Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356253 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: July 13, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »

http://www.gracegems.org/19/literature.htm

The hen which does not sit on her eggs!

(Charles Spurgeon, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" 1883)

"A hen that soon leaves her nest, never hatches her chicks."

How can she? Patience is needed, and the quiet self-denial by which she renders up the warmth of her heart--otherwise her eggs will lie as dead as stones!

Just so, a sudden glance at truth without meditation upon it, does not profit. The value of truth will never be known, by those who look at it and hurry on. They must brood over it, and cover it with their heart's love--or it will never become living truth to their souls. We must apply ourselves to a doctrine, giving our whole soul and heart to it--or we shall miss the blessing.

Lord, when I hear a sermon, or read in a good book--let me not be as the hen which neither sits on her eggs, nor hatches them. But make me to ponder Your Word, and to rejoice over it as one who finds great spoil.

"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth. Meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful!" Joshua 1:8

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: July 15, 2017, 03:03:07 PM »

The one who profits me most!

(Arthur Pink)

"Be an example to all believers . . .
  in what you teach,
  in the way you live,
  in your love, your faith and your purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

I will name some of the criteria by which I measure the helpfulness of a preacher or writer to my own soul.

The one who profits me most, is the man . . .
  whose ministry brings the most awe of a holy and sovereign God into my heart,
  who reveals my sinfulness and failures to me,
  who conveys the most light on my path of duty,
  who makes Christ most precious to me,
  who encourages me to press forward along the narrow way.

"Watch your life and doctrine closely." 1 Timothy 4:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: July 15, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »

O eternity!

(James Smith, "The Way of Salvation Set Forth")

"They will go away to eternal punishment--but the righteous to eternal life!" Matthew 25:46

The soul is immortal--it can never cease to be. It is destined by the immutable decree of God, to exist eternally.

O eternity! Who can conceive your dimensions!

Forever! Who can grasp the mighty idea!

To exist forever--solemn consideration!

Millions of ages as numerous . . .
  as the stars in the skies,
  as the sands on the seashore,
  as blades of grass on the surface of the globe,
  as leaves which fall from the trees in autumn
--are as nothing in comparison with eternity!

But where shall we exist? How will eternity be spent by us? In happiness--or in torment?

That will entirely depend upon the character, the state, the condition--in which we live and die. If we live in sin, if we serve self and Satan, if we die accursed--then we must suffer the due desert of our deeds in eternal Hell. But if we believe in Jesus, if we live unto God, if we die under His blessing--then we shall possess and enjoy glory, honor and eternal life in Heaven--and these forever!

Let the solemn fact that you are immortal, deeply impress your mind. Try to realize the overwhelming thought, "I must live forever! I must live forever in unspeakable happiness--or inconceivable misery! My eternal state depends on my present state. If I live unconverted, then I must die accursed--I am lost, and once lost, lost forever!"

O eternity! Tremendous sound! Incomprehensible idea!

"So teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: July 17, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »

God's Hand and Heart!

(Thomas Brooks)

"Who is a God like You, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of His inheritance? You do not stay angry forever, but delight to show mercy!" Micah 7:18

God takes delight in showing of mercy. He takes no pleasure in giving His people up to adversity. Mercy and kindness flow from Him freely and naturally. He is never severe, never harsh. He never stings us--but when He is sadly provoked by us.

God's hand sometimes may lie very hard upon His people--when His heart, His affections at those very times may be yearning towards them. "Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great compassion for him--declares the LORD." Jeremiah 31:20

No man can tell the heart of God--by His hand.
God's hand of mercy may be open to those against whom His heart is set--as you see in the rich fool and Dives.
And His hand of severity may lie hard upon those on whom He has set His heart--as you may see in Job and Lazarus.

"When you can't trace His hand--trust His heart!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: July 17, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »

A man who hears many sermons

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long!" Psalm 119:97

It is well to meditate upon the things of God--because it is only by pondering the Scriptures, that we get the real nutriment out of them. A man who hears many sermons--is not necessarily well-instructed in the faith. We may read so many religious books that we overload our brains, and they may be unable to work under the weight of the great mass of paper and of printer's ink.

The man who reads but one book, and that book his Bible, and then meditates much upon it--will be a better scholar in Christ's school than he who merely reads hundreds of books, and does not meditate at all!

Oh, that we might get into the very heart of the Word of God--and get that Word into ourselves!

As I have seen the silkworm eat into the leaf and consume it, so ought we to do with the Word of the Lord--not crawl over its surface, but eat right into it until we have taken it into our inmost parts. It is idle merely to let the eye glance over the words, or to recollect the poetic expressions, or the historic facts; but it is blessed to eat into the very soul of the Bible until, at last, you come to talk in Scriptural language, and your very style is fashioned upon Scripture models--and, what is better still, your spirit is redolent with the words of the Lord!

"Your words were found, and I devoured them, and Your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart!" Jeremiah 15:16

"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful!" Joshua 1:8

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: July 22, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »

Tenderly and graciously does He deal with us!

(Francis Bourdillon, "A Psalm of Blessing!" 1864)

"For He knows how weak we are--He remembers we are only dust. Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die. The wind blows, and we are gone--as though we had never been here! But the love of the LORD remains forever with those who fear Him." Psalm 103:14-17

The shortness and uncertainty of our lives--our weakness, frailty, and sinfulness--God knows them all. Tenderly and graciously does He deal with us! In His great mercy and compassion, He . . .
  bears with us;
  raises us when we fall;
  strengthens us when we are weak; and
  helps, guides, sustains and comforts us.

He has . . .
  a perfect knowledge of our needs,
  an unspeakable compassion for them,
  and full power to supply them all.

His mercy is everlasting. It will never wear out--and never come to an end.

As for us, we are frail and short-lived. Let but a few years pass, and . . .
  the strongest will have fallen to the sythe of death,
  the longest-lived will have all passed away, and
  our own course here below will have come to a close.
"Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die. The wind blows, and we are gone--as though we had never been here!"

Not so is the mercy of the Lord, and the things which He has prepared for those who love Him. They are from everlasting to everlasting. His promises will never fail. Jesus is . . .
  an all-sufficient Savior,
  an unfailing Advocate,
  an everlasting portion!

Well may every believer join with the Psalmist in rejoicing and praising God,
   "Praise the LORD, O my soul--all my inmost being, praise His holy name!
    Praise the LORD, O my soul--and do not forget all His benefits!" Psalm 103:1-2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: July 22, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »

The one unfailing source of help and comfort!

(Francis Bourdillon, "Come unto Me!" 1864)

"Come unto Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest!" Matthew 11:28

Jesus invites all who labor and are heavy laden, to come unto Him. Not sufferers of one kind only--but all sufferers. Not those alone who feel the weight of this particular burden or that--but all the heavy laden.

The poor and needy,
the weak and sickly,
the toiling father,
the anxious mother,
he who feels the weight of his sins,
he whose conscience testifies against him,
he who finds no comfort in this world, and yet fears that he is not prepared for the next
--all are invited to come to Jesus!

Their cases are widely different, the burdens that press upon them are by no means alike--yet all are invited to one Helper and Comforter, "Come unto Me!" He does not bid one sufferer go for comfort to this source--and another to that. He invites all to Himself--as the one unfailing source of help and comfort!

"Come unto Me!" We do not deserve to be thus invited. Many are suffering the consequences of their own sins--and all of us are sinners. If we met with only what we deserve--then He might justly say to us, "Go away from Me!" Instead of this, Jesus bids us come to Him. Whatever we may have been--however thoughtless, however ungrateful, however wicked--yet if we are now in need or trouble, that is enough. He bids us come to Him.

We are not to stop and think about our own unworthiness. He says nothing here about that. He only says, "Come unto Me." That is what He invites us to do--that is what we are to do, and we are to do it at once!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: July 22, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »

Nothing is more helpful and practical in Christian living!

(J.R. Miller)

"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Joshua 1:8

The habit of treasuring up a text of Scripture in the morning, to be meditated upon while engaged in the business of the world through the day--is both profitable and delightful. It is as a refreshing spring to a weary traveler!

Nothing is more helpful and practical in Christian living, than the habit of getting a verse of Scripture into the mind and heart in the morning. Its influence stays through the day, weaving itself into all the day's thoughts and words and experiences.

Every verse in the Bible is meant to help us to live--and a good devotional book opens up the precious teachings which are folded up in its words.

A devotional book, which takes a Scripture text, and so opens it for us in the morning--that all day long it helps us to live, becoming a true lamp to our feet, and a staff to lean upon when the way is rough--is the very best devotional help we can possibly have. What we need in a devotional book which will bless our lives--is the application of the great teachings of Scripture--to common, daily, practical life!
"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on His law he meditates day and night!" Psalm 1:1-2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: July 22, 2017, 07:11:16 PM »

The sanctifying power of the cross!

(John L. Dagg, "Manual of Theology")
http://www.gracegems.org/31/dagg_manual_of_theology.htm

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world!" Galatians 6:14

It may be profitable to yet linger a little while at the cross--that we may again survey its glory, and feel its soul-subduing power.

In the cross of Christ--all the divine perfections are gloriously and harmoniously displayed. Infinite love, inviolable truth, and inflexible justice are all seen, in their brightest and most beautifully mingled colors. The heavens declare the glory of God--but the glory of the cross outshines the wonders of the skies! God's moral perfections are here displayed, which are the highest glory of His character.

The cross of Christ is our only hope of everlasting life. On Him who hangs there, our iniquities were laid--and from His wounds, flows the blood that cleanses from all sin. Our faith views the bleeding victim, and securely relies on the great atoning sacrifice. It views mercy and grace streaming from the cross--and to the cross it comes to obtain every needed blessing.

In the cross, the believer finds the strongest motive to holiness. As we stand before it, and view the exhibition of the Savior's love--we resolve to live unto Him who died for us.

The world ceases to charm. We become crucified to the world--and the world crucified to us.

Sin appears infinitely hateful. We regard it as the accursed thing which caused the death of our beloved Lord--and we grow strong in the purpose to wage an exterminating war against it. By all the Savior's agonies, we vow to have no peace with sin for ever.

The cross is the place for penitential tears. We look on Him whom we have pierced, and mourn. Contemplating Jesus' sin-atoning sacrifice, is the highest motive to holiness. Our hearts bleed at the sight of the bleeding sufferer, murdered by our sins--and we resolve that the murderers shall die!

The cross is a holy place, where we learn . . .
  to be like Christ,
  to hate sin as He hated it, and
  to delight in the law of God which was in His heart.

In the presence of the cross, we feel that omnipotent grace has taken hold of our heart--and we surrender to dying love.

The doctrine of the cross needs no other demonstration of its divine origin--than its power to sanctify the heart, and bring it into willing and joyful subjection to Christ.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: July 22, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »

Harder to tame than wild beasts!

(J.R. Miller)

"The tongue has the power of life and death!" Proverbs 18:21

"The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by Hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man--but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison!" James 3:6-8

The tongue is a very troublesome member! It is a very important member, however--and with it we can do great good.

Our words, if they are true and loving--carry blessings wherever they are heard. But the tongue is hard to control. When we have really gotten our tongue under control--we are almost perfect. One who can govern his speech--can govern every other part of his life.

A small bit keeps a spirited horse in check--and a little rudder turns a great ship in its course. Just so the tongue, though so small a member, controls the whole life!

The tongue is harder to tame than wild beasts! There has been but one Man who never spoke foolishly, rashly, bitterly. Jesus never did--His words were always pure, sweet, helpful, and inspiring.

We ought to set ourselves the task of mastering our tongues--for then we can do untold good with them. Only Christ can help us to do it. He mastered everything--demons, diseases, winds, waves, death itself. He alone can help us to master the most unruly tongue!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: July 23, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

This good, old couple!

(J.R. Miller)

"They were both righteous before God--walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord." Luke 1:6

It is a beautiful thing which we read of this good, old couple, Zacharias and Elisabeth--that they were righteous before God. Some people appear to men to be righteous--who before God have no such record.

Real character is what our hearts are--our hearts make us. We ought not to be satisfied only doing well, the things which men can see. We ought to work and live ever for God's eye.

Sometimes we say that it is does not matter how we do certain things, because nobody will see them. But we should remember that God will see them--and surely we should never do careless, faulty work for His eye.

The word "commandments" suggests that the holiness of these people was of a very practical kind.

Some people's religion is chiefly emotional. They talk about loving God--but they pay little heed to His commandments.

God is pleased with ardent devotions, but He wants us to prove our religion by obedience--doing the things which He gives us to do.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: July 25, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »

My portion!

(Francis Bourdillon, "The Lord Our Portion!" 1864)

"You are my portion, O Lord" Psalm 119:57

"You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living." Psalm 142:5

God is a satisfying portion. At least He ought to be. And indeed He is--in proportion as He is enjoyed.

As a grown-up person no longer cares for toys--so a spiritually-minded person does not care for the trifles of the world, as he used to care for them. The world's pleasures are but toys to him--he has found something better. The Lord is his portion. That is enough. He wants no more.

All that comes to him, he takes as part of his portion--because it is from the hand of God. Be it much or little, be it what he would have chosen or not--it is what God sends, his allotted portion. So he is content--content and thankful and happy; for with all that God gives, He does not withhold . . .
  Himself,
  the sense of His favor and blessing,
  the humble yet firm persuasion of His pardoning mercy,
  His love and grace in Christ Jesus.
What portion can the world give like this?

God is a sure portion too. An earthly inheritance, however safe it may seem, may be lost. Earthly joy may quickly be turned into sorrow. Everything earthly may be changed or lost. But the Christian's portion is a sure one--for God is his portion--and God never changes.

"God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!" Psalm 73:26

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: July 25, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »

A splendid sum in addition!

(J.R. Miller)

"ADD . . .
  to your faith, virtue;
  to virtue, knowledge;
  to knowledge, self-control;
  to self-control, perseverance;
  to perseverance, godliness;
  to godliness, brotherly kindness; and
  to brotherly kindness, love. 2 Peter 1:5-7

Our verses presents us with a splendid sum in addition! These graces are to be added one to another.

Faith comes first. But faith cannot stand-alone, so we add to our faith, virtue--that is, conformity of one's life and conduct to the highest moral and ethical principles.

Next we are to add knowledge. Knowledge, of course, of the true kind--wisdom for life, spiritual knowledge, knowledge of God, and of God's will as found in His Word.

Self-control comes next--this is the key of all noble life. No matter how strong we are, or how much we know--if we have not self-control, then something is lacking. He who can rule himself is strong--while he who lacks self-mastery, no matter what other gifts he may have, is pitiably weak.

Self-control produces another element--perseverance, perseverance in all Christian duties.

Another quality to be added to patience is Godliness--Godlikeness, Christlikeness.

Then comes brotherly kindness--affectionateness and forbearance to those among whom we mingle.

Last of all--love, the crowning gift and blessing!

These elements of character make up Christian maturity.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: July 26, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »

A cheat, a deceiver, and a destroyer!

(C.D. Cole)

Sin is an obvious fact of experience, of observation, and of Scripture revelation.

I feel it in my own heart--and I see in others, even in my best friends and loved ones.

The policeman pursues it,
the physician prescribes for it,
the law reveals it,
conscience condemns it,
God surely punishes it,
and yet nobody likes to own it!

As a matter of fact--sin is all that anyone really owns; he is merely a steward of everything else he may possess. As obvious as sin is, there is a proneness to treat it like some folks treat their trashy relatives--it is ignored and even denied.

Sin may be defined--but it cannot be fully explained. How sin got started in the universe, is a profound mystery. It had no place in the original creation, which God pronounced good. Sin is a parasite, an interloper in the moral system, and a terrible monstrosity. Sin made its appearance on earth in a garden of delights--and then it turned this fair earth into a wilderness of woe! In the original creation we read only of Heaven and earth--but after sin entered, we are told of everlasting fire prepared for the Devil, his demons, and all the unrepentant.

Sin is a cheat, a deceiver, and a destroyer!

It promises pleasure--and pays off in pain!

It promises life--and pays off in death and damnation!

It promises profit--and pays off in poverty, and the loss of all good!

Every sin is committed for profit or pleasure. Nobody would sin if he did not think that it would profit in some form or other. There is some profit in sin--but it is short-lived.

Moses took a long look and made the wise choice. He chose to suffer affliction with the people of God--rather than enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season. He esteemed the reproach of Christ to be greater riches than the treasures of Egypt. He chose in view of the day of judgment.

Sin is dangerous beyond expression and description. Sin is violation of the moral law of God--and violated divine law cries out for just retribution. Sin is against God, the Judge of all the earth--and must be accounted for before God.

Human society may and often does punish crime--but only God can punish sin. At times, human society may fail to punish the criminal--but God will not fail to punish the sinner who is without a Savior.

All crime against men--is also sin against God.
But not all sin against God--is a crime against men.

Human society punishes men for what they do--but God also punishes men for what they are.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: July 28, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »

The Word of God has in it an efficacy which no other book in the world has!

(J.R. Miller)

"From childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness--that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:15-17

It is a great thing to be brought up on the Holy Scriptures. No other book can do for a life, what the Bible can do. It is able to make one wise in the best way--for salvation through faith in Jesus.

The Word of God has in it an efficacy which no other book in the world has!

It is profitable for doctrine--instructing in holy things, the things of God and eternal life.

It is profitable for reproof--convicting us of sin and declaring God's judgment against evil.

It is profitable for correction--not only showing us our faults, but leading us away from them, freeing our lives from errors and making straight what was crooked.

It is profitable for instruction in righteousness--telling us how God would have us live, what qualities of character He would have us attain.

One who is trained under the tuition of the Scriptures will come to be a complete Christian, furnished for usefulness and prepared for doing whatever good work he may be called to do.

Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the