Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:24:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356159 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4020 on: October 15, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »

http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

A shelf in my head!

(Charles Spurgeon)

Before I knew the gospel I gathered up a heterogeneous mass of all kinds of knowledge from here, there, and everywhere--a bit of chemistry, a bit of botany, a bit of astronomy, and a bit of this, that, and the other. I put them altogether, in one great confused chaos.

When I learned the gospel, I got a shelf in my head to put everything in its place, just where it should be.

It seemed to me as if, when I had discovered Christ and Him crucified, I had got the center of the system, so that I could see every other science revolving around in order.

From the earth, you know, the planets appear to move in a very irregular manner--some are progressive, retrograde, stationary, etc. But if you could get upon the sun, you would see them marching round in their constant, uniform, circular motion.

Likewise with human knowledge. Begin with any other science you like--and truth will seem to be amiss. But if you begin with the science of Christ crucified, you will begin with the sun--and you will see every other science moving around it in complete harmony.

The old saying is, "Go from nature--up to nature's God." But it is hard work going up hill. The best thing is to go from nature's God--down to nature. If you once get to nature's God, and believe Him and love Him--it is surprising how easy it is to hear music in the waves, and songs in the wild whisperings of the winds; to see God everywhere, in the stones, in the rocks, in the rippling brooks; and to hear Him everywhere, in the lowing of cattle, in the rolling of thunder, and in the fury of tempests.

Get Christ first, put Him in the right place--and you will find Him to be the wisdom of God in your own experience.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: October 17, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »

God's jewels!

(Thomas Watson, "Religion Our True Interest")

"They will be Mine!" says the Lord Almighty, "in the day when I make up My jewels!" Malachi 3:17

God's people are His jewels--His own special treasure!

In what sense are the saints, God's jewels?

Jewels are precious things; the Hebrew word for jewels signifies a treasure. A treasure is made up of costly things--gold, and diamonds and rubies. Such a precious treasure, are the saints to God.

They are jewels for their sparkling quality. Their holiness shines and sparkles in God's eyes! (Song of Solomon 4:9), "You have ravished My heart, with one glance of your eyes!" That is, with one of your graces.

The godly are jewels for their scarcity. Diamonds are not common. Just so, the godly are scarce and rare. There are but few of these to be found. There are many false professors (as there are many plastic diamonds)--but few true Christians. Among the millions in Rome, there were but few senators. Just so, among the swarms of people in the world--there are but few true believers.

The godly are jewels for their price. Queen Cleopatra had two jewels which were worth half the price of a kingdom. Thus the saints are jewels, for their value. God esteems them at a high rate; He parted with His best jewel for them--Christ's precious blood was shed to ransom these jewels!

The saints are jewels for their adorning quality. Jewels adorn those who wear them. The saints are jewels which adorn the world. Their piety mixed with prudence honors the gospel. Hypocrites eclipse true religion and make it badly spoken of. The saints as jewels, render it illustrious by their sanctity.

God the Father has chosen these jewels, and set them apart for Himself!

Christ has bought these jewels with His blood!

The Holy Spirit has sanctified them. When they were a lump of sin--He made them into His jewels! He will string these pearls together--and put them into His celestial cabinet!

Bless God who has wrought such a change in you! From lumps of dirt and sin--He has made you into His jewels!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: October 17, 2017, 04:38:13 PM »

Old fossils unsuited to the present times!

(J.C. Ryle, 1884)

"For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare himself for battle?" 1 Corinthians 14:8

We need a more certain sound about the work and offices of our Lord Jesus Christ. Men nowadays will dwell exclusively on His prophetic office, the beauty of His personal character, the splendid example of His kindness, patience, condescension, purity, and self-denial. All this, however true, is only half the truth--and by far the least important half too.

The main thing about Christ, of which this age never hears enough, is . . .
  the atonement He made by His death,
  His vicarious sacrifice on the Cross,
  the redemption He obtained for man by His blood,
  His victory over the grave by His resurrection,
  His active life of intercession at God's right hand,
  and the absolute necessity of simple faith in Him.

These blessed truths are seldom made enough of in this day. They are either judiciously dropped as offensive--or coolly left in the background as old fossils unsuited to the present times! If there is not a vast amount of veiled heresy around us, I am greatly mistaken.

"Ask for the old paths, where the good way is--and walk in it. Then you will find rest for your souls." Jeremiah 6:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: October 18, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »

The person and work of the Holy Spirit

(J.C. Ryle, 1884)

"For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare himself for battle?" 1 Corinthians 14:8

We need a more certain sound about the person and work of the Holy Spirit.

There is a great quantity of teaching, I am afraid, in which there is no place left for the Third Person of the Trinity. His presence in the hearts of professing Christians is taken for granted. They think that they possess Him as a matter of course--because they are baptized, or because they belong to the Church, or because they are communicants! In short, many would say, like the Ephesians of old, "We have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit!" Acts 19:2

But surely this is not Apostolic teaching. People need to be told now as much as they were told eighteen centuries ago, that the fruits of the Spirit are the only evidence of having the Spirit, and that those fruits must be seen--that we must be . . .
  born of the Spirit,
  led by the Spirit,
  sanctified by the Spirit, and
  experience the operations of the Spirit.

"If anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ--he does not belong to Christ." Romans 8:9

There is far more heresy concerning the Holy Spirit in the present time, than most people suppose.

"Ask for the old paths, where the good way is--and walk in it. Then you will find rest for your souls." Jeremiah 6:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: October 19, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »

Some of the preachers say that there is no Hell!

(J.C. Ryle, 1884)

We need a more certain sound about the state of man after death. There is a growing disposition in this day to give up the old doctrine of the judgment of the wicked, and the eternal misery of all who die impenitent and unbelieving. Men are gradually being indoctrinated with the notion that there is hope for all beyond the grave, and that at any rate there is nothing to fear, and no punishment after death, no matter how we live or die.

I regard such teaching as most mischievous and likely to promote carelessness and immorality! Yet in hundreds of pulpits the subject is either carefully avoided, or else handled in a most unsatisfactory manner.

Let us beware of being wise above that which is written, and of ignoring, shirking, or strangling plain texts of Scripture.

I cannot feel surprised when I am told that abandoned women in the streets of London have been heard to say, "Come along! Who's afraid? Some of the preachers say that there is no Hell."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: October 20, 2017, 03:46:45 PM »

Nestle in our Savior's arms!

(J.R. Miller, "Daily Bible Readings in the Life of Christ" 1890)

"He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in His arms," Mark 9:36

This picture of "Jesus with the little one in His arms" is very beautiful. In all the Bible there is scarcely another picture which so well represents the attitude both of the saved soul and of the Savior--in all Christian life.

Jesus takes the child in His arms--there is love, tenderness and protection.

The bosom is the place of warmth, of affection, of intimacy, of confidence.

The encircling arms--imply safety, support and shelter.

Jesus lifted up the child and held it in His arms--just so does He carry His people through this wilderness world! He does not merely tell them what path to travel--but He takes them on His shoulders, carrying not only their burdens--but themselves! Thus He bears them on through life and through death--to Heaven, where they shall forever be with Him!

Then look at the picture the other way--the child in the Savior's arms. The child's attitude speaks of trust, confidence, repose, peace, love, joy--just the feelings which belong to the true Christian. What a place the bosom of Christ is--in danger, in storm, in sorrow, in death! Shall we not likewise learn--to nestle in our Savior's arms in all our troublesome experiences?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: October 21, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »

Our merciful, compassionate Christ!

(J.C. Ryle)

"Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus!" Philippians 1:6

Let us take comfort in the thought that the Lord Jesus does not cast off His believing people because of failures and imperfections. He knows what they are.

He takes them, as the husband takes the wife--with all their blemishes and defects; and once joined to Him by faith, He will never leave them. He is a merciful and compassionate High-priest. It is His glory to pass over the transgressions of His people, and to cover their many sins.

He knew what they were before conversion--wicked, guilty, and defiled; yet He loved them. He knows what they will be after conversion--weak, erring, and frail; yet He loves them. He has undertaken to save them, notwithstanding all their shortcomings--and what He has undertaken, He will perform.

"My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish--ever! No one can snatch them out of My hand." John 10:27-28

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: October 22, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »

O for a spirit of habitual prayer!

(James Smith, "The Evening Sacrifice; Or, A Help to Devotion" 1859)

"But I call to God, and the LORD saves me. Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress--and He hears my voice!" Psalm 55:16-17

The well taught Christian carries everything to God--and in so doing, obtains relief, enjoys peace, and grows in grace.
For all that we need--we should call upon God.
And from all that we fear--we should flee unto God.

At the close of every day, it is our mercy to call upon the Lord.
We must make confession of sin--and obtain pardon.
We must carry to Him our burdens--and obtain relief.
We must tell out before Him our needs--and obtain a supply.

Oh, how precious it is to go to the Lord at the close of each day, and tell Him all that has . . .
  vexed us,
  grieved us,
  cast us down, or
  disquieted our spirits!

And how blessed to go to him each morning, and seek grace to live holily and happily through the day!

Nor is it less blessed to have a few minutes with God at noon--breaking, as it were, the day in two, and keeping short accounts with God.

O for a spirit of habitual prayer, that at evening, and at morning, and at noon--we may pray, and cry aloud to God!

If we were more with the Lord in prayer, we would have . . .
  more strength to carry our crosses,
  more patience to bear our troubles,
  and more comfort amidst life's sorrows.

Holy Spirit, take up your residence in my heart as a Spirit of prayer, and lead me daily, hourly, yes, very often--to the mercy-seat. Let me find the hours of prayer to be precious seasons. And especially at eventide, when worn and exhausted with the toils and troubles of the day--let me find sweet solace and refreshment in pouring out my soul unto God.

Precious Lord Jesus, draw our souls to You evening by evening, and lead us into the presence of Your Father, that we may have sweet and hallowed fellowship with God! Let our devotions ascend as sweet incense to God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: October 23, 2017, 05:34:39 PM »

In that moment we would fall into mischief and misery, if not into Hell!

(James Smith, "The Evening Sacrifice; Or, A Help to Devotion" 1859)

"I have gone astray like a lost sheep--seek Your servant" Psalm 119:176

However far the Lord's people may wander from Him, they cannot forget His word or His gracious dealings with them. They remember the years of His leading and sustaining.

Like sheep--every one of us have a propensity to wander. We need keeping every moment. If it were possible for the Lord to take His eyes off of us but for one moment--in that moment we would fall into mischief and misery, if not into Hell. But the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry.

My soul, have you wandered from the Lord? Have you wandered from the green pastures of His Word? Have you wandered from the Church, which is His fold? Have you wandered from His throne of grace--or from His nail-pierced side? If so,
  your graces will wither,
  your comforts will die, and
  your profession will become a mere form.

Cry to the great Shepherd, cry mightily to Jesus, "Seek Your servant!" Blessed be His holy name--He will go out into the wilderness in search of every one of His lost sheep--and He will never return until He finds and restores it.

Jesus, Shepherd of my soul--seek me, and bring me back from all my wanderings. Let me feed and be bound with Your flock. Let me hear Your sweet voice calling me by name, and leading me home. May I never enjoy rest, but at Your side; nor feel at home, but with Your flock and family.

Tonight, O Savior, draw me near to Yourself. Soothe my perturbed spirit with the communications of Your grace and truth--and let me lie down conscious of my saving interest in You, of Your love to me, and of my safety through You. Nearer to You, O Jesus--draw me still nearer to You!

"My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish--ever! No one can snatch them out of My hand." John 10:27-28

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: October 24, 2017, 05:09:18 PM »

Divine punishment--or divine chastisement?

(Arthur Pink)

There is a threefold distinction between divine punishment--and divine chastisement.

The first lies in the character in which God acts.
  In the former, God acts as Judge.
  In the latter, God acts as Father.

The second distinction lies in the recipients of each.
  The objects of the former, are His enemies.
  The objects of the latter, are His children.

A third distinction is seen in the design of each.
  The one is retributive--the other remedial.
  The one flows from His anger--the other flows from His love.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: October 25, 2017, 05:55:06 PM »

All these things shall have no place in Heaven!

(J.C. Ryle, "Shall We Know One Another in Heaven?" 1870)

I pity that man who never thinks about Heaven. I mean by "Heaven" the future dwelling-place of all true Christians, when the dead are raised, and the world has passed away. Cold and unfeeling must that heart be, which never gives a thought to that dwelling-place! Dull and earthly must that mind be, which never considers Heaven.

We may die any day. "In the midst of life, we are in death." We must all die sooner or later. The youngest, the fairest, the strongest, the cleverest--all must go down one day before the scythe of the King of Terrors. This world shall not go on for ever as it does now. Its affairs shall at last be wound up.

Now, what will Heaven be like? The question, no doubt, is a deep one, but there is nothing presumptuous in looking at it. The man who is about to sail for Australia or New Zealand as a settler, is naturally anxious to know something about his future home, its climate, its employments, its inhabitants, its ways, and its customs. All of these are subjects of deep interest to him.

In the same way, you are leaving the land of your nativity--and you are going to spend the rest of your life in a new world. It would be strange indeed if you did not desire information about your new abode.

Now surely, if we hope to dwell for ever in that "better country, even a heavenly one"--then we ought to seek all the knowledge we can get about it. Before we go to our eternal home--we should try to become acquainted with it.

Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people.
All who are found there, will be of one mind and of one experience:
 chosen by the same Father,
 washed in the same blood of atonement,
 and renewed by the same Spirit.

Universal and perfect holiness, love, and knowledge--will be the eternal law of the kingdom.

Heaven is the eternal presence of everything that can make a saint happy--and the eternal absence of everything that can cause sorrow. Sickness, and pain, and disease, and death, and wickedness, and poverty, and labor, and money, and care, and ignorance, and misunderstanding, and slander, and lying, and quarrels, and envies, and bad tempers, and infidelity, and superstition, and heresy, and schism, and wars, and fightings, and bloodshed, and murders, and law-suits--all, all these things shall have no place in Heaven! On earth, in this present time, they may live and flourish. In Heaven even their footprints shall not be known.

"Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; He will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes!" Revelation 7:16-17

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: October 26, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »

The Bible is always a new book to those well acquainted with it!

(Arthur Pink, "The Divine Inspiration of the Bible")

Although one may know, word for word, the entire contents of some chapter of Scripture; and although he may have taken the time to thoughtfully ponder every sentence therein--yet, on every subsequent occasion, provided one comes to it again in the spirit of humble inquiry, each fresh reading will reveal new gems never seen there before and new delights will be experienced never met with previously. The most familiar passages will yield as much refreshment at the thousandth perusal--as they did at the first!

The Bible has been likened to a fountain of living water--the fountain is ever the same, but the water is always fresh!

~  ~  ~  ~

"The Bible is always a new book to those well acquainted with it!" Robert Chapman

~  ~  ~  ~

"A humble and prayerful spirit will find a thousand things in the Bible--which the proud, self-conceited student will utterly fail to discern!" J.C. Ryle

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: October 28, 2017, 04:19:08 PM »

It cleaves to us like our skin!

(J.C. Ryle)

"An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest." Luke 9:46
"Then He said to them: He who is least among you all--he is the greatest." Luke 9:48

As astonishing as it may seem, this little company of fishermen and publicans was not beyond the plague of a self-seeking and prideful spirit. Such is the heart of man. There is something very instructive in this fact. It ought to sink down deeply into the heart of every Christian reader.

Of all sins, there is none against which we have such need to watch and pray, as pride.
It is a pestilence that walks in darkness--and a sickness that destroys at noon-day.

No sin is so deeply rooted in our nature as pride! It cleaves to us like our skin! Its roots never entirely die--they are ready, at any moment, to spring up, and exhibit a most pernicious vitality.

No sin is so senseless and deceitful as pride. It can wear the garb of humility itself. It can lurk in the hearts of the ignorant, the ungifted, and the poor--as well as in the minds of the great, the learned, and the rich.

Of all creatures, none has so little right to be proud as man--and of all men, none ought to be so humble as the Christian!

Is it really true that we confess ourselves to be "miserable sinners," and daily debtors to mercy and grace? Are we the followers of Jesus, who was "meek and lowly of heart," and "made Himself nothing" for our sakes? Then let that same mind be in us, which was in Christ Jesus. Let us lay aside all proud thoughts and self-conceit. In lowliness of mind, let us esteem others better than ourselves. Let us be ready, on all occasions, to take the lowest place. And let the words of our Savior ring in our ears continually, "He who is least among you all--he is the greatest."

Let a prayer for humility form part of our daily supplications.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: October 29, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »

What a pavilion of comfort is this!

(Octavius Winslow)

"As the Father has loved Me--so have I loved you!" John 15:9

Believer, you have a home in the heart of Jesus! What a pavilion of comfort is this--the love of Christ! To know that the affections of Jesus embrace and entwine around us, to be assured that He loves us each one as though we were the only one whom He loved--what a privilege and a bliss!

And yet so it is, Jesus loves you, cares for you, watches over and sympathizes with you--as if you were the only one whom He loved. "He loved me--and gave Himself for me!" Seek this individual consciousness of Christ's love, and you will be supremely happy!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: October 30, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »

At the feet of Jesus!

(J.R. Miller, "At the Feet of Jesus" 1891)

As we know Martha wherever we see her--by her diligent, eager serving; so we know Mary by her posture at the feet of Jesus. Only three times she is seen in the Gospel story--and each time she is at her usual place.

First, we find her sitting at Christ's feet as a learner, eagerly listening to His words. "She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet, and listened to His teaching." Luke 10:39

At the feet of Jesus is the place of discipleship, where one learns the lessons the Master has to teach, where one's soul receives the blessings He has to give.

Every believer should learn the lesson that there can be no beautiful Christian character for him, no sweet influence pouring out from his life, no blessed ministry giving comfort and joy to others--unless he first sits at Christ's feet as a learner. He must receive--before he can give. This is a vital principle in Christian life. We can give out to others--only what God has first given to us.

You see a beautiful rose bathed in the summer sunshine and pouring forth its sweetness. "I would have my life like the rose!" you say. Yes, but where did the rose get its loveliness and its fragrance? Down out of the sky, did it not? It looked up and opened its heart--and the sun poured his warm beams into the flower's bosom. Out of the air at night came the gentle dew and crept into the flower's folds, and the beauty burst out and the sweetness flowed forth.

Would you have your life like the rose? You must commune with Christ. Your heart must receive the warmth of His love. You must take His words into your soul. He must fill you with His own blessed life. All you can bring to Christ is your own emptiness--the emptiness of penitence, of humility, of a thirsty soul.

A poet speaks of Mary's eyes as "homes of silent prayer." Her eyes of prayer told of a great heart-hunger. She did not talk in Christ's presence. She had nothing to say. She wanted Him to speak to her. And any word He spoke went down deep into her heart and became a blessing there, pouring its sweet influence through all her life.

Here we get the first lesson from Mary. You must sit at Christ's feet as a learner, as a receiver. Let Him teach you. Let Him pour His own life and love into your heart.

The first thing is, not what you shall do for Christ--but what Christ shall do for you; not what you shall give to Him--but what you shall receive from Him. Keep all the windows of your soul open toward Him, that the light from His face may shine into the very depths of your being. Take His words into your heart and ponder them with love and prayer--until they fill you with their own life and spirit.

Says Henry Drummond: "Ten minutes spent in Christ's presence every day, yes, two minutes, if it is face to face and heart to heart--will make all things different. Throughout the whole day, your actions, down to the last detail, will do homage to that early vision."

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the