Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:17:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Sermons4Kids
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 372 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sermons4Kids  (Read 353031 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2006, 12:10:31 PM »

In Search of Happiness

Looking at his disciples, he said: "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh. Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. Luke 6:20-22 (NIV)

I am sure that everyone has experienced the joy of blowing bubbles. It is amazing to me that something so simple could bring so much happiness to so many people. It isn't just for kids either! I have even seen teenagers and adults laughing and having fun blowing bubbles and trying to catch them.

There is just one problem with the happiness that comes from blowing bubbles -- it doesn't last! The minute you reach out and touch one of the bubbles, it will burst. Many times we chase the bubble, but it is always just out of reach and as soon as it touches the ground, the bubble bursts.

I think this is the way it is in the lives of many people today. A lot of people are chasing after happiness, but like the bubbles, happiness is always just out of reach. Or, just when we think we have it, our bubble may burst. What are some of the things that people are chasing in their search for happiness?

Money -- Many people think that money will bring them happiness, but it doesn't. Once you spend it, it is gone, and you still don't have happiness.

Food -- We live in a day when many people seek happiness in food. They eat because they are sad or depressed and they think that food will make them feel better. It doesn't. After they eat, they are still unhappy, but now they are over-weight which makes them even more unhappy!

Entertainment -- Many people think that laughing and having a good time is the same thing as being happy, but it isn't. Many people who are laughing on the outside are crying on the inside.

Popularity -- Some people think that being popular with other people will bring them happiness. They will do anything or say anything to make other people like them, but popularity doesn't last. It is here today and gone tomorrow. There is no lasting happiness in popularity.

Jesus knew that people often look for happiness in the wrong places. He even suggested that we might be happier if we were poor, hungry, crying, and disliked by others. Why would Jesus suggest such a thing?

When we are poor, it may be easier for us to trust in God to supply everything we need instead of depending on our own wealth.

When we are hungry for God and his righteousness, we realize that only He can satisfy our hunger.

When we are crying, we can trust in God to comfort us and ease our pain.

When we think we have no friends, we have a friend in Jesus. Jesus is a friend who will never leave us.

Do you want to find happiness in life? Don't spend your time chasing bubbles. Look to your Heavenly Father. He is the source of true happiness.

Dear Father, help us to realize that we can never find happiness in the things that this world has to offer. You alone are the source of true happiness. Amen.

RECIPE FOR MAKING BUBBLE-BLOWING LIQUID

ITEMS NEEDED: An empty half-gallon milk carton -  a measuring cup - clear dishwashing liquid - glycerin (you can buy it at the drugstore)

WHAT TO DO: Rinse out the milk carton well and fill it with water. Pour out 1/3 cup of the water. Add 1/3 cup of the dish soap and 1 tablespoon glycerin. Close the carton and turn it over a couple times to mix it all up. Don't shake it, that would make suds.

(If you can wait, your bubbles will be better if the mixture is allowed to sit for 24 hours.)

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2006, 09:58:37 AM »

Sharing His Love

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Luke 6:38

I have something to give to each of you this morning and I think it is something you will like. I have a Kiss for each of you. (Pass out the Kisses) Did everyone get a Kiss? Each and every one of you got a Kiss, didn't you? You didn't have to pay for it, did you? No, that Kiss was freely given to you. I paid for them and gave them to you. Now that you have it, you may do whatever you want with it. You may either keep it and eat it yourself, or you may give it away--it is up to you to decide. We are going to take about one minute to think about this. During that time, you may decide to keep your kiss, or you may take it and give it to someone else here this morning. It is your choice.

(At this point, there are several things that might happen. (1.) All of the children may decide to keep the Kiss for themselves. You would then show them your remaining Kisses and explain that you would have given them more if they had given theirs away. (2.) Several of them may give their Kiss away. You would give them several more, depending on how many you had left to give away. (3.) There may be only one or two who give their Kiss away. You could give them a whole lot more Kisses.)

Well, I see that some of you decided to keep your Kiss for yourself and some of you decided to give your Kiss to someone else. For those of you who gave your Kiss away, I am going to give you some more Kisses. For those who kept your Kiss, well, you still have it, don't you.

As all of you know, a kiss is one way that we use to show someone that we love them, so this morning, we are going to let these Kisses represent God's love for you. God's love is given freely, isn't it? We don't have to pay for it. Jesus paid the price when He died on the cross. When you have God's love, you can keep it to yourself, or you can choose to share it with others. As you share His love-- as you choose to give it away--the more you get in return. You see, that's the way it is with God's love. The more you share it, the more you get in return. As you enjoy your candy Kiss this morning, I hope you will think about God's love for you and that you will choose to share it with others.

Jesus, thank you for freely giving your love to us. Help us to remember that you have told us to share it with others.  Amen.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2006, 09:59:37 AM »

A Debt We Can Never Repay

"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii,and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?" Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said. Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." Luke 7:41-47 (NIV)

He was just a young boy, perhaps eight or nine years old. He was playing with a friend who let him ride his bicycle. After riding the bicycle for a while, the boy got off and parked it behind a car in the driveway. Soon, the lady who owned the car came out of the house and got in the car. She started the engine and began to back out of the driveway. You can guess what happened.

"CRUNCH!" The sound was unmistakable. Without looking, both boys knew what had happened. The lady had backed right over the bicycle. All that remained was a pile of twisted metal.

The lady jumped out of her car and began to apologize. "I am so sorry. I didn't see the bicycle. I will gladly pay to buy you another one."

What a relief! The boy's worries were over -- except for having to tell his dad.

The boy didn't really want to tell his father what had happened, but he knew he would find out anyway. When he told his father what had happened and that the lady who ran over the bicycle was going to buy his friend a new one, the father said, "No way, she did not do anything wrong. It was your fault. You are the one who is responsible."

The boy's heart sank. He didn't have the money to pay for the bicycle. All he had was a few dollars in his piggy bank.

Then the father looked at the boy and said, "Son, we all make mistakes. I know that you don't have the money to buy your friend a new bicycle. I will pay for the bicycle."

The little boy ran to his daddy, put his arms around his neck, and with tears running down his cheeks, he whispered in his daddy's ear, "Thank you, daddy. I love you!"

That is a good picture of what our Heavenly Father has done for us. We have all made mistakes -- the Bible calls them sins. The Bible tells us that our Father loved us so much that he sent his only Son to die on the cross to pay for our sins. There is no way that we could ever repay him for what he has done for us. All we can do is say, "Thank you" and try to show him how much we love him.

That is what today's Bible lesson teaches us. (Read Luke 7:41-47)

How often do you tell your heavenly Father that you love him? How do you show it?

Dear Father, we love you and we just want to say, "Thank you." You paid a debt we can never repay. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2006, 10:00:35 AM »

Mountaintop Experiences

About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. As the men were leaving Jesus, Peter said to him, "Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters--one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah." (He did not know what he was saying.) Luke 9:28-33 (NIV)

One of the happiest days of my life was the day my son was born. This is a picture of me holding my new-born son. I think you can tell by the smile on my face that it was a very happy day for me. It was such a happy day that I found myself wishing that it would never end.

Even though the birth of my son was a very happy day, would it have been a good thing if it had never ended? No! That day was not a stopping place, it was a starting place. It was the start of a wonderful journey with my son. There would be many happy days to come...his first tooth, watching him take his first steps, his first day of school, his graduation from high school.

Have you ever had a day that was so wonderful that you wanted it to last forever? I am sure you probably have. Did you know that Jesus' disciples had days like that too? Our Bible lesson today is about one of those days.

One day, Jesus took Peter, James, and John with him up onto a mountain to pray. As Jesus was praying, something very strange happened. The Bible says that the appearance of his face began to change and that his clothing became as bright as a flash of lightning. Then, Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus. When Peter saw this, he was so excited that he told Jesus that he thought that they should just stay up there on the mountain and build three tabernacles -- one for Jesus, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.

Peter didn't understand that this wonderful experience on the mountain was not a stopping place -- it was a starting place. It was a starting place for God's greatest gift -- the gift of salvation. Following this moment on the mountain, Jesus died on a cross, was buried, and rose from the grave so that you and I could have eternal life in heaven.

God sends a lot of happy days into our life. The day that we meet Jesus is, without a doubt, the happiest day of our life, but it isn't a stopping place -- it is a starting point for a journey that leads to eternal life in heaven with Him.

Dear Father, we thank you for all of the happy days that you send our way, but most of all, we thank you for the happiest day -- the day we met Jesus and invited him into our heart. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2006, 03:18:17 PM »

When the Going Gets Rough

As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." Luke 9:57-58

Last week my wife and I went on vacation. We went on a camping trip to the mountains of New Mexico. Have you ever been on a camping trip in the mountains? I have some items this morning that you will need if you decide you want to go camping. Here is a sleeping bag, a small tent, a cook stove, and a lantern. You did want to rough it, didn't you?

I remember the first camping trip my family ever took. Just as we arrived at the camp site, it started to rain. We hurriedly put up our tent so that we could get inside out of the rain. It continued to rain and soon began to get dark. Since we couldn't start a fire or use our camp stove inside the tent, we decided we might as well go to sleep. We spread out our sleeping bags and climbed inside. I sure did miss my pillow...and that ground sure wasn't very soft. Finally, I fell asleep, but soon I was awakened by water dripping on my head through a leak in the tent! All night long I tossed and turned on that hard ground trying to get comfortable and find a spot where the rain wouldn't leak through the tent.

At long last, the rain stopped, but soon the sun began to peak into the windows of the tent telling us that it was time to get up. We got up, grabbed our fishing gear, and went down to the lake to catch some fish for lunch. We had been fishing for about ten minutes when my five year old son asked, "Dad, when are we going to catch something?" Well, after about four hours I was asking the same question! I gathered up my fishing gear and headed back to camp. When I got there, I said to my wife, "Let's pack up and go home. I've had all the fun I can stand!"

Well, I learned my lesson. This time when we went to the mountains, we stayed in a nice cabin with hot and cold running water, a stove, refrigerator, microwave oven, TV with a built-in VCR, and a nice comfortable bed. Now, that's my idea of roughing it.

One day, Jesus was walking along a road with some of his disciples when one of them said to him, "Lord, I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus turned to him and said, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." Jesus was trying to make his disciples understand that it wouldn't always be easy to follow him. There would be some rough times. Well, some of Jesus' followers were willing to follow Jesus as long as it was easy, but when things got hard, they decided it was time to go pack up and go home! Jesus has called us to take up our cross and follow him. Sometimes it won't be easy. People may make fun of you. Some people will hate you. Will we follow him when the going is rough, or will we pack up and go home?

Dear Jesus, you have called us to follow you. Help us to follow, even when the going gets rough. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »

Making Excuses 

As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." He said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good bye to my family." Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Luke 9:57-62 (NIV)

I am sure that all of you have been absent from school. As you know, when a child is absent from school, his parents must write an excuse so that the school will know why the child was absent. Sometimes the excuses are pretty hard to believe and sometimes they can be very funny. I have some notes this morning that are good examples of excuses that parents have written for their children.

"Please excuse Josh for being absent. I forgot to wake him up and I did not find him until I started making the beds -- by then it was too late for him to go to school."

"John didn't come to school yesterday because he was feeling like he was going to be sick. Thankfully, he wasn't!"

"Please excuse Janet's absence from school. It was Take Your Daughter to Work Day. Since I don't have a job, I made her stay home and do housework."

"Please excuse Ricky from school yesterday. He spilled gasoline on his stomach and I was afraid he might explode."

This one is my all-time favorite!

"Please excuse Mary for missing school yesterday. We forgot to get the Sunday paper off the porch and when we found it on Monday, we thought it was Sunday."

Making excuses is not new. People even made excuses in Jesus' day. One day, Jesus was walking along the road with a group of people. Jesus turned to one of the men and said to him, "Follow me."

The man answered, "First let me go and bury my father."

That sounds like a good excuse, but we don't even know that the man's father was dead. He may have wanted to wait until his father died before he began to follow Jesus.

Jesus answered him, "Let the dead bury their own dead. You go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

Jesus then turned to another man in the crowd and said, "Follow me."

The man answered, "I will follow you, Lord, but first let me go back home and say goodbye to my family."

Jesus did not like this man's excuse either. He said to him, "No man who starts to plow and then looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

Jesus was calling those who would give up everything -- family, friends, their job -- and follow him. What he got instead was excuses.

Jesus is still calling today, "Follow me!" Will you follow, or will you make excuses?

Dear Jesus, when you call us, may we never offer excuses. Instead, may we be willing to give up everything and follow you. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2006, 03:19:41 PM »

It All Depends on Jesus

After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every t own and place where he was about to go. He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road. Luke 10:1-4 (NIV)

I am getting ready to go on vacation. I have my bags all packed and ready to go. I am really looking forward to this chance to "get away from it all" so I can relax. I have a list of all the things I need to take with me on vacation.

• Clothes - enough for two weeks
• Hair dryer - in case they don't have one at the hotel
• Shaving kit (or cosmetic case) - to stay looking my best
• Some comfortable shoes - for when I have to walk
• Sandals - in case I go to the beach
• Swim suit - for the beach or the hotel swimming pool
• Camera - for sightseeing trips
• Laptop computer - in case I need to do some work
• A book - in case I get bored
• Traveler's checks, plenty of cash, and credit cards

Can you think of any other things I may have forgotten? I want to make sure that I have everything I might need on the trip. Sometimes I think that when I go on vacation, I am not really "getting away from it all" -- I am taking it all with me!

The Bible tells us that Jesus appointed seventy-two of his followers and sent them out, two-by-two, to go into every town and place where he was about to go. Do you know what Jesus told them to take with them? Nothing!

Jesus said to them, "Go!" Then he went on to say, "Do not even take a purse, or a bag, or a pair of sandals."

Now, why did Jesus say that? I think it is because when Jesus sends someone on a mission, their success or failure does not depend upon what they bring with them -- it depends on him! One reason I can be pretty certain of that is because of something else Jesus told the people when he sent them out. He said, "He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

Just as Jesus sent out the seventy-two people, he wants you and me to go to people today and share the good news that the kingdom of God is near. The results do not depend upon us. We should not become puffed up when people receive the message and we should not be discouraged when they reject the message. We should just go and tell as if everything depends on Jesus -- because it does!

Dear Jesus, may we be ready and willing to go when you say, "Go!" and leave the results up to you. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2006, 03:20:31 PM »

A Neighbor's a Neighbor!
(No Matter How Small)

The Parable of the Good Samaritan - Luke 10:25-37

I am a great fan of Dr. Seuss. I love his books. Of all the wonderful characters Dr. Seuss has created, my very favorite is Horton the Elephant. Horton is such a kind and compassionate character. I think we all could learn a lot from Horton.

The book I have today is called "Horton Hears a Who!" At the beginning of the story, Horton was splashing around in a cool jungle pool when he heard a small voice crying for help. He looked all around, but he did not see anyone. All he saw was a tiny speck of dust floating through the air. Horton realized that there was someone on that speck of dust who was calling for help. As it turned out, there was a whole town of people on that little speck of dust. They were calling out for help because they were afraid that the speck of dust would fall into the pool of water and they would drown. Even though they were so small that he couldn't even see them, Horton made up his mind that he was going to help them. "After all," he said, "A person's a person, no matter how small."

All of the other animals in the jungle thought Horton was crazy. First, a kangaroo, then some monkeys, and finally an eagle all made fun of Horton for wanting to help the people on the speck of dust. Why, they even tried to put Horton in a cage.

Even though none of the other animals would help him, Horton refused to give up. He remained faithful to the task of saving the tiny people who needed his help. Because of his faithfulness, the tiny people were saved and finally, the other animals realized that just as Horton had said, "A person's a person, no matter how small."

The story of Horton reminds me a little bit of our Bible story today. One day, a lawyer asked Jesus what he had to do to have eternal life. When Jesus asked him what the Bible said, the lawyer answered, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself." Jesus answered, "You are right. Do this and you will live." Then the lawyer, wanting to justify himself, asked Jesus another question. "Who is my neighbor?" he asked.

To answer this question, Jesus told a story about a man who was traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho when he was attacked by robbers. They beat him, took his money, stripped him of his clothes, and left him beside the road to die.

A priest came by and when he saw the man, he crossed over to the other side of the road and continued on his way.

A little while later, a Levite who worked in the temple came along. He also saw the man lying there and passed by on the other side of the road.

Finally, a man from Samaria came along, and when he saw the man, he stopped to help him. He put medicine on his wounds and wrapped them with bandages. That isn't all. He took the man to an inn and took care of him. The next day, he gave the innkeeper some money and told him to take care of the man. "Give him anything he needs. If it costs more than I have given you, I will pay you the next time I am here."

Then Jesus asked, "Which of these three men was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by the robbers."

The lawyer answered, "The one who helped him."

"You are right," said Jesus, "now you go and do the same."

Jesus has told us to love our neighbor. If you have trouble knowing who your neighbor is, just remember the story of "Horton Hears a Who!" and the story of the Good Samaritan -- then you will know that every person is your neighbor and "A neighbor's a neighbor, no matter how small!"

Dear Father, help us to love you with all our hearts and to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2006, 03:21:11 PM »

The Most Important Thing

As they went on their way, they came to a town where a woman named Martha lived. She cared for Jesus in her home. Martha had a sister named Mary. Mary sat at the feet of Jesus and listened to all He said. Martha was working hard getting the supper ready. She came to Jesus and said, 'Do You see that my sister is not helping me? Tell her to help me.' Jesus said to her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. Only a few things are important, even just one. Mary has chosen the good thing. It will not be taken away from her.' Luke 10: 38-42

Do you ever get hungry during church? Sometimes I get so hungry that I just don't think I can make it through the sermon. This was one of those mornings, so I went to MacDonald's and got a hamburger. If you will excuse me, I am going to eat it right now. (Start removing the items from the paper bag one at a time, commenting on each one as you take it out. When you have removed all of the items from the bag, show surprise and concern that something seems to be missing -- the hamburger.)

Can you imagine that? I got so interested in getting all of these things to go with my hamburger, that I forgot the most important thing. I forgot to get the hamburger!

You probably think I am pretty foolish to have forgotten the hamburger, after all, that was the most important thing. Well, I am not the only person to ever do something so foolish. That is what our Bible lesson is about this morning.

As Jesus and his disciples were traveling, they came to a town where Martha lived with her sister Mary. The sisters welcomed Jesus into their home and Martha immediately began to work very hard to get supper ready for Jesus. While Martha busied herself in preparing the meal, Mary just sat at the feet of Jeus and listened to his teaching.

Martha was upset that her sister was not helping her, so she went to Jesus and said, "Do you see that my sister is not helping me? Tell her to help me."

Jesus answered, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about too many things. Only a few things are important, perhaps just one. Mary has chosen that one thing and I will not take it away from her."

Many of us make the same mistake that Martha made. We get so busy working, going to school, playing, or watching television that we often forget the most important thing. We forget to spend time with Jesus! We must be very careful that we don't get so busy doing good things that we leave out the best! After all, Jesus is the most important thing!

Dear Jesus, help us to remember that you are the most important thing in our lives. Don't let us get so busy with other things that we forget to spend time with you. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2006, 11:28:46 AM »

Just Do It!

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Luke 11:9-10

What do you think of when you see this symbol? Right! You think of Nike. As you know, Nike is one of the world's leading manufacturers of sport's equipment. At one time, they were just known as a running shoe company, but now they make sports equipment for just about every sport you can imagine. Probably just about everyone in the world would recognize this Nike symbol.

Whenever we think of Nike, we also think of their slogan, "Just Do It!" What does that mean? Well, since Nike is in the business of making sports equipment, it means that when it comes to sports, don't talk about it -- just do it! Don't just talk about running, go out and run. Don't just talk about basketball, go out and play the game. Don't just talk about...well, I think you get the idea.

One day Jesus was with his disciples and they asked him to teach them how to pray. Jesus didn't say, "Well, first you get down on your knees, like this; then you fold your hands like this; then you close your eyes; and then you start to pray. After giving them an sample prayer, he said to them, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." In other words, Jesus told his disciples that the most important rule of prayer is -- "Just Do It!"

When we come to church, we talk a lot about prayer, don't we? When someone is sick, we say, "We need to pray for the sick." When someone is having financial problems, we say, "We need to pray for the poor." When there is war in the world, we say, "We need to pray for peace." We talk a lot about prayer, but what we really need is to "Just Do It!" In fact, I think we should stop talking about it right now -- and "Just Do It!"

Dear Father, we ask you to heal those who are sick, we ask you to provide food for those who are hungry, we ask you to bring peace where there is war. We ask these things because you are the one who gives us every good gift, and you have told us that everyone who asks receives. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2006, 11:29:36 AM »

A Fool and His Money

Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." Luke 12:15 (NIV)

Do you like to watch game shows on television? I have always been a big fan of TV game shows. One of my favorite game shows of all time was a show called "Let's Make a Deal." On that show, contestants would be given a chance to trade a prize that they had already won for a prize that was hidden behind curtain #1, #2, or #3. Sometimes they would win a great prize, but sometimes they would end up with a worthless prize. Let's play the game so you will see how it works.

To begin the game, I have a prize for someone. I have a prize for someone who made their bed this morning. Did anyone here make their bed this morning? Oh great! Here is a prize for you. (Give a treat to the child you have chosen ahead of time.) Now, I have a deal for you. You can keep the treat I have given you, or you can trade it for what is in box #1. Before you make your decision, I will tell you that one of these boxes has a nice prize. The other two do not. Do you want to trade? You do? Great, give me back the treat.

First, let's see what is in box #3. (Open box #3 to show a gag prize.) Now we know that the prize is in box #1 or box #2. You have what is in box #1, right? I have another deal for you. You can keep what is in box #1, or you can trade it for what is in box #2. Do you want to trade for box #2? You do? Great! You now have what is in box #2. First, let's see what is in box #1. (Open box #1 to reveal another gag prize.) Great! You have won the prize! (Open box #2 and give the child the prize.)

That turned out quite well, didn't it? Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way in real life. Sometimes people go through life making deals and trying to build up more and more wealth. They think that the more money and possessions they have, the happier they will be.

Jesus warned about that. He said, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." He then told the story of a man whose land had produced so much grain that he had no place to store it. Even though he had plenty, he wanted more, so he decided to tear down his barns and build bigger ones. Jesus said the man was a fool, for when his life was over, he would leave everything behind. He would leave this world with nothing.

Life is not a TV game show and God doesn't make deals. God has promised to supply all of our needs, but He has not promised to fulfill every selfish wish. "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed."

Dear Father, help us to be content with the blessings which you so generously give us and help us to be on guard against selfishness and greed. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2006, 11:30:36 AM »

Where Is Your Heart?

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  Luke 12:34

I'm sure that most of you know what this is.  It is a checkbook.  You probably don't have a checkbook, but your mom and dad do, and I am sure that you have seen them use it many times.  Most of us don't like to carry a lot of money around with us, so we put our money in the bank and when we need to buy something, we just write a check to pay for it.  Now, it is very important to keep track of all of the checks we have written so that we don't spend more money than we have in the bank.  Every time I write a check, I write down in this checkbook who I wrote the check to and for how much money.  That way I have a record of exactly how much money I have spent and how I spent it.

You know, you can tell a lot about a person by looking at their checkbook.  You can tell what is really important to a person by how they spend their money.   Let's look in my checkbook and see where I have written checks.  Hmmm, here is one to the Joe's Pizza House, here is another to the Dairy Queen, and another to Burger King, and here's one to Taco Bueno, here's one to the Chinese Kitchen.  In one brief look at my checkbook, you have learned two things about my family.  My wife and I both like to eat, and neither of us likes to cook.  Yes, you can tell a lot about a person by reading their checkbook.

Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."  The heart is a symbol for love, isn't it?  So what Jesus was saying is that you can tell what a person really loves by what he treasures the most.  How do you know what a person treasures the most?  Do you ask them what the most important thing is in their life?  No, I think there are two ways you can tell what is most important to a person.  The first is how they spend their money and the second is how they spend their time.

If we say that we love God, but spend every cent we have on ourselves, do we love God or self?  If we say that we love God, but we never spend any time with Him, do we really love Him?  Jesus said that we should love our neighbor as ourselves.  If we say that we love our neighbor but we never share what God has given us with them, do we really love our neighbor?  You don't learn what a person's treasure is by asking them.  You learn by watching how they spend their time and their money.  Look at the things you spend your time and money on and then ask yourself, "What do I treasure?  Where is my heart?"

Dear Jesus, help us to make sure that our heart is in the right place.  Help us to show our love for you and for one another in the way we spend our time and our money.  Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2006, 11:31:29 AM »

A Fruitful Life

"A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any.  So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'   " 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it.  If it bears fruit next year, fine!  If not, then cut it down.' " Luke 13:6-9 (NIV)

How many of you like apples? A nice, juicy apple is one of my favorite snacks. Here are a few facts about apples.

•  Apples not only taste good, they are good for you. Apples are fat-free, salt-free, cholesterol-free, and a good source of vitamins to help you grow.

•  The apple I have this morning is called a "Red Delicious," but you may be surprised to know that there are over 7500 different types of apples in the world.

•  The top five apple-producing countries in the world are China, the United States, Turkey, Italy and France.

There are a lot of different ways to enjoy apples. For example, you might enjoy some apple juice or apple cider. Some children like to take applesauce in their school lunches. Have you ever had some tasty apple butter on your toast in the morning? Apple slices dipped in caramel are a delicious treat. My all-time favorite, of course, is apple pie!

I am sure that all of you know where we get apples. They come from apple trees. Well, what would you do if you planted an apple tree in your garden, watered it, and took care of it and it never produced any apples? It wouldn't be much good as an apple tree, would it?

Jesus told a story about a man who had a fig tree in his vineyard that didn't produce any figs. For three years he waited for the tree to produce fruit -- but still no figs. He went to the man who took care of the tree and told him to cut it down. The caretaker asked the owner to give him one more year to dig around the tree and fertilize it to see if the tree would produce some figs. The owner agreed to give the tree another chance.

In telling this story about the fruit tree, Jesus was really talking about us - and about God. God has "planted" us on this earth and he expects us to produce good fruit in our life. What kind of fruit does God expect? Things like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, and gentleness. When He doesn't see these things in our life, He is very disappointed -- but He is willing to give us another chance.

Jesus wants to care for us and help us to be the kind of fruit-bearing children that God wants us to be. If we will trust in him, read his Word, and pray -- he will help us to produce a lot of good fruit.

Dear Jesus, help us to have the kind of fruit in our lives that would be pleasing to our Heavenly Father. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2006, 12:59:15 PM »

Sunshine Mountain

After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them. His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them. And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus.  Mark 9:2-4 (NIV)

When I was a child, one of my favorite songs was "Climb Sunshine Mountain."  Some of you may have heard it.  Perhaps some of you have even sung it.  It goes like this: (sing the song)

Climb, climb up sunshine mountain
Heavenly breezes blow
Faces all aglow

Turn, turn from sin and sorrow
Look to God on high
You and I

Isn't that a great song?  It reminds me of a day when Jesus and some of his disciples decided to climb a mountain.  The Bible tells us that Jesus took Peter, James, and John and led them up on a high mountain.  When they were alone on the mountain, Jesus' appearance began to change and his clothes became dazzling white and shone as bright as the sun.  Then Elijah and Moses appeared and began talking to Jesus.

The disciples became very excited, but as you can imagine, they were also a little bit afraid.  As usual, Peter was the first to speak.  He told Jesus that they should stay up there on the mountain and build three tabernacles.  One for Jesus, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.  All of a sudden, a cloud appeared and the voice of God came from the cloud saying, "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!"  Then Moses and Elijah disappeared and the disciples were alone again with Jesus.

You and I may never have an experience on the mountain top like the one that Peter, James, and John had, but we can "Climb Sunshine Mountain" if we will stay close to Jesus and walk with him each and every day.

Dear Father, we want to walk with Jesus and let his light shine on us.  Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2006, 01:01:22 PM »

All Bent Out of Shape

On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, "Woman, you are set free from your infirmity." Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God. Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue ruler said to the people, "There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath." Luke 13:10-14

Look at this spoon. It is all bent out of shape. I just hate it when that happens. If I tried to scoop some ice cream with this spoon, it would be hopeless. The spoon would just get even more bent out of shape and wouldn't scoop up a bit of ice cream. If I tried to eat soup with this spoon, the soup would surely run down the front of my shirt. A spoon that is bent out of shape isn't much good for anything.

People sometimes get bent out of shape too. Old age, disease, or an injury may cause a person's body to get bent out of shape. Perhaps you know someone who can't straighten their back when they stand or walk. Their bodies are bent out of shape -- like this spoon.

Sometimes, a person gets angry about something. Many times it is something unimportant. When that happens, we call it getting bent out of shape. Have you ever heard someone say to a person who was angry, "Don't get all bent out of shape?"

Our Bible lesson this morning is about two people who were all bent out of shape. The first person in our lesson had a body that was bent out of shape. One Sabbath day, Jesus was teaching in the Synagogue. As he was teaching, he saw a woman there who had been crippled for eighteen years. The Bible tells us that she was all bent over and was unable to stand up straight.

What do you think Jesus did when he saw this woman? You guessed it! He healed her. When Jesus saw the woman, he said, "Woman, you are set free from your sicknes!" Then he touched her, and instantly she could stand up straight. She began to praise and thank God for her healing.

Well, that is when the second person in our Bible lesson got all bent out of shape. The Bible tells us that the leader of the synagogue became very angry because Jesus had healed the woman on the Sabbath. "There are six days for work, so come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath" he said.

Jesus answered the leader of the synagogue, "You hypocrite! Don't you untie your donkey on the Sabbath and lead them to get a drink? Even so, it was necessary for me to heal this woman who had been suffering for over eighteen years."

You see, Jesus was always more concerned with helping people than he was about keeping rules. Rules are good, but people are more important. We should remember that the next time we start to get all bent out of shape when someone bends the rules a little bit to help someone who is in need.

Dear Jesus, help us to remember that you taught us that helping people is more important than keeping rules. Amen.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 372 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the