Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:23:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  ULTRADISPENSATIONALISM: BIBLE TRUTH OR HERESY?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ULTRADISPENSATIONALISM: BIBLE TRUTH OR HERESY?  (Read 7269 times)
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2003, 06:51:21 PM »

ULTRADISPENSATIONALISM: BIBLE TRUTH OR HERESY?
It would appear from several posts on various forums, that we have quite a few “ultradispensationalists” among us, although they do not necessarily identify themselves as such.  

So what is ultradispensationalism and why is it contrary to Bible truth?

Dispensationalism teaches that the Church began at Pentecost, and the majority of evangelical Christians accept this as true.  

Ultradispensationalism teaches a variety of doctrines regarding the Church age,  BUT THE FUNDAMENTAL TEACHING OF ULTRADISPENSATIONALISM IS THAT THE CHURCH DID NOT BEGIN AT PENTECOST. This affects their attitude towards (1) water baptism  (2) the Lord’s Supper (3) the Great Commission (4) Israel and (5) the Kingdom of God.

Bullinger, the father of ultradispensationalism, taught that:
1. There are two dispensations between Pentecost and the end of the Church age.
2. That the Church began after Acts 28:28.
3. That water baptism  and the Lord’s Supper are not necessary for believers today.

EXTREME ULTRADISPENSATIONALISM
His follower, A. E. Knoch, took Bullingerism to the extreme, and taught that there are four dispensations between Pentecost and the end of the Church age.  Knoch’s followers boldly proclaim (1) ANNIHILATION and (2) UNIVERSAL RECONCILATION.  THEY ALSO BELIEVE THAT ONLY PAUL’S PRISON EPISTLES  APPLY TO BELIEVERS TODAY.

MODERATE ULTRADISPENSATIONALISM
Cornelius R. Stam, J. C. O’Hair, and Charles F. Baker are perhaps the best-known names connected with this type of ultradispensationalism, which is also taught, according to Charles C. Ryrie, by the Worldwide Grace Testimony (Grace Mission), Grace Gospel Fellowship, and Berean Bible Society. These ultradispensationalists believe that the Church began either (1) in Acts 9 (2) in Acts 13 or (3) in Acts 28. They observe the Lord’s Supper BUT REJECT WATER BAPTISM.

What is “the Church”?
“The Church” is a spiritual entity which was kept hidden from human knowledge until revealed at Pentecost and explained later by revelation to Paul. Peter went back to the prophecy of Joel (800 B.C.) to prove that the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles and their companions on the day of Pentecost following the resurrection of Christ was a partial fulfillment of this prophecy: “And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh…And it shall come to pass that whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” (Acts 1:17;21 cf. Joel 2:28-32). A few days later, Peter again preached, and included both Jews and “all the kindreds of the earth” (Gentiles) in God’s promise to bless with salvation all who would call upon the name of the Lord (Acts. 3:26). So those who turn away from their sins and turn to Christ receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (Acts. 3:26,2:38) and these, both Jews and Gentiles, constitute the Church.  

When did the Church begin?
The simple answer is on the day that Joel’s prophecy was partially fulfilled, and the Holy Ghost was given as a gift, first to the apostles and their companions, then to those gathered in Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost who repented and were converted (Acts 2:1-4; 38-41).   The first local assembly was the church at Jerusalem (Acts 2:41-47) and it is here that we see the word “church” used for the first time in the book of Acts: “AND THE LORD ADDED TO THE CHURCH [ekklesia = assembly] DAILY SUCH AS SHOULD BE SAVED (Acts 2:47).

Granted these were primarily Jews. However, shortly thereafter, and while Paul was still persecuting the Church, Philip preached to Samaritans [Gentiles] and to the Gentile Ethiopian eunuch  (Acts 8:1-40) and these were also “added to the Church”.

Are water baptism and the Lord’s Supper necessary for believers today?
Absolutely.  The Great Commission is still in force, the preaching of the Gospel to the whole wide world is still a necessity, and water baptism in obedience to the Risen Lord is an absolute command – it is interwoven with salvation in Matthew 28:19 and Mark 16:16.  Furthermore, the Lord Himself instituted the Lord’s Supper, and Paul simply taught what the Lord had already revealed to the other apostles, and also directly to Paul.  These are both symbolic “ordinances”, they are both a necessity for the believer, and they will remain until the Lord comes for His saints.

Are water baptism and the Lord’s Supper “sacraments” necessary for salvation within the “Mother Church” of Rome?
Absolutely NOT.  There is a difference of night and day between what Rome teaches and what the Word teaches.  Only those who are born of the Spirit, taught of the Spirit, and led by the Spirit will understand this.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 11:38:59 PM »

Like all other systematic theologies- some is correct and some is wrong. I don't think that there are major errors that would be contrary to the gospel of salvation by grace, but by the sheer fact that the ultra's(extreme) differ even among themselves is proof enough that there are some wweaknesses in their beliefs. I actually agree with a lot of what is taught but not in its entirity.

aw
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 11:55:21 PM »

Interesting post Sower!  Chalk me up to the regular ol' dispensationalist camp.  Thanks for posting this! Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
serapha

Redeemed! How I love to proclaim it!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 01:41:00 AM »

"heresy"

Charles Ryrie states,

"The weakness of ultradispensationalism is that it fails to recognize that the nature of a dispensation is based on what God does, not on human understanding of His purposes.  The error of ultradispensationalism lies in a faulty concept of a dispensation, exegesis of key passages, understanding when the mystery was revealed, and the baptizing ministry of the Holy Spirit.  The biblical evidence does not support ultradispensationalism."

~serapha~

«: *´`³³´`*:»§«:*´`³³´`*:»§«:*´`³³´`*:»§«:*´`³³´`*:»

All that glitters is not gold.

«: *´`³³´`*:»§«:*´`³³´`*:»§«:*´`³³´`*:»§«:*´`³³´`*:»
The Crusader
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 03:32:55 AM »

"heresy"

Charles Ryrie states,

"The weakness of ultradispensationalism is that it fails to recognize that the nature of a dispensation is based on what God does, not on human understanding of His purposes.  The error of ultradispensationalism lies in a faulty concept of a dispensation, exegesis of key passages, understanding when the mystery was revealed, and the baptizing ministry of the Holy Spirit.  The biblical evidence does not support ultradispensationalism."

~serapha~

Poor old Charles Ryrie, he needs a lot of prayer, with a lot of help. Just think how much money this guy gets for his false teachings.

The Crusader
The Crusader
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 03:35:30 AM »

This is me Sower

MODERATE ULTRADISPENSATIONALISM
Cornelius R. Stam, J. C. O’Hair, and Charles F. Baker are perhaps the best-known names connected with this type of ultradispensationalism, which is also taught, according to Charles C. Ryrie, by the Worldwide Grace Testimony (Grace Mission), Grace Gospel Fellowship, and Berean Bible Society. These ultradispensationalists believe that the Church began either (1) in Acts 9 (2) in Acts 13 or (3) in Acts 28. They observe the Lord’s Supper BUT REJECT WATER BAPTISM.

The Crusader Acts Chapter 9
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 04:20:58 AM »

I would have to say Baloney.

The additional tags, labels, and wording of the question doesn't make it worthy of Bull.

The hint or accusation of heresy on the part of the pastors and organizations listed doesn't even rate a reply.

The above is putting it mildly.

Tom

The Crusader
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 06:09:58 AM »

The Bible Truth, is the answer.

I would drop the ULTRA

The Crusader
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:06:57 PM »

Sower:

Amen, brother!  Ultradispensationalism is unscriptural, while dispensationalism is a right division of God's Word according to II Timothy 2:15 which says, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth."

The rejection of the three Gospels and saying their spiritual principles only apply to Jewish believers is a bunch of baloney!  Also, repentance is a part of salvation in that it means having a change of mind which is the Greek word metanoia.  Also, rejection of water baptism and the Great Commission which includes witnessing as applying to the Jewish believer is a improper division of God's Word.  Holy living and discipleship is important to the believer along with God's chastening is still applicable for today.  All the books of the New Testament and Old Testament are relevant for today not just the Pauline epistles or prison epistles of Paul.  The rejection of over 1/2 of the books of the New Testament is pure nonsense.  Read II Timothy 3:16.  I agree with you brother Sower.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 02:48:34 AM »

Hello Phillip,

It really depends on how each person defines Dispensationalism and Ultradispensationalism. These are tags made up by men that simply cause division and confusion. Each person asked could have a different definition for these terms, so they really don't mean anything.

One would have to ask very specific questions to determine right or wrong, and disagreements on some issues would mean very little. In fact, many men use divisions that are childish. By divisions, I'm talking about barring fellowship because of certain disagreements that are not Salvation issues. As an example, many people divide themselves over multiple kinds of baptism. Water baptism never saved a single person, but the HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD has a 100% success rate. Bluntly, a lot of the arguments are pretty silly and childish examples of semantics.

This thread didn't get very far because everyone had different ideas about what some of the terms meant. In case you're wondering, the entire Bible is profitable for instruction and understanding, but the entire Bible isn't written specifically to THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST today. Understanding the difference and how to apply it is what's important. Otherwise, we would all still be giving burnt offerings and sacrifices. The examples go on and on, but most of the arguments are pretty silly.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Colossians 2:13-17 NASB  When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him. Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day -- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

phillip

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »

In short, ultradispensationalism has many good Christians suckered into their wrongly dividing the truth of God's Word.  We are obligated to carry out the Great Commission as Gentiles and members of the body and bride of Christ, to be baptized by water (This is where the Baptists are right) to obey the Lord's command but not necessary for salvation, to repent or changing our minds about God, and to live holy lives for the Lord not for salvation but for surrendering their lives to the Lord which is our reasonable service.  (Romans 12:1-2)

Ultras are right that we are saved by grace through faith alone but are wrong in saying that a believer does not have changed lives, changed habits, and changed habits.  (I John 3:6-10)  They are also wrong in saying that the Gospels, the epistles of Peter, the books of I, II, and III John, Jude, Hebrews, James, and all other non-Pauline books only apply to Jews and not to Gentile Christians.  I do not see how any thinking Christian can treat the Bible like a restaurant buffet to pick and choose the parts of the Bible that apply to them.  This is categorically false according to II Timothy 2:15.  Paul would have rebuked this group soundly if we were alive today.  Also, the ultras will argue to the death that they have an absolute corner on all of God's truth.  Having been on a forum that was taken over by them, I was banned for posting anything contrary to what these papal-like authorities demanded!  They are intolerant in the extreme and would not agree with our Lord themselves!  I love them, and they are brethren, but I will not follow them or their teachings which deny the very near return of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Amen, Sower, I agree with you in your assessments of the ultradispensationalists!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »

Hello Brother Phillip,

You are most welcome to your opinion on anything, water baptism being one of them. Just know that what you have is only an opinion, and many disagree. Many also disagree, not just with all the labels, but with the various definitions many people have for the same label or tag. In short, the labels mean nothing.

We can disagree about water baptism and that's fine. By the way, we do disagree, and the Apostle Paul would also disagree. This is debated in numerous highly detailed threads already on the forum, so I won't debate it again. I'll just say that we disagree, and that doesn't bother me at all. I'll just give you one hint to study this further if you want to. You are mixing the earthly Kingdom with the CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST. That's a common problem, but it's a big one. Take it or leave it and go from there. I'll just tell you bluntly that if you don't have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and the Seal of the Holy Spirit on your heart - you aren't SAVED and it doesn't make any difference if you get water baptism dozens of times. Water baptism never saved a single person, and neither did the law. Water baptism was a Jewish purification ritual under the Law. I have many saved friends who believe differently, and that doesn't bother me at all. Believe what you want to about water baptism, just don't count on water baptism doing anything for you even if you did it several times per day. If you use soap and deodorant, it will do something, but it won't do the work of the HOLY SPIRIT! BUT, I won't argue with you and you're welcome to believe whatever you want. Believe me, all of the arguments on all sides are already on the forum, so don't waste your breath or hurt your fingers typing something that's already here dozens of times.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 4:4-6 NASB
There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 01:42:51 PM »

I would say I am a regular dispensationalist, but I had a teacher in Bible School that was an Ultradispensationalist, but he got angry if you called him that. Though I believe he was wrong in his beliefs in that area, there is no doubt that he was a man of God and I learned a lot from him.

He was eventually forced to leave his post because of his refusal to be baptized.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 07:09:08 AM »

Hello Brother Rhys,

I would say that I'm a regular Dispensationalist also, but I don't think there is anything wild about refusing a ritual of men. GOD didn't send the Apostle Paul to baptize, and it is bluntly taught there is only one baptism. If there is only one baptism in Salvation, it would obviously be by GOD HIMSELF - THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD. THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD takes up residence in the heart of the new believer, SEALS the heart of the new believer as a pledge of the promises of GOD, and sets the new believer apart as a possession of CHRIST. This happens at the moment of Salvation, and THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD doesn't need any water or help from man to complete this work. The thief on the Cross next to JESUS CHRIST is an obvious example.

I know what men say, and it doesn't bother me at all that many people want to be baptized by man and water. However, it doesn't mean a thing unless the work of THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD has already been done. I do understand why many people feel they need water baptism, and they are more than welcome to be baptized as many times as they want. John the Baptist spoke of ONE coming who he wasn't worthy to latch HIS sandals. The ONE John the Baptist spoke of was JESUS CHRIST, and John the Baptist said that JESUS CHRIST would Baptize with the HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD. This and much more most certainly came to pass and was fulfilled MOST perfectly. JESUS CHRIST uses LIVING WATER THAT SPRINGS UP INTO ETERNAL LIFE! The water in a baptistery is just plain water that doesn't have the power to do anything at all. The same is true for the man who directs the ritual, so I give thanks and am quite happy to rely and trust in the WORK OF GOD - not men. If someone else feels that they need this, I have no problem at all. I would simply pray that the WORK OF GOD was done first. If not, they would be LOST.

Love In Christ,
Tom

dan p

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »

1 Tim 1: 4 , is how I define dispensation. The last part of the verse  , the word edifying is not in the Greek text. The verse should read ; neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than God's dispensation which is in faith. Does't that mean that to be in the faith you have a Pauline DISPENSATIONISTS, period. Yes it does.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the