Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:56:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Plastic surgery
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Plastic surgery  (Read 3534 times)
Tracy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2003, 06:18:17 AM »

Please can someone give me an educated/reliable answer on what God's or the bibles views are regarding christianity and plastic surgery (ie: breast enlargements).  Is this a sin?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 06:26:09 AM »

Please can someone give me an educated/reliable answer on what God's or the bibles views are regarding christianity and plastic surgery (ie: breast enlargements).  Is this a sin?

No Way Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
IrishAngel
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 05:56:55 PM »

Hi Tracy  Smiley

I read a article a few days ago that somewhat relates to the question you asked, because I know of no scripture pertaining to cosmetic surgery, I can`t give you a educated answer, but  you may find this commentary enlightening.

On Tattoos & Body Piercing

A few weeks ago, someone sent me an email inquiring about a Christian perspective on tattoos and body piercing. They had heard a few answers from others, but they weren't very satisfying. I have often felt that way. Too often the church gives a simplistic answer to a complex question, and in so doing, we teach our children not to think but simply to obey. Just saying something is wrong, or quoting one verse from the Bible out of context as our proof text is not really adequate. Our children deserve better. (Lest I be open to the same charge of proof-texting, please note that the Scriptures mentioned here are only a sampling of many which support the principles discussed. Those who wish should have no trouble finding many more.)

I think we are skating on thin ice whenever we try to say something is bad that the Scriptures don't speak to directly. Briefly, the Scriptures only have a couple of references to marks on the body (e.g. the mark on Cain, the mark of the beast, etc.). and only one specific reference to tattoos (Lev. 19:28). In context, the verse is discussing idol worship, but the grammar of the sentence seems to indicate that tattoos of any kind are forbidden. Without getting into a discussion of which Old Testament laws are still binding on Christians and which are not, it would seem prudent to avoid tattoos altogether.

Earrings and nose rings are both mentioned in Scripture, but we don't know much beyond that. Did they wear them in both ears? How many did they wear in a row? Did both men and women wear them? Bangles and ankle chains are also mentioned, but again with no details. They are nowhere condemned in Scripture, therefore we must not pretend that it is Christian to wear them or not wear them. (Those who would quote 1Peter 3:3, should note that it does not forbid the wearing of jewelry; rather, it says that a woman's beauty should not come from these things but from a gentle and quiet spirit.)

In my view these things are essentially matters of taste, style, and culture. This doesn't mean that we can't take a stand for or against, but we should do so on the basis of Biblical principles rather on the basis of Biblical commands. This forces us to think a bit more deeply, but ultimately our children will be better equipped for living. Once children learn the principles, they can then apply them to any number of situations.

First, the principle of modesty (or humility) says that I will not do things which will call undue attention to myself. (Hey, everybody, look at me!) See Philippians 2:3 and 1Peter 5:5.

Second, the principle of deference says that we should be sensitive to the issues which concern others. When in Rome live as the Romans. Eat meat offered to idols unless it offends someone else. If it does, then skip it. See 1Corinthians 8

Third, the principle of honor says that we are to honor parents, government, elders and other rulers and abide by their standards. Thus, while children live at home, they must commit to honoring their parents. While at school they agree to respect the standards of the school. That means more than just doing what they are told, but rather living in such a way that they truly demonstrate their respect for those in authority even when they are not around. See Romans 13:1,7

Fourth, the principle of taking care of one's temple says that we should not do anything which might cause harm to our bodies. Scarring, mutilation, rings in the mouth, tongue, breast, etc. are unhealthy, and therefore are not acceptable for Christians. 1Corinthians 6:19

Fifth, the principle of being a light to the world says that we should always be prepared to witness. Will this help or hinder? The question needs to be asked and answered honestly. (In some circumstances, it might help! For example, when I was at Bible college, I argued successfully that my beard helped me in my coffeehouse ministry to street people.) See 2Peter 3:15

While the principles are timeless, the applications change with the culture. For example, certain kinds of body piercing will always be unhealthy and therefore should be avoided. But others are a matter of cultural acceptance. They should be avoided perhaps at certain times and places, but may be acceptable at others. Teach your children to be wise and discerning and to live by principle. Help them to discern between those things which are wrong and those things which are not wrong but, nevertheless, are not acceptable, approved, helpful, wise, etc. Modesty, deference, honor, stewardship, and witness, however, are always in style.

Brian Hazeltine, B.Ed., M.A.
Principal, Airdrie Koinonia Christian School

Elijah

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 10:57:54 AM »

If you believe beauty is truth it is.
There is much materialism in the world today ,people think your worth ultimately measures on how good you look and how much money you have, wanting plastic surgery wanting a bigger house wanting a new car wanting bigger breasts it never stops, that’s what God calls greed.

If you want to know what God cares about. He cares about the poor and needy the humble.And he wants us to be happy with who we are, and not to worry about the way we look.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 11:05:06 AM by Elijah » Logged
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 07:03:35 PM »

Hi Tracy  Smiley

I read a article a few days ago that somewhat relates to the question you asked, because I know of no scripture pertaining to cosmetic surgery, I can`t give you a educated answer, but  you may find this commentary enlightening.

On Tattoos & Body Piercing

A few weeks ago, someone sent me an email inquiring about a Christian perspective on tattoos and body piercing. They had heard a few answers from others, but they weren't very satisfying. I have often felt that way. Too often the church gives a simplistic answer to a complex question, and in so doing, we teach our children not to think but simply to obey. Just saying something is wrong, or quoting one verse from the Bible out of context as our proof text is not really adequate. Our children deserve better. (Lest I be open to the same charge of proof-texting, please note that the Scriptures mentioned here are only a sampling of many which support the principles discussed. Those who wish should have no trouble finding many more.)

I think we are skating on thin ice whenever we try to say something is bad that the Scriptures don't speak to directly. Briefly, the Scriptures only have a couple of references to marks on the body (e.g. the mark on Cain, the mark of the beast, etc.). and only one specific reference to tattoos (Lev. 19:28). In context, the verse is discussing idol worship, but the grammar of the sentence seems to indicate that tattoos of any kind are forbidden. Without getting into a discussion of which Old Testament laws are still binding on Christians and which are not, it would seem prudent to avoid tattoos altogether.

Earrings and nose rings are both mentioned in Scripture, but we don't know much beyond that. Did they wear them in both ears? How many did they wear in a row? Did both men and women wear them? Bangles and ankle chains are also mentioned, but again with no details. They are nowhere condemned in Scripture, therefore we must not pretend that it is Christian to wear them or not wear them. (Those who would quote 1Peter 3:3, should note that it does not forbid the wearing of jewelry; rather, it says that a woman's beauty should not come from these things but from a gentle and quiet spirit.)

In my view these things are essentially matters of taste, style, and culture. This doesn't mean that we can't take a stand for or against, but we should do so on the basis of Biblical principles rather on the basis of Biblical commands. This forces us to think a bit more deeply, but ultimately our children will be better equipped for living. Once children learn the principles, they can then apply them to any number of situations.

First, the principle of modesty (or humility) says that I will not do things which will call undue attention to myself. (Hey, everybody, look at me!) See Philippians 2:3 and 1Peter 5:5.

Second, the principle of deference says that we should be sensitive to the issues which concern others. When in Rome live as the Romans. Eat meat offered to idols unless it offends someone else. If it does, then skip it. See 1Corinthians 8

Third, the principle of honor says that we are to honor parents, government, elders and other rulers and abide by their standards. Thus, while children live at home, they must commit to honoring their parents. While at school they agree to respect the standards of the school. That means more than just doing what they are told, but rather living in such a way that they truly demonstrate their respect for those in authority even when they are not around. See Romans 13:1,7

Fourth, the principle of taking care of one's temple says that we should not do anything which might cause harm to our bodies. Scarring, mutilation, rings in the mouth, tongue, breast, etc. are unhealthy, and therefore are not acceptable for Christians. 1Corinthians 6:19

Fifth, the principle of being a light to the world says that we should always be prepared to witness. Will this help or hinder? The question needs to be asked and answered honestly. (In some circumstances, it might help! For example, when I was at Bible college, I argued successfully that my beard helped me in my coffeehouse ministry to street people.) See 2Peter 3:15

While the principles are timeless, the applications change with the culture. For example, certain kinds of body piercing will always be unhealthy and therefore should be avoided. But others are a matter of cultural acceptance. They should be avoided perhaps at certain times and places, but may be acceptable at others. Teach your children to be wise and discerning and to live by principle. Help them to discern between those things which are wrong and those things which are not wrong but, nevertheless, are not acceptable, approved, helpful, wise, etc. Modesty, deference, honor, stewardship, and witness, however, are always in style.

Brian Hazeltine, B.Ed., M.A.
Principal, Airdrie Koinonia Christian School

Thank you!  Grin

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Coyote

Aim High!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 09:53:52 AM »

My wife and I talked about this issue about a year ago. We both decided it wasn't right for us to meddle with God's work for no reason. I'll use our example-- You rent a house from a very decent landlord. He asks that you take care of the house, and do the minor maintence in return for a reduced rent. You keep up the property, and make repairs... but your not happy with the house all of the sudden it to small. You take it upon yourself to add another room. The landlord stops by to check on the house and sees your work. Initial reaction is poor to say the least. You have changed his property without consulting him. You were only asked to make repairs as needed, and to maintain the house.

Corrective surgery to help maintain the body is one thing to change up the body is completly different.

But that is just the wife and I.

God Bless
Jim

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 10:55:06 AM »

My wife and I talked about this issue about a year ago. We both decided it wasn't right for us to meddle with God's work for no reason. I'll use our example-- You rent a house from a very decent landlord. He asks that you take care of the house, and do the minor maintence in return for a reduced rent. You keep up the property, and make repairs... but your not happy with the house all of the sudden it to small. You take it upon yourself to add another room. The landlord stops by to check on the house and sees your work. Initial reaction is poor to say the least. You have changed his property without consulting him. You were only asked to make repairs as needed, and to maintain the house.

Corrective surgery to help maintain the body is one thing to change up the body is completly different.

But that is just the wife and I.

God Bless
Jim
Thanks for the parable!  Smiley

Coyote

Aim High!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »

Was that a parable? See what engulfing oneself into the study of the word does to you?

lol

Jim

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 09:51:05 PM »

Was that a parable? See what engulfing oneself into the study of the word does to you?

lol

Jim
Yes!  Shocked

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the