Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:09:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How are we saved?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How are we saved?  (Read 1141 times)
arunangelo

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2005, 04:38:23 PM »

We are saved from sins by the blood of Christ (Matt. 26:28).  In other words, the passion and death of Jesus bring us forgiveness of sins. This is true forgiveness, in which we the offenders are forgiven of our offenses by the compensation of Jesus the victim. This is also true love, in which Jesus gave of Himself completely so that we may have life (1John 4: 10).  Therefore, to be saved we have to accept Jesus’ sacrifice by believing in it.  To believe in it is to be born again in Jesus’ life (John3: 3-6) and live like Him (1John 2:5-6). This means that we must not hate our offenders and forgive them the way Jesus does, which is to compensate for offenses that our offenders commit against us by our own life. In simple words it means that we have to go out of our way to help our offenders, even to the extent of putting our life on the line. Jesus commands us to love others the way He loves us (John 16:12).  Everyone who has this love is begotten of God and knows God (1John4: 7). Similarly, everyone who knows Him keeps His commandment (1John 2:3,4).  On the other hand who ever hates his brother is in darkness (1John2: 11) and is a murderer, and therefore, has no eternal life (1 John 3:15). Furthermore, we cannot love God if we have hate in our heart for anyone (1John 4:20).  Can we therefore, we saved by simply believing or proclaiming that Jesus is God if our life is not of His?
thundr

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 08:16:02 PM »

Can we therefore, be saved by simply believing or proclaiming that Jesus is God if our life is not of His?

The answer to that personally is a resounding NO. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God (Ephesians 2:Cool

So to be saved we must not only give our lives to God but also allow him to work through us and show that he is Lord of our lives.
Sean73

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 10:48:25 PM »

We are initially saved by faith and through water baptism. But it doesn't stop there.  There also has to be works.  "So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead." Tim 2:17

Servus Christi,
Sean
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 11:29:05 PM »

Hi, Sean. I see that you are new to Christians Unite. I welcome you and hope that you enjoy fellowship with other Christians. There are plenty of fine Christians here that are willing to share the word of God with you.

We are initially saved by faith and through water baptism. But it doesn't stop there.  There also has to be works.  "So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead." Tim 2:17

We are saved by faith not water baptism. Water baptism is a show of our faith by following Jesus' words. It is the same with works. If we truly have faith in Jesus and love Him then we will show it by our fruit(works).

Mat 7:17  Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18  A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

The verse that you referenced (Tim 2:17) I believe that you meant James 2:17.

Jam 2:17  Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

If we continue on in verse 18 and 19 we see what is meant.

Jam 2:18  Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Jam 2:19  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

I person that is saved will show that he is saved through his works. Not that we need to show that to someone else but because we love the Lord and want to do His work. A person that is not saved will have no desire to do Gods bidding.

This is not a requirement of salvation but it is a result of salvation that we will have the desire to do good works.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 11:33:52 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 04:30:20 PM »

Simply through Grace. To put it in simple terms. We are saved through Grace and Grace alone. It was through Grace that God sent His son to die, so that we may KNOW that we have eternal life. Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves it is the Gift of God: Not of works lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Check this out, Paul says nothing of works when it comes to salvation. If he thought salvation was based on works, then he would have most assuredly thought that Grace was not enough.  Paul seals the deal with Grace by adding this remark:

2 Timothy 1:9

Who hat saved us, and called us witha  holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before he world began, but is being made manifest by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the Gospel.

This is what Grace does:

Romans 3:24

Being justified freely by GRACE through the redemption that is in Jesus Christ.

Simply put, Grace through the agent of faith, is what saves us. Now who gives that Grace, God. How, by placing your trust in Jesus Christ, that He died for your sins because there is nothing else that will save us. save this:

Act 4:12Niether is there salvation in any other: for there is non other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

That nails it down. Jesus is the key to how we are saved. It doesn't get much more plainer than that. Well my time is up, but I thought i'd give you a few thoughts. God Bless.

Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 10:07:45 PM »

Here's some more of my twisted thoughts. I figured i'd put them in Poetry Form.

Why the Death?

Why didst thou have to give thy light
to a dark and dying world?
Why didst though have to give thy life
so that we could call you Lord?

You endured the suffering and pain,
Yet what could you stand to gain?
For giving your life and taking mine
to secure it against the seige of Time.

You hung upon the Oldrugged cross
as your body suffered and ran with blood lost.
You looked above the parade of time
to see this saddened heart of mine.

You said, I give my life for my friend
Even before the horrific torture begins.
You let us know death was your mission
so death would free us from our prisons.

You died so we would fall.
Fall down prostrate at the weathered glorious cross.
You suffered it all
so our souls would no longer pay the cost.

Now I know the answer to:

Why didst though have to give thy light
to a dark and dying world?
Why didst though have to giv eyour life
so that we could call you savior?

Thank you for giving thy light
Thank you for giving thy Grace.
Thank you for giving me Life
Thank you for revealing thy face.

Just a few thoughts...think on this. God Bless

Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the