Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286823 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Aramaic word
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aramaic word  (Read 1222 times)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2003, 10:59:54 AM »

Hello all,

Does anyone have an Aramaic dictionary?  I have looked all through Strong's and cannot find the word I am looking for.

In Matt 16 Peter is refered to as Simon bar Jonah which is Aramaic and I am looking for the Aramaic translation of Shimon.  I know that bar Jonah means "of the Dove" and I know that Shimon in Hebrew means "hearer".  But I have been told that Shimon in Aramaic means "grain of sand" but cannot confirm it.  The closest I can come is the Aramaic word "yshiymown" meaning "desert".

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 01:16:54 PM »

Hello all,

Does anyone have an Aramaic dictionary?  I have looked all through Strong's and cannot find the word I am looking for.

In Matt 16 Peter is refered to as Simon bar Jonah which is Aramaic and I am looking for the Aramaic translation of Shimon.  I know that bar Jonah means "of the Dove" and I know that Shimon in Hebrew means "hearer".  But I have been told that Shimon in Aramaic means "grain of sand" but cannot confirm it.  The closest I can come is the Aramaic word "yshiymown" meaning "desert".

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to this board Michael,

The following is all I was able to put together;

According to;

http://www.sacklunch.net/BibleNames/index.html

Barjona, is defined as;

Meaning of Bible Name: Barjona #920
Barjona: Son of a Jona (or Jonah); of a dove

We read at Mk 1:42
"Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas,

And Simon, is defined as;

Meaning of Bible Name: Simon  #4613

Simon: That hears; that obeys

And the Chaldean or Araimic word for Simon is Simeon one of the Sons of Jacob.  Shimon in Araimic, appears to have a different meaning,

And Simeon is defined as;

Meaning of Bible Name: Simeon #8095

Simeon: That hears or obeys; that is heard

This is excellent since the Word of God is proven to be true in everyway.

And Simon Peters name certainly reflects his willingness to;  Hear and Obey the Holy Spirit who descended in the form of a DOVE and abode upon Jesus (Jhn 1:32-33) Jesus went on to speak concerning the Holy Spirit(Jhn 14:26,15:26,16:7).

Peter, after his own conversion testified later after he had been Baptized with the Holy Spirit, ;

Acts 5
32  And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Thought the meaning of names do reflect truths, one must be carefull, not to take their menaings literrally unless one is sure their menaing is exactly as defined in the original tongue from which it is taken.

The book which may help you further, is available thru Wal Mart, although presently they are out of them.

But perhaps, it might be available for further research on the net.

Hebrew and Aramaic Dictionary of the Old Testament Author: Fohrer, George

Pub. Date: Jun 1973, Publisher: Walter De Gruyter Inc ISBN: 3110045729, Dimensions (inches): 1.25x5.5x8.5

Blessings,

Petro

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 06:48:32 PM »

There is something else I want to share.

As I thought about this thread while eating lunch, because I remembered a few years back, reading the following passage of scripture, and wondering who Luke was refering to;

Acts 15
14  Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

I remember wondering who this Simeon being reffered to herein might be, thinking it was Simeon the "just and devout man" of Luke 2:25,34, but I could not make the connection, so I decided to look into the name, Simeon

I looked into it, and could not find any reference to it nor connect it with anyone in particular, so I asked someone, who told me, in the context of Acts 15, it was referring to Simon Peter, who had spoken at first before the Council at Jerusalem.

I remember (at the time) just simply accepting the answer, and never thought about it again, until, while eating lunch today, I rememebred the name Simeon being a reference to Peter somewhere in scripture, the Hebrew name of Simon son of Jona, whose name was changed by Jesus to Cephas "rock", Petro/Peter.

So if it is so, here is a scripture that confirms Peter name as Simeon.

It appaears in the context, that James is saying Simon has spoken and the prophets agree with what he has said or what Simon has testified to is confirmed to us by the prophets.

So there you have it, I think it requires a little more work, but there might be something here.  And then again, maybe not.

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 06:56:13 PM by Petro » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the