Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  God has a special place in His heart for Warriors.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God has a special place in His heart for Warriors.  (Read 770 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:51:34 AM »

Who is this King of glory?  The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle." (Psalm 24:8, NIV )

God has a special place in His heart for Warriors.  God is a Warrior and many of the men most used of God in the Scriptures are Warriors (Abraham, David, Joshua, Joab, etc.).  As Jesus came across soldiers during His ministry (Matt 8:5-13, Luke 3:14, 7:1-10), He was very positive with them, even to the point of commending a Roman centurion as the man of greatest faith in all of Israel (Matt 8:10).  Furthermore, Romans 13:1-7 shows the military to be God's arm of justice for His ordained governing authorities.  Thus, a soldiers' selfless service brings glory and honor to God.

With our nation fully at war, this is a critical season for our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coastguardsmen.  Military men and women are under tremendous stress and need godly men and women around them to bring them God's love and God's context for the death and destruction surrounding them.  They are God's missionaries on the frontlines to "reconcile men to God" (2 Cor 5:18-20).

Yet, how are we to perform our military duties within this high stress and often violent context?  And why is it so important, especially today?

I believe there is great insight in both the lives of Daniel and King David.  Even among Daniel's enemies, they could find no corruption or negligence in him (Daniel 6:4).  Additionally, the Warrior King David led his nation with integrity of heart and with skillful hands (Psalm 78:72).  From these passages, I conclude:  military men and women need to walk in integrity and competence, free of corruption and negligence in obedience to Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I have often heard and long believed that we need to earn the right to share the Gospel.  We do this through our personal witness.  Two sayings I believe:

·         "Share your faith—use words if necessary."

·         "The Gospel is meant to be communicated primarily on the LIFE, not the LIPS."

When military men and women walk in integrity and competence, they honor God and prompt in others the desire to know what drives and motivates them (Matt 5:16).  These godly men and women are postured to be used by God.  Sadly, too often outspoken Christians perform incompetently or in an unethical manner.  In my 22 years of duty, especially on deployments, I have seen this phenomenon far too often.

We must be deliberate in our conduct.  Here are some good passages concerning what we do as Warriors:

·         "Do everything without complaining or arguing," (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

·         "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," (Col. 3:22-23, NIV)

·         "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Cor. 10:31, NIV)

·         "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." (Col. 3:17, NIV)

The military presents a unique environment within which to bear Christ’s witness.  For those of us in the military, here are some specific areas to examine:

·         Being tactically and technically proficient

·         Military bearing (appearance and fitness) and professionalism

·         Conduct (on and off the job)

·         Leadership skills (if in a leadership position)

·         Overall attitude

I realize many people in the military are concerned and sometimes fearful about their careers and about being promoted.  We must trust God with our careers.  Do your duty, walk in complete integrity, and be competent at your tasks.  Trust God for the results:

·         "No one from the east or the west or from the desert can exalt a man.  But it is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another." (Psalm 75:6-7, NIV)

·         "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28, NIV)

Let me end with 2 quotations; one from a famous godly Civil War general, the other from a great missionary.

·         "Duty is man's, results are God’s.”  (General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson)

·         "A man is no fool who gives up what he cannot hope to keep to obtain that which he cannot possibly lose." (Jim Elliot)

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the