Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:51:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286823 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Psychological objections/support for Christianity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Psychological objections/support for Christianity  (Read 2624 times)
JBrown

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2003, 08:19:38 PM »

Hello there all.  

I was just wondering about objections and support for Christianity/God in psychology.  In my reading, I have not come upon much (psych theory of religion mostly).  The bulk of debate seems to center around other arenas, like geology, astronomy, etc.  

I am familiar with the religion as a emotional crutch idea.  Also of humankinds seemingly inherent need for a creator and their turning away from Him.  I'd be interested in any kind of facts or discussion your Christian minds can give me.  Perhaps you could point me in the direction of a book or research.  

Keep in mind I'm not trying to start any arguments here, rather a more objective listing of issues and discussion.  Thanks, I hope this topic hasn't already been talked to death here.  G'day.  
Ralph

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 09:29:31 PM »

J. Brown--you framed a very good question in an honest manner. Thanks.
  The best resource for the issue between God and man from the Bible's perspective is the letter which the Apostle Paul wrote to believers in Rome. "Romans" is very fittingly placed in the New Testament as the first book (letter, really) after Acts.
  Acts is the history of spread of the gospel after Jesus was
resurrected and ascended to the Father. In Acts you can read
some of the gospel messages preached by the disciples and apostles of Jesus and follow their work (their Acts) in the establishing of the church.
  After Acts, you find the letter which Paul wrote to the believers in Rome. It is very fittingly next to "Acts" because it very systematically and concisely explains the doctrinal issues which we most need to understand. After greeting and speaking to the people in Rome about preliminary matters, Paul
begins speaking to them about the reason we all need the gospel of which he was not ashamed. Rome was the educational and cultural center of the world, but as Paul contemplated bringing the gospel to that proudest of civilized centers, he says in verse 16 of the first chapter that he was "not ashamed of the gospel of Christ."
  For all its excellence, Rome was short of what the Roman people most needed and Paul was ready to stand before them in the midst of their riches, art, science, and culture and preach the gospel without any shame. No matter what the accomplishments of a nation may be, its people cannot be truly complete without being properly related to the God who establishes all nations.
  From 1:16 to 3:20, Paul shows the dreadful state that we ALL (I say again, ALL) are in as a consequence of Adam's fall.
Then, beginning in 3:21, he begins to show-and explain-the remedy which God made for mankind through Christ.
  Once a person has understood the doctrines which Paul taught in Romans, he can safely navigate through all other Scripture without getting lost because all Bible doctrine is in accord with the doctrines carefully laid out there.
  Of all things, the key thing to watch for in Scripture is its teaching concerning Christ. The doctrines in Romans focus upon Him and the redemption which He has worked out. If
the message of the Bible were to be condensed into one word, that word must be "Christ." The Old Testament prophesied of and looked forward to Him. The New Testament
looks back at His coming and looks forward to His return.
  As you read the gospels, constantly be aware that what
you see in Jesus you also see in God because He is exactly as God the Father is. As Jesus said, "He that has seen me has seen the Father." and the writer of Hebrews says that Christ is the "erxpress image" of the Father. Want to know what the only true God is like? Look at Jesus!
JBrown

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 06:52:38 PM »

Thanks for the response.  You also managed to shed light on two other things I was thinking over, one of them having crept up only about an hour ago.
Ralph

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 01:32:12 PM »

J Brown--Concerning the religion/psychology aspect of Christianity. There is a wealth-a massive body-of material
which deals with the interaction of which you speak.
  Christian Book Distributors (CBD.com) has many books at discount prices. They offer the Francis Schaeffer "Trilogy,"
everyone of the three volumes in that set would be suitable to what you indicate an interest in. It is available for $19.95.
  R.C. Sproul is another who writes and speaks thoroughly of that matter. One of his books is entitled "A Christian view of men and things." His website is: Renewing your Mind.com. There you will find a number of books by him on that subject. He also has volumes by other writers. Your best chance for a thorough, balanced consideration is in the materials of these two men.
  Concerning the "crutch" issue: Christian people believe the Bible which gives credit to God not only for the work of creation but for His providence also, which includes His preservation of EVERYONE. For example, in Acts 17 His is said to give to all "life, and breath, and all things." That is not an isolated reference of Scripture, but the same benefits from Him are spoken of in many places in Scripture. Those benefits
are not only to believers, but to unbelievers as well. Because believers acknowledge God's works of providence and give to Him the credit which He is due, unbelievers say that He is our "crutch." Yet those who charge us with that have the same benefits. They just don't accept that fact and so they say that they don't need a crutch. In the book of Daniel, King Nebuchadnezzer of Babylon claimed fore himself the glory of
Babylon's greatness rather than acknowledge God's work in it. As a consequence, God deprived Nebuchadnezzar of those gifts of which God had blessed him, and you can find what he was in himself without God recorded in the account in Daniel.
  Nebuchadnezzar is the king of Babylon scular historians are speaking of when they report the madness that came upon
him for a time. The Bible states that in God are hidden "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." We believe that, so we
have a "crutch." Those who think they have no need of Him and His gifts refuse of acknowledge Him, and so they consider themselves able to fare well without "a crutch."
  Have a good weekend.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the