Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 354853 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: April 19, 2016, 01:32:40 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

Our only rule of faith and practice!

(Don Fortner)

Our only rule of faith and practice is the Word of God. We have . . .
  no creed to defend,
  no denomination to maintain, and
  no confession to bind our minds.

"What do the Scriptures teach?" That is and must be our only concern. If the plain teachings of Holy Scripture appear to destroy or contradict our understanding of any doctrine--then let us relinquish the doctrine, or acknowledge the fact that our minds are both depraved and minuscule--and bow to the revelation of God.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: April 20, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »

The black horse of trouble!

(Don Fortner)

"He led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation." Psalm 107:7

Oh, how merciful, how gracious, how wise, how good our God is to His redeemed people! How gracious He has been to our souls in hedging up our way, bringing into our lives disappointments, pains, afflictions, and sorrows--by which He has sweetly and irresistibly forced us to return to Him!

No trial endured by God's child would ever cause a murmuring thought to rise in his heart--if he knew God's reason for sending it. God's way always leads His chosen people in this world, through a dark, troubling wilderness--but God's way is always "the right way."

Within the rough shell of sorrow, we find a sweet kernel of grace.

Even when His providence brings great pain and sorrow--our heavenly Father's eye is ever watching over us to do us good.

Our heavenly Father often sends his tender mercies, on the black horse of trouble!

As winter prepares the earth for spring--so our afflictions prepare our souls for glory!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: April 21, 2016, 05:26:27 PM »

A remedy against all our troubles!

(Thomas Watson, "The Art of Divine Contentment")

"I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content--whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need." Philippians 4:11-12

Contentment sweetens every condition.

Christ turned the water into wine. Just so, contentment turns the bitter waters of Marah, into spiritual wine.

Contentment is a flower which does not grow in every garden.

You would think it were excellent, if I could prescribe a remedy or antidote against poverty. Behold, here is that which is more excellent--for a man to be poor, and yet have enough! Contentment teaches a man how to abound--in the midst of poverty!

Have I but little? Yet it is more than I deserve.

Do I meet with some crosses? My comfort is, if they are heavy--I have not far to go!

My cross is light--in comparison with the weight of glory.

Has God taken away my comforts from me? It is well--the Comforter still abides with me.

Thus contentment, as a honeycomb, drops sweetness into every condition.

Discontent is a leaven which sours every comfort; it puts vinegar into every mercy; it doubles every cross. But the contented spirit sucks sweetness from every flower of providence. Contentment is full of consolation.

Contentment is . . .
  a remedy against all our troubles,
  an alleviation to all our burdens,
  the cure of to every worry.

As medicine works disease out of the body--so contentment works trouble out of the heart. Holy contentment keeps the heart from fainting. Contentment is the golden shield, which beats back all discouragements.

Contentment, though it is  not properly a grace (it is rather, a disposition of mind,) yet in it there is a happy mixture of all the graces. Contentment is a most precious compound! The ingredients put into it are faith, patience, meekness, humility, etc.

Wicked men are often disquieted in the enjoyment of all things.
But the contented Christian is joyful in the lack of all things! He may have little in the world--yet be perfectly content.

O the rare art, or rather--miracle of contentment!

A Christian finds contentment distilled out of the breasts of the promises. He is poor in purse--but rich in promise. There is one promise which brings much sweet contentment into the soul: "Those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing." (Psalm 34:10) If the thing we desire is good for us--we shall have it. If it is not good--then the not having is good for us. The resting satisfied with the promise, gives contentment.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: April 22, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »

A man after the devil's own heart!

(George Lawson, "A Practical Exposition of the Book of Proverbs" 1821)

"A malicious man disguises himself with his lips, but in his heart he harbors deceit! Though his speech is charming, do not believe him, for seven abominations fill his heart!"  Proverbs 26:24-25

An angry man is dangerous--but, if you are on your guard, the danger will soon be over.

The malicious man is far worse, and much more dangerous, for his hatred ferments in his heart, and in the mean time, he is projecting methods for wreaking his malevolence in such a manner as will be safest to himself, and most hurtful to its object. He is not like the dog that barks before it bites--otherwise you might stand to your own defense. But he is a dog that fawns upon you, and, when you are never dreaming of it, viciously attacks you, and inflicts an unexpected and dangerous wound.

Solomon warns you that your safety lies in refusing to trust him, even when he makes the largest professions of friendship. When he speaks charming words, believe him not, although he should swear to the truth of all he says. If you have any reason, from your knowledge of a man's character, or from his former behavior, to think that he is one of this stamp, and capable of such wicked conduct--his ardent professions of love should rather confirm than remove your suspicions of him. For the darkest designs are always covered under the greatest shows of virtue and friendship.

You may as safely believe the devil himself, as one who joins malignity of heart with flattery and caresses--for he is a man after the devil's own heart! His character is a compound of all those vices of the blackest and the vilest kind, which make a consummate villain, and render a man a disgrace to human nature, by his exact resemblance to those infernal fiends who are to be dreaded equally for their malice and subtlety.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: April 23, 2016, 06:34:11 PM »

God's love-tokens!

(Thomas Brooks, "Mute Christian under the Smarting Rod" 1659)

"It was good for me to be afflicted, so that I might learn your decrees!" Psalm 119:71

A gracious soul secretly concludes: As stars shine brightest in the night--so God will make my soul shine and glisten like gold, while I am in this furnace--and when I come out of the furnace of affliction. "He knows the way that I take; and when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold!" Job 23:10

Surely, as the tasting of honey opened Jonathan's eyes--so this cross, this affliction, shall open my eyes. By this stroke, I shall come to have a clearer sight of my sins, and of myself, and a fuller sight of my God!

Surely this affliction shall proceed in the purging away of my dross!

As surely as plowing the ground kills the weeds, and harrowing breaks hard clods--so these afflictions shall kill my sins, and soften my heart!

As surely as the plaster draws out the infectious core--so the afflictions which are upon me shall draw out . . .
  the infectious core of pride,
  the infectious core of self-love,
  the infectious core of envy,
  the infectious core of earthliness,
  the infectious core of formality,
  the infectious core of hypocrisy!

Surely by these afflictions, the Lord will crucify my heart more and more to the world--and the world to my heart!

Surely by these afflictions, the Lord will keep pride from my soul!

Surely these afflictions are but the Lord's pruning-knives, by which he will bleed my sins, and prune my heart, and make it more fertile and fruitful. They are the means by which He will rid me of those spiritual diseases and maladies, which are most deadly and dangerous to my soul!

Affliction is such a potion, as will carry away all soul-diseases, better than all other remedies!

Surely by these afflictions, I shall be made more a partaker of God's holiness!

As black soap makes white clothes--so does sharp afflictions make holy hearts.

Surely by these, God will communicate more of Himself unto me!

Surely by these afflictions, the Lord will draw out my heart more and more to seek Him! "In their afflictions they will seek me early!" Hosea 5:15. In times of affliction, Christians will industriously, speedily, early seek unto the Lord.

Surely by these trials and troubles, the Lord will fix my soul more than ever upon the great concernments of the eternal world!

Surely by these afflictions, the Lord will work in me more tenderness and compassion towards those who are afflicted!

Surely these afflictions are but God's love-tokens! "As many as I love--I rebuke and chasten!" Revelation 3:19. So says the holy Christian, "O my soul! be quiet, be still--all is sent in love, all is a fruit of divine favor."

Afflictions abase the carnal attractions of the world, which might entice us.

Affliction abates the lustiness of the flesh within, which might else ensnare us!

By all of the above, affliction proves to be a mighty advantage unto us.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: April 24, 2016, 06:09:18 PM »

HEAVEN!

(James Smith, "HEAVEN!" 1858.)

"You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand!" Psalm 16:11

HEAVEN! What is it?
It is . . .
  God's residence,
  the Savior's home,
  our Father's house,
  a paradise of pleasure,
  a temple of worship, and
  the residence of perfect purity and peace!

There . . .
  God unveils His glory,
  the Savior exhibits His charms,
  the angels perform their service, and
  the saints are entirely happy with their God.

In Heaven . . .
  sin is banished,
  holiness is perfected,
  life is a continual feast, and
  mortality is swallowed up in life!

From Heaven . . .
  all pain is banished,
  all enemies are excluded, and
  all causes of sorrow are shut out!

In Heaven . . .
  all our prayers are answered,
  all our desires are gratified, and
  all our needs are supplied.
There is no weeping, wailing, or wishing there.

In Heaven . . .
  our knowledge will be perfect,
  our happiness will be abiding,
  our pleasures will be ever new.

In Heaven we shall . . .
  see Jesus,
  be with Jesus, and
  be like Jesus, forever!

HEAVEN! Who are there?
All tried and tempted followers of Jesus are there.
All doubting and fearing disciples of Jesus are there.
All poor and despised believers are there.
Multitudes, who felt totally unworthy of such glory, and feared they would never reach the place--are there.

All who were chosen by the Father,
all who were redeemed by the Son, and
all who were sanctified by the Holy Spirit--are there.

HEAVEN! What do they enjoy there? Who can answer this question--but one who has been there; and he would need a new language to state, and new figures to represent the enjoyments of Heaven. They enjoy rest from their pains--and a full supply of all their needs. They enjoy perfect satisfaction, a fullness of joy, and pleasure forevermore. They see all that they believed, realize all that they hoped for, and possess all that they loved. They have . . .
  health--without sickness;
  pleasure--without pain;
  and holiness--without sin.
Every sense is gratified, every power is pleasurably employed--and they are perfectly and perpetually happy!

O Heaven, in you there is . . .
  no tempting devil,
  no ensnaring world,
  no indwelling corruption,
  no doubts, fears, or misgivings!
  And best of all, there is no sin!

O Heaven, in you I shall see my God, possess my Savior, and enjoy the fullness of the Holy Spirit! O my God, in Heaven I shall be satisfied--for I shall be with You, serving and enjoying You without weariness or cessation!

HEAVEN! Who will yet get to Heaven? Who? Ah, perhaps many we little think of! We shall miss many whom we expected to find there--and find many whom we never expected would reach that glorious place!

Who will go to Heaven? That poor man who is striving against sin, mourning over corruption, and loathing himself before God. That poor woman, who sighs because she sins, pants for perfect holiness, and clings to the cross of Jesus. Do you see that poor soul on his knees, confessing his transgressions, pleading for pardon, and seeking grace to sanctify his nature--he will go to Heaven. Do you see that lowly Christian, who is visiting the sick, pointing sufferers to the cross, and trying to alleviate human woe, out of love to Jesus--he will go to Heaven. Do you see that Sunday School teacher, who, after a hard week's work, is regularly in his class, speaking loving words, in tender tones, to win the little ones for the Savior--he will go to Heaven. Do you see that preacher who exalts Christ in his ministry, honors the gospel in his life, and travails in birth for souls--he will go to Heaven.

Heaven will be peopled by all who believe in Jesus, love the brethren, and worship God in Spirit and in truth. There will be a numberless multitude there--all deeply indebted to free mercy, washed in the Savior's blood, and sanctified by the Spirit's grace!

Reader, there is a way--but only one way to Heaven! Only those found in that way will ever reach it! You yourself, may be within an hour or two of either Heaven or Hell--do you know which? If called away suddenly--to which would you go? You have a Heaven to obtain, or a Hell to endure--to all eternity! Which shall it be? O that you were wise, that you properly realized this, that you would consider your latter end!

Heaven with all its glories--or Hell with all its horrors--must be your eternal portion! If you despise the Savior, make light of the Gospel, and neglect God's great salvation--then Hell, an eternal Hell, with all its unspeakable horrors--is your portion!

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined--what God has prepared for those who love Him!" 1 Corinthians 2:9

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: April 25, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »

It takes a long and painful process to purge it out!

(James Smith, "The Love of Christ! The Fullness, Freeness, and Immutability of the Savior's Grace Displayed!")

"I have refined you, but not as silver is refined. Rather, I have refined you in the furnace of suffering!" Isaiah 48:10

The love of Jesus will not preserve His people from trials--but rather, assures them of trials! All whom He loves--He chastens! He has a furnace to purge our dross, and refine our souls. His Word and the Spirit reveal to us our defilement and impurity--and His grace and providence co-operate to remove them. "I am the Lord God, who sanctifies you."

It is divine love which . . .
  prepares the furnace,
  kindles the flame,
  brings the Christian into it,
  superintends the whole process, and
  brings him out as gold, seven times purified!

"From all your filthiness and from all your idols, I will cleanse you!" He cleanses them in the laver of the Word by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit. But He also cleanses them by a variety of afflictive dispensations, through which He causes them to pass.

Our sin calls for trials--His love sends them!

Our nature repines at trials--but grace submits to them!

Our flesh is enraged at trials--but the Spirit sanctifies them to our good, and our Savior's glory.

He makes His people choice ones--in the "furnace of affliction!" He says, "I will put you into the fire--and will purely purge away your dross."

Believer, never repine at your trials, nor be over-anxious for their removal. They are appointed by Jesus as your Purifier--and are choice blessings in disguise!

Seek their sanctification,
wrestle with God that you may see His love in every stroke, and
look to Jesus that you may enjoy His presence when passing through the flame!

Nothing can hurt you--while Jesus is near you; and He is never nearer to you--than when you are in the furnace! For He sits right there as the Refiner . . .
  watching the process,
  regulating the heat, and
  waiting to effect a gracious deliverance--when the ends of His love are answered.

He is only preparing you for fresh manifestations of His glory--and fitting you for larger communications of His love.

In the furnace, you will lose nothing that is worth keeping--but you will obtain what is truly valuable!

The flesh and the soul need constant cleansings--for corruption is so deeply rooted in our nature, that it takes a long and painful process to purge it out! But in reference to the furnace, your Lord says, "The Lord did this to purge Israel's wickedness, to take away all her sin!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: April 26, 2016, 06:36:29 PM »

The more bloody--the more lovely!

(Thomas Watson, "The Loveliness of Christ")

"Yes, He is altogether lovely!" Song of Solomon 5:16

Lost men cannot see the stupendous beauty of Christ. All sparkling beauties are found in Him, but they lack eyes!

He is infinitely and superlatively lovely! All that we could ever say about Jesus falls infinitely short of His matchless worth. He is pure, unspotted beauty! There is an infinite resplendency, a sparkling luster to His beauty!

Jesus is most lovely in His sufferings, when He made an atonement for our sins. What, lovely in His sufferings? Lovely when He was buffeted, spit upon, and besmeared with blood?

Oh yes, He was most lovely upon the cross, when He showed most love to us.

He bled love at every vein!

Those drops were love drops!

The more bloody--the more lovely!

Oh how lovely ought a bleeding Savior be to our eyes! Let us wear this blessed crucifix always in our heart!

The cross of Christ is the key that opens paradise to us!

How beautiful is Christ on the cross!

The ruddiness of His blood, took away the redness of our guilt!

Christ's crucifixion, is our coronation!

He left His Father's bosom, that hive of sweetness, to come and live in this poor world. Truly, He exchanged the palace for the dunghill.

"The unsearchable riches of Christ!" Not even the angels can dig to the bottom of this mine! They adore Christ, being ravished with His amazing beauties!

Jesus is the very extract and quintessence of beauty. He is a whole paradise of delights!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:21 PM »

If God withheld His mercy

The holiest of men need preservation from the worst sins, for they are conscious that they might fall into the deepest mire of iniquity--if God withheld His mercy.

"Hold  me up--and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:117

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: April 30, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »

A dead dog sinner!

(David Eddmenson)

Upon arriving to services one Wednesday evening to my surprise there was an old, mangy, rejected, and forsaken dog sitting on the front porch of the church building. I was appalled and repulsed at the dog's sad appearance and horrible condition. This poor creature was in bad shape, yet all I can remember thinking was, "I wish this dog would go away."

I am so grateful that when my merciful, gracious, and compassionate Savior looked upon me, that His attitude was not like mine. "What is Your servant, that You should look upon such a dead dog as I am?" In my sight that poor dog was in bad shape--but how much worse do I, a dead dog sinner appear in God's sight?

"Christ died for the ungodly!" Romans 5:6

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: April 30, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »

What a hell must it be to his own soul!

"Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death!" Proverbs 19:18

How painful must it be to the heart of a parent who neglected the training of his child, to see the that child walk in the paths of wickedness. Every wicked act in such a child must be a wound in the heart of his cruel father, who by his cruel negligence, left his child to be a prey to the devil--and, carried captive by that cruel tyrant, to be employed in his hellish drudgery!

If the father lives to see him die in such a situation, what a hell must it be to his own soul! Even the agonies of a wounded conscience are unequal to the torment of reflecting that, in spite of all the obligations of nature--he allowed his poor child to be carried away by Satan to the Lake of Fire; where he is now justly cursing the parent who brought him into the world, because he never used the proper means for preventing that horrible misery, to which he is now reduced.

"He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him." Proverbs 13:24

"Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him." Proverbs 22:15

"Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death!" Proverbs 23:13-14

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: May 02, 2016, 08:08:39 PM »

Later you will understand!

(Edward Payson)

"You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." John 13:7

You shall see the reason of all the trials and temptations, all the dark and comfortless hours, all the long and tedious conflicts--and you will be convinced that not a sigh, not a single uneasy thought, was allotted to you without a wise and gracious design!

"God disciplines us for our good--that we may share in His holiness! No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it!" Hebrews 12:10-11

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: May 03, 2016, 08:04:06 PM »

You will make no advance in the divine life!

(Octavius Winslow, "Glimpses of truth as it is in Jesus")

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever!" Hebrews 13:8

You will make no advance in the divine life--if your eye is ever upon yourself instead of Christ.

What though the experience of today is the opposite of the experience of yesterday:
 yesterday all brightness--today all cloudiness;
 yesterday your soul like a well-tuned Psalm--today every string loosed and breathing no melody;
 yesterday, Jesus felt to be so near and precious--today not a loving emotion in your heart;
 yesterday, communion with God so sweet--today, none whatever;
 yesterday, desiring to walk uprightly, holily, and humbly--today detecting so much that is vacillating, weak, and vile.

Nevertheless, Jesus is not changed!
The work of Christ is the same.
Your acceptance in Him is the same.
His intercession in Heaven for you is the same.

So why are you so eager to fly to spiritual experiences for support, strength, and consolation--rising when they rise, falling when they fall--when all your standing, joy, peace, and hope are entirely outside of yourself, and are solely in Christ?

What though you change a thousand times in one day? He never changes!

God may vary His dispensations.
He may alter His mode of dealing.
He may change the nature of His discipline.
He may vary the lesson--but His loving-kindness and His truth are as unchangeable as His very being. He may dry up the earthly cistern--but He will never seal up the heavenly fountain! That will flow on in grace through all time, and in glory through all eternity!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: May 04, 2016, 07:03:03 PM »

The seeds of every sin are latent in our hearts!

(J.C. Ryle, Gospel of John)

Peter asked, "Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for You!"
Then Jesus answered, "Will you really lay down your life for Me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times!" John 13:37-38

These verses show us how much self-ignorance there may be in the heart of a true believer. We see Peter declaring that he was ready to lay down his life for his Master. We see his Master telling Peter that he would deny Him three times. And we all know how the matter ended. The Master was right--and Peter was wrong.

Let it be a settled principle in our religion, that there is an amount of weakness in all our hearts of which we have no adequate conception, and that we never know how far we might fall if we were tempted. We imagine sometimes, like Peter, that there are some wicked things which we could not possibly do. We look pitifully upon others who fall, and please ourselves in the thought that we would not have done so.

We know nothing at all. The seeds of every sin are latent in our hearts, even when renewed, and they only need occasion, or carelessness and the withdrawal of God's grace for a season--to put forth an abundant crop. Like Peter, we may think we can do wonders for Christ--and like Peter, we may learn by bitter experience that we have no power and strength at all.

The servant of Christ will do wisely to remember these things. "Let him that thinks he stands, take heed lest he fall." (1 Corinthians 10:12.) A humble sense of our own innate weakness, a constant dependence on the Strong for strength, a daily prayer to be preserved, because we cannot preserve ourselves--these are the true secrets of safety!

Let us watch jealously over our hearts, and beware of giving way to the beginnings of sin. Happy is he who fears always, and walks humbly with his God. The strongest Christian is the one who feels his weakness most, and cries most frequently, "Hold me up--and I shall be safe!" (Psalm 119:117.)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: May 05, 2016, 06:09:17 PM »

Saws and hammers!

(Letters of John Newton)

"Assyria--the rod of My anger!" Isaiah 10:5

Dear Mrs. Hannah More,
I consider all second causes and instruments--as mere saws and hammers in the Divine Workman's hands! They can neither give us pleasure nor pain--but as our Lord and Savior is pleased to employ them.

I am firmly assured that He has done, still does, and will do--all things well.

How little can we judge of this great drama of this world--by a single scene! But when we see the glorious outcome--how shall we love and praise and wonder!

As for myself, this old man of seventy-six is still favored with perfect health, and can still preach as loud, as long, and as often as formerly. He is still heard with acceptance and has cause to hope that the Lord blesses his ministry. "Oh to grace how great a debtor"--is the poor African blasphemer and profligate!

I am, my dear madam, your much obliged friend,
John Newton

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the