Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:07:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What does your Bible look like?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: What does your Bible look like?
Looks nice - 2 (25%)
A few pages folded over - 2 (25%)
Loose pages - 0 (0%)
Falling apart - 3 (37.5%)
I need to get a new one - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What does your Bible look like?  (Read 4754 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »

So lets have the low down.......... What does your Bible look like?

And how long have you had it?

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:24:52 PM »

If you were to see my amplified Bible you would feel sorry for me ...(second thought, maybe not maybe you would be real happy  Smiley ) First of all it's missing the first 2 pages of the first chapter of Genesis, I had to make a makeshift cover for it, and it is in general falling apart, but I still read it anyway, it's right by my bed.

Now all my KJV Bibles have so many notes, underlines, circled words, and highlights that sometimes even I have a hard time trying to figure out what I was trying to point out or remember or study more on. They are all missing maps. One of them belonged to my dad he got it in 1970 than my mom kept it and when my mom went home to be with the Lord, my stepfather gave it to me.

My sturdy leather bound 28 year old Bible is holding up pretty good in spite of the fact that it's one I use everyday and even use it to help others learn.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 10:28:43 PM »

Well I'll tell y'all right now, I need to replace mine again. I go through 3-4 Bibles a year. I also use the amplified Bible, and the KJV Bible.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:37:30 PM »

I have my Amplified Bible, one of my KJV Bibles and a Spanish Bible all on my night table. I read from all 3 of those everyday.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 10:40:18 PM »

First I need to ask which one do want to know about?   Wink

1. Nice, clean, crisp and well organized because my current Bible is e-Sword. I'm thinking about getting one of those pocket pc's to put e-Sword on.

2. The one before that and also the one I still use when I am away from my computer is well worn. I have it inside a black, light weight canvas zippered cover. The cover needs replaced. It is well worn (the black is almost a gray ) and was chewed on by my dog. I've had this one about 4 maybe 5 yrs.

3. I still have my very first Bible that I myself bought. It is 42 yrs old with a leatherette cover. The cover was white but now it is yellowed from age and taped with together with white plastic tape (the type electricians use ). The pages were edged with gold. Not only is the gold worn off, the edges of many of the pages are missing about 1/4 inch along the edge I used for turning the page. This one went with me through most of my Military service.

4. My grandparents family Bible is in better condition but that's because I took it into a shop that repairs books and had it restored. This one is almost 100 yrs old and stays on the shelf except for very special occasions. It has center pages that contain the family history.

5. I also have a box full of Bibles I picked up at the dollar store for $1.00 each that I give to those that need one.

6. I have a number of others that sit on my book shelf that I don't use much that were given to me over the years that are in various different conditions from new to need replaced. Some of these are in different languages besides English.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:42:23 PM »

Hello Dreamweaver,

Brother, I really can't answer the question without additional choices.

I have an old Bible that is definitely my favorite, but my eyes are too bad to be able to read it. It's worn out completely, but I would still be using it if I could. I've had friends and family members give me Bibles as gifts, and I really don't know how many Bibles I have within 20 feet of me right now. My kids recently gave me a brand new one with large print that I can read, and I have enjoyed it.

Most of the people who really know me know that the Bibles I use hours every day are on my computer. I love the e-Sword Bible Study package and have complete control over the size and types of fonts. e-Sword also has a handy text editor built-in that's great for notes. I can have all of my favorite tools for Bible study quickly available on one computer screen, so I've been spoiled. I've gotten used to pop-up tool helps for ancient languages and quick changes over to multiple dictionaries, commentaries, maps of the area involved, sermons on the same subject, and immediate access to my own notes.

SO, my main Bibles that I use hours every day are in a computer.

Love In Christ,
Tom

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 10:55:37 PM »

I didn't know E-Bibles were to be included, I have about 6 different electronic Bibles installed on my computer right now and sometimes I overload my computer because I have 3 or 4 open at the same time. I even have them all backed up on CD's just incase my computer wants to retire.  Grin Grin Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »

I do have several other e-Bibles on CD but I don't use them now that I have the e-Sword Bibles.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 11:02:23 PM »

I use ilumina gold Bible program. It has many great things. Pictures, video clips, hymns, Bible studies, articles and much more, but it costs alot. Go with e-sword  Wink

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:09:58 PM »

I have Ilumina too David, I really like the videos and the pictures.

ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:22:11 AM »

Oh what a fun thread...

I still have the first Bible I got when I was 9 years old. My Mom gave it to me Nov of 1968. This KJV was the only Bible I had for a long time till about 1990 then I got 2 NKJV's, one a personal sized one to keep in my purse and the other a big ol fat study one that I just love alot. As far as the poll questions, "none of the above" ... but I do have a lot of writing and underlining in them.
     I also have 3 old KJV that I picked up at a flea market. All 3 have some pages missing. They are from the early 1900's.
    And, just this week, I got a new Bible. It is from the Ancient Eastern Text. (authoritative English translation of the Aramaic (Syriac) Old and New Testaments). Thought this might be some interesting studying/reading.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 05:29:51 PM »

I had to say that it looked nice only because I just bought a new one.  Smiley

I bought a new one because my old one was falling apart.

I got a really nice one for studying...it is parallel that has NIV, KJV, ASV, NASB.  I primarily use KJV and NASB but I like to compare alot when I study.

I still need to go get one that I can use for the pew....the parallel is kinda big and hard cover.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »

I have several Bibles .... the oldest is one I won for perfect Sunday attendance back in - dare I say Huh1971!  It's a large, beautiful 'family' Bible with a gold leaf cover ~ well worn.

My every-day Bible is a NKJV (large print Roll Eyes ) and while it's only about five years old, it's spine is cracked and the cover dog-eared from contantly being opened!  Some pages are torn and almost all have highlighted scripture that I don't want to forget.  This gift from my pastor is sentimentally priceless so I won't be giving it up any time soon.

There is a brand-new-still-in-the-cellophane NKJV that I'm saving to donate as a fund raiser.  Every summer my church has a "kids camp" and every year there's a child that can't afford to go - so the women's ministry has bake sales and yard sales to raise money for them.

I have several "Gideon" Bibles to give away.  (No, I'm not a Gideon but I admire their works for the Lord)

and finally

A KJV gifted to me by my Uncle who has since passed away - what a wonderful influence this man was in my life .....

(sniff)

WOW! since taking an inventory I have more Bibles than I knew!

GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY GLORY
=^..^=

Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 10:06:17 PM »

The oldest Bible i have is from 1894 it's in better condition than the one that i've
been reading for the past 36 yrs. KJV that my grandma gave me after my grandpa died
i was 10 yrs.old...
The front cover is taped back on, theirs not a page in it that has'nt been cried on,
written on, bent pages for reminders Grin
It's worn out as much as i am, But i would'nt have it any other way Cheesy
I think it say's alot about a person. (the looks of their bible)
Goodness i think i have about 20 bibles of all sorts.

Has anyone ever read the Book of Enoch, Noahs Gr. grandpa?
I've read it twice and it sounds biblically sound to me, And what an enlightenment to alot of things,
Like the angels that left their first estate and came to earth as it says in Genesis,
some of their names, name of the angels of God and alot of the things that they are doing on a daily basis,
all kinds of things that alot of people have wondered about!
I don't know why they did'nt put this in the Bible?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:36:59 PM by Littleboy » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 11:09:16 PM »

I don't know why they did'nt put this in the Bible?

It wasn't placed in the Bible because it was suspect as to it's origins and there are a number of different versions that contradict themselves and each other. There are also 1st, 2nd and 3rd Enoch and in some cases a 4th book of Enoch. In 2 Enoch there is the mention of Ahuzan which is a cryptic name for the Second Temple in Jerusalem. This indicates that the Second Temple was in existance at the time it was written. There are also other indications in the book of practices that existed during the Second Temple period that were not observed prior to or since. There are many other reasons to indicate that the books were written sometime during the Second Temple period and not before that, many of these are that the texts do not match the Biblical account, even though there are some truths in them there is also much that is false.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the