Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:26:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Mythology of Quick, Clean War
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mythology of Quick, Clean War  (Read 3100 times)
Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »

The War Powers resolution was necessitated by the failure of Congress to fulfill its Constitutional role of declaring or not declaring war and the presumption of the Presidency in committing US troops abroad without a declaration of war.

Somewhat similar to the Pharisees' law saying someone who donated to the Temple didn't have to use the money to support their parents in their old age (Matthew 15: 3 -6) Jesus answered "Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition".

Things like the War Powers Resolution make the Constitution of no effect, nullifying what the Founding Fathers obviously intended.

The Irony is that Nixon was always preaching "original intent"!!!

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 10:39:10 PM »

The War Powers Act is not at odds with the Constitution.

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 10:57:40 PM »

Psalm 94:9 He Who planted the ear, shall He not hear? He Who formed the eye, shall He not see?

Psalm 115:5-6 They have mouths, but they speak not; eyes have they, but they see not;  6 They have ears, but they hear not; noses have they, but they smell not;

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 11:02:53 PM »

Psalm 94:9 He Who planted the ear, shall He not hear? He Who formed the eye, shall He not see?

Psalm 115:5-6 They have mouths, but they speak not; eyes have they, but they see not;  6 They have ears, but they hear not; noses have they, but they smell not;

Amen brother.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 07:54:43 AM »

The War Powers Act is not at odds with the Constitution.

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

I respectfully disagree. If you use the arcane legal technicalities that the Bush administration (and the Pharisees) used, you can draw this conclusion, but it certainly end runs the original intent of the Founding Fathers in giving Congress the sole right to declare war.

And in any case, the administration did not even comply with the War Powers Act.

" Without question, the War Powers Act  bound  the President at the time of the Iraq war. It  required a “clearly” defined “imminent” threat to America before the President could approve the use of United States armed forces in Iraq.  The only authority Congress granted Bush was the  authority to act pursuant to the WPA. There was no declaration of war nor specific Congressional grant of authority to go to war."

" Since the war in Iraq started, there have been repeated admissions by members and of the Bush administration and by Bush supporters that there was no "imminent" threat to the U.S. by Iraq and  that Bush never said there was one. This is tantamount to an admission that the WPA was violated and and that the war in Iraq is illegal."

" The decision to go to war is a matter of "evidence," not hunch or opinion.             Under U.S. law,  war requires clear evidence of imminent threat. No more, no less.         Historical precedent or that fact that a prior President may have used military force is not enough to justify a war  which violates the law.  Moreover, matters of opinion as to whether America will be made safer by a war are not good enough. Neither is a belief that a war is necessary to protect national security. Nor is freeing people and providing democracy."

"The War powers Act does not permit the President to enforce  United Nations resolutions, to remove repressive regimes, or the even the prevent another nation from acquiring WMD.  Indeed,  UN Security Council Resolution 1441 did not authorize war on Iraq. It authorized "inspections." There was a clear agreement at the time 1441 was passed that there would be a second resolution before military force was used. There was not one."

http://www.themoderntribune.com/iraq_war_violating_the_war_powers_act.htm

Although this is obviously a far left publication, in this case the far left seems to be holding a position that conservatives should be holding, but have abandoned in their knee-jerk support for the Bush administration.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
infotechadviser

He whom the Son sets free, is free indeed!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 07:04:52 PM »

....in this case the far left seems to be holding a position that conservatives should be holding, but have abandoned in their knee-jerk support for the Bush administration.

...I would paraphrase that to say it's a position Christians should be holding. It gives me some trepidation that the majority of those who profess Christ are supporting both the president and this incursion in the Middle East, in this totally ungodly and pagan land that has told God to get lost. It was once maybe the most Godly on the Earth, but has clearly lost its way.

Jer 9:9 Shall I not visit them for these [things]? saith the LORD: shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?

..This is the worst time in the history of the U.S. that they could go to war, when they are so vulnerable to God's judgments....

..And then doing so because of all the noise about Muslims... And buying into Bush's lips-outward politically expedient professions of faith, while he worships in the Shinto Temple in Tokyo when he visits Japan. Protested by Japan's Christians by the way, and something the Japanese president is forbidden to do by Japan's Constitution. Because the Shinto belief is still in the divine Emperorship.

...deceiving and being deceived... another sign....

--Alan
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 10:48:10 AM »

Amen, sister. This problem is compounded because many of the antiwar croud of the Viet Nam era are now the ones that are in government offices and in positions of teaching the younger generations from elementary schools through the universities. They are pushing their antiwar ideologies onto our nation. As they do so those that would have us killed will have their way.

This people still have not learned that:

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism - while the wolf remains of a different opinion (-W. R. Inge)."

The sheep should fortify, observe/enforce existing laws of the home pasture and keep the wolf out, not go into another pasture dictating which grass is to be eaten under the guise of going after the wolf that was not even in the other pasture, but still in the home pasture.

ollie

Support your local Christian.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 11:01:51 AM »

The sheep should fortify, observe/enforce existing laws of the home pasture and keep the wolf out, not go into another pasture dictating which grass is to be eaten under the guise of going after the wolf that was not even in the other pasture, but still in the home pasture.

ollie

Sometimes it is necessary to go into the wolfs lair in order to trap him and prevent him from sneaking into your pasture unawares.

Wink

Yoyostick

L.E.A.H. and the Trashmobile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 03:45:46 PM »

Hey, sincereheart! Long time no see. Tongue Great post! You're right on. Cool

Jesus is Life!
"For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting LIFE." -John 3:16
digme
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 09:16:39 AM »

i come back after two years to this forum... the same people i feel (personal opinion) are stubbornly holding to their views... if you think Mr. Bush is a christian, that is fine...if you think that the war was on the right grounds, that's fine by me too.... I pray you though, tell me this, since when does pride do anything good for a person or a nation? my issue with the administration has never been about policy but the pride and aloofness it carries itself on... this ashamedly i perceive starts out from the President. I hope God will lovingly humble him to see that and lead with humility. Whatever happened to compassionate conservatives hmm?  i have delienated this in my posts from about 2years ago... i suggest we pray....bend our knees for forgiveness than attack everything that is left or liberal or praise those that are republican or conservative... please if you are serious about prayer, there are sermons at sermonindex.net that would be great in listening to prepare our hearts...i have some great ones to suggest if anybody is interested... for me, i seriously will contemplate about hibernating from this forum for another few years...
sam
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 09:32:26 AM »

Do I think Pres Bush is a Christian? Yes. Do I think that he is a perfect Christian? Far from it but then how many people are perfect.

It is not a matter of attacking everything liberal or praising everything conservative. It has always been about which one is closest to what God would have us do. As for the war, originally both parties agreed that it was necessary based on the information that was available to not only our own country but to other nations as well. John Kerry was one of the individuals that provided this information to Pres Bush.

I agree that we need to be on bent knee praying for peoples souls, for our President and our nation as well as the rest of the world. As Christians that is not the only action that we should be taking. We should also be doing what we can to return this world to a Godly path. We cannot do this by staying in a closed room on our knees. There is witnessing, there is voting for Godly laws and much more.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »

AMEN PR

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the