Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286828 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  tattoo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: tattoo  (Read 3916 times)
Melody
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2004, 08:01:40 AM »

As far as your comment that it is full of errors, are you saying the Bible is full of errors? Who were you saying was using the literal translation, the writer on the link, or Chesed?

I am saying the translations are in error.  Not all, but enough that I look at the Bible more as a work of inspiration and hope and not a literal translation "from God's mouth to somebody's hand."    No, I don't speak Hebrew or Greek but have read works from bible scholars who do.  Some of these have dealt with the errors in translation.   Our pastor is also a bible scholar, fluent in both Greek and Hebrew, and I've talked over some of these points with him at the time I became aware of them.

Sorry, but I don't keep all of the exact quotes in my head.  I have enough trouble finding my car keys and shoes in the morning.  However, one that sticks is a quote that we should not suffer a witch to live.  According to several bible scholars, the word "witch" actually translates to "poisoner."

Recently, I read an article from a bible scholar saying that there's a passage in the bible (sorry...again can't remember exactly where) where the translation reads "in pain I bore you" but bible translators changed the wording because they felt it was too similar to how a woman gives birth and the writers of the time felt this would give people the idea that God was a woman.  

I'm just throwing this out and if I find the actual information again, I will happily post it here.  Just explaining why I will not use the bible as a literal translation.  When I read the Bible, I pray and ask God for guidance and then follow where he leads.

If someone reads the Bible and feels tattoos are wrong, then by all means they should not get a tattoo.  That's not the way I feel after talking to some learned bible scholars and praying.

Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2004, 10:44:06 AM »

God does not want us to be part of the world but He wants us to be in the world. That is why God does not want us to get any tattoos because it defiles and defames our Temple. God DWELLS in US. We should not cut ourselves or get any tattoos. God says we should be holy because God is Holy being set apart from the world and the pleasures in the world.

Michael
Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2004, 11:04:24 AM »

I forgot to add. I do not believe there are any errors in the Bible and the errors that are contained are Numerical errors in the Old Testament, which do not sway or mislead or take away from the stories in the Scriptures since they are not Divine Errors but Human tranlsation errors.But you can normally look through the Septguaint or the Tanakh to normally clear up the numerical mistake.
 The scriptures are error free.

in the Tankah Exodus 22:17 it says You shall not tolerate a sorceress.

in the Septguaint in Exodus 22:18 Ye shall not save the lives of sorcerers.

The NIV Exodus 22:18 Do not allow a sorceress to live.

The Torah the Five Books of Moses the New JPS tranlsation according to the traditional Hebrew text.

Exodus 22:17 You shall not tolerate a sorceress.

Complete Jewish Bible translation by David H. Stern.

Exodus 22:17(18) You are not to permit a female socerer to live.

The Reformation Study Bible The New King James R.C. Sproul.

Exodus 22:18 You shall not permit a sorceress to live.

Through these different tranlsation they all agree on the same thing  to not let a female sorcercess to live. and I do not see any errors of any of the different tranlsations that i posted.

Michael

Melody
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2004, 11:41:41 AM »

hrough these different tranlsation they all agree on the same thing  to not let a female sorcercess to live. and I do not see any errors of any of the different tranlsations that i posted.

All of these translations agree, but according to my pastor they are all mistranslating the original word...sounds like either deliberately or they're not doing their own translations.

Melody
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2004, 11:57:35 AM »

Ok....I stand corrected and am going to have a little word with my pastor as well  Sad.

I called one of my friends who is also a linguist and he said that the Hebrew word used in the Bible is Kashaph which translates as witch.  He said that some people are mistakenly using the word "chemah" (poison).  I don't understand how you can mistake one word for the other but then I don't read Hebrew.

I concede this particular point.

Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2004, 12:04:58 PM »

Hi Melody did you read my post in General Theology called Hebrew Word Suffer and Poisoner.

I found the site this morning.
Melody
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2004, 12:08:18 PM »

Hi Melody did you read my post in General Theology called Hebrew Word Suffer and Poisoner.

I found the site this morning.

Hi,
No, I run my own business so I'm usually pretty busy in the mornings so I respond only to those threads I'm already following.  I don't check new threads until the evening and then only if I have time.  However, I'll make sure to look for your post.  
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2004, 01:20:38 PM »

Interesting discussion!  I've been lurking in here for a few days now.   Cheesy

Personally, I think this is somewhat in a grey area, and I doubt a tattoo would keep a person out of heaven.

Perhaps a better question is, whats the honest reason for wanting a tattoo to begin with?   As believers we should always be mindful of how the Lord wants us to live our lives.   So in my mind I would be asking....

1.  Is there anything in scripture that indicates that it might be wrong/OK?
2.  Will it improve my walk with Christ?
3.  Will it harm my witness for Him?
4.  Is it something you would invite Christ to do with me?

If you're not sure, then I would suggest praying about it before hand and ask God for opinion on the matter.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2004, 03:41:40 PM »

Interesting discussion!  I've been lurking in here for a few days now.   Cheesy

Personally, I think this is somewhat in a grey area, and I doubt a tattoo would keep a person out of heaven.

Perhaps a better question is, whats the honest reason for wanting a tattoo to begin with?   As believers we should always be mindful of how the Lord wants us to live our lives.   So in my mind I would be asking....

1.  Is there anything in scripture that indicates that it might be wrong/OK?
2.  Will it improve my walk with Christ?
3.  Will it harm my witness for Him?
4.  Is it something you would invite Christ to do with me?

If you're not sure, then I would suggest praying about it before hand and ask God for opinion on the matter.

Grace and Peace!

Good stuff here!  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the