Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Old Tattered Bible
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Old Tattered Bible  (Read 774 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

When I joined the Navy I took my Bible with me everywhere that I could. I had it through boot camp and my first duty station after that, which was stateside shore duty. Close to the end of my shore duty tour I was up for reassignment. I was being sent overseas to some small command in the Viet Nam area. I decided to go home for a short time to visit with my parents. I had to take all my belongings with me as I would not be going back to the shore command but straight on to my next duty station.

I spent a wonderful 2 weeks with my family and friends. Inevitably it was time to go. I repacked my things and was off on a trip that took over two days to get there. I had looked several times during the trip and couldn't find my Bible. I thought that perhaps it was in the bottom of my seabag which I didn't have time to unpack and repack during the trip. The seabag for most of the trip was in the cargo hold of a plane anyway. When I got to a temporary command waiting for further transportation to my new command, I unpacked and realized that I must have left it behind. I received a letter from my parents a few days later saying that they had it and was sending it to me. I got transfered on to my final destination before it got there. The command I was now at was out in the middle of nowhere and it seemed to take forever to get anything from home. Sometimes as long as six months.

I felt lost without my Bible. It really grieved me to not be able to do my daily Bible reading. When I got onto the boat and put my things down below I saw and old tattered Bible sitting in the hold. I asked whose it was and the guys there told me it was left behind by the guy I was replacing.

I was soon to quickly find out that I would not be able to have a set time for Bible reading. As we pulled out on a mission things got hectic pretty quickly. When things calmed down enough for me to take a few minutes to myself I pulled out the old tattered Bible and started reading. I found a short hand written note in the back of the Bible. It said "I have left this Bible behind on purpose so that you would be able to have as much comfort in it that I have found."

That old tattered Bible did in fact give not only myself great comfort but those on the boat with me. We all would sit down when were able and I would read a portion out loud. We could feel the presence of God as I read that Bible. The boat Captain claimed to be an atheist. Before he left that boat heading for home he came to know the Lord as his Saviour.

I didn't leave it behind as we were the last ones to be on that boat at the end of Viet Nam. So I took it with me and I still have that old tattered Bible today sitting on my shelf. I take it down every once in awhile to remind me of the marvelous things that God did for us all during that time.

One of the most well used chapters in that Bible that was underlined before I got it.

Psa 27:1  <A Psalm of David.> The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Psa 27:2  When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
Psa 27:3  Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
Psa 27:4  One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
Psa 27:5  For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
Psa 27:6  And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.
Psa 27:7  Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
Psa 27:8  When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
Psa 27:9  Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Psa 27:10  When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.
Psa 27:11  Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
Psa 27:12  Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
Psa 27:13  I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
Psa 27:14  Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Do you face difficult times alone or do you turn to God. God is there for you, He will never leave nor forsake you, all you have to do is turn to Him.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »

When I joined the Navy I took my Bible with me everywhere that I could. I had it through boot camp and my first duty station after that, which was stateside shore duty. Close to the end of my shore duty tour I was up for reassignment. I was being sent overseas to some small command in the Viet Nam area. I decided to go home for a short time to visit with my parents. I had to take all my belongings with me as I would not be going back to the shore command but straight on to my next duty station.

I spent a wonderful 2 weeks with my family and friends. Inevitably it was time to go. I repacked my things and was off on a trip that took over two days to get there. I had looked several times during the trip and couldn't find my Bible. I thought that perhaps it was in the bottom of my seabag which I didn't have time to unpack and repack during the trip. The seabag for most of the trip was in the cargo hold of a plane anyway. When I got to a temporary command waiting for further transportation to my new command, I unpacked and realized that I must have left it behind. I received a letter from my parents a few days later saying that they had it and was sending it to me. I got transfered on to my final destination before it got there. The command I was now at was out in the middle of nowhere and it seemed to take forever to get anything from home. Sometimes as long as six months.

I felt lost without my Bible. It really grieved me to not be able to do my daily Bible reading. When I got onto the boat and put my things down below I saw and old tattered Bible sitting in the hold. I asked whose it was and the guys there told me it was left behind by the guy I was replacing.

I was soon to quickly find out that I would not be able to have a set time for Bible reading. As we pulled out on a mission things got hectic pretty quickly. When things calmed down enough for me to take a few minutes to myself I pulled out the old tattered Bible and started reading. I found a short hand written note in the back of the Bible. It said "I have left this Bible behind on purpose so that you would be able to have as much comfort in it that I have found."

That old tattered Bible did in fact give not only myself great comfort but those on the boat with me. We all would sit down when were able and I would read a portion out loud. We could feel the presence of God as I read that Bible. The boat Captain claimed to be an atheist. Before he left that boat heading for home he came to know the Lord as his Saviour.

I didn't leave it behind as we were the last ones to be on that boat at the end of Viet Nam. So I took it with me and I still have that old tattered Bible today sitting on my shelf. I take it down every once in awhile to remind me of the marvelous things that God did for us all during that time.

One of the most well used chapters in that Bible that was underlined before I got it.

Psa 27:1  <A Psalm of David.> The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Psa 27:2  When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
Psa 27:3  Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
Psa 27:4  One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
Psa 27:5  For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
Psa 27:6  And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.
Psa 27:7  Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
Psa 27:8  When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
Psa 27:9  Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Psa 27:10  When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.
Psa 27:11  Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
Psa 27:12  Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
Psa 27:13  I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
Psa 27:14  Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Do you face difficult times alone or do you turn to God. God is there for you, He will never leave nor forsake you, all you have to do is turn to Him.

Amen Brother.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:29:35 PM »

I once found a Bible by a dumpster when I went to throw out the trash, the Bible had no cover, some of the pages were torn, an since it had rained the Bible was wet in one corner. I took this Bible home, used my hair blow dryer, dried it, taped the torn pages, and made a cover for it out of a cardboard box, I used elmer's glue to put it back together. After that I got and old calendar and made a cover for it. I already had a Bible so I just put it in my bookshelf. The next day I met a young woman who had started to work at my place of employment and she had a New Testament. I asked her if she had a Bible she told me no she never had enough money to buy one. I felt so bad everyone should have a Bible. The next day I presented her with the Bible I found and refurbished, and promised to buy her a new one on payday. The smile on her face made my day! She told me that was her first Bible ever. I kept my promise, but she still liked the first one I gave her better, and read it everyday.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
billinc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 06:52:01 AM »

Praise the Lord Pastor. I to was in the service (US Army) and that passage Psalm 27 is what got me through each and every day. Even know when thing get a little crazy I always turn to God and his word to see me through. He' closer to me than a brother and my one and only friend.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 10:10:51 AM »

Hi billinc,

Welcome to Christians Unit. I hope you enjoy yourself here. There are many wonderful Christians. Jump in and enjoy the fellowship with some wonderful Christians.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the