Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  IS TITHING REQUIRED UNDER THE NEW COVENANT?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IS TITHING REQUIRED UNDER THE NEW COVENANT?  (Read 2123 times)
teddybear
« on: August 14, 2003, 11:10:25 AM »

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 02:12:12 PM »

NO!!!! Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 04:36:36 AM »

NO!!!! Grin

Amen

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 05:52:08 AM »

"Tithing" is a practice of giving for the needs of others in a financial fashion (2 Corinthians 9).  The average Jew of the Old Testament times would have given up to, if not over 25% of his income - not just 10%!  Is it required?  As an act of obedience, yes.  As precusory for further blessing or sacramental benefit, no.

My pastor has often said to know how devoted a man is to God, just check and see how tight his grip is on his wallet.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
teddybear
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 07:44:52 AM »

Ambassador 4Christ,
When Jesus established the New Covenant,He did not abolish the practice of tithing.Jesus said,Think not that I am come to destroy the Law,or the prophets;I am not come to destroy,but to fulfil [Matthew 5;17].

Tithing is still part of our covenant of giving,but God desires to take us beyond our current level of giving.Under the New Covenant,our giving to God is no longer limited to a set formula or dicated by duty.When we give our tithes and offerings to Him,we must give according to the pattern Christ set of Unlimited,Liberal Giving!

God Bless.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 02:39:50 PM »

Under the Law of Moses (Num 18:26) , Israel was to give 10 percent of everything, not just money. This is where the tithe concept comes from, tithe equals ten percent.
Under the Kingdom program (Luke 18:22 & Acts 2:44,45) they were to sell ALL they had and bring it to the church. Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, were killed because they lied saying they had given all. The verses (Acts 5) go on to say great FEAR came on all the churches because of this.

Paul says we are not UNDER THE LAW but under grace. We do not collect the tithe today. We do not pass the plate. We do not tell our folks how much to give.

Paul tells us: 2 Cor 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Today, in the dispensation of grace, we do not give because we HAVE to but because we want to..... Why are you giving???

By Pastor Doug Dodd s.b.g.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 06:20:39 AM »

Under the Law of Moses (Num 18:26) , Israel was to give 10 percent of everything, not just money. This is where the tithe concept comes from, tithe equals ten percent.
Under the Kingdom program (Luke 18:22 & Acts 2:44,45) they were to sell ALL they had and bring it to the church. Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, were killed because they lied saying they had given all. The verses (Acts 5) go on to say great FEAR came on all the churches because of this.

Paul says we are not UNDER THE LAW but under grace. We do not collect the tithe today. We do not pass the plate. We do not tell our folks how much to give.

Paul tells us: 2 Cor 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Today, in the dispensation of grace, we do not give because we HAVE to but because we want to..... Why are you giving???

By Pastor Doug Dodd s.b.g.

Yet another Amen

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2003, 04:27:44 PM »

No!!! Tithing is not required. It comes from the heart, not the law. If we, as believers are led to give, we will.
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2003, 02:22:05 AM »

Very good topic, that may have many thoughts about it.
But my understanding is this:
Under the Law, the Jews were required to give 10%.
But under grace we are to give all to Jesus. All that I am belongs to Him. "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own." [1 Cor. 6.19].
I know religions like to use the 10% to get money, but God says all that we are, and all that we have, belong to Him. He will guide us in what to do with all that He gives us.
I get so sickened by the letters some send out trying to con you out of money by saying things like, "if you send us money, God will bless you."  The truth is more like, 'if I give, according as God has directed me to do so, He will bless me."
(though I do not give to get a blessing, but to obey the One I call Lord).
Example:
While working at a 7-11 graveyard shift, and cleaning the parking lot, I found a twenty and fifty  folded together in the lot. I asked God what this was for. He said to me, "the $20.00 is for you, for what you gave that woman in need; give the $50.00 to your landlord." I did as he said, and gave the $50.00 to my landlord. That night he went to a Bible study he did at someones house. God told him to give the $50.00 to the couple there who were new Christians, and had been heroin addicts. They broke down crying, saying they had not even enough to eat on. God blessed them, and increased their faith in Him. 2 men obeyed God in their giving, and God greatly used it to bless others.
Meaning of story: God knows what we do not, and so we need to let Him guide us in our giving. It is His money, etc. And He should be the one to tell us what to do with it. Not some religion, and not ourself.
When Jesus said we must become as little children, he meant that we needed to become totally dependent upon our Father. IN ALL THINGS. Including giving.
Sorry if I made a short story long.
Love to you all. Roy.

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2003, 06:28:51 AM »

No!!! Tithing is not required. It comes from the heart, not the law. If we, as believers are led to give, we will.

Amen

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2003, 09:24:51 PM »

AMEN!! AMEN!! and AMEN!!!!

Love...Tamara
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the