Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Poetry/Prose (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Grace Gems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 318 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grace Gems  (Read 356136 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: September 28, 2015, 07:04:22 PM »

FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.gracegems.org/

The gospel of Christ admits of no compromise!

(Jared Waterbury, "Advice to a Young Christian on the Importance of Aiming at an Elevated Standard of Piety")

"So then, any of you who does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple!" Luke 14:33

The gospel of Christ admits of no compromise. It demands our ALL. If it required less, it would be unworthy of its great author and finisher. I rejoice that it requires ALL--this is its glory. When we are brought to yield to its claims, and give up ALL--then, and not until then, will it throw around us its arms of mercy.

And do we talk about self-denial? Do we say, "It is hard to give up ALL!" I am ashamed to use such language--and ashamed to hear it used.

What did Christ give up for us? Let that question blot out "self-denial" from the Christian's vocabulary. When you think the Gospel makes severe requisitions by requiring ALL--go up to Mount Calvary and weep over such suggestions. See the blood of your Immanuel so freely gushing from a heart that never exercised towards you any emotion but love--love unspeakable--love unsought--and love for the guilty vile! Go hide your head in shame and penitence at such a thought.

It is a glorious privilege, my friend, to give up ALL to Christ. The soul that feels the constraining influence of His love, asks not how little may be given consistently with obtaining the heavenly reward--asks not for the lowest standard of discipleship. It burns with an ardent desire to devote ALL, and to aim at perfect "conformity to His death."

Determine, by the grace of God, that you will forsake all, and follow Christ. Do not, like Peter, follow Him afar off--but, like Mary, sit at His nail-pierced feet--like the beloved disciple John, rest upon His sweet bosom.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: September 30, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »

The most monstrous iniquity that could ever have been imputed to Saturn, to Janus, to the goddess of the Thugs!

(Charles Spurgeon)

"Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her!" Ephesians 5:25

"I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep." John 10:11

If Christ on His cross intended to save every man--then He intended to save those who were eternally lost before He died! If the doctrine of universal atonement is true, that He died for all men--then He died for some who were in Hell before He came into this world, for doubtless there were even then myriads there who had been cast away because of their sins.

Once again, if it was Christ's intention to save all men--then how deplorably has He been disappointed, for we have His own testimony that there is a lake which burns with fire and brimstone, and into that pit of woe have been cast some of the very persons who, according to the theory of universal redemption, were bought with His blood! That seems to me a conception a thousand times more repulsive than any of those consequences which are said to be associated with the Christian doctrine of special and particular redemption.

To think that my Savior died for men who were or are in Hell, seems a supposition too horrible for me to entertain. To imagine for a moment that He was the Substitute for all people, and that God, having first punished the Substitute, afterwards punished the sinners themselves--seems to conflict with all my ideas of divine justice. That Christ should offer an atonement and satisfaction for the sins of all men, and that afterwards some of those very men should be punished for the sins for which Christ had already atoned--appears to me to be the most monstrous iniquity that could ever have been imputed to Saturn, to Janus, to the goddess of the Thugs, or to the most diabolical heathen deities. God forbid that we should ever think thus of Jehovah, the just and wise and good!

We do not believe that Christ redeemed the damned. We do not believe that He poured out His life blood for souls already in Hell. We never can imagine that Christ suffered in the room and stead of all men, and that then afterwards these same men have to suffer for themselves.

We hold to this--that Christ laid down His life for His sheep, and secured the salvation of every one of them.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: September 30, 2015, 07:26:14 PM »

The great mistake made by most of the Lord's people!

(Arthur Pink, "The Doctrine of Sanctification" 1937)

"You are complete in Him!" Colossians 2:10

The poor Christian, conscious of his weakness, his ignorance, his poverty, his vileness--is sorely tempted to be envious of others, for they seem to have "more than heart could wish"--while the longings of his heart are denied him, and that which he pursues so eagerly continues to elude his grasp.

God's children are oppressed, sorely oppressed . . .
  by their indwelling corruptions,
  by their innumerable failures,
  by the hidings of the Lord's face,
  by the accusations of Satan,
  over the workings of unbelief,
  over the coldness of their hearts,
  over the insincerity of their prayers,
  over their vain imaginations.
The great mistake made by most of the Lord's people is in hoping to discover in themselves, that which is to be found in Christ alone.

"By His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption." 1 Corinthians 1:30

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: October 03, 2015, 05:53:27 PM »

The strongest Christian!

(J.C. Ryle)

Let us watch jealously over our hearts, and beware of giving way to the beginnings of sin. Happy is he who always fears God, and walks humbly with Him. The strongest Christian is the one who feels his weakness most, and cries most frequently, "Hold me up--and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:117

"And He said to me: 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong!" 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: October 03, 2015, 05:55:05 PM »

It is utterly impossible!

(Octavius Winslow, 1852)

It has been the distinctive aim, and the sincere desire of my ministry--to make known and to endear the Savior to your hearts.

Oh, how worthy is He . . .
  of your most exalted conceptions,
  of your most implicit confidence,
  of your most self-denying service,
  of your most fervent love!

When He could give you no more--and the fathomless depths of His love, and the boundless resources of His grace, would not be satisfied by giving you less--He gave you Himself!

Robed in your nature,
oppressed with your sorrows,
laden with your curse,
wounded for your transgressions,
and slain for your sins--
He gave His entire self for you!

His redeeming work now finished--He is perpetually engaged in meting out blessings to His people, from the exhaustless treasures of His love! He constantly woos your affection--invites your grief--and bids you to come with your daily trials to His sympathy, and with your hourly guilt to His blood. You cannot in your drafts upon Christ's fullness, be too covetous; nor in your expectations of supply, be too extravagant! You may fail, as, alas! the most of us do, in making too little of Christ--but you cannot fail, in making too much of Him!

It is utterly impossible to know Christ, and not become inspired with a desire . . .
  to love Him supremely,
  to serve Him devotedly,
  to resemble Him closely,
  to glorify Him faithfully here,
  and to enjoy Him fully hereafter!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: October 03, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »

The key of Death is in the Savior's hands!

(James Buchanan, "Comfort in Affliction" 1837)

"Do not be afraid! I am the First and the Last, the Ever-living One! I died--but see, I am alive forevermore! And I hold the keys of death and Hades (the realm of the dead)." Revelation 1:17-18

When it is affirmed that Jesus holds "the key of DEATH," it is plainly implied that none can pass out of this present world without His appointment. And, more generally, that He is lord of the living not less than of the dead, and has a thorough control over everything that can in any way affect the lives of men. An absolute power over death, necessarily presupposes a corresponding power over life and its affairs. And it is by the exercise of His providence in sustaining life--that He fulfills His purpose as to the time and mode of their departure hence.

Has the Redeemer the keys of death? Then this should mitigate the anxiety which often preys upon the mind when we look forward into futurity, and contemplate the prospect of our own death. We should remember, that as the Redeemer alone has the keys of death--nothing can happen to send us forth from the world before the time which He has appointed for our departure. Neither man nor devils can abridge the term of probation assigned to us by our gracious Master. Nor, until He is pleased to call us away, shall any power on earth or in Hell prevail against us. The Redeemer is possessed of absolute power over the course of our lives on earth--and over the time and manner of our departure out of the world.

No accident, no hostile violence, no insidious snare, no dark conspiracy--can touch our life--but by His command. And surely, when we reflect on the numerous dangers to which human life is exposed--the frailty of our frame--the diseases to which it is subject--our constant exposure to fatal accidents--the malice of open or concealed enemies--it must be consolatory to know, that the key of Death is in the Savior's hands, and that, come what may, we cannot be forced out of the world, until He opens the door and bids us to come to Him.

More especially, when we are visited with disease, and threatened with a speedy termination of life--the Savior's power over the keys of death should repress or assuage those violent anxieties as to the probability of death or of recovery--and those disquieting speculations as to the outcome of disease, and the mode of its treatment. For disease cannot kill, nor can medicine cure--without the appointment of Him who holds in His own hands the keys of life and of death! And if He has fixed the outcome of this disease--then why should we be anxious? If death is in our cup--that cup has been put into our hands at the time fixed by unerring wisdom and infinite love!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: October 04, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »

The great means of sanctification!

(Jared Waterbury, "Advice to a Young Christian on the Importance of Aiming at an Elevated Standard of Piety")

"Sanctify them by Your truth. Your Word is truth." John 17:17

The Scriptures are the great means of sanctification. This is the charm which so much attracts the pious heart. That heart is not insensible to the elegance of scriptural style, nor indifferent to its bold and beautiful imagery--but these are not the principal attractions. The Bible is the Word of God!
It convinces of sin.
It stimulates to duty.
It rouses from sluggishness.
It warns against danger.
It unfolds the character of God.
It reveals the way of salvation.
It delineates the providence of God.
It presents the Lamb of God slain for our transgressions.
It communicates sweet strains of spiritual devotion.
It brings into view a bright and eternal reward.
It discloses the wounds of our nature, and offers the healing balm.

In short, it embodies all that a Christian in his pilgrimage can need.
It is his only chart through this tempestuous life.
In trouble--it is his consolation.
In prosperity--it is his monitor.
In difficulty--it is his guide.
Amid the darkness of death, and while descending into the shadowy valley--it is the day-star that . . .
   illuminates his path,
   makes his dying eye bright with hope, and
   cheers his soul with the prospect of immortal glory!

The oftener and the more diligently you peruse the Scriptures--the more beautiful will they appear, and the less relish will you have for light and superficial reading. There is, in an intimate acquaintance, and in a daily meditation on the Scriptures--something sanctifying, something ennobling! A satisfaction is felt in perusing them, which no human composition can excite.
You feel as if you were conversing with God.
You breathe a heavenly atmosphere.
The soul is bathed in celestial waters.
It imbibes a sweetness and a composure which shed over it unearthly attractions.

To this fountain of light and life--let us then daily resort.
Here is the healing influence.
Here is the pool of Bethesda.
Here abounds consolation for the afflicted.
Here hope dwells to cheer and to guide.

Bind this precious volume about your neck--write it on the tablets of your heart!
It will prove to be . . .
   your shield in conflict,
   your guide in perplexity,
   your solace in adversity.
If it has been faithfully studied in this life--it will afford themes for heavenly contemplation through eternity.

We should ever approach that Sacred Book with reverence. When we open the Sacred Volume--we listen to the voice of God. Should we not, therefore, give a reverential attention when Jehovah speaks? Should not our posture be that of the deepest humility and awe?

In the written Word, we have God speaking to us as to His children. Go, then, my friend, and diligently listen to the holy oracles. Search the Scriptures. Peruse them systematically. Make them your daily and nightly companions. And may their celestial influence be so infused into your soul--that you shall progressively lose the image of the earthly, and assume the image of the heavenly inhabitants.

Depend upon it, the closer attention you give to the Word--the more precious and interesting will it become, and the more rapidly will you grow in grace and holiness.

The Word of God should grow constantly in your estimation, until you exclaim with David, "O how I love Your law; it is sweeter to my taste than honey and the honey-comb!"

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: October 05, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »

God's perfect wisdom in the management of our affairs!

(James Buchanan)

"The Lord reigns!" Psalm 97:1

The Bible lays a solid ground for our comfort, when it assures us that all things are under the government of God. He superintends the affairs of this world, both as the provident parent and as the moral governor of His creatures.

The Bible declares that God created them, and that whatever beings He deigned to create--He does not disdain to care for. It assures us that no being is so great as to be exempt from His control--and none are so little as to be beneath His regard. And, in like manner, that His eye is directed to every event which may befall any one of His creatures--with no event being either so momentous, or so insignificant--as to be beyond His management, or unworthy of His notice. The sparrow which falls to the earth--is not less an object of His regard than the seraph that stands before His throne!

That all His creatures in this world, and all the events of human life, of whatever kind they may be--are under God's regulation and control--is, of itself, fitted to banish that feeling of uncertainty and hopelessness which the aspect of events might otherwise awaken. And how important to know . . .
  that nothing happens by chance,
  that everything is ordained and appointed according to certain divine principles which are fixed and stable,
  and that these principles will continue to be developed, until the grand end of God's government shall have been attained!

But, however important this information may be, it could ill suffice to cheer the heart amidst its sorrows, or to inspire that living hope which alone can bear us up under their heavy pressure--were we not further assured, that the government under which we live is conducted by . . .
  a God of infinite intelligence and wisdom;
  a being who cannot err--one who knows the end from the beginning; and
  is alike incapable of choosing an improper end, or of employing unsuitable means for its attainment.

A persuasion of God's perfect wisdom in the management of our affairs is the more needful, in proportion as we feel our own helplessness, and are taught, by disappointments and trials--that our affairs are too high and too great to be managed by ourselves. And when assured of this precious truth, we shall the more readily submit to all God's appointments--satisfied, that although we know not the plan of His operations--yet it is known and approved of by One whose wisdom is the best guarantee of the universe.

And thus, too, will the idea of blind fate be excluded, not less than the idea of chance.

Still the heart desires something more. It is not enough that the world is neither left to the random vicissitudes of chance--nor governed by a blind and inexorable fate. It is not enough for our comfort to know that a God of infinite intelligence presides over its affairs, and that its laws are the emanations of His unerring wisdom. Great and glorious as these discoveries are, the heart longs to know the character, not less than the wisdom of that Almighty Being--and to be made acquainted, if not with His secret purposes, at least with the nature of His moral perfections, and His dispositions towards ourselves. "God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us!" Romans 5:8

"Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns!" Revelation 19:6

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: October 06, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »

You should consider from whose hand it has been sent to you!

(James Buchanan, "Comfort in Affliction" 1837)

"In the day of prosperity be happy--but in the day of adversity CONSIDER: God has made the one as well as the other." Ecclesiastes 7:14

In the day of adversity, you should consider from whose hand it has been sent to you! It comes direct from the hand of God!

Intermediate agencies may have been employed in inflicting it:
  a cherished family member may have been the messenger of disease;
  a treacherous friend may have been the cause of bankruptcy;
  an avowed enemy may have been the author of reproach and shame;
  Satan himself may have been allowed to smite you! But through whatever secondary agency it may have been conveyed--adversity comes from God's hand!

"I form the light--and create darkness; I make peace--and create evil. I the Lord, do all these things." Isaiah 45:7

"Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?" Lamentations 3:38

"Shall we receive good at the hand of God--and shall we not receive evil?" Job 2:10

"Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD?" Exodus 4:11

"See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides Me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of My hand!" Deuteronomy 32:39

"The LORD brings death and makes alive; He brings down to the grave and raises up. The LORD sends poverty and wealth; He humbles and He exalts." 1 Samuel 2:6-7

"This is what the LORD says: As I have brought all this great calamity on this people . . ." Jeremiah 32:42

"When disaster comes to a city, has not the LORD caused it?" Amos 3:6

"For He wounds, but He also binds up; He injures, but His hands also heal." Job 5:18

From these and many other passages, it is plain that temporal affliction is ascribed to God in the Holy Scriptures. No one who acknowledges God's Providence at all, can fail to believe that the numerous afflictions and calamities of human life are permitted, appointed, and overruled by the Supreme Governor of the world!

This is a consideration of great practical importance, and should be seriously weighed in the day of adversity.

It assures us that our afflictions are neither imposed by a fatal necessity, nor produced by the uncertain vicissitudes of chance--but come forth from the hand of One who is infinitely wise and just and good!

It also teaches us in many of our afflictions, and those which it is indeed most difficult to bear--to look beyond, and to rise above, the consideration of the mere human agency by which they have been inflicted. I refer to such afflictions as are brought on us through the malice of our fellow-men, in regard to which we are too apt to alone consider the secondary agency through which they fall upon us--instead of steadily contemplating God as addressing to us, through human agency, the warnings and lessons which we need to learn and improve.

Whereas, did we consider all afflictions, of whatever kind, as emanating from the unerring heart of our loving Father--we would find, that even those which the hand or the tongue of man inflicts--are a wholesome discipline, and means of spiritual improvement.

Let us remember, then, that every affliction, through whatever channel it may flow--comes to us ultimately from God's loving hand!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: October 07, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »

The Lord's rod has a voice!

(James Buchanan, "CONSIDERATION" 1840)

"Affliction does not come from the dust, nor does trouble spring from the ground. Yet man is born to trouble, as the sparks fly upward!" Job 5:6-7

As affliction proceeds neither from blind necessity, nor from casual accident--but from the hand of your Omniscient Governor and Judge; so nothing can be more certain than that it is designed for the accomplishment of some great and useful purpose!

Now the design of affliction is expressly revealed in the Word of God. He has condescended to explain the reasons of His dealings with you--and it is alike your duty and your privilege to consider and to concur in His declared design.

The general end of affliction, as it is explained in God's Word, is the moral and spiritual improvement of believers--in other words, their progressive sanctification, and their preparation for glory. Oh! how important must the right use of affliction be, if it is intended to terminate in such a blessed result. It stands connected with our everlasting welfare--with all that we can enjoy on earth, and all that we hope for in Heaven.

But more particularly, the day of adversity is intended for our INSTRUCTION. The Lord's rod has a voice which speaks to us lessons of heavenly wisdom. Therefore, we are required "to hear the rod, and Him who has appointed it." (Micah 6:9.) "The rod and reproof give wisdom." (Proverbs 29:15.) It presents to our minds many of the same great truths which are declared in Scripture--but which we may have overlooked, or failed rightly to understand--until they were pressed on our attention, and made the matter of our personal experience in the day of trouble.

Thus, it teaches most impressively, that great Scriptural truth of the vanity of the world, and its insufficiency as the portion of rational and immortal beings. This is a truth which might almost be regarded as self-evident; yet it is one which is very slowly and reluctantly admitted by the young disciple, and which can only be effectually impressed on his mind, and unfolded in all its extent, by the experience of disappointment and sorrow.

In like manner, the day of adversity teaches us the great lesson of our entire and constant dependence on God. But a little while before, we were rejoicing in the midst of prosperity--our health was sound, our business prosperous, our families entire. But the sudden stroke has come which has smitten . . .
  our bodies with disease,
  our business with bankruptcy,
  or our families with death.
And that stroke has come from the Lord's hand!

Oh! in such circumstances, we are impressively taught . . .
that we are absolutely in God's power;
that all that we have is at His sovereign disposal;
that we depend on Him, day by day, continually for . . .
  our personal preservation,
  our worldly prosperity,
  our domestic comfort,
  for all, in short, that we desire or need on earth.

These are some of the lessons which adversity, when viewed as a means of moral instruction, is fitted to inculcate and to impress with great practical power on our hearts. When these lessons are duly considered; and, above all, when they are submissively embraced and acted on--the disciple will learn from his own experience the value of affliction, and admire the wisdom with which God suits His lessons to the most urgent necessities of his soul.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: October 07, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »

Yes, He is altogether lovely!

(Samuel Rutherford)

Put the beauty of ten thousand worlds of paradises, like the Garden of Eden in one; put all trees, all flowers, all fragrances, all colors, all tastes, all joys, all loveliness, all sweetness in one. O what a lovely and excellent thing would that be! And yet it would be less compared to that beauteous and dearest well-beloved Christ--than one drop of rain, compared to the whole seas, rivers, lakes, and foundations of ten thousand earths!

"Yes, He is altogether lovely! This is my Beloved, and this is my Friend!" Song of Songs 5:16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: October 09, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »

The very substance, marrow, soul, and scope of the whole Scriptures!

"The Scriptures point to Me!" John 5:39

"Christ is the sum of the whole Bible--prophesied, typified, prefigured, exhibited, demonstrated--to be found in every leaf, almost in every line. The Scriptures being but as it were, the swaddling bands of the child Jesus." Thomas Adams

"Think of Christ as the very substance, marrow, soul, and scope of the whole Scriptures!" Isaac Ambrose

"And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, He explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning Himself." Luke 24:27

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: October 10, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »

Such weather vane preachers are worthless!

(Frank Hall)

A weather vane preacher is any preacher who changes what he preaches or how he preaches when the wind changes direction. The preacher who alters his message or his method because of the ever-changing advice, counsel, and opinions of men is not a leader, but a follower. Such weather vane preachers are worthless! They only do harm to the souls of men, and they need not preach at all. True, gospel preachers are pillars in the church of God--not puppets in the hands of men.

"On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts." 1 Thessalonians 2:4

"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths!" 2 Timothy 4:2-4

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: October 11, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »

Cracked cisterns!

(Gleanings from the diary of Ruth Bryan)

November 21st, 1830
While thinking this afternoon of some friends who have been running eagerly from one place to another after a celebrated, and, I suppose, most interesting preacher--this idea forcibly struck me: Why manifest such undue concern after streams, when we have the Fountain always accessible? I can, in my humble cottage, approach the footstool of the Father of mercies, and enjoy the manifestation of His love!

"My people have committed a double evil: They have abandoned Me, the fountain of living water, and dug cisterns for themselves--cracked cisterns that cannot hold water!" Jeremiah 2:13

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: October 12, 2015, 07:11:41 PM »

The redeemed are held and secured by a threefold cord which can never be broken!

Each of the three Persons in the blessed Trinity is concerned with our salvation:
  with the Father it is predestination;
  with the Son it is redemption;
  with the Spirit it is regeneration.

The Father chose us;
the Son died for us;
the Spirit quickens us. (Arthur Pink)

In the affair of man's salvation . . .
  election is ascribed to the Father,
  reconciliation is ascribed to the Son, and
  sanctification is ascribed to the Holy Spirit. (Mathew Henry)

The redeemed are held and secured by a threefold cord which can never be broken!
1. By God the FATHER, who . . .
  has loved them with an everlasting love,
  has chosen them in Christ,
  has secured them in the covenant of grace,
  has given them saving grace,
  keeps them by His power,
  and will give them eternal glory!

2. By the SON, who . . .
  has undertaken the work of salvation for them,
  has redeemed and purchased them,
  prays and intercedes for them,
  makes preparations in Heaven for them.
They are built on Him, united to Him, and are His jewels, whom He cherishes and will preserve.

3. By the HOLY SPIRIT . . .
  whose grace is incorruptible,
  whose personal indwelling is forever,
  who Himself is the pledge and seal of their heavenly inheritance,
  who having begun, will finish the good work of grace. (John Gill)

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ; just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:3-6

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 318 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the