Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 10:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Study software
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Study software  (Read 2229 times)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2004, 01:38:53 PM »

Maybe all of your are aware of this site but I thought I would point it out to those who may not have heard of it (like myself until just recently)

http://www.e-sword.net/

On it you can get free downloads of Bible translations and commentaries among other things.  Check it out.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 01:43:46 PM »

Thanks for the tip ML - I've added it to my favorites and will study it more closely as time permits.

I LOVE to learn of things Christian.

Peace and grace be yours.
JPD

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Reba
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 12:05:07 AM »

Esword is a great site. If ya go there look around it is loaded with lots of good stuff. Free down loads. Esword concordance  coupled with Strongs is good. The  basic search  is real handy the way it works. It will allow you to look up ..... say   'life'  'death' 'love'  those 3 words are in 2 scriptures KJV.    
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 02:10:24 AM »

Greeting fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord!

there is another site that I have found helpful--

www.freebible.com

It provides a very simple, but good concordance, search
engine, and KJV

I have found it to be very useful when I cut and paste the
various scriptures I post on forums, and on paltalk.

respectfully yours in Yeshua:
 :Dravenloche Cheesy

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 07:42:20 AM »

I like it too Reba.  Tom gave me the link a while back.  I am getting rather spoiled by its ease of use and features.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Tog_Neve

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 08:10:08 AM »

Another similar project is the Sword Project
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp

Similar in features and layout it would appear.  Will have to try the one Michael provided as well.

Grin There is even a translation available for people who have WAAAY to much time on their hands.... It is the Klingon translation  Grin
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 08:13:01 AM »

Another similar project is the Sword Project
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp

Similar in features and layout it would appear.  Will have to try the one Michael provided as well.

Grin There is even a translation available for people who have WAAAY to much time on their hands.... It is the Klingon
translation  Grin

Yeah - but I have yet to meet a Klingon who was saved.   Grin

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 11:52:08 AM »

Yeah - but I have yet to meet a Klingon who was saved.  

You MET a Klingon?Huh?

You'll have to tell us THAT story sometime!

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 12:23:35 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I have used various computer Bible Study software over the years, including some trial versions of some really expensive programs. In my opinion, none of them compare to the FREE e-Sword Bible Study package. I have the whole thing installed, and it is great.

Bible Translations - (33) including Greek, Latin, and a parallel version that you can load (4) different Bible translations on the same page, side by side for comparison. It is interesting to note that all of the Bible Translations are interactive with:

Bible Dictionaries - (14) Including some pretty big names and most popular.

Bible Commentaries - (14) Including some pretty big names and most popular.

And an unknown number of Study Topic Notes, maps, various graphics, and some fascinating documents of all kinds.

I have a dial-up connection, so it was not practical for me to download the whole thing. I opted to send a requested $15 donation for a CD that has the whole thing on it. Some of the commercial packages I tried were between $600 - $1,000, and I didn't like any of them nearly as well as e-Sword. The $15 for the CD also helps the author, Rick Meyers, continue with his ministry. e-Sword is now available in many foreign languages, and Rick Meyers eventually wants to make e-Sword freely available to the entire world.

The search functions are fantastic. It has a real nice editor included for making your own study notes, cut and past Scripture, and just about anything you can imagine. If you don't like the editor, e-Sword will also work directly with Microsoft Word.

One of my favorite functions is the ability to make the fonts any size you want. It makes it real easy for the bifocal crowd, and I belong to that crowd.

Did I tell you that it is fast? You can also point and click to change views between the Bible, Dictionaries, Commentaries, etc. or have multiple views on the screen at once.

In short, e-Sword should be a $1,000 package, but it is free.

Love In Christ,
Tom

michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 08:34:56 AM »

I have been playing with the e-Sword for a few days now and have found that you can import commentary text into the Topic notes field but it looks like you have to do it one verse at time.

Does anyone know a way to import blocks of text associated with blocks of verses at a time?  And once they are in can you exort your Topic notes in blocks as well so you can move them from one install to another?

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 10:53:59 AM »

I will only use this ISV as a reference source, it is not scholarly in my opinion.

The mere fact that James 2:14, has been changed to read;

"This kind of faith can’t save him, can it?"

Is enough to show me, it has added, words which are not supported by the original text.

This is nothing other than an further attempt to water down the word of God, to disprove the teachings, which the ecuemenical movement needs, in order to bring the religious into the a one world catholic fold, in line with Romes doctrines.

Nice try....michael
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 10:57:02 AM by Petro » Logged

michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 11:30:40 AM »

I will only use this ISV as a reference source, it is not scholarly in my opinion.

The mere fact that James 2:14, has been changed to read;

"This kind of faith can’t save him, can it?"

Is enough to show me, it has added, words which are not supported by the original text.

This is nothing other than an further attempt to water down the word of God, to disprove the teachings, which the ecuemenical movement needs, in order to bring the religious into the a one world catholic fold, in line with Romes doctrines.

Nice try....michael

What are you talking about?

Is this post in the wrong thread?

What post of mine are your refering to?

What translation are you refering to that translates James 2:14 that way?  

I don't see that translation used anywhere in the e-sword software, but then I didn't download all of them just the major versions.  The Douay Rheims, Greek NT, Greek NT - TR, the Hebrew OT, the LXX, the Vulgate, The KJV and the KJV w/Apocrypha.

If the ISV uses that translation I would recommend avoiding it.  But whatever the case is you shouldn't assume that just because I recommend a neat tool; that I approve of all the add-ins.  

I mean you know I think there are errors in the KJV and it is offered as the default for this program and yet I recommend the software, so you should be able to deduce that this isn't a blanket approval of the site and all its contents.

So I don't know what you think I was trying!

Maybe you need a little less paranoia with your coffee in the morning. Grin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:40:55 AM by michael_legna » Logged

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 06:48:05 PM »

michael,

Everything in e-sword.net study bible program is geared for use with the ISV only.

The International Standard Version (ISV), this version agrees with your doctrines, that is why you, ........... like it.

That alone is enough to make me cautious..

There is alot of differnce between para-no-ai' and cau-ti'-ous,

In case you do not believe they translate it that way, allow me to give you the url;

http://www.isv.org/musings/musing06.htm

Can Faith Save?

edited by Dr. David Alan Black

James 2:14 has sometimes been misunderstood as conflicting with Paul's doctrine of justification by faith. No less a scholar than Martin Luther insisted on a contradiction between the teachings of James and Paul. This misunderstanding is perpetuated in the KJV rendering, "Can faith save him?"
However, James more literally says "Can the [aforementioned] faith save him," referring only to the works-less faith he has just described. This is nicely brought out in the NIV ("Can such faith save him") as well as in the NASB ("Can that faith save him?"). Neither translation, however, goes far enough.
The question "Can the [aforementioned] faith save him" is so structured in the Greek text that it expects a negative answer. James is really asking, as it is rendered in the ISV:

"This kind of faith can't save him, can it?"

The answer is, Absolutely not! What James writes is really a statement couched in the form of a question: faith without works cannot save anyone. Faith must prove itself in the deeds it produces.

Therefore, faith that does not issue in actions is superficial and spurious—a point with which the apostle Paul certainly agreed (cf. Galatians 5:6—"What matters is faith that is active through love").

Check it out,

I am surprised you hadn't mentioned this...on the other hand maybe you had noticed but, simply didn't want to alert anyone to this erroneous translation work.  Huh??

Petro
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 07:21:24 PM by Petro » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 07:13:30 PM »

I have been playing with the e-Sword for a few days now and have found that you can import commentary text into the Topic notes field but it looks like you have to do it one verse at time.

Does anyone know a way to import blocks of text associated with blocks of verses at a time?  And once they are in can you exort your Topic notes in blocks as well so you can move them from one install to another?

Oklahoma Howdy to Michael_Legna,

You right click the first Bible Verse and go down, click copy Verses, and a copy block menu comes up. You tell it the last Verse you want and give the command where you want it to go. In this case it would be study notes. You should already have a new and named study notes open and ready to accept the copies/cut and paste. It works great.

You can do the same thing by highlighting dictionary or commentary portions, right clicking, and giving the command to past into your open study notes. Once you use it for a while, there are all kinds of quick and easy ways to use the study notes editor.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 07:26:33 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Petro,

You said.

michael,

Everything in e-sword.net study bible program is geared for use with the ISV only.

Quote:

The International Standard Version (ISV), this version agrees with your doctrines, that is why you, ........... like it.

I've never used the ISV translation, and I would have to disagree with your thoughts about e-Sword. In fact, most of it appears to be geared to the KJV. It has a KJV with Strong's Numbers, and I don't remember any other translation that is capable of using Strong's Numbers. In fact, most of the dictionaries and commentaries have many more entries for the KJV. By the way, the KJV with Strong's Numbers is the same old tried and trusted KJV with just the addition of small Strong's Numbers that you can highlight with a pop-up Strong's Reference.

I've used this package for quite a few years, and I can tell you that it was designed around the KJV. Permission to include other translations was later. I can give you a list of the Bible Translations, dictionaries, and commentaries if you wish.

In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the