Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  THE DISPUTATION: Of Al Gore, Global Warming and God
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE DISPUTATION: Of Al Gore, Global Warming and God  (Read 2767 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2006, 07:15:36 PM »

THE DISPUTATION: Of Al Gore, Global Warming and God
By david klinghoffer
July 21, 2006

If you've seen Al Gore's global-warming scare movie, "An Inconvenient Truth," you may have come away as I did, wondering about the highly partisan nature of the climate-change debate. Why is it partisan at all? If carbon-dioxide emissions are perilously raising global temperatures, surely that's a problem which can be left to scientists and other non-ideological experts.

That's a big "if." As a new report by the House Energy and Commerce Committee makes clear, statisticians doubt the work of those climate researchers who seek to show that the climate for the past 1,000 years was stable until recent times when it suddenly rose sharply. On the contrary, the climate has always varied, up and down over centuries and millennia.

So what exactly are we fighting when about when we fight about climate change? Maybe a resolution of the mystery can be found in the Bible's famous story of environmental catastrophe: that of the flood and its sequel, the tower of Babel.

God sent the deluge to erase life and get a fresh start with Noah and his family. Later, a group of the children of these flood survivors settled in the land of Shinar, saying to one another, "Come, let us build for ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed across the whole earth" (Genesis 11:4).

This plan greatly displeased God. "And the Lord dispersed them from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city" (11:8 ).

What was so wrong with constructing the ancient Near Eastern equivalent of a skyscruder? The Talmud, in tractate "Sanhedrin," has an illuminating answer. When the notion of building a tower was decided upon, it was thanks to the collaboration of three groups of citizens.

The first group said, "Let us ascend [to the top of the tower] and live there." They thought they could "live," survive the next flood by propping up the heavens to prevent them from spilling forth their contents to drown humanity once again. The second said, "Let us ascend and worship idols."

The third said, "Let us ascend and wage war." On whom? Well, who else resides in the heavens? They wished to wage war on God Himself.

When the call went out to construct the tower, few citizens had an inkling of what the most subversive in the society had in mind, which was to free humanity of God's rule. The sincere environmentalists were fooled into panicking about a non-existent threat. For everyone should have been aware of the promise God made to their ancestor Noah, that "Never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth" (9:11).

Perhaps there is an implicit recognition on the part of today's enviro-skeptics that the present fight isn't merely about the environment. That's what the novelist Michael Crichton argued in a 2003 speech to the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco: "Today, one of the most powerful religions in the Western world is environmentalism. Environmentalism seems to be the religion of choice of urban atheists. Why do I say that? Well, just look at the beliefs. If you look carefully, you see that environmentalism is in fact a perfect 21st-century remapping of traditional Judeo-Christian beliefs and myths."

It's clear that climate-change activists have a moral message. But it's a completely different one from any you'll find in the Bible. Basically, it has to do with shedding the encumbering complexities associated with modern industry and technology.

Environmental religion has an ancient pedigree. When the book of Deuteronomy warned, "You shall not plant for yourselves an idolatrous tree, any tree, near the Altar of the Lord your God" (16:21), it had this in mind. In "The Golden Bough," James Frazer devoted a chapter to the cult of nature: "In the religious history of the Aryan race in Europe the worship of trees has played an important part. Nothing could be more natural. For at the dawn of history Europe was covered with immense primeval forests, in which the scattered clearings must have appeared like islets in an ocean of green."

Global-warming partisans are not self-aware like the tree-worshipping druids of old. Which might lead us to ask if perhaps, like the first party of builders, the second party are being used and manipulated without their being conscious of it.

As for the party who would make war on God, consider the implications of spiritualizing the environment, of equating God with nature, a favorite green theme. Writing in the journal First Things in 1997, Father Richard John Neuhaus put it well: "When all is God, there is no need for God." Which explains the affinity of secularism for environmental causes.

What we argue about when we argue about global warming probably in fact has little to do with the weather. It is not surprising that traditionally religious people would turn away from an environmental issue like global warming, especially when the science behind the theory remains ambiguous at best, and distrust a political party committed to panicking unreservedly about it.

As I've written here before, between America's two major political philosophies the major dividing issue isn't really political at all. It is religious. It's about God.

THE DISPUTATION: Of Al Gore, Global Warming and God

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 07:16:51 PM »

I thought this might spark a little debate............  Grin Grin Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:58:49 PM »

What's to debate. God said it will happen so it will.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:18:58 PM »

I have always been entertained by the environmentalist religion. any neutral expert (there are a few, I have seen the articles) on weather and temperature can tell us that the temperature cycle is just that, a cycle and has almost nothing to do with what we created humans have done to it.

Not saying anything about the chemicals we have dumped into the environment, causing polution of our waters and land, Roll Eyes just saying that the "global warming" scare is nothing more than the adjenda of the misinformed, uninformed and manipulative.

Like PR, and DW said, God says the earth will not be destroyed by flood, so it won't.

Works for me. Wink

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:59:28 AM »

Senator: 'Global warming' like Third Reich lie
'You say something over and over and over and over again, and people will believe it'

Heat wave has senator sticking to beliefs
By JIM MYERS World Washington Bureau
7/22/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

WASHINGTON -- First came the Al Gore movie, and then there was the Tom Brokaw television documentary.

Now, a heat wave with triple-digit temperatures is gripping much of the nation.

Is U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe, who believes that manmade global warming is "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people," losing the public relations battle on that issue?

The Oklahoma Republican and chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee concedes that those on the other side of the global warming debate have dominated the air waves lately, but he remains confident that his side will be proved right in the end.

Indeed, Inhofe insists that he feels even stronger about taking on what he sees as the current hysteria about global warming than he did several years ago when he first uttered that now-famous hoax statement.

In an interview, he heaped criticism on what he saw as the strategy used by those on the other side of the debate and offered a historical comparison.

"It kind of reminds . . . I could use the Third Reich, the big lie," Inhofe said.

"You say something over and over and over and over again, and people will believe it, and that's their strategy."

As for anyone trying to use the current heat wave to bolster the case, he said even those on the other side of the debate concede that no one should link a single weather event to climate change.

"A hot summer has nothing to do with global warming," Inhofe said. "Let's keep in mind it was just three weeks ago that people were saying, 'Wait a minute; it is unusually cool."'

He blames the media for handing over an unfair amount of air time and coverage to the side that pushes the claim that links man to climate change.

"I have asked several of them," Inhofe said: 'Name one time when an hour has been given to the other side of the issue.' "

While declining to watch either the Gore movie or the Brokaw documentary, the senator said he armed himself with the statements used in both.

"I know the text, and I know they are using old stuff that has been totally discredited," Inhofe said. "Everything on which they based their story, in terms of the facts, has been refuted scientifically."

He offered his point-by-point response to both.

They include such claims as that polar bear populations are shrinking along with their food supplies, and the glaciers in Glacier National Park are disappearing.

Inhofe insists that the number of polar bears is not dropping and that some of the glaciers in the national park are actually getting bigger.

As for the Kilimanjaro glacier, which reportedly is disappearing, Inhofe said the loss can be blamed on the cutting of trees, which once held the moisture.

"One by one, you can refute everything they are saying," Inhofe said.

He includes in that claim the warnings by some that the planet is closing in on a tipping point or a point of no return when it comes to climate change.

Inhofe recalls the warnings a few decades ago that another ice age was coming.

He dismisses even the suggestions that Americans could help by giving up big cars or using more energy-efficient light bulbs.

"It is not going to make any difference," the senator said.

"But if it makes them feel good, they can do it."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 07:02:52 AM »

When it comes to global warming or the supposed affects of it there is nothing that man can do to prevent the things that God says will happen.

Mat 24:7  For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:05:42 AM »

I find it interesting that they do not recall not too many years ago, the cold and rainy summer we had (at least in WI) that did as much dammage to crops as any drought. Too much in any extream will have the same effect on the delicat balance the Creator set up.

And like your said PR, there will be famine, bay any cause.......

Gary

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 09:17:53 AM »

That is correct. And many foe these scientists that tout global warming today will not admit to being the same ones that in the 70's were warning of the coming of another ice age simply because we had a few cold years and the glaciers were growing.

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 12:24:45 PM »

I think if you read DW's article carefully theres a underlying point being made.

Ever since the fall from paradise, man has attempted to change the evironment back to that original perfect state as if to blame the environemt for our sinful condition rather than our sinful nature for the problem.   Those of you who see scripture dispensationally can might appreciate this a little more clearly.

In the end, God restores the environment to a perfect state when Satan is bound for a 1,000 years....however, when the devil is released at the end of that thousand years, God proves to man once again thats its not his environment thats to blame, but mans nature and rejection of God.  Those who are dwelling in the 4 corners of the earth once again reject God's ordinances.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:28:12 PM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 12:29:40 PM »

On a side note: if the left wingers don't get on board and help address the real problems we are facing, they aint seen global warming like the one thats coming.

Amen!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:46:06 PM »

I think if you read DW's article carefully theres a underlying point being made.

Ever since the fall from paradise, man has attempted to change the evironment back to that original perfect state as if to blame the environemt for our sinful condition rather than our sinful nature for the problem.   Those of you who see scripture dispensationally can might appreciate this a little more clearly.

In the end, God restores the environment to a perfect state when Satan is bound for a 1,000 years....however, when the devil is released at the end of that thousand years, God proves to man once again thats its not his environment thats to blame, but mans nature and rejection of God.  Those who are dwelling in the 4 corners of the earth once again reject God's ordinances.

I see that you caught on 2T, where everyone else missed it. Cheesy

Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 03:55:48 PM »

while I agree with 2T, I still don't see it in the artical............. Huh

I only see people trying to replace the emptiness they feel from being apart from God with a "cause" Grin

Come to Christ and be filled up Grin

Gary

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »

I see that you caught on 2T, where everyone else missed it. Cheesy

LOL yes He did.   I decided to edit it out because it seemed to be slightly off base with my prior comments.   Even so, I still stand by that statement.  If they don't get aboard, the current global warming might be adjusted by someones thermonuclearstat  Wink

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 05:05:11 PM »

while I agree with 2T, I still don't see it in the artical............. Huh

I only see people trying to replace the emptiness they feel from being apart from God with a "cause" Grin

That too brother, that too!   Maybe thinking of it like this you see it....they are pushing for change that will address evrionmental problems to SAVE the earth, and themselves.   The problem is not the environment, its the corrupt nature within man.  They don't want to hear that, in fact, they want to remove all referenses that remind us of that, so they don't have to look at it.   They are only interested in treating the symptoms, not the problem.   This can be seen throughout mankinds history.....its called religion!   

But your comment is right on target as well  Smiley

Tim

Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 06:37:17 PM »

ooooooooohhhhhh

I get it Grin Thats what I thought you ment, just didn't get it out of the artical, at first Grin

Gary

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the