characters--these, at best, are very imperfect. In order therefore to make us more watchful, prayerful, diligent, and devout--our heavenly Father uses the rod. And, if at any time we are left long without it, we become . . .
  lukewarm,
  careless,
  indifferent,
  conformed to the world,
  and carnally minded.

When the tear of penitence is seen in our eye--the rod soon drops from His hand! Or, if the discipline is continued--then such comfort, peace, and meekness flow into the soul--that we call it sweet affliction, and bless His dear name for it.

Nor can we then pray for the removal of the rod--but only for its deeper sanctification. We creep close to His feet, look up in His paternal face, catch His loving eye--and almost swoon with pleasure, humility, and love!

He makes  the rod beneficial to us. He corrects us, not for His pleasure--but for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. He uses the rod . . .
  to convince us of our folly,
  to keep us sensible of His authority,
  to make us smart for our inconsistencies,
  to bring us to repentance, and
  to make us cautious, tender, and humble.

Whatever end He fixes upon--is beneficial; and whatever end He fixes upon--He will bring to pass. So that we may well say, even when smarting under the rod, "We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

He loves us too well, to give us any unnecessary pain--and He is too wise to allow our follies to go uncorrected.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: December 06, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »

The devil's old delusion!

(J.C. Ryle, "The Gospel of Luke" 1858.)

"John said to the crowds coming out to be baptized by him: You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire!" Luke 3

We have, in these verses, a specimen of John the Baptist's ministry. It is a portion of Scripture which should always be especially interesting to a Christian mind.

We should first mark the holy boldness with which John addresses the multitudes who came to his baptism. He speaks to them as a "brood of vipers!" He saw the rottenness and hypocrisy of the profession which the crowd around him were making, and uses language descriptive of their case.
His head was not turned by popularity.
He did not care who was offended by his words.
The spiritual disease of those before him was desperate, and of long standing--and he knew that desperate diseases need strong remedies!

Well would it be for the Church of Christ, if it possessed more plain speaking ministers in our days--like John the Baptist.

A morbid dislike to strong language;
an excessive fear of giving offence;
a constant flinching from directness and plain speaking--
are, unhappily, too much the characteristics of the modern Christian pulpit.

Uncharitable language is no doubt always to be deprecated. But there is no charity . . .
  in flattering unconverted people,
  in abstaining from any mention of their vices,
  or in applying smooth names to damnable sins!

There are two texts which are too much forgotten by Christian preachers. In one it is written, "Woe unto you when all men shall speak well of you." Luke 6:26. In the other it is written, "Am I now trying to win the approval of men--or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were trying to please men--I would not be Christ's servant." Galatians 1:10

We should mark, also--how plainly John speaks to his hearers about HELL and danger!
He tells them that there is a "coming wrath!"
He speaks of "the ax" of God's judgment--and of unfruitful trees being "thrown into the fire!"

The subject of HELL is always offensive to human nature. The minister who dwells much upon it--must expect to find himself regarded as barbaric, violent, unfeeling and narrow-minded!

Men love to hear "smooth things," and to be told of peace, and not of danger. Isaiah 30:10

But the subject of Hell is one that ought not to be kept back, if we desire to do good to souls. It is one that our Lord Jesus Christ brought forward frequently in His public teachings. That loving Savior, who spoke so graciously of the way to Heaven--has also used the plainest language about the way to Hell.

Let us beware of being wise above that which is written, and more charitable than Scripture itself. Let the language of John the Baptist be deeply engraved on our hearts. Let us never be ashamed to avow our firm belief, that there is a "coming wrath" for the impenitent; and that it is possible for a man to be lost, as well as to be saved.

To be silent on the subject--is dreadful treachery to men's souls. It only encourages them to persevere in wickedness, and fosters the devil's old delusion in their minds, "You shall not surely die!" Genesis 3:4

That minister is surely our best friend--who tells us honestly of danger, and warns us, like John the Baptist, to "flee from the wrath to come!"

Never will a man flee--until he sees that there is real cause to be afraid.
Never will he seek Heaven--until he is convinced that he is on his way to Hell.

The religion in which there is no mention of Hell--is not the religion of John the Baptist, or of our Lord Jesus and His apostles!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: December 06, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »

No sin can be little!

(John Bunyan)

No sin can be little, because it is committed against the great God of heaven and earth.

To commit little sins--the sinner must find a little god!

"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace!" Ephesians 1:7

"The blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin." 1 John 1:7

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: December 07, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »

Think of all the hard things there are in your life

(Susannah Spurgeon, "Words of Cheer and Comfort for Sick and Sorrowful Souls!" 1898.)

"Ah, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You!" Jeremiah 32:17

"Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" Jeremiah 32:26-27

Dear reader, your difficulties and trials may not be similar to those of "the weeping prophet"--but they are very real, and seemingly insurmountable to you. It is a fact that, of yourself, you can neither overcome nor endure them. So I want to remind you that the Lord's hand is not shortened--that what was true of His power in Jeremiah's time, is as certainly true today. Whatever present hardship may press upon you, or whatever burden may be weighing you down--you, yes, you may look up to Him with confident faith, and say, "There is nothing too hard for You!"

Oh, the blessed peace which such an assurance brings! I do not know what your particular sorrow or hardship may be--but I do know that, whatever its nature--cruel, or bitter, or hopeless--it is as "nothing" to Him! He is able to deliver you--as easily as you can call upon Him for support and help.

Now, dear friend, think of all the hard things there are in your life:
  poor circumstances,
  difficult duties,
  grievous pains,
  sore struggles,
  bitter disappointments,
  harsh words,
  sinful thoughts,
  a hard heart of your own,
  a hard heart in others.
Gather all these, and many more together, and pile them one on another until you have one great mountain of afflictions--and your God still calmly asks the question: "Is there anything too hard for Me?"

When our hearts are weary of life's cares and crosses, when our courage flags because of our helplessness, and we cry out with the patriarch, "All these things are against me!"--then what a support and stronghold is the fact that our God has all power in heaven and on earth! There is nothing too mighty for Him to manage--there is nothing too insignificant to escape His notice! Jeremiah's faith . . .
  sees no obstacles,
  stumbles at no hindrances,
  faints under no burden,
  shrinks from no responsibilities
--because he realizes the sublime Omnipotence of God, and fortifies himself by calling to remembrance His "outstretched arm" in the creation of the heavens and the earth. Cannot we do likewise?

I took up a book in a leisure moment the other day, opened it carelessly, and this is what I read: "It is a scientifically proved fact, that this great globe on which we live, spins around on its axis at the rate of a thousand miles an hour, and propels through space in its orbit at a speed immensely greater!"

The thought of this, seemed almost to take away my breath! Was I calmly and constantly living in the swirl of such a stupendous miracle as this? Then surely I could say, "Ah, Lord God! there is nothing too hard for You! My little troubles and afflictions--how small they must be to You! Yet with what tender compassion, do You stoop from guiding the worlds in their courses--to support and comfort the hearts of those who fear You!"

Never let us give up in despair, while we have such a God to trust in. If there is a great mountain of sorrow or difficulty in your way, dear friend--do not be cast down by the darkness of its shadow. Your God can either make a way for you through it--or He can guide you around it--or, just as easily, He can carry you right over it! There is nothing too hard for Him! Expect Him to make the crooked things straight, and to bring the high things low. And while you keep humbly at His feet, He will work wondrously, and you shall see His salvation!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: December 09, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »

Your daughter is dead!

"While Jesus was still speaking, someone came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue ruler. 'Your daughter is dead!' he said." Luke 8:49

Let us notice in this verse--how universal is the dominion which death holds over mankind. We see death coming to a rich man's house, and tearing from him the desire of his eyes with a stroke!

Such tidings as these, are the bitterest cups which we have to drink in this world. Nothing cuts so deeply into man's heart--as to part with beloved ones, and lay them in the grave. Few griefs are so crushing and heavy--as the grief of a parent over the death of an only child.

Death is indeed a cruel enemy! He makes no distinction in his attacks. He comes to the rich man's mansion--as well as to the poor man's cottage. He does not spare the young, the strong, and the beautiful--any more than the old, the infirm, and the grey-haired. Not all the gold of Australia, nor all the skill of doctors--can keep the hand of death from our bodies, in the day of his power. When the appointed hour comes, and God permits him to smite--then our worldly schemes must be broken off, and our darlings must be taken away and buried out of our sight.

These thoughts are melancholy, and few like to hear of them. The subject of death is one that men shut their eyes at, and refuse to look at. "All men think all men mortal, but themselves!" But why should we treat this great reality in this way? Why should we not rather look the subject of death in the face, in order that when our turn comes--we may be prepared to die?

Death will come to our houses, whether we like it or not. Death will take each of us away--despite our dislike to hearing about it. Surely it is the part of a wise man to get ready for this great change.

Why should we not be ready? There is one who can deliver us from the fear of death. Christ has overcome death, and "brought life and immortality to light through the Gospel." He who believes on Him, has everlasting life. Though he dies--yet shall he live.

Let us believe in the Lord Jesus--and then death will lose his sting. We shall then be able to say with Paul, "To me, to die is gain!" Philippians 1:21

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: December 09, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »

A crucified Savior will never be content to have a self-pleasing, self-indulging, worldly-minded people!

"If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it--but whoever loses his life for Me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world--and yet lose or forfeit his very self?" Luke 9:23-25

We learn here, the absolute necessity of daily self-denial. Every day we ought . . .
  to crucify the flesh,
  to overcome the world,
  and to resist the devil.

We ought to keep our bodies under control, and bring them into subjection. We ought to be on our guard, like soldiers in an enemy's country. We ought to fight a daily battle--and war a daily warfare. The command of our Master is clear and plain, "If any man will come after Me--let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me."

Now what do we know of all this? Surely this is a question which ought to be asked. A little formal church-going, and a decent attendance at a place of worship--can never be the Christianity of which Christ speaks in this place.

Where is our self-denial?

Where is our daily carrying of the cross?

Where is our following of Christ?

Without a religion of this kind--we shall never be saved.

A crucified Savior will never be content to have a self-pleasing, self-indulging, worldly-minded people!

No self-denial--no real grace!

No cross--no crown!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: December 10, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »

They have often destroyed, by their daily lives--the whole work of their lips!

"He told them: Take nothing for the journey--no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town." Luke 9:3-4

Let us observe that our Lord charges His apostles, when He sends them forth--to study simplicity of habits, and contentment with such things as they have.

These instructions contain a lesson for all time. The spirit of these verses is meant to be remembered by all ministers of the Gospel. The leading idea which the words convey--is a warning against worldliness and luxurious habits.

Well would it be for the world and the Church, if the warning had been more carefully heeded! From no quarter has Christianity received such damage--as it has from the hands of its own ministers! On no point have its ministers erred so much, and so often--as in the matter of personal worldliness, and luxury of life. They have often destroyed, by their daily lives--the whole work of their lips! They have given occasion to the enemies of religion to say that they love ease, and money, and earthly things--far more than souls.

From such ministers, may we pray daily that the Church may be delivered! They are a living stumbling-block in the way to Heaven. They are helpers to the cause of the devil--and not of God. The preacher whose affections are set on money, and finery and feasting, and pleasure-seeking--has clearly mistaken his vocation. He has forgotten his Master's instructions. He is not an apostolic man!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »

Let us bear this in mind, and take comfort in it!

"When the Lord saw her, He had compassion on her and said to her, 'Do not weep!' Then He came and touched the open coffin, and those who carried him stood still. And He said, 'Young man, I say to you, arise!'" Luke 7:13-14

We learn from these verses--how deep is the compassion of our Lord's heart. We see this beautifully brought out in His behavior at this funeral in Nain. He meets the mournful procession accompanying the young man to his grave, and is moved with compassion at the sight. He does not wait to be requested to help. His help appears to have been neither asked for, nor expected. He saw the weeping mother, and knew well what her feelings must have been, for He had been born of a woman Himself.

At once He addressed her with words alike startling and touching. He said unto her, "Do not weep!" A few more seconds--and the meaning of His words became plain. The widow's son was restored to her alive. Her darkness was turned into light--and her sorrow into joy.

Our Lord Jesus Christ never changes! He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. His heart is still as compassionate as when He was upon earth. His sympathy with sufferers is still as strong. Let us bear this in mind, and take comfort in it.

There is no friend or comforter who can be compared to Christ. In all our days of darkness, which must needs be many--let us first turn for consolation to Jesus, the Son of God. He will never fail us, never disappoint us, and never refuse to take interest in our sorrows.

He still lives--who made the widow's heart sing for joy in the gate of Nain.
He still lives--to receive all laboring and heavy-laden ones, if they will only come to Him by faith.
He still lives--to heal the broken-hearted, and be a Friend who sticks closer than a brother.

And He lives to do greater things than these one day. He soon will come again for His people--that they may never weep again, and that all tears may be wiped forever from their eyes!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: December 14, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »

So many traps to catch souls!

"The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear--but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature." Luke 8:14

One caution contained in the parable of the sower--is to beware of the cares of this world. Our Lord tells us that the hearts of many hearers of the Word are like thorny ground. The seed of the Word, when sown upon them--is choked by the multitude of other things, by which their affections are occupied. They have no objection to the doctrines and requirements of the Gospel. They even wish to believe and obey them. But they allow earthly things to get such hold upon their minds--that they leave no room for the Word of God to do its work. And hence it follows that however many sermons they hear--they seem nothing bettered by them. A weekly process of truth-stifling goes on within them. They bring no fruit to perfection.

The things of this world, form one of the greatest dangers which beset a Christian's path. The money, the pleasures, the daily business of the world--are so many traps to catch souls! Thousands of things, which in themselves are innocent, become, when followed to excess--little better than soul-poisons, and helps to Hell!

Open sin is not the only thing that ruins souls. In the midst of our families, and in the pursuit of our lawful callings--we have need to be on our guard. Unless we watch and pray--these temporal things may rob us of Heaven, and smother every sermon we hear. We may live and die as thorny-ground hearers!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: December 14, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »

Of all the doctrines of the Bible, none is so offensive to human nature as . . .

"I assure you that there were many widows in Israel in Elijah's time, when the sky was shut for three and a half years and there was a severe famine throughout the land. Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them, but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of Sidon.
And there were many in Israel with leprosy in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed--only Naaman the Syrian."
All the people in the synagogue were filled with rage when they heard this! They got up, drove Him out of the town, and took Him to the brow of the hill on which the town was built, in order to throw Him down the cliff!" Luke 4:25-29

We learn from these verses--how bitterly human nature dislikes the doctrine of the sovereignty of God. We see this in the conduct of the Jews of Nazareth--when our Lord reminded them that God was under no obligation to work miracles among them.

Were there not many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah? No doubt there were.
Yet to none of them was the prophet sent. All were passed over in favor of a GENTILE widow at Zarephath.

Were there not many lepers in Israel in the days of Elisha? No doubt there were.
Yet to none of them was the privilege of healing granted. Naaman the SYRIAN was the only one who was cleansed.

Such doctrine as this was intolerable to the Jews of Nazareth. It wounded their pride and self-conceit. It taught them that God was no man's debtor, and that if they themselves were passed over in the distribution of His mercies--they had no right to find fault. They could not bear His teaching. They were "filled with rage!" They thrust our Lord out of their city--and had it not been for an exercise of miraculous power on His part, they would doubtless have put Him to a violent death by hurling Him off the cliff!

Of all the doctrines of the Bible, none is so offensive to human nature as the doctrine of God's sovereignty. Man can bear to be told that God is great, and just, and holy, and pure. But to be told that "He has mercy on whom He will have mercy"--that He "gives no account of His matters," that it is "not of him who wills, nor of him who runs--but of God who shows mercy"--these are truths which natural man cannot stand. They often call forth all his enmity against God, and fill him with wrath. Nothing, in short, will make him submit to them--but the humbling teaching of the Holy Spirit.

Let us settle it in our minds that, whether we like it or not--the sovereignty of God is a doctrine clearly revealed in the Bible, and a fact clearly to be seen in the world. Upon no other principle can we ever explain why some members of a family are converted--and others live and die in sin; why some quarters of the earth are enlightened by Christianity--and others remain buried in heathenism. One account alone can be given of all this. All is ordered by the sovereign hand of God!

Let us pray for humility in respect of this deep teaching. Let us never doubt that at the last day the whole world shall be convinced, that He who now "gives no account of His matters" has done all things well!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: December 14, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »

We shall always find him at church!

"This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the Word of God. Those along the wayside are the ones who hear--and then the devil comes and takes away the Word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved." Luke 8:11-12

The first caution that we learn from the parable of the sower--is to beware of the devil when we hear the Word. Our Lord tells us that the hearts of some hearers are like "the wayside." The seed of the Gospel is plucked away from them by the devil almost as soon as it is sown. It does not sink down into their consciences. It does not make the least impression on their minds.

That malicious devil is unwearied in his efforts to do us harm. He is ever watching for our halting--and seeking occasion to destroy our souls. But nowhere perhaps is the devil so active, as in a congregation of Gospel-hearers! Nowhere does he labor so hard to stop the progress of that which is good--and to prevent men and women being saved. From him, come . . .
  wandering thoughts--and roving imaginations;
  listless minds--and dull memories;
  sleepy eyes--and fidgety nerves;
  weary ears--and distracted attention.
In all these things, Satan has a great hand.

People wonder where they come from, and marvel how it is that they find sermons so dull--and remember them so badly! They forget the parable of the sower. They forget the devil.

Let us take heed that we are not wayside hearers. Let us beware of the devil. We shall always find him at church! He never stays away from public ordinances. Let us remember this--and be upon our guard. Heat and cold, and rain and snow--are often dreaded by church-goers, and alleged as reasons for not going to church. But there is one enemy whom they ought to fear more than all these things together--that enemy is the devil!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: December 15, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »

Poison!

(J.C. Ryle)

"But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked: Lord, don't You care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" Luke 10:40

Let us observe what a snare to our souls the cares of this world may be--if allowed to take up too much attention. It is plain from the tone of the passage before us, that Martha allowed her anxiety to provide a suitable entertainment for the Lord, to carry her away. Her excessive zeal for temporal provisions--made her forget, for a time, the things of her soul.

She brought down on herself a solemn rebuke, and had to learn a lesson which probably made a lasting impression. Alas! how great a matter is kindled by a little fire! The beginning of all this, was a little over-anxiety about the innocent household affairs of this world!

The fault of Martha should be a perpetual warning to all Christians. If we desire to grow in grace, and to enjoy soul-prosperity--then we must beware of the cares of this world. Unless we watch and pray, they will insensibly eat up our spirituality, and bring leanness on our souls.

It is not open sin, or flagrant breaches of God's commandments alone, which lead men to eternal ruin. It is far more frequently an excessive attention to things which are in themselves lawful. It seems so right to provide for our own! It seems so proper to attend to the duties of our station! It is just here that our danger lies! Our families, our business, our daily callings, our household affairs, our interaction with society--all, all may become snares to our hearts, and may draw us away from God. We may go down to the pit of Hell from the very midst of lawful things!

Let us take heed to ourselves in this matter. Let us watch our habits of mind jealously, lest we fall into sin unawares. If we love life--then we must hold the things of this world with a very loose hand, and beware of allowing anything to have the first place in our hearts, excepting God. Let us mentally write "Poison!" on all temporal good things. Used in moderation they are blessings, for which we ought to be thankful. But permitted to fill our minds, and trample upon holy things--they become an inevitable curse. Profits and pleasures are dearly purchased--if in order to obtain them we thrust aside eternity from our thoughts, abridge our Bible-reading, become careless hearers of the Gospel, and shorten our prayers.

A little earth upon the fire within us--will soon make that fire burn low.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: December 16, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »

Let this little sentence be continually before the eyes of our minds!

(J.C. Ryle)

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things--but only one thing is needed!" Luke 10:41-42

Let us observe what a solemn rebuke our Lord Jesus Christ gave to His servant Martha. Like a wise physician--He saw the disease which was preying upon her, and at once applied the remedy. Like a tender parent--He exposed the fault into which His erring child had fallen, and did not spare the chastening which was required.

"Martha, Martha," He said, "you are worried and upset about many things--but only one thing is needed!" Faithful are the wounds of a friend! That little sentence was a precious balm indeed! It contained a volume of practical divinity in a few words!

"Only one thing is needed!" How true that saying! The longer we live in the world, the more true it will appear. The nearer we come to the grave, the more thoroughly we shall assent to it. Health, and money, and lands, and rank, and honors, and prosperity, are all well in their way. But they cannot be called needful. Without them thousands are happy in this world, and reach glory in the world to come. The "many things" which men and women are continually struggling for, are not really necessities. The grace of God which brings salvation, is the one thing needful.

Let this little sentence be continually before the eyes of our minds!
Let it check us when we are ready to murmur at earthly trials.
Let it strengthen us when we are tempted to deny our Master on account of persecution.
Let it caution us when we begin to think too much of the things of this world.
Let it quicken us when we are disposed to look back, like Lot's wife.
In all such seasons, let the words of our Lord ring in our ears like a trumpet, and bring us to a right mind! "Only one thing is needed!"

If Christ is ours--then we have all and abound!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: December 17, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »

He answers these many fears with a single golden sentence!

"Fear not, little flock--it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom!" Luke 12:32

Let us mark what a gracious word of consolation this passage contains for all true believers. The Lord Jesus well knew the hearts of His disciples. He knew how ready they were to be filled with fears of every description:
  fears because of the fewness of their number,
  fears because of the multitude of their enemies,
  fears because of the many difficulties in their way,
  fears because of their sense of weakness and unworthiness.
He answers these many fears with a single golden sentence, "Fear not, little flock--it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom!"

Believers are a "little flock." They always have been, ever since the world began.
Professing Christians, have sometimes been very many.
Baptized people at the present day, are a great company.
But true Christians, have always been very few.

It is foolish to be surprised at this. It is vain to expect that it will be otherwise. Our Lord has plainly told us, "But small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life--and only a few find it." Matthew 7:14

All true believers have a glorious "kingdom" awaiting them! Here upon earth--they are often mocked, and ridiculed, and persecuted--and, like their Master, despised and rejected by men. But "the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us!" "When Christ, who is our life, shall appear--then shall you also appear with Him in glory!"

Believers are tenderly loved by God the Father. It is His good pleasure to give them the kingdom. He does not receive them grudgingly, unwillingly or coldly. He rejoices over them, as members of His beloved Son in whom He is well pleased. He regards them as His dear children in Christ. He sees no spot in them. Even now, when He looks down on them from Heaven, in the midst of their infirmities--He is well pleased. And hereafter, when presented before His glory--He will welcome them with exceeding joy! Jude 24

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the