Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:54:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Empowered!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Empowered!  (Read 1291 times)
holypursuit

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2007, 05:31:35 AM »

Read: Judges 7: 9-15            Empowered!

"Thy God hath commanded thy strength: strengthen, O God, that which thou hast wrought for us.”
Ps.68:28

In our reading today, Gideon needed reassurance that God had already delivered the enemy into his hands. God told Gideon that if he were to take his servant with him and go down towards the camp of the enemy, he would hear something that would strengthen him. Gideon followed instruction and when he came there he heard a dream being shared and its interpretation was that Gideon would indeed defeat the Midianites because God had delivered them into his hands. On hearing this Gideon immediately worshipped God for he completely believed now what God had spoken. He was also strengthened to go forth and boldly declare this to the rest of the Israelites. What we hear and how we hear, greatly determine the effectiveness of what we do. Words of encouragement build, words of discouragement tear down.

When Nehemiah was building the wall of Jerusalem along with others, their enemies came to taunt them and mock what they were doing. Whenever anyone gave ear to what the enemy had to say they felt weakened and fearful. Nehemiah knew where to turn to for strength and focus, He turned to God and prayed. “For they all made us afraid, saying, Their hands shall be weakened from the work, that it be not done. Now therefore, O God, strengthen my hands.” Neh. 6:9  When God gives you a job to do, remember not everyone is for you. Not everyone is going to share your vision. There will be those who will try to weaken you and hinder you by their words and their actions. You need to keep focused on God and ask God for the strength you need to continue in believing. God was willing to confirm his word to Gideon and God is willing to do that for you. “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness” Isa. 41:10. There is no better place to seek encouragement than from the Lord himself. There will come times in our lives when we have no one else we can turn to. David the shepherd boy knew this when he was running for his life from Saul. “And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.” 1 Sa.30:6

When Gideon was strengthened his immediate response was worship. The one who can worship in the face of a difficult situation is one who has understood that victory has already been granted. Such a person is not shaken by what he sees or hears. Gideon saw with his own eyes that the enemy was spread roundabout like the “sand of the sea” yet he believed God. True faith believes God despite the contradictions it sees. “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” Heb.11:1

When you have entered a place of believing the Word of God you not only receive strength yourself but you are empowered to strengthen others. Gideon returned to the camp that day and encouraged the Israelites with the same words that God had encouraged him. We see this also in the account of Paul the Apostle, when as a prisoner on a ship, was faced with life threatening situations yet he continued to believe God and encouraged the others. “Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me” Acts 27: 25
May we come into the place of believing God and His word to us and may we be of those who strengthen and build up others by words of encouragement and faith.  Amen!.

"And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.” Ps. 90:17

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the