Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:17:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286821 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Do we have any linux fans?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do we have any linux fans?  (Read 1988 times)
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 02:01:36 PM »

Another wierd thing. I downloaded a cleaner, which I can see physically on the desktop. I can see the icon. But everytime I try to run the command to install it, whether from user or root, if that matters, I keep getting the message, "file not found." A tech guy from the company that makes the cleaner couldn't figure out how to open it, either... Huh

Tabre

Love is everything.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 03:42:39 PM »

You'll want to make sure that that file has proper priveliges set up on it. Even root can't run it if it's not set to execute.
You can change this with the chmod command. Use the command "man chmod" for more help using this command. And hey man nobody should laugh at you for using Mandrake. They should know that you're good because you're using Linux and not Windows! Someday you'll move on to the more challenging distros like Debian and you'll love it but everyone has to start somewhere.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 08:11:22 PM »

Thank you for your kind words and for your willingness to help-I really appreciate it.
Here's an interesting incident: after all that time on the phone with tech, trying to figure out why I couldn't find the path for the command to work, I recieved a message with this timely tip:

Double click the icon.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Well, to at least partially justify myself, I didn't have the icon in the beginning. So we did make progress there, and I did manage to install it using this, er, "new technique."

Then I went to the console as user, and ran the command to commence the scan. It's still running even as I type. When I run it under user it keeps saying access denied. Certain files it says it is unable to open, and some from the lib directory it says, "File read error during scan," and there's one in lib that says, "Illegal structures in scanned file. But this I did as user. So now I just started it under root, and it seems to be doing okay. Smiley So far.

How do I do what you were saying before, to do the reinstall? My whole introduction to computers besides cut/paste is here, with Linux. But I want to get good at it so I can learn more about the program you were telling me about. This is getting fun! (Now that the program is running...Smiley )

Tabre

Love is everything.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 09:11:40 PM »

Ya it feels good when you accomplish something on a linux box. Feels like you're learning. The chmod usage would go something like this... (this might work for being able to run as a normal user) as root....

% chmod (filename) u+x

It's like saying to the computer (Change mode of (filename) for user(u) to executeable status (x). But if you type it like I put it above, it should work on that file.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 09:22:56 PM »

Oh, I get it! That's neat! I'll try it.  Smiley

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 10:29:25 PM »

Well, I just finished the scan. It says no viruses were found, but it also couldn't open 20 files. *sigh*

I used the Norman, which is a command line scanner. I wonder if that is enough. Does that include trojan horses?  

Tabre

Love is everything.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 10:32:34 PM »

No problem man. If you run into anything else, just let me know. I'll be glad to help out.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2004, 10:48:58 PM »

Thank you very muc for your help-I appreciate it.

Tabre

Love is everything.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 10:52:12 PM »

There are very few viruses ever written for Linux but I would say it is probably enough to pick up a virus. You may want to check to see if there are updates for the antivirus software. Also, to answer the question about trojans....Most antivirus software detects viruses and worms and trojans but sometimes they can slip past.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2004, 01:16:25 AM »

Thank you for your kind advice.

Hm. I know for a fact there's spyware, but this scanner didn't catch it for some reason. An incorrect signature would indicate that? 20 files couldn't be opened. I'm going for doctor web next...

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the