Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 08:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286832 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Respect for other religions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Respect for other religions  (Read 2264 times)
outlaw

I'm The Lords Greatest....

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2006, 02:51:06 PM »

Hi, i cant understand when christians, christian leaders make a statement that they respect other religions. isnt  that like saying i agree with  what you are doing?

For God so loved the world.....whats the statement for Jesus?
He had to die.....?
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »

Well when other tell Christians that, if you don't convert to our religion we will kill you, what do you expect?  Look how often islamic leaders threaten Christians.

Praise God this is a small minority of Christians that do this.  We are told to hate the sin, but not the sinner.

Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 12:11:11 AM »

I rather preach about our Lord and it they don't like it! they can behead me it they want! Sad

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 03:18:40 PM »

I agree.  I do not respect other religions, save the Jewish faith.

But I do respect the peoples rights to worship other religions.  I cannot help it if they are wrong.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
saved_by_grace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 01:04:49 AM »

Hi, i cant understand when christians, christian leaders make a statement that they respect other religions. isnt  that like saying i agree with  what you are doing?

I don't think any one denomination has all the truths and I think there is a difference between respecting one's beliefs and agreeing with them.  I have my doubts about some of the things that I have been taught as a child, so I question them and try to find out the truth.  I find nothing wrong or offensive about saying something along the lines of "Now that I heard what you believe, let me share what I believe".  I think it's important to know what we believe and why we believe what we do. 
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 12:26:51 PM »

I don't think any one denomination has all the truths and I think there is a difference between respecting one's beliefs and agreeing with them.  I have my doubts about some of the things that I have been taught as a child, so I question them and try to find out the truth.  I find nothing wrong or offensive about saying something along the lines of "Now that I heard what you believe, let me share what I believe".  I think it's important to know what we believe and why we believe what we do.

Although true that there is a difference between respect and agreeing.  Generally respecting in this instance would be to hold the religion in honor, esteem, or a regard.  And like I said before besides the Jewish faith I hold no other religion with any respect.  The people within that religion, respect enough to say they have a right to worship that way.  But I hold no honor or esteem to the religion of satan, muhammed, buddha, or any other false gods.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Follower of Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 01:21:25 PM »

I tend to agree with the first post. I cringe when I hear Christians talk about respecting others' faith. Respecting their right to practice their faith is different, in my mind, than respecting their faith. I don't respect any other faith, including Judaism because it rejects Christ. But I strongly respect the right of anyone to practice whatever faith they please, be it Christianity or a false religion.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 01:19:24 AM »

Agreed.  However the Nation of Israel is still under God's protection.  And although they missed the boat with Jesus they are still God's people.  For that I give them a margin of respect.  Even in their transgressions they glorified God.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

Whitestone

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 03:08:59 PM »

"Respect" in this case is a PC buzz word borrowed from the world's doctrine of tolerence (born of the "you do your thing, I'll do mine" drivel of the 60's) As Americans we honor our national heritage of "respect" for the rights of others. As Christians, we don't have even the most remote precedent for respecting other religions. During the time of His walk here,  Jesus refered to The leaders of Judaism as Snakes and Son's of the devil... hardly respectful. Throughout the Bible, paganism is called just that...and any other "god" called "false", no respect whatsoever.
PC/buzz word/pop-psychology doctrine carries such a scent of good or ethical with it, that we easily fall into the trap of confusing it for God's truth.....it isn't.

WS.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 01:34:35 AM »

Whitestone,

That is all true.  However even God shows respect to the individuals free will to worship other gods and idols.  Paul even wrote in Romans that God would just let them go about their way.  I respect a Muslims right to worship a false prophet.  That does not in any way mean that I am going to sit back quietly and not try and preach the gospel to them.  Respecting thier right to do whatever is not even a personal thing.  It is a respect to our country and moreso a respect to those who have given us that freedom.  It is not showing a respect to Buddha, Mohammed or any other icon. 

And is not a matter of PC.  I am sure you can tell by the threads here that we are not speaking of the PC buzz words.  But the true meaning of respect.  I respect a Buddhist right to worship Buddha just as much as I respect a Presbyterians right to be a Presbyterian Wink

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the