Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Dressing Modestly: A long sleeve V-neck with a tube top as an undershirt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dressing Modestly: A long sleeve V-neck with a tube top as an undershirt  (Read 12350 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 05:14:58 PM »

Quote from: P R
A realtionship that is built on physical attraction alone is one that is doomed to failure.
AMEN PR!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 08:09:55 AM »

Amen Sister Maria,

If a person is looking to attract another for the purposes of a relationship then the physical attration is one of the least of concern. A realtionship that is built on physical attraction alone is one that is doomed to failure.

AMEN, brother.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 09:11:45 AM »

I'm always well dressed.
I'm never 'well dressed' but I am clean!  Grin

Working in a business office for most of my career I developed a "business sense" style of dress. 
I gave away ALL my lined business skirt suits (with the matching jackets)!  Wink
Praise the Lord!  Grin

I dress quite elegantly,
I'm never dressed 'elegantly' but I am clean!  Grin

I get many compliments from many people at church,
I don't get complimented by folks at your church.  Cry
But my whole family does get compliments at the local gathering we attend. My favorite is that we always come with smiles!  Grin

yet my clothes is very  modest and before I even walk out the door I ask my husband for his opinion.
I prolly shouldn't ask your husband for his opinion on my jeans, eh?  Wink

A woman can dress modestly and elegantly and look much better than the way some people dress now a days.
Meh. I'm old now. I doubt I could look 'much better' than anyone else. But I am fearfully and wonderfully made!   Wink

I do go for the modest part but 'elegant' was never my style!  Wink

We were watching a dvd the other day. A church building that was torn down in China by the government. Those folks continued to praise and worship without a building and they weren't very well-dressed. Ah but it was such a beautiful sight to behold!  Cheesy

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 09:30:48 AM »

Posted elsewhere but really good words here, too!  Smiley

That is the only thing God wants us to do preach the Word, and love one another, God does not need our help in any other area.
When we start judging others, and concerning ourselves with their lifestyle, we take our eyes off Jesus, and we start becoming bitter, resentful, judgemental, angry, and before we know it we have fallen into the trap of the enemy.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 11:24:32 AM »

Excellant words Sisters. I have seen many turned away from God because of judging of what they wear before they are even brought to the Lord and some of those individuals were quite modestly dressed.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 01:42:11 PM »

Excellant words Sisters. I have seen many turned away from God because of judging of what they wear before they are even brought to the Lord and some of those individuals were quite modestly dressed.

Jesus looks at the heart, not at the clothing. I love the song by Crystal Lewis 'Come just as you are', God will change us, we can't change others.
That does not mean that once a Christian has learned the importance  of modesty, that they should continue to dress in a way to draw attention to themselves, you know the very low cleavage, very short or tight dresses and skirts. But for a non believer the most important thing to us should be to give that person the message of salvation.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 02:19:37 PM »

Jesus looks at the heart, not at the clothing. I love the song by Crystal Lewis 'Come just as you are', God will change us, we can't change others.
God will change us! Amen!

That does not mean that once a Christian has learned the importance  of modesty, that they should continue to dress in a way to draw attention to themselves, you know the very low cleavage, very short or tight dresses and skirts.

If they are dressing "immodestly" in your opinion, then wouldn't you also be of the opinion that maybe God will get to it but just maybe He's working on something else in their lives? Since God tends to do most of His work from the inside out, then maybe He's working on things inside a Christian like hate, or pride, or self-righteousness or whatever He deems most important?

But for a non believer the most important thing to us should be to give that person the message of salvation.
And for the believer, the most important thing to learn might be who they are in Christ and how to walk with Him and grow in Him.

And in my own personal experience, I've found that for every Christian woman who dresses to be what *I think* is immodest usually means they have a different background than I do, are a new Christian, have low self-esteem, or even didn't have a Godly female influence in their life, or just flat-out can't afford better. But they tend to instinctively keep a look out for an example that they can learn from. And they eventually *get there* wherever *there* is. God leads them there. But for me to walk in and see the *outside* and make a judgement call without getting to know the real them does more harm than good. And you can sit in the same pew with a woman for years and have no clue what her real life is like. It takes building a relationship with them. And when it's happened to me, I've found that God shows *me* things that need to be worked on in my own heart and life!

We are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. We are not to pass judgement on disputable matters.
And:
Who are you (we) to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

We can't look at a person and know where they are spiritually. Some of the most self-righteous women I have ever met in the churches are dressed like peacocks with the most judgemental comments said to me about others. My husband tells me I can't smack 'em, no matter how nicely I ask.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 02:35:25 PM »

Amen, sister, personally I have more important things to do than to think about, worry about or judge anyone on the way they dress. And you are right their are many  self righteous people even in the church, but as I said only God can change people. It's hard enough for us to stay on the narrow path without worrying about how others are behaving or dressing. But I also believe that we can lovingly and in a Christian manner show someone where they are wrong. Maybe they don't know or haven't noticed. If they get upset or mad than all we can do is pray. As I said in another post God looks at the heart, we can't see that. That is also why I feel  we should examine our own hearts. and ask God to reveal to us if we have done wrong. There are sins that we may ave commited and not noticed, and there are also sins of ommision, things e know we should have done, but didn't.

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 07:30:28 AM »

Amen, sister, personally I have more important things to do than to think about, worry about or judge anyone on the way they dress.

Isn't that wonderful! Now if only others in the *churches* would learn that!  Smiley

But I also believe that we can lovingly and in a Christian manner show someone where they are wrong.
As long as they are "wrong" according to Scripture and not opinion.  Smiley

As I said in another post God looks at the heart, we can't see that.
And we also can't often see where the Lord is working in someone's life.  Smiley

That is also why I feel  we should examine our own hearts. and ask God to reveal to us if we have done wrong.
And if we'd all do that, we'd be so busy following the Lord we wouldn't have to worry about how others look.  Smiley

Good thoughts, thank you!  Smiley

Jessie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 04:02:16 AM »

Wow, i really needed to read this. I though the outfit was pretty and not immodest at all. I think i should learn Gods definiton of modesty.
I think my figure has become a source of pride with myself because i've gotten so many compliments on it from men. Hmmm....perhaps i have insecurity issues. ugh. I'm gonna talk to my pastor about this subject.
Sorry to intrude!!! Thanks for this thread!

"One man's wrong lead, is another man's counter canter."
ibuchanan82

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 02:50:22 AM »

I dunno so much as u guys,
Maybe ur all older or something but I look at the sweater and as a young man I don't see anything sexually alluring about it, especially if your friend is wearing a bra underneath it. The tube top I suppose is a little more questionable, it looks pretty thin and see through and doesn't leave much to the imagination.

This one thing I do know, culture is changing and opinions of appropriate dress is changing. I know loads of girls wearing clothes like that and I don't have uncontrolable urges to commit sinful acts nor do any of my male friends.
I suppose it depends largly on the culture of your area, if it's not normal to wear those types of clothing then I can see the problem, men in that area who aren't used to seeing such clothing would i guess be a little more prone to look (and thats what this is all about really isn't it? does this outfit cause ur fellow brother to fall?) just the same as if you were to pluck a lady from the sunny shores of brazil and have her strolling down the streets of Scotland here, I'm sure she'd get more than a look or two (not from me).

I don't agree that the lady with the all in one flowery dress is the only right way to dress, personally if I saw any teen girl with that on I'd give her some money out of compassion for the poor lass. She'd never persuade any of her friends that becoming a Christian is a good idea thats for sure.

Here's a question:

If an unchurched girl walked into your church wearing what you would consider inappropriate dress whatever that may be, what would you do? ask her to leave? let her dress that way for a couple of weeks then challenge her when you know her better? or something else?

Ian
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the