Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356145 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: November 13, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

The unseen Friend!

(George Everard, "Christian Living!" 1881)

"The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good!" Proverbs 15:3

"And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age!" Matthew 28:20

Try constantly to realize the nearness and the presence of your Lord. There is always someone in the room with you. The unseen Friend, the Lord Jesus, who has loved you with an everlasting love, who gave Himself to die for your sake--He is most truly, though invisibly, present. He is near you in loving-kindness, ready to help you and comfort you at all times. He sees and hears all--therefore cherish continually the sense of His presence. Believe that He is by your very side.

A man who sincerely believes the omnipresence of God, cannot be indifferent to sin. To realize that the moral Governor of the universe is ever near, in all His holiness and power, and as much present as if He were nowhere else, must awaken solicitude.

To the soul, reconciled to God, the doctrine is full of consolation. In every place, in every condition, to have with us an almighty Friend, is a source of unspeakable comfort and joy. We need not fear, though we pass through fire or flood, if God is with us. Even in the valley of the shadow of death, we may fear no evil. In every circumstance and trial, it conduces to holiness, to know that God is present.

"Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.
 I have called you by name; you are Mine!
 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.
 When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.
 When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up.
 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior!" Isaiah 43:1-3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: November 14, 2015, 05:48:09 PM »

The universal principle!

(George Everard, "The Right Principle!" 1866)

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do--do it all for the glory of God!" 1 Corinthians 10:31

This same principle is applicable in all common actions and every day affairs. No single moment of our lives, no single action--ought to be taken outside of the sphere of this rule.
Our rising up and lying down,
the disposal of our time,
the spending of our money,
our social gatherings,
our conversations,
our recreations,
the way of conducting the affairs of our household,
the books we read,
buying and selling,
business transactions of various kinds--
all these, and a multitude of other suchlike matters, are all to be ordered under the daily guidance of this same principle. We are to do all to glorify Him who is . . .
  our Creator,
  our Savior
  our Preserver,
  our most loving Father.

Reader, beware of neglecting to exercise this universal principle in little things. Great occasions for serving God occur but seldom; lesser ones arise every moment. Little things are not to be despised. "He who despises little things, shall fall little by little." Little omissions of duty, little acts of disobedience, as they may seem to us--may prove a great hindrance along our path. A few grains of dust, or a small insect in the eye, will often cause great pain and annoyance. A little stone in a horse's foot will make it stumble again and again.

The Christian will find much the same thing from the indulgence of apparently trivial sins. They will . . .
  harass the mind,
  destroy the peace and comfort which he might enjoy,
  prove a stumbling-block to him as he endeavors to run the heavenly race.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 15, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »

These church going atheists!

(Frank Hall)

"The fool says in his heart: There is no God!" Psalm 14:1

To deny the existence of God is to be an atheist--and all atheists are silly fools. However, those who profess to be atheists, and live according to their profession, are more honorable fools than the millions of painted hypocrites who profess faith in Christ and yet live like infidels! At least professing atheists are consistent fools! Atheists say that there is no God, and being true to their profession, they live as if there were no God. But there are untold multitudes of church goers who, in their pretentious religiosity, denounce atheism as an abomination--and yet they live just like atheists! These church going atheists are pathetic because they lack the honesty and courage to speak what they say with their lives and in their hearts every single day--that there is no God!

Men and women who say that they believe in God, and yet live like Hell, are atheists at heart--and that makes them the most foolish of all fools!
"I'm a drunk, but I believe in God.
 I'm a profane worldling, but I believe in God.
 I'm a vile, filthy fornicator, but I believe in God.
 I live like Hell, but I'm going to Heaven.
 I don't worship God, but I believe in God.
 I don't read the Bible or practice its teachings, but I love the God who wrote it."

Such stupid gibberish betrays the atheism that is bound up in the hearts of religious hypocrites around the world! If you want to know what someone believes, look past what they say, and just consider how they live. All who say that there is a God in the heavens, and yet refuse to honor God's Son, are nothing more than atheists masquerading as Christians.

I wonder, what does your life say? Does it prove your profession to be true--or blast it to pieces?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 16, 2015, 07:36:43 PM »

To walk with God, is to live ever as in His presence!

(George Everard, "Daily Walking!" 1866)

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account!" Hebrews 4:13

"The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good!" Proverbs 15:3

To walk with God, is to live ever as in His presence! To realize His presence, to abide continually under His eye, to recognize our Father as close by our side--is the secret of much peace. We must ever regard Him, not as if He were far away in some inaccessible abode--but nearer to us than our nearest friend. In our chamber, by the wayside, at our work, in our recreation, when mingling with others, or all alone--we must see One whom the world sees not, we must hear a voice that the world hears not.

In the life of the sweet Psalmist of Israel, the same truth was ever the joy of his heart. As he lay down to rest, it was his joy to know that the sleepless Guardian of His people was by him: "I will both lay me down in peace and sleep, for You O Lord alone make me to dwell in safety." As he arose, he still rejoiced in the almighty Friend who was ever near him: "When I awake, I am still with You." Surrounded by malicious foes, it is still his confidence, "You are near, O Lord." Under all the vicissitudes of his eventful life, the nearness of God was the rock on which he reposed: "I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved."

Whether beneath the eye of man or not, let all things be done under the eye of Him to whom . . . .
  all hearts are open,
  all desires known, and
  from whom no secrets are hidden!

A few plain principles have been given to assist us in carrying this out in daily practice:

Say nothing you would not like God to hear.

Do nothing you would not like God to see.

Write nothing you would not like God to read.

Go to no place where you would not like God to find you.

Read no book of which you would not like God to say, "Show it to Me."

Never spend your time in such a way that you would not like God to say, "What are You doing?"

To consciously live in God's presence, will aid us in cultivating thorough genuine piety and godly character.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 17, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »

A marvelous combination of all that is lovely and beautiful!

(George Everard, "Counsels to Christians on the Details of Every-day Life!" 1866)

"We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

In Christ is a marvelous combination of all that is lovely and beautiful. Whatever virtue or grace that was ever witnessed in another--was fully, preeminently in Him.
The faith of Abraham,
the godly fear of Isaac,
the meekness of Moses,
the patience of Job,
the holiness of Isaiah,
the devout prayerfulness of David,
the integrity of Daniel,
the sincerity of Nathanael,
the fervency of Peter,
the zeal of Paul,
the tenderness of John--
all these, in their brightest colors, shone forth in Him, who was full of grace and truth.
"Yes, He is altogether lovely! This is my Beloved, and this is my Friend!" Song of Songs 5:16

In our measure, let us follow Christ in this beautiful harmony of Christian graces. Let no part of His character be left out of sight. This coat of many colors which was worn by our Joseph--may be also upon us His brethren. "Leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps." 1 Peter 2:21

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: November 18, 2015, 06:27:04 PM »

A story is told of an old man who lived long ago!

(George Everard, "Daily Warfare!" 1866)

A story is told of an old man who lived long ago. A friend asked him the cause of his struggles, since in the evening he so often had great weariness. "Alas," answered he, "I have so much to do every day; I have . . .
  two falcons to tame,
  two hares to keep from running away,
  two hawks to manage,
  a serpent to confine,
  a lion to chain, and
  a sick man to tend and wait upon."

"Why, this is only folly," said the friend, "no man has all these things to do at once."

"Yet indeed," he answered, "it is with me just as I have said.

The two falcons are my two eyes, which I must diligently guard, lest something should please them which may be hurtful to my soul.

The two hares are my feet, which I must hold back, lest they should run after evil objects, and walk in the ways of sin.

The two hawks are my two hands, which I must train and keep to work, in order that I may be able to provide for myself and for my brethren who are in need.

The serpent is my tongue, which I must always keep in with a bridle, lest it should speak anything unfitting.

The lion is my heart, with which I have to maintain a continual fight, in order that vanity and pride may not fill it, but that the grace of God may dwell and work there.

The sick man is my own body, which is ever needing my watchfulness and care. All this daily wears out my strength!"

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him!" James 1:12 

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »

A marvelous invention!

(George Everard, "Daily Prayer!" 1866)

"And it shall be that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24

A marvelous invention is at work, by which, with great rapidity, messages can be conveyed from city to city, and from country to country. Even beneath the waves of the wide ocean, the cable is laid down by which one continent is linked to another, and by which words, in a few minutes, can be spoken to a friend on a distant shore.

Just so, true prayer links together earth and Heaven, and is more speedy than any telegraph (or phone--or computer! Editor). One moment it arises from a believer's heart--the very same moment it reaches the ears of the Lord Almighty!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 20, 2015, 05:35:10 PM »

The great balm of human woes!

(George Everard, "Daily Prayer" 1866)

"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray!" James 5:13

Prayer is the great balm of human woes! Go from house to house through a country village, or through a single street in a large town--and what a sad catalogue of sorrows you may reckon up!

In one, there is a dying parent--or a child fast sinking into the grave.

In another, there is dire and distressing poverty.

In a third, perhaps, there is a heart bleeding through some bitter disappointment, or the unfeeling conduct of a beloved one.

In a fourth, there is some secret sorrow which may not be told.

In every case, through prayer, relief may be found. By it the sorrowful, afflicted one comes near to a most pitiful Father, and His loving care becomes a sure rest to the weary spirit.

The excellencies of prayer may be summed up in the words of John Chrysostom:
"Prayer, in a spiritual sense, is . . .
  a haven to the shipwrecked man,
  an anchor to those who are sinking in the waves,
  a staff to the limbs that totter,
  a mine of jewels to the poor,
  a healer of diseases, and a guardian of health.
Prayer at once secures the continuance of our blessings, and dissipates the cloud of our calamities. O blessed prayer! You are . . .
  the unwearied conqueror of human woes,
  the firm foundation of human happiness,
  the source of ever-enduring joy,
  the mother of all comfort.
The man who can pray truly, though languishing in extreme indigence, is richer than all beside. While the wretch who never bowed the knee, though proudly seated as monarch of all nations, is of all men, most destitute!"

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need!" Hebrews 4:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: November 21, 2015, 06:18:40 PM »

Turn away from the lovely enchantress!

(J.A. James, "Faith's Victory over the World" 1852)

"Stop loving this evil world and all that it offers you--for when you love the world, you show that you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only the lust for physical pleasure, the lust for everything we see, and pride in our possessions. These are not from the Father. They are from this evil world." 1 John 2:15-16

Such is the world that assails the Christian, and which he must overcome--or perish eternally! "For everyone born of God overcomes the world." 1 John 5:4. The whole current of Scripture commands runs against the love of the world. In every possible form, it is forbidden.

Worldliness is the most thronged road to everlasting ruin!

Worldliness does not merely consist in an intense love of money, and an excessive eagerness to be rich--but in a supreme regard to that which is visible and temporal, whether these relate to the quiet scenes of domestic comfort, or to those elegancies, splendors, and accumulations of wealth, which lead a man to seek his highest bliss in these!

The world is a foe which attacks us in various places!
In the shop--by all the temptations incident to trade and wealth.
In the halls of politics and public business--by all the enticements to pride and ambition.
In the places of amusement--by all the soft blandishments of pleasure.
In the haunts of vice--by all the gratifications of the flesh.
In the walks of science and literature--by all the delights of intellectual gratification.
In the social circle--by all the enjoyments of friendship.
Oh, how many are the scenes where the world meets man and subdues him!

Sometimes the world approaches the believer with a smiling face, making promises and offering caresses, like the serpent to our first mother in the garden; or like Satan to our Lord when he said, "All these things will I give you--if you will fall down and worship me!" How difficult is it on such occasions to turn away from the lovely enchantress, to keep the eye steadily fixed on heavenly glories--and instead of greedily quaffing the cup of poisoned sweets, to dash it to the ground!

If immorality slays its thousands--the world slays its tens of thousands!

"Supreme love of the world" will as certainly lead its possessor to the bottomless pit--as the love of open vice!

Worldliness, I repeat, and repeat with emphasis, is . . .
  the smoothest,
  the most polished,
  the most fashionable,
  the most respectable
path to the bottomless pit!
The Christian is aware of his danger from the strength, subtlety, and ever-present activity of this enemy of his soul.

Victory over the world is subordination . . .
  of the creature to the Creator;
  of earth to heaven;
  of temporal blessings to spiritual ones;
  of time to eternity.

Victory over the world is the formation of an unearthly, spiritual, divine, and heavenly mind-set and character!

"It was the sight of Thy dear cross,
 First weaned my soul from earthly things;
 And taught me to esteem as dross,
 The mirth of fools and pomp of kings!"

How all the splendor of earthly things pales before that infinitely more resplendent object--Jesus!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: November 24, 2015, 04:59:36 PM »

The children of godly parents go to church every day!

(George Everard, "A Blessing in the Family!" 1866)

"Amaziah did what was right in the eyes of the LORD. In everything he followed the example of his father Joash." 2 Kings 14:3

The life of a godly parent is a daily sermon.

It has been said, "The children of godly parents go to church every day!"

Never doubt for a moment, that genuine piety and eminent holiness are the first requisites for all parents. No parent can expect to influence their children for good, without themselves walking wisely and worthily in the narrow path of holiness.

Here may be seen the reason that sound faithful teaching in Sunday schools, has comparatively effected so little good. It is not the fault of the church--but in the home's pernicious influence! The evil that is witnessed at home, more than counteracts the lessons learned at church!

It is the will of God that parents should exercise control over their children. They must command that which is right--and they must forbid that which is wrong. It was spoken to the praise of Abraham, that God knew that he would command his children after him to keep the way of the Lord. It was the overthrow of the house of Eli, that his sons made themselves vile--and he did not restrain them.

In Scripture children are compared to arrows--but all depends upon the direction given to the arrow by the hand that guides it.

They are compared to vine branches--but an unpruned vine will bear no fruit worth gathering. So it is written, "A child left to himself brings his mother to shame!"

In training their children, let parents begin early. Long before a child is two years old, it will know the meaning of an emphatic "No." Even at that tender age, some measure of discipline may begin.

Yield not to the self-will or pettishness of a child. What you once say--let it be law. Without some special cause--do not turn from it. Especially punish lying and disobedience--they are the root of all that is evil.

Yet with firmness, be very gentle. Harshness is a cold wind, that nips in the bud the beginnings of better things in the heart. Byron's character was ruined by the cruelty of a harsh and unfeeling mother.

Win your children by love. Draw, rather than drive.

Make home the happiest place in the world to them.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: November 24, 2015, 05:01:52 PM »

The Christliest life!

(J.R. Miller, "Christian Essentials")

"Give thanks in everything, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Thanksgiving should never be lacking in a Christian life. It is not enough to observe one day in the year for 'Thanksgiving' although that is a beautiful thing to do. Nor is it enough to put a sentence of thanksgiving into our daily prayers, although that, also, is proper.

It is the grateful spirit which pleases God, the spirit that is always full of praise. There should be a note of thanksgiving running through all our life.

Too many of us go to God only with . . .
  our requests,
  our burdens,
  our worries,
  our troubles
--while we but rarely go to Him with any word of thanks.

We are not to be thankful only for the pleasant and agreeable things that come into our days--we are to be thankful, too, for the things that appear to us to be adversities. "Give thanks in everything." That means . . .
  in the sad days--as well as in the glad days,
  when clouds are in the sky--as well as when the sunshine is pouring everywhere.

It is said here that this is the will of God for us. The Christliest life is the one that is always keyed to the note of praise and thanksgiving.

"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful!" Hebrews 12:28

"Overflowing with thankfulness!" Colossians 2:7

"At all times and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father!" Ephesians 5:20 

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: November 24, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »

Thanksgiving is never out of season!

(James Smith)

"In everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus!" 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Everything we enjoy, should be viewed as coming from the gracious and liberal hand of our sovereign God.

All was forfeited by our sin.

All that we receive is by His grace.

The providence that supplies us--is the wisdom, benevolence, and power of God in operation for us--as expressive of His infinite love and unmerited grace!

Our talents to provide supplies,
our opportunities to obtain them,
and our abilities to enjoy them,
--are alike from the Lord.

Every mercy increases our obligation--and deepens our debt to free grace!

Thanksgiving is never out of season, for we have always much to be grateful for.

We must view all things as . . .
  arranged by His wisdom,
  dependent on His will,
  sanctified by His blessing,
  according with His promises,
  and flowing from His love!

"In everything give thanks!" 1 Thessalonians 5:18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 25, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »

O, give thanks to the Lord!

(James Smith, "Sunny Subjects for All Seasons" 1858.)

"O, Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His mercy endures forever!" 1 Chronicles 16:34

O, give thanks to the Lord, Christian, for He has not dealt with you after your sins, nor rewarded you according to your iniquities! He has . . .
  pardoned your sins,
  justified your soul,
  renewed your nature, and
  given you a title to everlasting life!

He has thus . . .
  prevented your eternal ruin,
  borne with your faults and follies,
  supplied all your needs,
  guided your steps, and
  promised to conduct you to glory!
His mercy has been ever great toward you!

"O, Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His mercy endures forever!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: November 25, 2015, 06:10:24 PM »

In everything give thanks!

(Thomas Watson, "All Things for Good")

"We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

See what cause the saints have to be frequent in the work of thanksgiving! In this, Christians are defective; though they are much in supplication--yet they are little in thanksgiving. The apostle says, "In everything give thanks!" 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Why so? Because God makes everything work together for our good. We thank the physician, though he gives us a bitter medicine which makes us nauseated--because it is to make us well. We thank any man who does us a good turn; and shall we not be thankful to God--who makes everything work for good to us?

God loves a thankful Christian! Job thanked God when He took all away: "The Lord has taken away--blessed be the name of the Lord!" (Job 1:21). Many will thank God when He gives; Job thanks Him when He takes away, because he knew that God would work good out of it.

We read of saints with harps in their hands--an emblem of praise (Revelation 14:2). Yet we meet many Christians who have tears in their eyes, and complaints in their mouths! But there are few with their harps in their hands--who praise God in affliction.

To be thankful in affliction--is a work peculiar to a saint.
Every bird can sing in spring--but few birds will sing in the dead of winter!
Everyone, almost, can be thankful in prosperity--but a true saint can be thankful in adversity!

Well may we, in the worst that befalls us--have a psalm of thankfulness, because God works all things for our good. Oh, be much in giving thanks to God!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: November 27, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »

O take my all, this worthless heart, and make it wholly Thine!

And did the Holy and the Just,
    The Sovereign of the skies,
    Stoop down to wretchedness and dust,
    That guilty worms might rise?

Yes, the Redeemer left His throne,
    His radiant throne on high,
    (Surprising mercy! love unknown!)
    To suffer, bleed, and die!

He took the dying traitor's place,
    And suffered in his stead;
    For man (O miracle of grace!)
    For man the Savior bled!

Dear Lord, what heavenly wonders dwell
    In Your atoning blood!
    By this are sinners snatched from Hell,
    And rebels brought to God!

What glad return can I impart
    For favors so divine?
    O take my all, this worthless heart,
    And make it wholly Thine!
       Anne Steele, 1859

"Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever!" 1 Chronicles 16:34

"Let them give thanks to the LORD for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men." Psalm 107:8

"Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise.
 Give thanks to Him and praise His name.
 For the LORD is good and His love endures forever;
 His faithfulness continues through all generations." Psalm 100:4-5

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the