Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:08:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Question 1 (Moderators Excluded)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Question 1 (Moderators Excluded)  (Read 902 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2005, 07:00:26 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

This is a Bible question that I hope many will become involved in. Moderators are excluded from participating unless things get really rough in the discussion, but I would hope there would be nothing but a friendly discussion and good exchange of Scriptures.

QUESTION 1:

Was the Apostle Paul ever considered to be one of the twelve Apostles to Israel?

Please state your reasons for your "YES" or "NO" answer and provide supporting Scriptures. We really hope that you enjoy participating in answering this question and have some good fellowship in discussion of the Scriptures.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 07:46:20 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

This is a Bible question that I hope many will become involved in. Moderators are excluded from participating unless things get really rough in the discussion, but I would hope there would be nothing but a friendly discussion and good exchange of Scriptures.

QUESTION 1:

Was the Apostle Paul ever considered to be one of the twelve Apostles to Israel?

Please state your reasons for your "YES" or "NO" answer and provide supporting Scriptures. We really hope that you enjoy participating in answering this question and have some good fellowship in discussion of the Scriptures.
No, Paul was not considered one of the twelve originally chosen By Jesus Christ......:

Matthew 10:2.  Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
 3.  Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus;
 4.  Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him."

...... or one of the twelve which included Matthias chosen, by casting lots by the other eleven to replace Judas,

"Acts 1:15.  And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
 16.  Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.
 17.  For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
 18.  Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
 19.  And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
 20.  For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.
 21.  Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
 22.  Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
 23.  And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
 24.  And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
 25.  That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
 26.  And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles."

This verse makes a distinct seperation:

Acts 14:14.  "Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,"

Paul writes to the Romans that he was called to be an apostle:

Romans 1:1.  "Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,......
.......5. By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:"

Also 1 Corinthians 1:1 for Paul's being called.

Paul refers to himself as the apostle of the gentiles:

Romans 11:13.  "For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:"

Paul includes himself with the other apostles, the twelve:

1 Corinthians 4:9.  "For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.'

Paul defends his apostleship:

1 Corinthians 9:1.  "Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?
 2.  If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord."

Paul's humility about being an apostle:

1 Corinthians 15: 9.  "For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
 10.  But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."

Paul is an apostle by the will of God:

2 Corinthians 1:1.  "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:"

Christ is also an apostle:

Hebrews 3:1.  "Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;"

These verses conclude to me that Paul was an apostle of Jesus Christ, but not of the original twelve chosen of Christ, or of the twelve made up with Matthias replacing Judas.

ollie

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 07:48:06 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the