Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 02:00:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286823 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  I'm not sure if this is the right board but i have a question about converting.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm not sure if this is the right board but i have a question about converting.  (Read 2433 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2003, 07:53:25 AM »

Tibby:  Clearly Roman Catholics are not brainwashed.

WhitehorseToo

Distinct llamaic sympathies

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2003, 10:36:16 PM »

Well, it isn't about church hierarchy, because the Bible clearly lays out the requirements for church officers. But here's a starter: Jesus told us to call no man (in the context of religious leader) Father. For that is a title to be used only for God. So why are priests called the very thing prohibited in scripture?

Love in Christ.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2003, 11:01:14 PM »

This is a plain enough question. There are several ways we approach this problem:

1. And this one is the most obvious, what about your biological father? What do you call him? He is a man, is he not? And you call him father.

2. And this one is most used by Catholic Apologist, read the whole chapter. They also say to call no man teacher, and to call no man Rabbi. But they called Jesus Teacher, we call teachers teachers. They called Jesus Rabbi. Teacher, Father, Rabbi.

3. And this one is my personal favorite, does the bible not tell us to cut off parts of our body that cause us to sin? So, Whitehorse, are you maimed, or sinless? Since you expect the Catholics to follow the bible in such a literal manor, should you not lead by example and do the same? The Bible also says not to call other a fool, to do so will cause you to be endangered of the fires of hell, but I've been called a fool in this forum for being Catholic. Not by you, but by others.

When you get right down to it, Father is a title, nothing more.

I'd really prefer if we not continue in this thread. I can if you wish, but consider PMing your next question and/or your rebuttal to me.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
WhitehorseToo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2003, 11:18:26 PM »

As you like, my friend. PM it is.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2003, 08:47:20 AM »

Thank you. Smiley

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
WhitehorseToo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 07:50:38 PM »

You're welcome.  Smiley
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2003, 08:08:42 PM »

Tamara is entirely correct. First and foremost, you have to make sure you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Do this by asking Him to come into your life. He will. Then, the Holy Spirit will lead you to the church that best fits you. Good luck and God bless you.
Hear the good news of Jesus Christ, be pricked by it in your heart and believe the good news of Jesus Christ, repent of your sins, be baptized for the remission of those sins, receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, confess Jesus as the son of God, be added by the Lord to His church, assemble with a local congregation of Christ's church, be faithful .
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 08:13:16 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Agur3046

I'm a sparrow

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2003, 04:13:36 AM »

Dear Laisie

I want to add to this by saying that if you go to any church, they won't save at all; that means going to the Catholic Church won't save you neither a Baptist Church - I am in full agreement with Tamara
       To deternine what is true and what is false, go only to the Word and read it because it is from God not from man:

6   The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7   Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever. - Psalm 12:6-7

16   All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17   That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

All churches do not save but they do have messeges.  Dont pay attention to looks and feels of the church but test them to see if they pass the test.

What brings eternal life?
1.   Salvation by Faith Alone:

This means that when you hear the "Good News" you made a decision in your heart - "I want you Jesus" as a response to the Gospel Messege, you place Faith in Him; but it is more than just faith that He will take care of you, it is Faith that He Saved you, that He alone have paid the penalty for all your sins so He  without fail will bring you to heaven.  This is true Faith that you have confidence that once you give your life to HIm, your eternity is secure, and that you will never lose it because He is faithful that He will never lose you.  That is faith alone because no works or deeds can ever help.

That I shared is what many protestants believed.  That prespective I believed whole-heartedly because to me, that is clearly taught in scripture.  
       Now obviously, the Catholic prespective is different from ours that Faith and Works must go hand-in-hand unto salvation.  Faith, along with the sacraments, the follower must stay the course keeping the commandments of God and repenting of all sins until death comes.  This idea, I really disagree with but that is between You and God to decide.

Ps.  When reading the Bible, read the Bible literally and carefully and please, don't be afraid to ask any questions

agur

« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 04:17:53 AM by Agur3046 » Logged

"Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Proverbs 30:4 & Ephesians 2:8-9
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the