Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Huge asteroid to fly closely past Earth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Huge asteroid to fly closely past Earth  (Read 2046 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »

Huge asteroid to fly closely past Earth
Half-mile-wide rock to streak by just beyond moon's distance

An orbital diagram shows the positions of the inner planets as
well as asteroid 2004 XP14, which follows a more inclined orbit
(shown in blue).

By Joe Rao
Skywatching columnist
Updated: 12:38 a.m. MT June 26, 2006

An asteroid possibly as large as a half-mile or more in diameter is rapidly approaching the Earth. There is no need for concern, for no collision is in the offing, but the space rock will make an exceptionally close approach to our planet early on Monday, July 3, passing just beyond the Moon’s average distance from Earth.

Astronomers will attempt to get a more accurate assessment of the asteroid’s size by “pinging” it with radar.

And skywatchers with good telescopes and some experience just might be able to get a glimpse of this cosmic rock as it streaks rapidly past our planet in the wee hours Monday. The closest approach occurs late Sunday for West Coast skywatchers in the United States.

The asteroid, designated 2004 XP14, was discovered on Dec. 10, 2004 by the Lincoln Laboratory Near Earth Asteroid Research (LINEAR), a continuing camera survey to keep watch for asteroids that may pass uncomfortably close to Earth.

Although initially there were concerns that this asteroid might possibly impact Earth later this century and thus merit special monitoring, further analysis of its orbit has since ruled out any such collision, at least in the foreseeable future.

Size not known
Asteroid 2004 XP14 is a member of a class of asteroids known as Apollo, which have Earth-crossing orbits. The name comes from 1862 Apollo, the first asteroid of this group to be discovered. There are now 1,989 known Apollos.

The size of 2004 XP 14 is not precisely known. But based on its brightness, the diameter is believed to be somewhere in the range of 1,345 to 3,018-feet  (410 to 920 meters). That's between a quarter mile and just over a half-mile wide.

Due to the proximity of its orbit to Earth and its estimated size, this object has been classified as a “Potentially Hazardous Asteroid” by the Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts. There are currently 783 PNAs.

The latest calculations show that 2004 XP14 will pass closest to Earth at 04:25 UT on July 3 (12:25 a.m. EDT or 9:25 p.m. PDT on July 2).  The asteroid’s distance from Earth at that moment will be 268,624-miles (432,308 km), or just 1.1 times the Moon’s average distance from Earth.

Spotting 2004 XP14 will be a challenge, best accomplished by seasoned observers with moderate-sized telescopes.

On April 13, 2029, observers in Asia and North Africa will have a chance to see another asteroid, but without needing a telescope. Asteroid 99942 Apophis, about 1,000 feet (300 meters) wide, is expected to be visible to the naked eye as it passes within 20,000 miles (32,000 km). Astronomers say an asteroid that large comes that close about once every 1,500 years.

Observing plans
As 2004 XP14 makes its closest approach to Earth, astronomers will attempt to gauge its size and shape by analysis of very high frequency radio waves reflected from its surface.

Such radar measurements of the exact distance and velocity of the asteroid will allow for precise information on its orbit.  From this scientists can also discern details of the asteroid’s mass, as well as a measurement of its density, which is a very important indicator of its overall composition and internal structure.

Astronomers plan to utilize NASA's 70-meter (230-foot) diameter Goldstone radar, the largest and most sensitive antenna in its Deep Space Network.  Located in California’s Mojave Desert, the Goldstone antenna has been used to bounce radio signals off other Near-Earth asteroids many times before, and it is now being readied to “ping” 2004 XP14 on July 3, 4 and 5.

Augmenting the Goldstone observations will be radar observations scheduled at Evpatoria in the Ukraine, commencing several hours prior to the July 3 observations at Goldstone.

Huge asteroid to fly closely past Earth

Acts 2:19 And I will show wonders in the sky above and signs on the earth beneath, blood and fire and smoking vapor;

Mizar
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 06:53:49 AM »

2004 XP14 is not the one to watch out for. These are the ones to watch out for:

7 ¶  The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.
8  And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
9  And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.
10  And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star* from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
11  And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
(Revelation 8 )

* "asteroid" = "like a star"
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:01:10 PM »

2004 XP14 is not the one to watch out for.
* "asteroid" = "like a star"
I know that Mizar, sides it would be to early.  Cheesy

Mizar
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »

You're right. But I find it interesting that within only the last few years the possibility of Revelation 8 being literally fulfilled via asteroid/comet collision has not only become mainstream news but also a credible subject for the film industry. So it's in the public consciousness already - people are "without excuse".
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 02:22:13 AM »

You're right. But I find it interesting that within only the last few years the possibility of Revelation 8 being literally fulfilled via asteroid/comet collision has not only become mainstream news but also a credible subject for the film industry. So it's in the public consciousness already - people are "without excuse".
AMEN Mizar AMEN!!

The closest approach occurs late Sunday for West Coast skywatchers in the United States.
I'm planning on watching, this asteroid if I can find it. Cheesy Cheesy

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 08:55:28 AM »

This is a wake up call for those who have been waiting for the last minute to jump on the band wagon, they don't know how close we are. This will also show many that man cannot do anything to stop God's Awesome Wonder. They cannot rely on their own strength or intelligence.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Mizar
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:03:23 AM »

Quote from: DreamWeaver
I'm planning on watching, this asteroid if I can find it. Cheesy Cheesy

This page has hints on observing it (you'll need a telescope) and its expected hourly positions.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 10:10:17 AM »

Thanks for the link Mizar  Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Mizar
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 10:54:45 AM »

You're very welcome, Ma'am.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 11:30:26 AM »

Seems like other news sources are now picking this story up. This is only 1 of 5 stories I found.
====================================================

Asteroid Near-Miss Set to Happen July 3

Thursday , June 29, 2006

An asteroid possibly as large as a half-mile or more in diameter is rapidly approaching the Earth.

There is no need for concern, for no collision is in the offing, but the space rock will make an exceptionally close approach to our planet early on Monday, July 3, passing just beyond the Moon's average distance from Earth.

Astronomers will attempt to get a more accurate assessment of the asteroid's size by "pinging" it with radar.

And skywatchers with good telescopes and some experience just might be able to get a glimpse of this cosmic rock as it streaks rapidly past our planet in the wee hours Monday. The closest approach occurs late Sunday for U.S. West Coast skywatchers.

The asteroid, designated 2004 XP14, was discovered on Dec. 10, 2004 by the Lincoln Laboratory Near Earth Asteroid Research (LINEAR), a continuing camera survey to keep watch for asteroids that may pass uncomfortably close to Earth.

Although initially there were concerns that this asteroid might possibly impact Earth later this century and thus merit special monitoring, further analysis of its orbit has since ruled out any such collision, at least in the foreseeable future.

Size not known

Asteroid 2004 XP14 is a member of a class of asteroids known as Apollo, which have Earth-crossing orbits. The name comes from 1862 Apollo, the first asteroid of this group to be discovered in 1932. There are now 1,989 known Apollos.

The size of 2004 XP 14 is not precisely known. But based on its brightness, the diameter is believed to be somewhere in the range of 1,345 to 3,018 feet (410 to 920 meters). That's between a quarter-mile and a bit more than a half-mile wide.

Due to the proximity of its orbit to Earth and its estimated size, this object has been classified as a "Potentially Hazardous Asteroid" (PHA) by the Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts. There are currently 783 PHAs.

The latest calculations show that 2004 XP14 will pass closest to Earth at 04:25 Universal Time on July 3 (12:25 a.m. EDT, or 9:25 p.m. PDT on July 2).

The asteroid's distance from Earth at that moment will be 268,624 miles (432,308 km), or just 1.1 times the Moon's average distance from Earth.

Spotting 2004 XP14 will be a challenge, best accomplished by seasoned observers with moderate-sized telescopes.

On April 13, 2029, observers in Asia and North Africa will have a chance to see another asteroid, but without needing a telescope.

Asteroid 99942 Apophis, about 1,000 feet (300 meters) wide, is expected to be visible to the naked eye as it passes within 20,000 miles (32,000 km), inside the orbits of geosynchronous communications satellites.

Astronomers say an asteroid that large comes that close about once every 1,500 years, although 99942 Apophis will likely swing by again in 2036.

Observing plans

As 2004 XP14 makes its closest approach to Earth, astronomers will attempt to gauge its size and shape by analysis of very-high-frequency radio waves reflected from its surface.

Such radar measurements of the exact distance and velocity of the asteroid will allow for precise information on its orbit.

From this scientists can also discern details of the asteroid's mass, as well as a measurement of its density, which is a very important indicator of its overall composition and internal structure.

Astronomers plan to utilize NASA's 70-meter (230-foot) diameter Goldstone radar, the largest and most sensitive antenna in its Deep Space Network.

Located in California's Mojave Desert, the Goldstone antenna has been used to bounce radio signals off other Near-Earth asteroids many times before, and it is now being readied to "ping" 2004 XP14 on July 3, 4 and 5.

Augmenting the Goldstone observations will be radar observations scheduled at Evpatoria in the Ukraine, commencing several hours prior to the July 3 observations at Goldstone.

Asteroid Near-Miss Set to Happen July 3

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 11:34:10 AM »

Different news medias and scientists seem to have a different take on this. I just heard it on the news as it's path being "dangerously close" to the earth.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 11:45:25 AM »

I wonder if ot's proximity to the moon will have an effect on earth, you know such as tsunamis or tides higher than usual. I also wonder if it can be viewed from the east coast.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 11:48:09 AM »

I don't think even the scientists can answer that first question. They can't even get the weather correct.   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 11:51:43 AM »

they can't even figure out where that big asteroid came from since they insist there was a big bang and that was so many millions of years ago, by now that one according to their beliefs (my thoughts) should have been a small planet or a moon.

By the way there was a big bang God spoke and BANG! it happened.  Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 11:53:57 AM »

By the way there was a big bang God spoke and BANG! it happened.  Grin
AMEN!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the