Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:26:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286823 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Christian Devotional
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Christian Devotional  (Read 78966 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #855 on: August 08, 2009, 12:25:05 AM »

Are you offended?

Psalms 62:5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.

It never ceases to amaze me, the way the devil uses our offenses and our "offendedness" to divide and conquer marriages, relationships, churches -- even entire nations!

Many of us are not careful enough about the things we say and more importantly, we get offended way too easily. As we were discussing this topic recently, a good friend gave this analogy and we loved it:

If you are holding a baby and his little arm swats you in the face, would you take offense to that? Of course not! We know the little guy didn't intend to hurt us. We respond with "awwww" or laughter or something to that effect. But if it is a friend, a family member or a brother or sister in the church who offends us with a little swat of his words or actions, we are undone. We expect more from them! What hypocrisy! We become angry and we want to defend ourselves, fight back or leave forever.

Yeshua (Jesus) said NO! He said that even if someone despitefully uses us, that means on purpose, that we are to respond in love! We as human beings are troubled and sinful. We are not perfect and we should never expect others to be, no matter what their positions are in the church. God is perfect and He is the one from whom our expectations should come -- no man.

Am I talking to you today? We are all guilty of this one way or another. Let's give our offenses to the Lord. Allow Him wash over us today. Allow Him Heal us. Get us back to where we need to be. There's so much work to be done.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: August 08, 2009, 12:27:14 AM »

Pass over!

Matthew 6:14-15 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

This evening begins the celebration of the Biblical holiday of Pesach (Passover), the day we remember God's merciful redemption of the Jewish people from Egypt. When the final plague struck Pharoh and the Egyptians in Exodus, those who were spared were were the ones who applied blood to their doorposts as God warned. Interestingly, the blood that God required them to apply then was the blood of a spotless, unblemished lamb.

As believers in Messiah, we are blessed to have the blood of Jesus, our Passover Lamb, applied upon the doorposts of our hearts. The judgment we deserve has passed over us! And thankfully we can celebrate His redemption in our lives as well this season.

While this is a special time to celebrate God's passing over our sins, there is one thing we sometimes overlook. Not only should we remember the Lord's passing over our sins, but equally important is our obedience in passing over others' sins. Forgive our tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us. This is the way Jesus taught us to pray, is it not? Today we have the opportunity to make this prayer a reality in our lives.

Has someone offended you? Committed a sin against you? It happens, and unfortunately, it will probably happen again, as we live in a world full of sin. But we need to pass over those offenses just as God has passed over ours.

Passover is the season to give our hurts to the Lord. Let's allow Him to heal and free us, and those we've hurt and who've hurt us. We have been forgiven many offenses by the innocent blood of our Messiah. How much more should we forgive?

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: August 08, 2009, 12:28:16 AM »

Choose this day whom you will serve!

Exodus 12:2-3 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you. Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:

Every 10th of Nisan, four days before Pesach, the children of Israel would choose a lamb for Passover. Each man would take a lamb for his household; It would take four days to inspect it to make sure it was perfect and without blemish for the sacrifice.

Can you imagine having a lamb at home for four days -- the children feeding it, petting it, perhaps even naming it -- only to know that it would have to die soon?

We also have a Lamb to choose today. Yeshua (Jesus), our perfect Passover lamb who is without blemish. Some of us reading this today may already have chosen Him. Some of us may have forgotten of our choice, and yet some may be undecided. But regardless of where you stand, now is the time to make a choice for Him.

Today is the day of salvation and to remember the great work of atonement which brought us out of bondage from Egypt (both physical and spiritual). Let's make today a special day in our hearts to allow the Lamb of God come and do a new work of holiness in us. There's so much work to be done!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #858 on: August 08, 2009, 12:29:09 AM »

Prepare the way!

Isaiah 40:3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

Many believers have a special place, a quiet place where they go to spend time with the Lord. This is a very important thing. But how many believers have actually 'prepared a way' for the Lord? As sacred as that special quiet place is to us, it is limited. It has definite boundaries. But a way never ends--it goes on and on. The key of a life of blessing is not preparing God places to fill, but preparing a way for Him. The Hebrew word for way is 'derech'. Derech means a path, or a way of life.

If we want to be blessed, we need to prepare a derech in our lives. We need to develop Godly ways, Godly habits, Godly consistency and practices. We need to turn all our holy places into holy ways that carry on throughout our daily lives. The blessings of God need to flow through us to others around us-- let's give Him a derech through which to do so. There's so much work to be done!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #859 on: August 08, 2009, 12:30:11 AM »

The blood must be applied!

Exodus 12:12-13 For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD. And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

As our family prepared and led a Passover Seder this year in South Carolina, the Lord reminded me of a truth which I had understood, but never had seen so clearly applied from the Passover story.

Of course the celebration of Passover for believers normally emphasizes the revelation of our Passover Lamb -- the Lamb of God, Yeshua, who was delivered up, a Lamb without blemish, and sacrificed in our place as an offering for our sins. As Israel celebrates deliverance from slavery, we celebrate deliverance from the bondage of sin. We celebrate knowing that death no longer has power over us since we pass from this temporal world into the eternal when we die.

Furthermore, when the children of Israel were passed over, while each of the firstborn of Egypt died, Israel did not depart as penniless slaves. They left carrying with them the riches of Egypt! Likewise, we who were were spiritually "penniless" when we came to the Lamb, instantaneously inherited riches beyond our imagination. These are two of the wonderful lessons from the Passover event.

But this year, as I studied in preparation for our Seder another truth has struck me powerfully-- the blood needed to be applied! If the children of Israel had merely believed in the power of the lamb's blood, and the word of Moses, but never applied it to their doorposts, the angel of death would still have killed their firstborn! A passive belief in the blood would not have saved them -- action was required -- the blood needed to be applied to their doorpost. Once the blood was applied, a line was drawn across which the angel of death could not pass!

Most of us have an understanding of the power of the blood. But are we actively applying the blood to our lives and circumstances as a hedge of protection around us? No, not as a magic formula, but prayerfully in the spirit, as a cleansing and protective reality over our lives, families, loved ones, homes, cities and nations.

Assume your authority as a child of God this passover season, and apply the blood over any area of your life that needs His supernatural protection and provision. Don't take a passive approach in these last days, but be actively walking in the power of the blood, this Passover, and in the coming days....for truly, if there was ever a time we needed to be walking in His power, protection and victory, it's Today!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: August 08, 2009, 12:31:30 AM »

Call me!

Jeremiah 17:5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.

A young woman at a textile mill in rural Texas, was new on the job. A flaming red warning sign on her sewing machine read “If Your Thread Becomes Tangled, Call the Foreman Immediately."

After working diligently for an hour or two, suddenly the young worker’s thread became tangled. Fearing the foreman’s reaction at such an early mistake, she thought, “I’ll just quickly straighten this out myself.” Though she tried desperately to untangle the thread, the situation only worsened. Finally she had no choice but to call the foreman. As soon as he arrived, the foreman could tell that the young worker had tried do do some of her own maneuvering before calling him. “I did the best I could,” she said. “No you didn’t,” the foreman replied. “To do the best, you should have called me. Now this sewing machine will need to be repaired. If this happens again, you will be fired.”

Hmm. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have tried to do something on my own strength. I exhaust myself trying before becomes clear that I just can’t do it with out my Great Foreman. Thankfully, He hasn’t fired me yet!

It may sound radical to say but when we rely on our own strength, really, it is a form of idol worship. We exalt our own strength above the Lord’s. This is unacceptable to a Holy and All-Powerful God. Even our greatest efforts cannot compare with how much more effectively a job can get done if we would only call upon His Name!

We are weaklings in need of a great God. We cannot do anything without Him. Let’s begin putting our trust fully in the Lord today and see great things get accomplished! There’s SO much work to be done!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #861 on: August 08, 2009, 12:32:23 AM »

Hold on tight and don't let go!

Psalms 37:24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

Our little Elianna is not a baby anymore, someone reminded us recently as we were saying something in passing about "our baby". Boy do they grow fast.

It seems like yesterday that she was just beginning to walk. She would pull herself up by our two forefingers and take off while we run behind her! Later, she got a little more daring. Every once in a while, she’d look at us as if to warn us, and then let go! It’s a good thing that we were right behind her, ready to catch her when she falls!

Isn’t it like that in our journey with the Lord, though? Our nature as humans is to want to be independent. We want to walk on our own without any help, but when we try — we quickly fall! Not only is our Abba always behind us to help and encourage us along the way, but we can walk farther and faster when were holding onto Him!

God desires that we hold firmly to Him and cling tighter with each and every step we take! If you’ve fallen today, no worries — just grab hold of His hand again — He’s right there behind you!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #862 on: August 08, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »

Get back to basics!

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Race car driving champion Bill Vukovich won the infamous Indianapolis 500 race two times, a record of success few others have achieved. When asked about the secret of his success in the race, Vukovich simply replied, “There’s no secret. You just press the accelerator to the floor and steer left.”

Sometimes we have a tendency to complicate things when it comes to serving the Lord. But like race car driving, there’s really no secret, just move forward and finish the race! The only thing I would change about Bill’s advice is steer RIGHT!!

Are you struggling with confusion, discouragement or anxiety about things of the Lord? God is not a God of confusion, discouragement or anxiety! Let’s get back to the basics today. God created us, loves us unconditionally and wants to free us from all our entanglements that we may be holy as He is holy, that we may be able to love Him with all our heart, soul, strength and mind and love our neighbor as ourselves! We’re in this together, for the win!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: August 08, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »

Got fruit?

You know we love D.L. Moody around here. Well, I'll tell you why. Simply because God used this man with only an 8th grade education to change the world for the better. Thousands have come to the lord through his ministry and the fruit has remained much after his passing.

Some of you have heard of R.A. Torrey, an equally anointed man who worked closely with Moody and knew him well. He gave a sermon illustrating the seven reasons for Moody's great anointing and success for the Lord and I wanted to share these with you.

1. Moody was a fully surrendered man, he held nothing back from the Lord (...they loved not their lives unto the death. -- Revelation 12:11).
2. He was a man of much prayer (Pray without ceasing. -- 1 Thes. 5:17).
3. He was a deep and practical student of the Bible (Study to shew thyself approved unto God... -- 2 Timothy 2:15).
4. He was a humble man (Be not wise in your own conceits... -- Romans 12:16).
5. He was not a lover of money (For the love of money is the root of all evil... -- 1 Timothy 6:10).
6. He had a consuming passion for the salvation of the lost (Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
-- Mark 16:15).
7. And he was endued with Power from on High (... until ye be endued with power from on high. -- Luke 24:49).

If we want to bear much lasting fruit for the Lord, I think this is a surefire way to go about it. I know my heart is convicted, how about yours?

Let's strive to look at these areas of our lives and ask the Lord to empower us to make good changes!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #864 on: August 08, 2009, 12:35:22 AM »

Keep your nose to the grindstone!

2 Timothy 2:20-22 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work. Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

A wise man once compared life to a grindstone. A grindstone is a revolving disk made of stone which is used for grinding, polishing or sharpening. It can commonly be seen grinding down wheat or sharpening and polishing metal for various purposes. You see, he said -- whether life grinds us down or polishes us up depends on what we're made of!

So…here’s a question. What are we made of? Is life grinding us down to pieces? Or is it polishing us up to make us better equipped to do the work of the Lord? I can tell you this -- we are not called to crumble apart like chaff under the grindstone! We are called be tools in our Master’s hand -- sharpened and polished beautifully for His use!

Let’s be sure we're not whining about our trials and difficulties, but rather recognize that God is allowing them to sharpen us for His glory!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: August 08, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »

Never forget!

Ruth 1:16-17 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

As we are entering Holocaust Remembrance Day in Israel, I want to share a touching story about a an exceptional woman who assisted 2,500 young Jewish children out of the ghettos during World War II.

Her name was Irene Sendler. She was an employee of the Polish Social Warfare Department who had a special permit to enter the ghettos to check for signs of typhus. During these visits, she would wear a Star of David as a sign of solidarity with the Jewish people. Once inside, she would convince Jewish parents to part with their children as she and others created for them false papers and smuggled them out so to put them in various good homes around Poland. Sendler then buried the childrens true identities in jars in her back yard, hoping to reunite them with their families after the war.

In 1943, Irene was arrested by the Gestapo, severely tortured and sentenced to death. She was able to save herself by bribing German guards on the way to her execution. Listed on bulletin boards among those who had been executed, she was left in the woods unconscious, with broken arms and legs. For the remainder of the war, she lived in hiding. Though she had suffered much, she continued her work with Jewish children.

In 2007, she was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, and lost to former vice president Al Gore.

May we take up the call of Ruth – "your people shall be my people, and your God shall be my God!" To Israel and the Jewish People, know that you have thousands of friends standing in solidarity with you!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: August 08, 2009, 12:38:08 AM »

Please pray!

Romans 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Yesterday marked Holocaust Memorial day in Israel. Each Holocaust Memorial Day in Israel, war sirens blare throughout the whole Land to call us to remembrance. Cars come to a halt, even on the highways. Pedestrians stop where they are and pause for a couple of moments as the sirens ring to remember over 6,000,000 Jews who died and many more who suffered under the Nazi regime during WW2.

You may know that these atrocities and many more over the years were done in the name of Christianity. Hitler himself said he was a Christian as he murdered millions. Years of torture, abuse and murder have taken a toll on the Jewish people. The few survivors of the Holocaust still living have been battered both physically and emotionally. Even their children and their grandchildren are are bruised and lack understanding of God's great love for them, especially as it pertains to the idea of Christianity.

We need to be praying for the Jewish people. We need to be pouring out much love upon them. That they would see the truth that our God is a loving God. So loving that he would send His one and only Son to die for our sins and theirs. There's so much work to be done!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: August 08, 2009, 12:39:10 AM »

The Lord cares for you!

1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

One of my favorite and most admired men of faith is a man named George Mueller. George Mueller (1805-1898) did many great works for the Lord in his lifetime, among them building several orphanages.

The following is a great story he told:

It was time for breakfast at of one of my orphanages in England and there was no food. Not only was there no food in the kitchen, but there was no money in the home's account. A young girl whose father was a close friend of mine was visiting the home. I took her hand and said, "Come and see what our Father will do." In the dining room, long tables were set with empty plates and empty mugs. We sat down at the table with the others and and I prayed, "Dear Father, we thank Thee for what Thou art going to give us to eat."

At once, we heard a knock at the door. There stood the local baker. "Mr. Muller," he said, "I couldn't sleep last night. Somehow, I felt you had no bread for breakfast, so I got up at 2 o'clock this morning and baked you some fresh bread. Here it is." Muller thanked him and gave praise to God. Soon afterward, a second knock came. It was the milkman. His cart had broken down in front of the orphanage. There was no way to move and repair the cart except to empty it of the milk he needed to still deliver so he asked me if we could use his milk. We had a wonderful breakfast that morning.

Faith was the pinnacle of George Muller's life. Without a personal salary, he relied only on God to supply the money and food he needed to support the hundreds of homeless children he befriended in the name of Messiah. A man of radiant faith, he kept a motto on his desk for many years that brought comfort, strength, and uplifting confidence to his heart. It read, 'It matters to Him about you.' Mueller believed that those words captured the meaning of 1 Peter 5:7, and he rested his claim for divine help on that truth. He testified at the end of his life that the Lord had never failed to supply all his needs.

Remember that God is concerned with our every need! Cast your cares upon Him today.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: August 08, 2009, 12:40:07 AM »

Quack, Quack!

Psalms 118:17 I will not die, but live, and I will proclaim what the Lord has done.

A farmer and his friend went duck hunting. Eventually, they got to talking about the things of God, as they always would. "You're always talking about these battles you have with the devil," the farmer's friend said to him. "It's so silly – I mean, I'm not even a Christian and I've never experienced anything like that."

"Yes my friend," the wise farmer answered, "but if you shot two ducks -- one was wounded and one was dead -- which would you go after first?"

"Well," he said, "I guess I'd go after the wounded duck – I can always get the dead one later."

"Mmm-hmm," said the farmer, "The devil knows you're a dead duck."

For those of us who are walking with the Lord today, be encouraged! Our enemy knows that we have potential to do great things for God, and out of fear, he'll try anything to take us out. This is so very evident by the constant battle we all face.

Let's stand strong against the devil today! And rise up to the Lord's calling upon our lives! We will fight and we will WIN! Because if God is for us, who can be against us?! And you know it -- there's still SO much work to be done!!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #869 on: August 08, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »

Determine to make the commitment!

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

When missionary Dr. David Livingstone was working in Africa, a group of friends wrote him: "We would like to send other men to you. Have you found a good road into your area yet?" Dr. Livingstone sent this message in reply: "If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

There’s a big difference between just being interested in doing something and actually making a commitment to doing it! Just being interested allows us the freedom do a thing only when our circumstances permit. But making a commitment to do that thing means accepting no excuses and no reservations -- it means putting aside our fears and reservations moving forward till we see the end result! Dr. Livingstone was looking for results, and this required men of commitment!

Let’s make some commitments! Our Lord, our families, our jobs and our congregations are awaiting us!

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the