Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  About You! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hello!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1603 times)
Music4Him

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2004, 12:23:07 AM »

Hello!  My name is Ellen.  I got saved when I was 10 years old, and I go to a Baptist church. I have played the piano for about 13 years, and I started learning to play the clarinet about 2 years ago.  I play the piano for the children's choir at my church, and I play my clarinet in the church orchestra. That's really why I decided to make my ID Music4Him. I'm in college right now getting my AA degree and I'm studying to be a sign language interpreter. I have been looking for a nice Christian forum to join, and I came upon this one in my search. I really like it because you all base what you say on what the Bible says. You all are also very encouraging which I really admire. I hope to get to know you all here, and I know I will enjoy it here very much!  Thanks so much!

Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it. Hebrews 11:1
   The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 12:29:13 AM »

Hello!  My name is Ellen.  I got saved when I was 10 years old, and I go to a Baptist church. I have played the piano for about 13 years, and I started learning to play the clarinet about 2 years ago.  I play the piano for the children's choir at my church, and I play my clarinet in the church orchestra. That's really why I decided to make my ID Music4Him. I'm in college right now getting my AA degree and I'm studying to be a sign language interpreter. I have been looking for a nice Christian forum to join, and I came upon this one in my search. I really like it because you all base what you say on what the Bible says. You all are also very encouraging which I really admire. I hope to get to know you all here, and I know I will enjoy it here very much!  Thanks so much!

Hello, M4H welcome to Christians Unite forums........
I think it is funny that a person, would join now........

When it is known that I am 80+% deaf. Grin Anyway welcome sister. Grin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 12:30:00 AM by DreamWeaver » Logged

Music4Him

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 02:48:00 PM »

Thanks, dreamweaver!  Why do you think it's funny I join now?

Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it. Hebrews 11:1
   The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 04:49:35 PM »

Thanks, dreamweaver!  Why do you think it's funny I join now?

A deaf person is here.......................

Sooner or later I figured, a sign language interpreter would show up. Grin
Which are you going to interpret, ASL, SEE, Or the other one that just started, or all the above? Grin

There is no malice in my post to you M4H. Grin

Music4Him

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »

Oh, I know you didn't mean anything bad by that. I was just curious. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I think it's so cool that the first person I met here is a deaf person! Grin I'm really not an interpreter just yet.  I'm studying to be one though. Right now I'm in the middle of reading a book called So You Want To Be An Interpreter! Grin I don't graduate until spring of 2006 so I have a while yet, and I'm still learning a lot. In my school they are trying to teach the students ASL first before we learn Signed English, CASE,and SEE. They say we learn ASL first because it is the hardest to get used to since most of us students were raised by hearing parents and taught only English.  I'm going to try to learn all the different forms, but I'm working on my ASL the most right now because it really is the hardest for me. So have you been deaf all your life? And have you been raised up on sign language?  I'm really glad to have met you! If you don't mind, can I come to you for advice if I have any questions?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 10:38:17 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Music4Him,

I pray that God will richly bless you in your efforts to serve HIM.

It really makes me happy to hear young people wanting to serve our Lord and Saviour with the talents HE has given them.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 12:38:55 AM »

Oh, I know you didn't mean anything bad by that. I was just curious. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I think it's so cool that the first person I met here is a deaf person! Grin I'm really not an interpreter just yet.  I'm studying to be one though. Right now I'm in the middle of reading a book called So You Want To Be An Interpreter! Grin I don't graduate until spring of 2006 so I have a while yet, and I'm still learning a lot. In my school they are trying to teach the students ASL first before we learn Signed English, CASE,and SEE. They say we learn ASL first because it is the hardest to get used to since most of us students were raised by hearing parents and taught only English.  I'm going to try to learn all the different forms, but I'm working on my ASL the most right now because it really is the hardest for me. So have you been deaf all your life? And have you been raised up on sign language?  I'm really glad to have met you! If you don't mind, can I come to you for advice if I have any questions?
CASE, thats the one I couldn't remember........
Yes I have been this way since I can remember. For me English is a second language, ASL is my first language.
Yes you may ask me questions on most anything Ellen, by PM or in a thread.

Music4Him

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 05:33:32 PM »

Hehe, I feel so welcome!  Grin Thank you Blackeyedpeas for your encouragement!  I did have a question though.  Um, this will probably sound really dumb but here goes.  When you post, I saw that you are able to put quotes from other people on your posts.  Would you mind telling me how that is done?  
    I do have a question for you, Dreamweaver.  There is a new technology that has just come out called the Video Relay Service.  Have you heard of it?  I'm just curious about how deaf people feel about it.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 01:27:27 AM »

Hehe, I feel so welcome!  Grin Thank you Blackeyedpeas for your encouragement!  I did have a question though.  Um, this will probably sound really dumb but here goes.  When you post, I saw that you are able to put quotes from other people on your posts.  Would you mind telling me how that is done?

Hello Music4Him,

I would be most happy to tell you. One can hit the reply key at the top or bottom of each page and make a post to anyone you wish. OR, you can hit the quote key on the specific message you wish to reply to, and the forum software will automatically include the entire message in a quote for you. You simply reply after you see the the end quote that looks like this " {/quote} " Note - I had to use {} to let you see the command. The actual command is surrounded by []. You can also remove any portion of the quoted material before you reply.

On some posts, you might wish to use only a small portion of another person's post as a quote. In that case, it is easier to highlight the material you wish to quote with your mouse, right click, and give the command copy. There is a command bar above the message editing window. On the bottom row of commands, second from the right, is an insert quote command. Wherever you wish to insert the quote, press that, place the mouse cursor in the center of the quote commands, right click the mouse, and give the command paste. BINGO!, you have a quote.

There might be times that you wish to quote and reply numerous times in the same post. You would simply insert an end quote command "{/quote} Note - I had to use {} to let you see the command. The actual command is surrounded by []., make your reply, edit the remaining quote however you wish, place a begin quote command, an end quote command, and your reply to each. Until you get used to it, I suggest that you use the preview message command to see if you got what you wanted before pushing the post command.

I hope this helps. If you place your mouse cursor over the commands on top of the message editing window, you will see a brief note about what each command does. Bold, italic, underlined, text color, font, font size, and more is easily available. Let's say you press the "B" key on the top left command row. That means bold, and the system will automatically insert a beginning and ending bold command for you. You simply place your mouse cursor in the dead center of the beginning and ending command and start typing.

There's a lot you will get comfortable with quickly, but holler if you need help.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 01:33:43 AM »

I do have a question for you, Dreamweaver.  There is a new technology that has just come out called the Video Relay Service.  Have you heard of it?  I'm just curious about how deaf people feel about it.

No I haven't heard about the Video Relay Service. I do live in a small country town. We are the last to find things, like this out.

Music4Him

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 06:07:01 PM »

Hello Music4Him,

I would be most happy to tell you. One can hit the reply key at the top or bottom of each page and make a post to anyone you wish. OR, you can hit the quote key on the specific message you wish to reply to, and the forum software will automatically include the entire message in a quote for you. You simply reply after you see the the end quote that looks like this " {/quote} " Note - I had to use {} to let you see the command. The actual command is surrounded by []. You can also remove any portion of the quoted material before you reply.

On some posts, you might wish to use only a small portion of another person's post as a quote. In that case, it is easier to highlight the material you wish to quote with your mouse, right click, and give the command copy. There is a command bar above the message editing window. On the bottom row of commands, second from the right, is an insert quote command. Wherever you wish to insert the quote, press that, place the mouse cursor in the center of the quote commands, right click the mouse, and give the command paste. BINGO!, you have a quote.

There might be times that you wish to quote and reply numerous times in the same post. You would simply insert an end quote command "{/quote} Note - I had to use {} to let you see the command. The actual command is surrounded by []., make your reply, edit the remaining quote however you wish, place a begin quote command, an end quote command, and your reply to each. Until you get used to it, I suggest that you use the preview message command to see if you got what you wanted before pushing the post command.

I hope this helps. If you place your mouse cursor over the commands on top of the message editing window, you will see a brief note about what each command does. Bold, italic, underlined, text color, font, font size, and more is easily available. Let's say you press the "B" key on the top left command row. That means bold, and the system will automatically insert a beginning and ending bold command for you. You simply place your mouse cursor in the dead center of the beginning and ending command and start typing.

There's a lot you will get comfortable with quickly, but holler if you need help.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Thanks so much for all your help!  I think I got it! Grin

No I haven't heard about the Video Relay Service. I do live in a small country town. We are the last to find things, like this out.

The Video Relay Service is something that just came out, so I'm not really surprised you haven't heard of it. I just did a research paper on it for my Interpreting class.  It's a device that hooks up either to your PC or your television, and it has a little camera on it.  You can contact deaf friends who have this device and hearing people through it.  How?  If you want to contact another deaf friend with VRS, you type in their number on a special remote (given to you in the package) or you type it in on the computer.  Then if your friend can answer the call, he or she will come up on the tv/PC screen (because of the cameras), and you two can see each other.  Therefore, you can communicate in sign language even if you're not in the same room.  If you want to contact a hearing person, using your system you would conact an operator at VRS.  There they have trained interpreters.  You give the interpreter the number of the hearing person you want to reach.  The interpreter will dial it and interpret over the phone between you and the hearing person.  It's a pretty cool thing, but not many people have heard of it or have it yet.  This is a website for it: http://www.s-vision.com/

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 06:44:09 PM »

OMGosh, I am truly sorry I forgot to welcome you Ellen  Cry .

Have a Wonderdul Day in the Lord!!!!

Blessings,  \o/

KristiAnn

Music4Him

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 12:46:32 PM »

OMGosh, I am truly sorry I forgot to welcome you Ellen  Cry .

Have a Wonderdul Day in the Lord!!!!

Blessings,  \o/

KristiAnn

No problem.  I'm so glad to be here and thank you for everything! Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 03:06:39 PM »

The Video Relay Service is something that just came out, so I'm not really surprised you haven't heard of it. I just did a research paper on it for my Interpreting class.  It's a device that hooks up either to your PC or your television, and it has a little camera on it.  You can contact deaf friends who have this device and hearing people through it.  How?  If you want to contact another deaf friend with VRS, you type in their number on a special remote (given to you in the package) or you type it in on the computer.  Then if your friend can answer the call, he or she will come up on the tv/PC screen (because of the cameras), and you two can see each other.  Therefore, you can communicate in sign language even if you're not in the same room.  If you want to contact a hearing person, using your system you would conact an operator at VRS.  There they have trained interpreters.  You give the interpreter the number of the hearing person you want to reach.  The interpreter will dial it and interpret over the phone between you and the hearing person.  It's a pretty cool thing, but not many people have heard of it or have it yet.  This is a website for it: http://www.s-vision.com/
Thank you Ellen I will check it out. Grin

Jesusinme

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 11:50:35 AM »

Hi Ellen Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the