Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:50:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  TITHE AND OFFERING???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TITHE AND OFFERING???  (Read 8468 times)
Praise1

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 04:03:32 PM »

I believe Chriatians,should keep with what God,say's about tithes and offering.Not what the world say.s.Malachi 3:10-Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,That there may be food in My house,And try me now in this,Says the Lord of hosts.Give your tithes in God's house,He will provide for your house.I used giveto not give my tithes and offerings like I should have,I wasn't being blessed like I should have been.Because I was robbing God.When I started giving my tithes and offerings,right.God,pours out a blessings on me,all kinds of blessings.Whatever billI owe,I leave God's money in the mac until Sunday and I give it to Him.Remember God knows our heart.
God Bless Smiley

I can do all things through Christ who strengths me.
Philippians 4:13-No Prayer No Power,No Power No Prayer.
Jeff Mills

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 04:20:28 PM »

Dear PRAISE1  I hear what you are saying, but you need to scroll up and see that the Lord looks at the heart.  There is NOTHING in the NT that says we should tithe to the church.   As a matter of fact WE are now the Royal Priests and so it is ours!!!   But God sees your heart, and also mine.  I give to the church because I want to give but I am not sinning if I do not.   Give with a merry heart says the Word!  God will bless you

Hesus is Lord
GKB

MY GREATEST SEEK, IS TO KNOW JESUS MORE

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 08:23:03 PM »

dear praise1,

i tithe and offer faithfully off of every dollar i get, however, maybe the house requires more than my tithe...sometimes tithing is only doing the bear minimum...not to mention i'm afraid that some pastors brought into that system to lock down some funds. if god called you to more than your tithe, should i give it? or do i say, this is what is required, so this is what i give....aren't you still holding back from god in that regaurd? its really time for the saints of god to start studying for ourselves, otherwise whoever can sell us whatever, and have us buy it.

i think to often we turn our preachers into our celebraties, because we don't have a relationship with god for ourselves and so we have to wait until sunday morning to hear what god is saying, when the preacher at this point should just be confirming, not dictating. i love the fact that i can get a word from the lord, and i'm not limited to another mans ministry....yes, yes i know the body is many members helping each other, so pastors and preachers are vital, true, but when are we going to take our position in the body to the point where the pastors needs your ministry just as much as you need his?
Blademan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 06:38:14 PM »

There was some interesting input in this thread.

I do have a question, however:

Where does the word of God speak of giving a tithe to a local church like what we have today?

The OT tithe had nothing to do with money. It was food stored away for the Levites, priests, orphans, widows and strangers. So, when people talk about their tithe, what are they basing it upon? Jesus wasn't require to tithe because He had no lands nor herds from which to tithe, so where is all this stuff coming from?

In the NT, we see the collection going to, again, meet the needs of fellow believers, not for real estate and buildings.

So I guess this leads to an additional question:

Where in the Bible was there ever a change made to God's priorities in our giving, shifting away from meeting needs to supporting real estate and buildings?

I would appreciate any input that anyone could provide.

Thanks

Blademan
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 07:45:42 PM »

Hi blademan,

Welcome to Christians Unite.

Where does the word of God speak of giving a tithe to a local church like what we have today?

I have a question for you in return. Where in the Bible does it say that we are not to give tithes to a local church?

There is a movement going on today that is teaching against tithing to the church. While I agree that there is no commandment for us to do so, and seeing their is no commandment it is evident that their is no set amount.

Some people use the verses of the OT to say that we are not to give money. It does not say that we are not to give money although in the OT it was said to give of their increase (profits) which then was primarily food items.

It is also said by some that there is no proof even in the OT nor the NT that tithing was to go to a building. While I agree with this somewhat I would ask these people where they think that the House of Worships came from? After all there is ample evidence that there were many such buildings.

There are verses in the NT that does indicate that we are to give (tithe):

Luk 11:42  But woe to you, Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and pass over judgment and the love of God. You ought to have done these, and not to leave the other undone.

1Co 16:2  On the first of the sabbaths let each of you put by himself, storing up what ever he is prospered, so that there may be no collections when I come.

There are quite a few instances in 2Co chapters 8 and 9 that give examples and exhortations concerning the importance of believers giving financially to God’s work.

As for how much a person should give, we are told:

Col 3:23  And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men;
Col 3:24  knowing that from the Lord you shall receive the reward of the inheritance. For you serve the Lord Christ.

There are many other threads here that also pertain to tithing in the Old and New Testaments, the difference between them and what we should do in regards to tithing now.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:09:35 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
BLAD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 07:49:23 PM »

blademan,
 I believe tithing started with Jacob in Genesis 28
May i qoute Genesis 28:20-22

20: And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
   21: So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
   22: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
  this is a vow made by Jacod (Israel) so God is just requiring what is the vow made by israel.  so whatever your vow to give to the lord you should fulfill it.

In liviticus 27:30-32
30: And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.
   31: And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
   32: And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

Malachi 3:7-10
For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
   7: Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
   8: Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
   9: Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
   10: Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

But when you give it should come from the heart. And if you vowed a vow (you said that you give something to God) fulfill it coz' God will require you to fullfill your vow.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 10:04:07 PM »

Hello Blademan,

I see this is your first post, so WELCOME!

As you can see, there are varying opinions about tithing. I would simply say from a New Testament perspective that giving should be cheerful and from the heart. I would say that there is no instruction to tithe in the New Testament, but I would also say that doesn't mean you shouldn't give 20 or 30 percent if the Lord has enabled you to do so and it makes you happy. I might also add that giving should never be for bragging rights, AND much very important giving is not with money, rather with labor and volunteer work of various types. Some people don't have money to give, but that doesn't mean their offering of labor means any less than someone giving money or goods. One also should not compare the amount of money and try to figure out what's fair between the rich and the very poor. It goes right back to what God has enabled you to give with a cheerful heart. The actual 10% was Old Testament Mosaic Law. For today, I would say that a Christian SHOULD definitely give, but the amount and the type should be between that individual and God. It certainly should NOT be for recognition, status in the community, or pride. I'll paraphrase: give with one hand as if the other hand doesn't know how much it is. I would also say:  if the Lord has enabled you to give 30%, you feel led by the Holy Spirit to give it to the Lord's work, and you will give it with a happy heart - you need to do so. BUT, there is no New Testament Law, Commandment, or instruction to do this. Just two cents worth.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 107:8-9 NASB  Let them give thanks to the LORD for His lovingkindness, And for His wonders to the sons of men!  For He has satisfied the thirsty soul, And the hungry soul He has filled with what is good.

Blademan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 10:40:36 AM »

Hi blademan,

Welcome to Christians Unite.

Thank you. It's great to be here.

I have a question for you in return. Where in the Bible does it say that we are not to give tithes to a local church?

Wow. That's a good question. Hmm. Well, I don't know of a place where it says that.

There is a movement going on today that is teaching against tithing to the church. While I agree that there is no commandment for us to do so, and seeing their is no commandment it is evident that their is no set amount.

Some people use the verses of the OT to say that we are not to give money. It does not say that we are not to give money although in the OT it was said to give of their increase (profits) which then was primarily food items.

Very true. I did some study on this not long ago, and it started churning in the back of my mind, so I thought I would launch out and see what others have found. I did find, like you said, that the tithe was a tenth only of the increase of the fields, orchards, vineyards, flocks and herds, not of the wages from wage earners, such as those who were hired to help harvest by the property owner, etc. According to what I read, not even Jesus was required to tithe since He had none of the things from which the tithe was to be taken, especially considering that He had nowhere to lay His head. (I wish I had my Bible software with me here at the office, but it's not allowed on this computer.So, please forgive my inability to quote all the relevant verses.)

It is also said by some that there is no proof even in the OT nor the NT that tithing was to go to a building. While I agree with this somewhat I would ask these people where they think that the House of Worships came from? After all there is ample evidence that there were many such buildings.

Another good question. Upon reflection, if I may offer this, those places were supported by a secondary portion of the people's giving rather than the primary portion, such as the tithe, considering that the tithe was food items of various sorts rather than money.

There are verses in the NT that does indicate that we are to give (tithe):

Luk 11:42  But woe to you, Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and pass over judgment and the love of God. You ought to have done these, and not to leave the other undone.

Good point. I'm no expert on the timing of all these events, I recall that Jesus also commanded the leper to go and show himself to the priest, and then offer up burnt sacrifices according to the Law, in Matt. 8:4 (I read this just last night in my reading). So, since Jesus told a people who were still under the Law, and who were raising produce, even spices, to tithe from it, and He also told another to offer up burnt sacrifices, are we also required to do both since the burnt offering was a thank offering rather than symbolic of the price paid for our sins? (Please forgive my inability to put my questions into a more understandable form.)

In other words (if I can get this right), how do we differentiate between the command to offer up burnt sacrifices and the acknowledgment of the lawful requirement to tithe from one another when both were spoken to the Jews who were still under the Law? What line of distinction exists between the two, and how do we substantiate this line of distinction beyond question?

1Co 16:2  On the first of the sabbaths let each of you put by himself, storing up what ever he is prospered, so that there may be no collections when I come.

I thought this was a collection for the meeting of needs of the saints in Jerusalem? Is that correct?

There are quite a few instances in 2Co chapters 8 and 9 that give examples and exhortations concerning the importance of believers giving financially to God’s work.

Yes. It does cost money to run our various operations.

As for how much a person should give, we are told:

There are many other threads here that also pertain to tithing in the Old and New Testaments, the difference between them and what we should do in regards to tithing now.

I eagerly await your response to my questions, because they've been, like I said, churning in the back of my mind.

Thanks
Blademan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 10:58:23 AM »

I believe tithing started with Jacob in Genesis 28
May i qoute Genesis 28:20-22

20: And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
   21: So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
   22: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
  this is a vow made by Jacod (Israel) so God is just requiring what is the vow made by israel.  so whatever your vow to give to the lord you should fulfill it.

Wow. It's been a while since I read that. I forgot all about it. Upon reading it again, I can say that I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching this one to my kids as an example, one reason being that Jacob tied a bunch of conditional strings, in verse 20, to his promise to tithe. We can see that Jacob made his tithe conditional upon God meeting his demands. I prefer to not play such games with the Lord. Jacob was very wrong on many things in his life, thus his name, which actually means "deceiver" if I remember my Sunday school lessons correctly.

In liviticus 27:30-32
30: And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.
   31: And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
   32: And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

Yes, the Law was very precise to those who were under its obligation. You know, I love how the Lord showed such tremendous compassion in His Law, and made such wondrous provision for the needy. The tithe, almost 99% of it, went for the meeting of needs, not for the upkeep of the temple or any other structure. It provided for the priests, Levites, orphans, widows and strangers in the land.

Malachi 3:7-10
For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
   7: Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
   8: Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
   9: Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
   10: Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Yes. Those who were under the Law had ceased to remain obedient to the commands of the Law, and the Lord had to do something. I once heard David Jeremiah teach that it was the religious leadership who was to blame for the tithe not being brought in because they were taking the best of the tithe for themselves and selling the rest, therefore getting rich rather than giving a portion of the tithe to the needy as the Law commanded. When the people saw that, they stopped beinging it in. He also said that the people's not giving was also based on their own greed, with which I would have to agree. I never did go in and verify this, but it does sound plausible.

But when you give it should come from the heart. And if you vowed a vow (you said that you give something to God) fulfill it coz' God will require you to fullfill your vow.

Very true indeed. Smiley
Blademan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »

Hello Blademan,

I see this is your first post, so WELCOME!

Thank you. Smiley

As you can see, there are varying opinions about tithing. I would simply say from a New Testament perspective that giving should be cheerful and from the heart. I would say that there is no instruction to tithe in the New Testament, but I would also say that doesn't mean you shouldn't give 20 or 30 percent if the Lord has enabled you to do so and it makes you happy.

I can agree with this. I do wonder, though, as to where we are to give? For clarification, I have begun to put some things together from the scriptures. In the OT, the tithe went for meeting needs, except the portion consumed by the tither during the festival celebrations before the Lord. (I've never heard this part about the tithe taught from the pulpit, strangely enough.) In the NT, we see a continuance of that same priority reflected int he collections, which also went for the meeting of needs. What this says to me is that the primary portion of our giving should always go for the meeting of needs, and whatever we give secondarily can go wherever we so desuire, such as the support of organized religion and its facilities and lawn care. Does that make sense? We today, when giving the primary portion of our giving to our church, the largest portion of it is being absorbed by the institution itself for its own expenditures and expansion rather than the meeting of needs. Where in the Bible did God ever authorize this shift away from His clear commands and examples in His written word for us to knowingly support buildings and lawn care above the care and provsion for our fellow believers in need, and the needy in our respective communities?

[/quote]I might also add that giving should never be for bragging rights, AND much very important giving is not with money, rather with labor and volunteer work of various types. Some people don't have money to give, but that doesn't mean their offering of labor means any less than someone giving money or goods.[/quote]

Very good points. Thanks. Smiley

The actual 10% was Old Testament Mosaic Law. For today, I would say that a Christian SHOULD definitely give, but the amount and the type should be between that individual and God.

This seems plausible to me.

It certainly should NOT be for recognition, status in the community, or pride.

Well, I can say that many of our modern-day church insitutions have some pretty sophisticated architecture for buidings. What I can't help but to wonder is how many needy people went without their needs being met so that the people behind those fancy walls could enjoy that monument to their pride. I mean, some of those places are downright gawdy.

Thanks, Tom, for your reply.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:31 AM »

First of all I think that there is some confusion as to the word tithe itself. The original words in Greek were apodekatoo and dekatoo and in Hebrew it was mar  masar  maasrah. The Hebrew word when properly translated means "a tenth".

The Greek word apodekatoo when properly translated into English can have several meanings ....  give ....  pay  ......  take. The Greek word dekatoo meant to give or take a tenth. It was used in those times for more than just the church. This word was used between private individuals in regards to giving, business deals, etc. In business deals it was the required repayment plan so to speak.  I am telling you this because I noted that you give a dilineation between tithe and the giving of other things. There are many people that still tend to try to separate tithing and giving but it is all in the same.

In the OT the people were required to give a tenth of their increase for a specific purpose. Anything else they were to have given for anything else was above that, from the heart.

In the NT we are no longer under the law. We are told to give(tithe) from the heart. This may mean giving(tithing) more than a tenth or less than a tenth. Today we do not deal in goods such as food but instead we deal in money. Giving to the church building, Love Offerings, giving to the Pastor's pay, giving to Missionaries, giving to the poor..... When we do these things we are tithing.

There are many verses in the NT that tells us to give to various things (His work, to the poor ....) and we are told that we will be rewarded accordingly. Some verses on this:

Your question on 1Co 16:2 ....  If we go to 2Cor 9 we see that they are talking about collecting things for the distribution between the saints and all men (for some of it went also to the poor).

2Co 9:5  Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
2Co 9:6  But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2Co 9:7  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
2Co 9:8  And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
2Co 9:9  (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

Hebrews 8 and 9 are also an excellant study for tithing.

I hope that I covered all of your questions on this.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2006, 12:08:18 PM »

Blademan,

Well, I can say that many of our modern-day church insitutions have some pretty sophisticated architecture for buidings. What I can't help but to wonder is how many needy people went without their needs being met so that the people behind those fancy walls could enjoy that monument to their pride. I mean, some of those places are downright gawdy.

I must agree with this totally. A house of worship need not be lined with gold, silver and crystal. That money would be better spent on helping the poor which is commanded of us to do in the NT even after the law.

Blademan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2006, 07:14:22 PM »

In the OT the people were required to give a tenth of their increase for a specific purpose. Anything else they were to have given for anything else was above that, from the heart.

So, are you saying that they were required to pay a tenth of their wages as well? If so, then to whom did they hand it over? Was it the Levites? Who? My understanding of one's wages is that it is not a form of increase as the Bible defines increase. Wages are an exchange of one's labor, time and skills for money, not an increase. Now, an investment of money could fall within the biblical definition of increase, as Jesus's parable about the three servants and the coins they were given to invest. Increase from the fields, orchards, vineyards, herds and flocks were just that, an increase. When a man planted a kernel of corn, and got back 100, 500, 1000 times more than he planted, then that was an increase. When I exchange my time, labor, and skills, then it's just that, an exchange. Does that make sense?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 07:56:46 PM »

Read what I said again. I did not say anything of that sort.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

dandirom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 09:50:28 PM »

Hey GKB I am not at all offended and I apologize if it seemed that way.  Yes, God does provide for us as we walk in faith.  We are actually constructing a new building which has taken 2 years so far.  It would normally have been completed in 6 months but the Lord is teaching us faith.    How does the pastor live when the wages are so small?  Faith!  God keeps on providing in miraculous ways, the same as he keeps healing people in this church.  They can't afford doctors!  We just lay hands believe and they walk away healed.    We claim Psalm 23 The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not need.   I do not believe that tithing is new testament teaching by the way, because we ourselves are the Royal Priests!!   But we give generously out of love to the one who feeds the flock.

Yes, we are the priests now according to 1Peter2. In Hebrews 7 it is also very clear that there is a change of priesthood, hence a change or the law.  The old has gone - obsolete, the new has come.  We can give more or less than 10% - as our heart purposes, not out of compulsion.  Besides, in the tithing law - if we go back to the old testament, tithes were only given once every three years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the