Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 08:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286875 Posts in 27569 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Saved by GRACE, NOT Faith
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saved by GRACE, NOT Faith  (Read 2086 times)
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2003, 12:53:32 PM »

Ephesians 2:4-9 reveals some extremely important truths.

1. The REASON God made us alive (saved us) was "Because of" His great love. God's motivation is LOVE.

2. We are saved "BY GRACE." The INSTRUMENT of salvation is the unmerited favour.

Thus, 2 questions are answered:1. Why did God save me?- He loves me and 2. How did God save me? By grace.

Faith is only the "channel," "conduit," or "agency" that God used to apply His grace. It has no merit and His gift as well.

aw
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 01:27:29 PM »

(Ephesians 2:8-9) - "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9not as a result of works, that no one should boast."

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 02:01:06 PM »

Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 02:13:24 PM »

Does that mean you agree with Saved by GRACE, NOT Faith?

Grin

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 02:14:11 PM »

Ephesians 2:4-9 reveals some extremely important truths.

1. The REASON God made us alive (saved us) was "Because of" His great love. God's motivation is LOVE.

2. We are saved "BY GRACE." The INSTRUMENT of salvation is the unmerited favour.

Thus, 2 questions are answered:1. Why did God save me?- He loves me and 2. How did God save me? By grace.

Faith is only the "channel," "conduit," or "agency" that God used to apply His grace. It has no merit and His gift as well.

aw
Grace is the gift of the giver God and through faith, upon hearing the good news of Jesus Christ, it is accepted and received.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 07:31:14 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 02:28:47 PM »

Perhaps an analogy: thus guy is on the 10th story of a building that is on fire with no escape except some firemen holding a net down on the ground.

He finally decides to "LEAP" and winds up safely in the net. How was he saved from death? By the firemen holding the net. The net and the firemen holding it were the only means of saving him and all he did was DECIDE to leap.

There is no merit in his decision, but it was the correct one. There is no MERIT in faith and once one makes the decision to trust in Christ, God ,because of His love, saves us BY grace.

aw
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 02:37:01 PM »

Perhaps an analogy: thus guy is on the 10th story of a building that is on fire with no escape except some firemen holding a net down on the ground.

He finally decides to "LEAP" and winds up safely in the net. How was he saved from death? By the firemen holding the net. The net and the firemen holding it were the only means of saving him and all he did was DECIDE to leap.

There is no merit in his decision, but it was the correct one. There is no MERIT in faith and once one makes the decision to trust in Christ, God ,because of His love, saves us BY grace.

aw

Grin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 02:40:35 PM by Ambassador4Christ » Logged

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
LoggedintoJesus

John 3:16 John 11:25 Rev 22:17

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 02:39:44 PM »

Grace is a life boat that saves a drowning man.
By faith the man gets in the boat and lives.
The man will say the boat saved my life. Smiley

psalm 62:8  Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before Him, God is a refuge for us.
Ralph

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 03:01:51 PM »

AW--very well said. It was according to God's eternal purpose
to be merciful and gracious that all else followed as a consequence. With that eternally in place it could not fail; without it, it could not be.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 03:11:56 PM »

Ephesians 2:8-10. 'For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works least anyone should boast'.

Romans.5:8. 'God demonstrated His own love to us in this way, while we were still sinners Christ died for us.
Romans.10:9. That if you will confess with your mouth Jesus Christ as Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you will be saved. Salvation is accepting by faith that Jesus Christ died for you-your sin-and took the full penalty and judgement for it, so that through His sacrifice, God can declare you righteous, and make you a child of God and a member of the Body of Christ. This is only the beginning of Gods work.

Romans 8:31&32. 'If God be for us who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him freely give us all things.'

Philippians.2:13. 'For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for his good pleasure.' What a lot of Christians forget is that it is God who saved us. It is God who keeps us and it is God who is working in us to make us more like Christ. We must also distinguish between how God sees us IN CHRIST, perfect and righteous [our standing before God] and our daily walk in all it's failings and shortcomings. [our state before God ] The first is perfect and never fails for it is based on God and His promises. The last rises and falls according to our obedience to His Word and whether we live for Christ and walk in the Spirit.

Salvation from the penalty of sin and life in Christ is a present possession secured for eternity.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 06:14:09 PM »

Salvation is accepted through Faith

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 06:22:09 PM »

That's a succinct and accurate way to state it.

Thanks,

aw
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2003, 12:48:45 AM »

aw

aw

This is a good, example..but..

While the motivation to jump when no other options exist, one can confuse, the need to escape the fire by jumping as an act of faith.

In the Christains conversion this very similar, in that the Christian must jump today (preferably) to avoid the fire tomorrow.  

However it must be pointed out, that while it is possible this man, produced the faith himself, (to jump), since one can assume from the story, that he only jumped after he saw the firemen and the net in place, which is really a faith produced by sight, he nevertheless jumped.

In comparing this to the Christian experience of conversion; Placing faith in Jesus the object all Christians faith, is made because one is given eyes to see, the object, and ears to hear the words (gospel) of faith calling all who hear it, to save yourself from the coming judgment, and according to the  Word of God, FAITH is the gift given that is placed on the object of the finished works of Christ at the cross.  The Grace of God produces FAITH, in tghe person that believes His Word spoken by Jesus.

This is why men, are able to believe in what he could never have otherwise believed in.

Blerssings,

Petro

And the  

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 12:52:47 AM »

Nice points; aptly stated.
We could say also that the people holding the net were there because they wanted him saved.

Faith bridges the gap between our need and God's provision.

Thanks for the input,

aw
LoggedintoJesus

John 3:16 John 11:25 Rev 22:17

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 05:45:13 PM »

I would state that its the word of God that gives any man sight or warning to the inpending danger, therefore the man realizes that there is nothing He can do, He can try to ignore the danger , or procastenate, or deal with it in his own way, but if He understands the word correctly then he realizes that he is at God's mercy.Further study of the Gospel will set anyone free,if we understand it and if we receive it through faith.it's all the work of God, through the word and the spirit gives us the understanding of it. Smiley

The enterence of God's word gives light.And converts the soul.

Im sure that alot more could be said,on this Great subject. Smiley

psalm 62:8  Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before Him, God is a refuge for us.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the