Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 02:48:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Characters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Characters  (Read 782 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:00:25 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

We discussed the telling of some Bible stories about characters in the Bible. Some of you expressed some interest, and I invite you to join in. The characters in the Holy Bible are just as real as you and I are. There is a reason for their stories in the Holy Bible, and those reasons are just as strong now as they were thousands of years ago. There is a message for us with each character, and I invite you to share a Bible story with us.

I was thinking about this and Zacchaeus came to mind, so I felt led to share the story about Zacchaeus. There is much more to this story than what first appears.

Zacchaeus: The Little Man

Zacchaeus was the chief tax collector for Jericho, and the people hated him. He cheated the people by overcharging them on their taxes and became rich.

Many of you will remember the Sunday School song about Zacchaeus:

"Zacchaeus was a little man,
A very little man was he,"......

Jesus was coming to Jericho, and Zacchaeus wanted to see him, but Zacchaeus was so short that he couldn't see Jesus. So, Zacchaeus ran ahead and climbed a sycomore tree on the way that Jesus would pass. It's interesting to note that Zacchaeus was so small that he could have hidden instead, but he wanted to see Jesus. However, we should all know that we can't hide ourselves or our sins from Jesus.

Jesus looked up in the tree, saw Zacchaeus, asked him to come down, and said "for to day I must abide at thy house." Zacchaeus not only saw Jesus, but he met Jesus, and the life of Zacchaeus was changed forever.

The people were upset that Jesus was going to be the guest of a sinner, evidently forgetting that they were all sinners.

"And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold."

Zacchaeus was convicted of his sin and was saved that day. Zacchaeus sincerely wanted to see Jesus, and God provided a way. The same will be true for any man who wishes to confess, repent, and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

Luke 19:1  And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.
Luke 19:2  And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.
Luke 19:3  And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.
Luke 19:4  And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
Luke 19:5  And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.
Luke 19:6  And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully.
Luke 19:7  And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner.
Luke 19:8  And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
Luke 19:9  And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
Luke 19:10  For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

There are many interesting contrasts, comparisons, and references that make the story of Zacchaeus much larger that what it appears to be.  Luke 18:24-27 seems to proclaim that it is almost impossible for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Yet, Zacchaeus was very rich, and he did enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The following portion of Scripture explains this apparent contradiction:

Luke 18:27  And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

The story of Zacchaeus is yet another example of how Christ extends His Grace to those who are the least deserving of it. One must also consider that Jericho was built under a curse, but our Lord and Saviour chose to pass through it. Our Lord knew Zacchaeus and called him by name to come down out of the tree. In reality, our Lord calls all of us to come down, humble ourselves, confess, repent, and accept Him as Lord. Our Lord will forgive the greatest of sinners and change them forever.

Romans 8:31-34  What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Romans 5:17-18  For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)  Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Revelation 3:20  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Yes, Jesus is knocking on the door to your heart. Open the door and let him in.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 4:7  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the