Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:48:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286821 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Forum is very quirky and frustrating to use....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forum is very quirky and frustrating to use....  (Read 3648 times)
carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2004, 12:24:54 PM »

Hi everyone,

It's getting kinda frustrating to use this forum and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding the following quirks.

1.  When I get an email notifying me of a reply to a post I am following, and I go the link I receive in the email, I always end up at the first post in the thread. NOT the last one.  Neccesitating me having to manually find the last page of the thread and then go to the end of that to find the last and newest thread.  

2.  When I reply to a post (being logged in of course) I am then left at the top of the thread again and must go back down to my last new post all over again to see it once more.  Most forums automatically leave one at the post they just posted when replying.  Not at the head of the thread!  This results in inflated views to the thread since everyone is continually jacking up the view count while they travers to the last post.  

Any suggestions?  

Perhaps it is a Windows vs Linux thing (I use Linux) but I have never had a problem on any other forum I have ever been on with my browser (Mozilla) that I can recall so I doubt it's that.

Carlos
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 02:06:04 PM »

I have never had that problem. I use Mozilla firefox browser. I think it may just be........... a difference in Linux, and windows.

carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 02:25:33 PM »

I use the Mozilla firefox browser as well Dreamweaver.  Can you or anyone else do me a favor.  Can you try the following link to a thread on this forum and see if it brings you to the last post in the thread or close to that (given that there may be some new posts)?  It takes me to the beginning of the thread.  

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=4432;start=new

This is the link I get when I receive an email from the forum saying there is a new post in the thread I am watching.  

Carlos
carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 02:27:40 PM »

That's weird.  I just tried the link myself from off my previous post and it worked just fine.  Hmmm....I will to carefully check this out.  Perhaps it is indeed something with my computer use or programs.  

Carlos

carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 02:37:32 PM »

Okay here is the revised scoop on this.

IF I am logged in I can click on the link above and no problem.  I can even copy it into my browser address box and go to it no problem.  Ending up in the last post of the thread.  

BUT....

IF I am logged out both clicking on the link above and copying the same link into my browser address bar results in my being left at the top post in the thread.  

What gives?

My browser is able to get to the last post in the thread just fine when I am logged in but not when I am not.

Can anyone else confirm this?  Through whatever browser you use?  

It's either my browser or the forum board.  Given that the faulty behaviour only happens when I am not logged in I am starting to lean in the direction of thinking that the fault lies in how the forum board processing requests from unknown users.

Carlos
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 06:52:19 PM »

Hello Carlos123,

The forum software is designed to work around a cookie given to your machine after you logon. The cookie is really little more than your log on information and is your authorization to post as a member.

I've never tried using the forum without logging on, but I do know there are all kinds of things that don't work without the cookie, or at least they work strangely. We've had various reports of problems from folks who either remove the cookie or have privacy settings so high that the cookie won't work. Think of the cookie from the CU Server like a key to your car.

Every time your computer requests information from the CU Server, the cookie determines what you get. Some people have been told cookies are bad, and some of them are. However, the CU Cookie is little more than identifying you as a registered user. All browsers and cleaning type programs are different, so I won't try to guess how your software works. I have Christians Unite set as a "trusted site", and I use the log on forever function. I use the log on and log off function on each visit. I use a program called RoboForm that automatically fills in my user name and password.

Without the Christians Unite cookie on your computer, the server would simply recognize you as an unknown. I hope this helps some. I doubt that many functions would work properly without in.

Love In Christ,
Tom

carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 07:30:33 PM »

Thanks Tom.  I appreciate the heads up reminder about cookies (even though I am former web developer and computer programmer - now turned hot dog vendor by choice - who realizes there is nothing evil about cookies Smiley.  

I find it rather quirky that of all the forums I have visited yours is the only one that behaves this way.  At least that I can recall.  One would think that the URL which is sent to forum members indicating that a new post is in a thread would direct visitors to the last post whether one is logged in or not.  

To do otherwise is to make the forum difficult to use.  More difficult than it needs to be.  Often I just want to read a new post.  Not neccessarily respond.  Yet I must presently traverse manually to the last post every single time I visit a thread or log in (which puts me into the main forum area).  On short threads it's not too bad but when I am following a long thread with multiple pages it becomes a much greater headache.  

A headache which I will quickly tire of in terms of my willingness to participate in a more active way on the forum as a whole.  

One other point Tom.  If indeed this is being caused by the way your forum handles cookies it encourages actions which are worse from a security standpoint.  Both for your forum and for visitors to it.  For I and others will just be tempted to stay logged in and keep a browser window opened all day to the forum on screen.  So that we might not have to log in every time we want to be taken to the last posts in threads we are following.  

I would highly suggest you review your cookie processing procedures to make visiting the forum less of a chore Tom.  

Carlos
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 07:32:23 PM by carlos123 » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 09:47:15 PM »

Carlos123 Said:

One other point Tom.  If indeed this is being caused by the way your forum handles cookies it encourages actions which are worse from a security standpoint.  Both for your forum and for visitors to it.  For I and others will just be tempted to stay logged in and keep a browser window opened all day to the forum on screen.  So that we might not have to log in every time we want to be taken to the last posts in threads we are following.  

I would highly suggest you review your cookie processing procedures to make visiting the forum less of a chore Tom.  

Carlos

Carlos,

This isn't my forum. I'm just a volunteer here. The server and forum software is owned and maintained by ADMIN. I don't know what all of the concerns are, but I don't think that logging on is any big deal to enhance information exchange with the CU Server. I don't speak for ADMIN, but I seriously doubt this will be changed. The CU Server provides dynamic and changing content for thousands of Christian web sites, much more than just the users of the forum. There are large portions of Christians Unite designed to give full service to anonymous masses and other portions designed to give full service to identified members.

Regarding where the notice takes you, it takes you to the first new post in that thread, not the last. Further, if you don't click that notice, you won't get further notices on the same thread. I doubt it is any big concern to set the forum software to take commands from unknown computers. I'm glad it's not my problem to worry about all the security aspects of such a large system.

If the few seconds of logging on is a bother to you, I suggest you use RoboForm or some other program to log on for you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:29:21 PM »

Tom,

Thanks for your additional input. I appreciate it.  And I also appreciate the effort you seem to put in as a volunteer (I have read some of the threads where you have had to step in keep the peace so to speak).  

I doubt it is any big concern to set the forum software to take commands from unknown computers.

Indeed it probably is not Tom but may I say that this is what distinguishes great companies / forums / churches / or any grouping of people from those that are not so great?  Namely how sensitive they are to how the little people feel about something.  

Instead of a top down approach they use a bottom up approach to serve their "customers" without compromising their overriding principals.  

I don't mean great as in trying to be superior over everyone else.  I mean great in the sense that through continual user input they improve to be as good as they can be.  

If the christian unite powers that be have an attitude or perspective of not listening to complaints like mine because they do not consider it worthy enough to at least investigate it and do something about it if possible then users, like me, will continue to be frustrated using their services and will most likely just go elsewhere.  

I'm not trying to be a hard nose Tom.  Only trying to point out that for people using Internet forums these "quirks" considered little by upper management can sometimes drive people away.  And uneccessarily so.  

Just my two cents worth Tom for what good it has done.  I realize your hands are probably tied but I would have hoped that upper management here, in a Christian forum, would have had a more sensible approach to listening to user complaints and perhaps have shown at least a willingness to really listen and perhaps do something about them if at all possible.  

Like I said, in all the forums I have ever participated in, I have never, ever encountered one that was more frustrating to use as an end user.  And I have been involved in a LOT of them.  Cookies and all.  

Nothing personal Tom.  

Carlos
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 11:57:54 PM »

Carlos,

On a second cycle of thousands of users, you are the first to mention this as a potential problem. For my two cents worth, it isn't a problem or a quirk of any kind. So, we can agree to disagree.

Love In Christ,
Tom

carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 12:30:29 AM »

I could say all kinds of things and make valid points about these silent thousands and why you have not heard of this problem before and da di da but yup...we can agree to disagree Smiley.  

Though I will be asking anyone wanting to discuss something other than what I am involved in discussing now on this forum to .... please ... discuss it in another forum which does not have these quirks.  They are driving me batty.  

Carlos
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 01:09:14 AM »

carlos I use the auto log on when I come on site. I have never had a problem. The "quirks" as you call them aren't a problem. I am normally taken to the last post I have seen in the forum.

carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 01:31:30 AM »

What is this auto-logon you all are mentioning?  

Before you answer please bear in mind that I do not leave my browser open on my desktop while logged in anywhere (to better secure my computer and to prevent hackers from causing a problem through me to the site I am logged on to).  

I do not use programs like Roboform which cost money I believe and which may be broken into such that everything I have stored in one place is compromised.  

The above, along with other measures I take, has allowed me live virus and hacker free for years.  Even under Windows Smiley.  It may also seem quite paranoid to people who have little experience with Internet security issues.  

So if this auto-logon is still an option for me given the above please let me know what it is that I might take advantage of it.  As it is I am so frustrated by having to go through what I have to go through to post things on this forum that the discussion I am presently on will be my last here.  

Thanks.  

Carlos
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 01:58:42 PM »

In re the handling of non-logged on users.

FWIW, I remember about 2? years ago, CU underwent a very vicious hack attack, and was completely destroyed for a little while. I would surmise that the handling of non-logged on users is a safety mechanism of some sort to help keep the nasties at bay (or at least with some sort of track record).

The auto-logon is a click box available when you do log in, says "keep me always logged on".

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 02:19:30 PM »

Well fancy meeting you here Evangelist Smiley.  

FWIW, I remember about 2? years ago, CU underwent a very vicious hack attack, and was completely destroyed for a little while. I would surmise that the handling of non-logged on users is a safety mechanism of some sort to help keep the nasties at bay (or at least with some sort of track record).

While I can see how that could be viewed as such the fact is that any hacker, even a novice, who wanted to crack into and cause havoc on CU could just sign up as a member and then bypass any benefit to CU's way of handling non-logged in members.  Assuming that such is there out of security consciousness.  

Security on a web site by neccessity, involves much more than having private access to a site through logins when anyone and their next door neighbor can become members.  

Not that such is of no use mind you.  On the contrary.  It is often used to prevent search engines from scanning the pages of a forum, having certain pages be viewable by members only, and other such things.  But from a security standpoint CU's present handling of logged-in vs non-logged-in users is utterly useless.  It only frustrates people like me who might be inclined to visit the forum more often but don't.  

Carlos
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the