Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:16:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Group Plans To Picket Va. Tech Funerals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Group Plans To Picket Va. Tech Funerals  (Read 2786 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »

Group Plans To Picket Va. Tech Funerals

Anti-Gay Religious Group Known For Protesting At Services For U.S. Soldiers Killed In Iraq
David Miller.

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians.

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said. “You don’t need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell.”

Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech student responsible for the killings who took his own life after the shootings, was sent by God to punish those he killed, and America as a whole, for moral decline, said Phelps-Roper, while adding that she believes Cho is also in hell for violating God’s commandment to not kill.

“He is in hell,” Phelps-Roper said. “But he was also fulfilling the word of God.”

Because of its virulent anti-gay message and condemnation of Catholics, Jews and other groups, the WBC has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League.

Curtis Dahn, the president of Virginia Tech’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Alliance, said he reacted with immediate disgust upon hearing of the WBC's plans. “Thirty-three people are dead and they’re using people’s deaths and people’s grief to further their own agenda and it’s just disgusting,” he said.

Dahn was friends with Ryan Clark, a resident assistant in Ambler Johnston Hall, who was among the first people killed on Monday. He said he is working with other university leaders and officials to form a response to the WBC. Ideally, he said, the funerals will be nothing more than a chance for family and friends to mourn in peace.

“Part of it is that I don’t want the families to be affected by this at all,” he said. “I don’t even want the funerals’ locations to be public knowledge. I don’t want a protest, I don’t want a counter-protest. I want people to be able to grieve and have what they want, not be made into public displays and mockeries.”

Dahn and others may have the law on their side. In 2006, in response to protests at the funerals of dead U.S. soldiers, Virginia enacted a law that added funerals and memorial services to the state’s disorderly conduct statute. Other states have adopted similar measures to allow police to keep WBC protesters out of earshot.

Group Plans To Picket Va. Tech Funerals

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:31:04 PM »

Some day someone's going to take a pot-shot at them. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.  Undecided

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:45:21 PM »

This is outrageous!  As if these families haven't suffered enough.  Angry Angry

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Okie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:27:32 AM »

I am hoping the Patriot Guard will be there to show those people the door. The Phelps group give Christianity a bad name.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:20:33 AM »

That would be nice. I am a member of the Patriot Guard. Currently there is no mention of it by the Patriot Guard leadership.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
barelahh
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:52:06 PM »

Some day someone's going to take a pot-shot at them. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.  Undecided

need any volenteers??
Cheesy
ajharris

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »

need any volenteers??
Cheesy

Bare, Just cause you live where they filmed Deliverance, don't mean you gotta act like em!!! Wink
barelahh
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 04:17:38 PM »

Bare, Just cause you live where they filmed Deliverance, don't mean you gotta act like em!!! Wink

Tongue PBBBbbbbbbbbbblllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeehhhh

ajharris

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:19:36 PM »

I know, I know. Mom told me if I couldn't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all! Smiley
barelahh
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »

I know, I know. Mom told me if I couldn't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all! Smiley
LOL
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 08:24:17 PM »

I am hoping the Patriot Guard will be there to show those people the door. The Phelps group give Christianity a bad name.

So true....people like this definitely give Christianity and Christians a bad name....a very bad name.  This group is playing into the evil one's hands, and they don't even know it.

Let's all remember Jesus' words "love thy neighbor as thyself".  This doesn't mean we have to agree with immorality....but we do need to reach out to all with the love and forgiveness of Christ.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 08:39:06 PM »

And people talk about me, hijacking threads........... Grin

Well Pplllluuuuuuphhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! on both of y'all.......... Grin Grin Grin
That is also known as a *rasberry*

barelahh
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »

And people talk about me, hijacking threads........... Grin

Well Pplllluuuuuuphhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! on both of y'all.......... Grin Grin Grin
That is also known as a *rasberry*
Yep it is Cheesy  and to stay on topic so I won't be hijacking, when i get my harley fatboy, i'll be a patriot guard myself...
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 09:43:13 PM »

Yep it is Cheesy  and to stay on topic so I won't be hijacking, when i get my harley fatboy, i'll be a patriot guard myself...

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 09:51:36 PM »

You don't have to have a bike to be a Patriot Guard. I have attended in my power wheelchair.    Wink Grin

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the