Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:44:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 355933 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: August 23, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

The world, so fair, so fascinating!

(Hetty Bowman, "Life, Its Duties and Discipline" 1861)

It is possible that these words may meet the eye of some whose hearts are still set on the world, and the things of the world.

Firm are the meshes in which the world entangles the heedless footstep!

Potent is the spell which the world weaves around the thoughtless and unwary!

The mazes of pleasure firmly enslave the soul!

The world, so fair, so fascinating! How shall it be given up? How shall the fingers be unclasped from that bright cup which seems so full of happiness?

Says the worldling, "Surely the sacrifice need not be made yet! The world and its pleasures need not yet be exchanged for the cross of self-denial and sacrifice! Not yet! Not yet!"

But listen, dear reader, and if the words seem harsh--remember that they are the words of Him whose heart yearns with tenderness, pity, and compassion for the lost and the perishing:
  "No man can serve two masters. You cannot serve both God and Money." Matthew 6:24
  "If any man loves the world--the love of the Father is not in him."
  "Friendship with the world is enmity with God."

What shall we say to these things? Shall we, speak peace to you--when there is no peace? Shall we flatter you with the hope that all may yet be well? Shall we point you to a crown of unfading glory--while your heart still rebels against the light and easy yoke of the Crucified One? Nay!

Rather would we remind you of the solemn warning, that "The end of these things is death!" A day will come when your eye will grow dim, and the death-damp gather on your brow, and your feet enter the dark valley. Where, then, will be your hope? Where, then, will be your refuge?

And when that day has passed, and another, yet more terrible, has dawned--when the eternal throne shall be set, and the books opened, and the dead, small and great, stand before God--then where will you conceal yourself, that you will not hear the awful sentence, "Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into everlasting fire!"

It is because we would save you from such a fearful doom--a doom which, as surely as the Word of God is true, will overtake all, however naturally amiable and cordial they may be, yet reject the Savior's offered mercy--that we would earnestly entreat you in Christ's stead, "Be reconciled to God!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: August 24, 2016, 06:40:35 PM »

He prayed earnestly!

(Frederick Marsh)

"Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly . . . " James 5:17

The thing which made Elijah pray as he did, was the man that he was. When our Great High Priest comes with the lighted torch of His grace, and ignites the wood of our being into a holy flame--then the sweet-smelling fragrance of our requests ascend acceptably to God, and bring down the benediction of His love.

The art of prayer, is a sense of desperate need! There must be a sense of need, and an earnest desire to have that need met.
"Prayer is the soul's sincere desire,
 Uttered or unexpressed,
 The motion of a hidden fire,
 That trembles in the breast."

Prayer is a sin-killer. No one can sin and pray; for prayer will either make us cease from sin--or sin will make us cease from prayer.

Prayer is a power-bringer. It is the hand which touches the hem of the garment of Divine grace, and causes the life which is in the Divine One to flow into us.

Prayer is a victory-giver. Bunyan's Christian found that the weapon of "all-prayer" was sufficient to wound and defeat the adversary who would stop him in his progress as a pilgrim.

Prayer is a holiness-promoter. It is like the gentle dew which falls upon the thirsty plants and causes them to be refreshed and to fructify.

Prayer is a dispute-adjuster. Let any two brethren who are at loggerheads get on their knees, and ask the Lord about any disputed matter--and they will find the Lord saying to their troubled spirits, "Peace, be still."

Prayer is an obstacle-remover, as Peter found when an angel came in answer to the prayers of the saints, and delivered him from the prison of Herod's hate.

Prayer is a Christ-revealer, for it clarifies our vision, and enables us to see unseen spiritual realities.

Prayer is the secret of a holy life! We cannot do without prayer. The spiritual life is born in prayer--and it flourishes, and is strong, as it lives in that same atmosphere!

It is not the arithmetic of our prayers--how many they are;
 nor the rhetoric of our prayers--how eloquent they are;
 nor the geometry of our prayers--how long they are;
 nor the music of our prayers--how sweet our voice may be;
 nor the logic of our prayers--how proper they may be;
 nor the method of our prayers--how orderly they may be;
 nor even the theology of our prayers--how good the doctrine may be,
which God cares for. It is only fervency in prayer, which will make a man prevalent with God. Fervent prayer hits the mark, and pierces the walls of Heaven! "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much!" James 5:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: August 27, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »

He shall bring forth from us the sweet music!

(Frederick Marsh)

Mendelssohn, on one occasion, hearing an organ being played--asked permission to play it for a few minutes. The organist reminded Mendelssohn that he was a total stranger to him--and that strangers were not allowed to touch the valuable instrument.

At last permission granted, and then Mendelssohn brought forth such music from the organ as to make the organist weep! Ah! But before the music came forth, there were two things necessary:
  the first was, the instrument had to be abandoned to Mendelssohn;
  and the second, Mendelssohn had to take control of it.

The same is true with us in the spiritual realm. There must be the entire surrender to Christ first--and then He shall bring forth from us the sweet music of . . .
   a holy heart,
   a lovely character,
   a gentle disposition,
   a surpassing peace,
   a sweet humility,
   a lowly service,
   a beautiful sympathy,
   and a Christlike life!

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship!" Romans 12:1

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: August 27, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »

His testing room of suffering!

(John MacDuff)

"I have tested you in the furnace of affliction!" Isaiah 48:10

I stood once in the test room of a great steel mill. All around me were little partitions and compartments. Steel had been tested to the limit, and marked with figures that showed its breaking point. Some pieces had been twisted until they broke, and the strength of torsion was marked on them. Some had been stretched to the breaking point, and their tensile strength indicated. Some had been compressed to the crushing point, and also marked. The master of the steel mill knew just what these pieces of steel would stand under strain. He knew just what they would bear if placed in a great ship, or building, or bridge. He knew this, because his testing room revealed it.

It is often so with God's children. God does not want us to be like fragile vases of glass or porcelain. He would have us like these toughened pieces of steel--able to bear twisting and stretching and crushing to the uttermost, without collapse.

He wants us to be, not hot-house plants--but storm-beaten oaks. He wants us to be, not sand dunes driven with every gust of wind--but granite rocks withstanding the fiercest storms! To make us such, He needs to bring us into His testing room of suffering.

Many of us need no other argument than our own experiences to prove that suffering is indeed God's testing room of faith. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds--because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2-3

"When He has tested me--I will come forth as gold!" Job 23:10

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: August 27, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »

Desires after Christ!

(John Flavel, "The Fountain of Life" 1691)

"Yes, He is altogether lovely! This is my Beloved, and this is my Friend!" Song of Songs 5:16

"Whom have I in Heaven but you? Earth has nothing I desire besides You!" Psalm 73:25

Christ is the very essence of all delights and pleasures--the very soul and substance of them! As all the rivers are gathered into the ocean, which is the meeting-place of all the waters in the world--so Christ is that ocean in which all true delights and pleasures meet!

Are our desires for Christ ARDENT? Has Christ the supreme place in our hearts? Do we esteem all things but dung that we may win Christ and be found in Him?

Are our desires for Christ UNIVERSAL? Is everything about Christ desirable in our eyes? The hypocrite is for a divided Christ. The true believer loves . . .
  both His government and His grace,
  both His sovereignty and His mercy,
  both His Lordship and His priesthood.

Do our desires after Christ lead us to EFFORT--to use all the means of grace to accomplish His will?
He is revealed in His Word--do we read it?
He is preached in the gospel--do we hear it?
He will be found by those who seek Him--do we earnestly seek Him?

Are our desires after Christ PERMANENT--or only a sudden fit of emotion, fear or impulse? If our hearts and our longing for communion with Him--we will only be satisfied when we awake with His likeness. Nothing that this world affords can possibly take us from this goal!

Do our desires after Christ spring from a DEEP SENSE OF OUR NEED of Christ? Has conviction of sin opened our eyes . . .
  to see our misery,
  to feel our burden of sin,
  to understand our inability, and
  to make us sensible that the only remedy lies in the Lord Jesus Christ?
Bread and wine are made necessary by hunger and thirst. Christ is only precious to those who need Him!

"My soul yearns for You in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for You!" Isaiah 26:9

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: August 29, 2016, 02:24:59 AM »

Lord, smite this sin!

(Thomas Watson, "The Godly Man's Picture Drawn with a Scripture Pencil)

"Your Word is completely pure, and Your servant loves it." Psalm 119:140

Do we love the holiness of the Word? The Word is preached--to beat down sin, and advance holiness. Do we love it for its spirituality and purity? Many love the Preached Word only for its eloquence and notion. They come to a sermon as to a performance (Ezekiel 33:31,32) or as to a garden to pick flowers--but not to have their lusts subdued or their hearts purified. These are like a foolish woman who paints her face--but neglects her health!

Do we love the convictions of the Word? Do we love the Word when it comes home to our conscience and shoots its arrows of reproof at our sins? It is the minister's duty sometimes to reprove. He who can speak smooth words in the pulpit--but does not know how to reprove, is like a sword with a fine handle, but without an edge! "Rebuke them sharply!" (Titus 2:15). Dip the nail in oil--reprove in love--but strike the nail home!

Now Christian, when the Word touches on your sin and says, "You are the man!"--do you love the reproof? Can you bless God that "the sword of the Spirit" has divided between you and your lusts? This is indeed a sign of grace, and shows that you are a lover of the Word.

A corrupt heart loves the comforts of the Word--but not the reproofs: "You hate the one who reproves--and despise him who tells the truth!" (Amos 5:10). "Their eyes flash with fire!" Like venomous creatures that at the least touch, spit poison! "When they heard these things, they were enraged in their hearts and gnashed their teeth at him!" (Acts 7:54). When Stephen touched their sins--they were furious and could not endure it.

How shall we know that we love the reproofs of the Word?

When we desire to sit under a heart-searching ministry. Who cares for medicines that will not work? A godly man does not choose to sit under a ministry that will not work upon his conscience.

When we pray that the Word may meet with our sins. If there is any traitorous lust in our heart--we would have it found out, and executed! We do not want sin covered--but cured!

When we can open our heart to the sword of the Word and say, "Lord, smite this sin!"

When we are thankful for a reproof. "Let a righteous man strike me--it is a kindness; let him rebuke me--it is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it." (Psalm 141:5). David was glad for a reproof.

Suppose a man were in the mouth of a lion, and another should shoot the lion and save the man--would he not be thankful? Just so, when we are in the mouth of sin, as of a lion, and the minister by a reproof shoots this sin to death--shall we not be thankful?

A gracious soul rejoices, when the sharp lance of the Word has pierced his abscess of sin! He wears a reproof like a jewel on his ear: "Like an earring of gold or an ornament of fine gold is a wise man's rebuke to a listening ear." (Proverbs 25:12).

To conclude, it is convicting preaching which must do the soul good. As a nipping frost prepares for the sweet flowers of spring--so a nipping reproof prepares the soul for comfort!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: August 29, 2016, 02:26:07 AM »

The cup of wrath!

(Andrew Bonar, "The Cup of Wrath!")

"In the hand of the LORD is a cup full of red wine mixed with spices! He pours it out, and all the wicked of the earth drink it down to its very dregs!" Psalm 75:8

There has been only One who has ever drunk this cup down to its very dregs!

Cain has been drinking it for 5,000 years and finds that his punishment greater than he can bear--but has not come to the dregs.

Judas had been drinking it for some 2000 years, often crying out with a groan that shakes Hell, "Oh that I had never been born! Oh that I had never seen or heard of the Lord Jesus Christ!" But he has not reached the dregs.

The fallen angels have not come near the dregs!

The only One who has taken, tasted, drunk, and wrung out the bitterest of the bitter dregs--has been the Judge Himself, the Lord Jesus!

You know how often, when on earth, He spoke of it. "Are you able to drink the cup that I shall drink of?" (Matthew 20:22). "The cup which My Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?" (John 18:11).

The universe saw Him with it at His lips. It was our cup of trembling--the cup in which the wrath due to His people was mixed. What wrath, what woe! A few drops made Him cry, "Now is my soul deeply troubled!" In the garden, the sight of it wrung out the strange, mysterious words, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death!" Though God-man, He staggered at what He saw, and went on trembling.

The next day, on Calvary, He drank it all! I suppose the three hours of darkness may have been the time when He was drinking it down the very dregs; for then arose from His broken heart, the wail which so appealed to the heart of the Father, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me!" As He drank the last drop, and cried out, "It is finished!" we may believe that the holy angels felt an inconceivable relief--and even the Father Himself! So tremendous was the wrath and curse!--the wrath and curse due to our sin!

Jesus drank that cup as the substitute for His innumerable people, who were given to Him by the Father; and thereby freed them from ever tasting even one drop of that fierce wrath, that "cup of red wine, mixed with spices," with its dregs--its unknown terrors!

"Death and the curse were in our cup,
 O Christ, 'twas full for Thee!
 But Thou hast drained the last dark drop,
 'Tis empty now for me!"

"Once it was mine, that cup of wrath,
 And Jesus drank it dry!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: September 02, 2016, 03:30:17 PM »

The Minimum Christian!

(C.H. Spurgeon, "Sword and the Trowel" 1876)

The minimum Christian! And who is he? The Christian who is going to heaven at the cheapest rate possible. The Christian who intends to get all of the world he can--and not meet the worldling's doom. The Christian who aims to have as little religion as he may--without lacking it altogether.

The minimum Christian goes to worship in the morning; and in the evening also--unless it rains, or is too warm, or too cold, or he is sleepy, or has the headache from eating too much at dinner. He listens most respectfully to the preacher, and joins in prayer and praise. He applies the truth very judiciously--sometimes to himself, oftener to his neighbors.

The minimum Christian is very friendly to all good works. He wishes them well, but it is not in his power to do much for them. The Sunday-school he looks upon as an admirable institution--especially for the neglected and ignorant. It is not convenient, however, for him to take a class--his business engagements are so pressing during the week that he needs the Sabbath as a day of rest; nor does he think himself qualified to act as a teacher. There are so many persons better prepared for this important duty--that he must beg to be excused. He is very friendly to home and foreign missions, and colportage, and gives his mite--but he is quite unable to aid in the management, for his own concerns are so excessively important. He thinks there are "too many appeals;" but he gives, if not enough to save his reputation, pretty near it--at all events he aims at it, and never overshoots the mark.

The minimum Christian is not clear on a number of points. The opera and dancing, the theater and card-playing, and large fashionable parties give him much trouble. He cannot see the harm in this, or that, or the other popular amusement. There is nothing in the Bible against it. He does not see why a Christian may not dance or go to the opera. He knows several excellent persons who do so--at least, so he says. Why should not he? He stands so close to the dividing-line between the people of God and the people of the world--that it is hard to say on which side of it he is actually to be found.

Ah, my brother, are you making this attempt? Beware, lest you find at last that in trying to get to Heaven with a little religion--you miss it altogether; lest without gaining the whole world--you lose your own soul. True godliness demands self-denial and cross-bearing--and if you have none of these, you are making a false profession!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: September 02, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »

How has the fine gold become dim!

(Hetty Bowman, "Separation From the World" 1861)

If some of the holy men of a former generation could once more return to the scene of their labors and sorrows--what would they find among those who profess to follow in their steps? Would they witness . . .
  the same decision,
  the same faithfulness,
  the same unyielding adherence to principles which involve contempt and scorn,
  the same resolute separation from everything that is even questionable in its tendency
--which characterized their own walk in the world?

Would they not rather be grieved by the levity, the trifling, the inconsistency which are too often displayed--even by those whose names are enrolled in the list of professing Christians?

Would they not be amazed at the slender barrier which divides those who are in the world--from those who say that they have renounced it?

Would they not be bewildered by the strange mixture of good and evil which is presented by many who bear the name of Christ; one day to be found in the committee-room of some religious society--and the next day at a dance; one day at a prayer-meeting--and the next day at a concert?

Deeply would their hearts be saddened by these things, and mournfully would they exclaim, "How has the fine gold become dim!"

It is to be feared that the religion of the day is, in many respects, of too easy a nature. We know . . .
  little of sacrifice,
  little of deliberate counting the cost,
  little of forsaking all for Christ's sake!

Truly the Church of God in these latter days, has need to watch that she be not found lingering in the plains of Sodom--instead of pressing forward, with girded loins and hastening step, to the Zoar which she has set out to seek.

Let her take heed, lest He who "walks in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks," visits her suddenly with the rod of His wrath--and lest her slumber be broken by the unlooked-for coming of the Bridegroom!

Believer! Seek to know your place in your Father's heart of love--and then no earthly thing will tempt you thence. Oh, leave the broken cisterns of this poor world, which can never quench your spirit's fevered thirst. Cast yourself upon the fullness of God's grace and mercy, and pray that His own hand may satisfy you with the riches that are treasured up in Christ!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: September 02, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »

Break the chains of this ensnaring habit!

(Hetty Bowman, "Life--its Duties and Discipline" 1861)

"The time is short!" 1 Corinthians 7:29

"Redeeming the time!" Ephesians 5:16

We believe that, to go back to the good old custom of calling things by their right names--the charge of idleness might very truthfully be brought against many professors. I mean the habitual wasting of the fragments of time, "Those parings of precious time--those leavings of days and remnants of hours, which so many sweep out into the waste of existence!"

We feel constrained, in all Christian faithfulness, to lift up our voice against this great evil. It is more than an evil--it is a sin most displeasing in the sight of God! It mars the usefulness, and leaves an unsightly blemish on the character of many an otherwise lovely Christian. It will demand a solemn reckoning in the great day of account. You have no more right, reader, to the time which you thus foolishly and sinfully squander--than you have to your neighbor's goods. Time is not your own, nor was it given you to be employed as you yourself think proper. It is a trust committed to you by God! Oh, see that you do not abuse it! You are wasting what millions, now in the regions of eternal despair, would give worlds to buy back again--what you yourself will regret with tears of bitter repentance, when, on a deathbed, you look back upon a life in which so little has been done.

Be warned! Break the chains of this ensnaring habit before they are wound so closely about you that you cannot get free from them! Remember that every day these chains of indolence are riveted more firmly. They are light and easy now--but before long, they will grow into iron fetters! Your only hope of safety is in casting them from you at once, with the determination of a renewed will, and the heaven-imparted strength given to all who truly seek it.

Remembering that you were not "redeemed with corruptible things such as silver and gold, but with the precious blood of Christ"--you should pass the time of your sojourning here as strangers and pilgrims, looking for a better  country--a heavenly one!

A Christian's fingers need never be unoccupied. He may always have on hand some profitable reading--to fill up the little moments that might otherwise run to waste. Idleness is, more than anything else (considered in connection with the consequences to which it often leads) disgraceful to a Christian!

"Tis not for man to trifle! Life is brief,
 And sin is here.
 Our age is but the falling of a leaf,
 A dropping tear.
 We have no time to sport away the hours,
 All must be earnest in a world like ours.

"Not many lives, but only one, have we,
 One, only one!
 How sacred should that one life ever be,
 That narrow span!
 Day after day filled up with blessed toil,
 Hour after hour still bringing in new spoil."
       Horatius Bonar

"So teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom!" Psalm 90:12

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: September 02, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »

Satan promises the best--but pays with the worst!

(Thomas Brooks)

"The wages of sin is death--but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord!" Romans 6:23

Satan promises the best--but pays with the worst!
He promises honor--and pays with disgrace.
He promises pleasure--and pays with pain.
He promises profit--and pays with loss.
He promises life--and pays with death.

But God pays as He promises--all His payments are made in pure gold!

"You have made known to me the path of life! You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand!" Psalm 16:11

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: September 03, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »

Few and fleeting and uncertain!

("Every Day!" Author unknown, 1872)

"Show me, O LORD, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before You. Each man's life is but a breath! Selah." Psalm 39:4-5

"So teach us to number our days--that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom!" Psalm 90:12

You alone, O Lord, can teach to profit--help me to number my days aright!

Surely my days are few and fleeting and uncertain! Days past are gone beyond recall--and my future days I cannot number. Let me then this day, and day by day, confide in You--and look to You for the very help and grace I need.

Surely it is the highest wisdom to renounce self, to cleave to Christ, and to keep the great end of my being in view--"to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." This is an object worth living for, and which may well engage all the powers of my mind.

Nor let me suppose that it is needful to turn aside from the occupations of my daily life to honor the God of my salvation; for He teaches me that whether I eat or drink, or whatever I do--I may do all to His glory. To this then may I apply my heart, with all diligence and constancy--constrained by the love of Him who gave Himself for me!

"Every day I will bless You--and I will praise Your name forever and ever!" Psalm 145:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: September 06, 2016, 05:17:38 PM »

Ah, here it is that I am most at fault!

"What do you think of Christ?" Matthew 22:42

I am ashamed of my thoughts of Him--they are so poor, and so unworthy of Him. He is so great, and so glorious, and so good, and so gracious--that I cannot think of Him as I desire to.

Do you inquire what I think of His person? He is the chief among ten thousand, and the altogether lovely One! He unites in Himself, Deity and Manhood--
"All human beauties--all Divine,
 In my Beloved meet and shine!"

Do you ask what I think of His work? It is perfect! His obedience is spotless! His atonement is complete! His work of redemption is accomplished, "It is Finished!"

Do you ask what I think of His love? Ah, here it is that I am most at fault--and no wonder, for His love surpasses knowledge! Its height and depth, its length and its breadth--are immeasurable! His love is free, unchanging, and eternal. It is unparalleled--it is Dying love! He loved me--and gave Himself for me! Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends--but Jesus laid down His life for His enemies! "Christ died for the ungodly!" Romans 5:6

"May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully!" Ephesians 3:19

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: September 06, 2016, 05:18:46 PM »

Later you will understand!

"You do not realize now what I am doing--but later you will understand." John 13:7

Peter could not apprehend the design of our Lord in washing the disciples' feet, and impatiently expressed his surprise, "You shall never wash my feet!" Our gracious Savior in effect replied, "Wait a little, Peter--and you will see the reason for My doing so. You do not realize now what I am doing--but later you will understand."

How often are we impatient when we cannot at once see the design of the Lord's dealings with us. Sometimes, when events run contrary to our desires and expectations--we are ready, like Jacob, to say, "All these things are against me!" While in reality, none of them are against us--but all are, in a wonderful way, working together for our good.

Oh for more confidence in Him who, in infinite wisdom, is so ordering the circumstances of our lives as to promote our spiritual welfare here--and our eternal advantage in the world to come.

Even in the present life, the Lord sometimes shows us the meaning of His past dealings with us, and convinces us that when He was leading us in a rough path--He was leading us by the right way towards the city of habitation.

"Blind unbelief is sure to err,
 And scan His work in vain!
 God is His own interpreter,
 And He will make it plain!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: September 06, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »

My times are in Your hand!

"My times are in Your hand!"  Psalm 31:15

Is not this truth a joy to you, my soul?

It would be a sorry thing for me if my times were in my own hands--and it would afford me little satisfaction if my times were in an angel's hands. How restful should I be in knowing that they are in Savior's nail-pierced hands!
He sees the end from the beginning.
He knows how to apportion my sorrows and my joys.
He knows what to give--and what to withhold.
He knows also when to give--and when to take away.

But, alas! how often is my heart mistrustful--how often have I murmured under the trying dispensations of His providence! O my soul, be ashamed and confounded--be humbled in the dust that you should ever call in question the wisdom or kindness of the dealings of Him who so loved you as to give His life for your redemption!

Help me, O God of my salvation, henceforth, with childlike confidence and peaceful trust--to yield all to You, and to rejoice in the assurance that "My times are in Your hand!"

"My times are in Your hand;
 Why should I doubt or fear?
 My Father's hand will never cause
 His child a needless tear!"

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the